Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Can anyone that played Magus in this game explain to me what buttons should I press during combat to have all the best features activated :D
I am trying the Magus companion and I am confused how this is supposed to work.
I have both SpellCombat and SpellStrike active and I right click on Touch of Fatigue and click attack on enemy. What is supposed to happen? He should be attacking once and casting one spell through his sword and another in addition to the melee attack? I didn't notice him delivering two touch of fatigue..
Also I took Arcane Strike with him and turn that on.

I've played magus extensively now, so I can say that while it feels kind of awkward, what with the character using normal spellcasting animation, then attacking instead of casting while attacking, it still works out in the end. So if you are casting a touch spell you do get two attacks - one from spellstrike, one from normal attack. This is why I recommended turning on autocast of Touch of fatigue cantrip, as it effectively doubles you attacks (at the cost of -2 to each attack) early in the game.

There are some problems with this though. First, if you turned off the AI (of course you did), your magus will deliver his two attacks, then just stand there doing nothing until ordered to attack again, even if his target is still alive. Only when ordered to attack again, will he repeat the whole thing. No idea why. And you need to pay special attention when you mix in other touch spells in this. Touch spells can be "held" if you miss, and can be delivered later, unless you discharge it accidentally or cast any other spell. This is true in the game as well, so if you are using autocast it will waste any other touch spell you may have missed with in the last round. So, when you miss with a higher level touch spell, you need to turn off the autocast, continue attacking until the spell is successfully delivered, then turn it back on. Ugh.

A bigger problem with the magus is that this class is all about casting spells in melee, and that means AoOs coming your way. In PnP this is handled by dancing in and out melee with 5' steps while casting, and later by casting everything defensively. Neither of which is an option here. But, it looks like concentration checks work different here compared to the PnP - in the game if you succeed on a concentration check in melee you cast without provoking AoO, and if you fail you provoke attacks, but the spell still works. This means that later in the game you have nothing to fear from AoOs as concentration increases with caster level, but early on you can expect to eat a lot of attacks when trying to cast spells in melee - including that Touch of fatigue cantrip. Careful when casting in the middle of a enemy mob.

Arcane strike is an ok choice for a magus. It does use swift action, and magus already has a lot of things that he could also use a swift action for, at least in PnP. But in the game this kind of action management is probably a lot less important, so I'm sure you will get more than enough mileage out of your feat choice.

Dodo1610

Arcane
This game is really weird it allows the player to skip plot missions like the hunting party in season of bloom, just lost 5h of progress because of that. The balancing itself isn't bad just the random encounters are sometimes insane when the game decides to throw 3 giants at you that just roll over you. I am kinda afraid to continue to play because I fear I will get one of the many gamebreakers.
The really disturbing thing is that the game was originally due on august and was delayed only a month before release! I don't even want to know how broken the game was 2 months ago.
It's really sad if the publisher gave them the time they needed PF:K could have been so much better. But these idots at Deep Silver ruin everything and are by far the worst in their business.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
The balancing itself isn't bad just the random encounters are sometimes insane when the game decides to throw 3 giants at you that just roll over you.
In ToEE, you can wander into a Hill Giant + Brown Bear (ECL 9 encounter, IIRC) when you are at level 1 by just following the side quests around Hommlet. And the best part is that if you are a CN party, getting to the treasure in that area is the reason why you are even in Hommlet in the first place! I can see Gygax laughing his head off from beyond the grave, the bastard...

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Did the patches add a keyboard bind for stealth?
Are you asking if the company that is literally breaking their own game just scrambling trying to patch all the broken stuff in it have introduced any new features?

No.

If they made a stealth hotkey, it would likely delete your stash and make time move backwards when you pressed it.

Parabalus

Arcane
Did the patches add a keyboard bind for stealth?
Are you asking if the company that is literally breaking their own game just scrambling trying to patch all the broken stuff in it have introduced any new features?

No.

There is a 5 page list of keybinds for minutae but the only way to stealth is to click that small eye. "New features" fking hell.

:imperialscum:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Can anyone that played Magus in this game explain to me what buttons should I press during combat to have all the best features activated :D
I have both SpellCombat and SpellStrike active and I right click on Touch of Fatigue and click attack on enemy. What is supposed to happen? He should be attacking once and casting one spell through his sword and another in addition to the melee attack? I didn't notice him delivering two touch of fatigue..

You’re using a one handed weapon with nothing in the off hand right? And when you say you took Arcane Strike, you mean you turned it on, not that you took it as a feat right? Magus gets it automatically so you’d be wasting a feat.

You need to get within melee range, click on the enemy to attack, then click the spell and use it. If you target the spell from outside melee, sometimes you’ll just cast it rather than using spellstrike. Also, I don’t think you can enable Arcane Strike and attack and cast a spell within the same round. Pick two out of three.
I am using a Scimitar. I took the feat Arcane Strike and then turned the icon on. The game didn't show it as not recommended at lvl 3. Are you sure you are taking about that an not the abilities you get that use your limited arcane pool?
Ok, one thing still makes no sense. I can attack and cast a spell in same round with -2 bonus. I can also have touch attack spells be channeled through my weapon when I hit. Is that channel a bonus? Why would I want to channel that touch attack through my weapon that has lesser chance to hit if I can cast it in addition to the attack and just attack their touch AC?

The spell doesn’t fire until you land a hit. If you cast shocking grasp and you miss, the spell isn’t wasted. It stays in the weapon and goes into effect as soon as you hit something. Also, if you land a critical, it applies to the spell damage, too.

Arcane strike is a wasted feat. You can’t use it with spellstrike, which requires your whole round. You already have an ability that gives your weapon +1 even if it’s limited by your arcane pool. Weapon enhancement lasts for an entire minute and unlike Arcane Strike it can be used with spellstrike and spell combat.
I would guess spell stays in weapon until you hit in pnp but does it stay in this game?
I have not noticed other melee touch spells staying after you miss.
Arcane strike is unamed damage bonus so it should stack with others. It is a swift action, I don't know why it should not be possible to use it in addition with other skills, you get one free swift action per round.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Uninstalled. I'll wait for a major patch. And 3 hotfixes for the major patch.

In the meantime I'll read pathfinder rulebooks and complain about alchemist being thinly disguised warlock popamoler.

Alchemist is popamole and should be removed. Fight me faggots.
I thought the Alchemist was more an Artificer wannabe?
Narratively/conceptually, maybe, but mechanically the alchemist is probably a little bit closer to warlock. But honestly, they're still pretty different.

Paizo is shit for never making a proper PF version of Warlock and Artificer.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I would guess spell stays in weapon until you hit in pnp but does it stay in this game?
I have not noticed other melee touch spells staying after you miss.
Arcane strike is unamed damage bonus so it should stack with others. It is a swift action, I don't know why it should not be possible to use it in addition with other skills, you get one free swift action per round.
Yes, touch-spells stay for their duration/until discharged. It's actually a little annoying that you can't manually cast them as part of pre-buffing procedure. I'm going to try to target a teammate to see if I can get it to work. If you target yourself, you end up just doing a regular touch attack against yourself.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

In the meantime I'll read pathfinder rulebooks and complain about alchemist being thinly disguised warlock popamoler.

Narratively/conceptually, maybe, but mechanically the alchemist is probably a little bit closer to warlock. But uonestly, they're still pretty different.

The Kineticist was supposed to be the PF version of the Warlock.

Though most people consider it to be a pretty bad class.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/kineticist/

Edit: Also the Occultist has some similarities to the Artificer. I forgot that one.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I've played magus extensively now, so I can say that while it feels kind of awkward, what with the character using normal spellcasting animation, then attacking instead of casting while attacking, it still works out in the end. So if you are casting a touch spell you do get two attacks - one from spellstrike, one from normal attack. This is why I recommended turning on autocast of Touch of fatigue cantrip, as it effectively doubles you attacks (at the cost of -2 to each attack) early in the game.

There are some problems with this though. First, if you turned off the AI (of course you did), your magus will deliver his two attacks, then just stand there doing nothing until ordered to attack again, even if his target is still alive. Only when ordered to attack again, will he repeat the whole thing. No idea why. And you need to pay special attention when you mix in other touch spells in this. Touch spells can be "held" if you miss, and can be delivered later, unless you discharge it accidentally or cast any other spell. This is true in the game as well, so if you are using autocast it will waste any other touch spell you may have missed with in the last round. So, when you miss with a higher level touch spell, you need to turn off the autocast, continue attacking until the spell is successfully delivered, then turn it back on. Ugh.

A bigger problem with the magus is that this class is all about casting spells in melee, and that means AoOs coming your way. In PnP this is handled by dancing in and out melee with 5' steps while casting, and later by casting everything defensively. Neither of which is an option here. But, it looks like concentration checks work different here compared to the PnP - in the game if you succeed on a concentration check in melee you cast without provoking AoO, and if you fail you provoke attacks, but the spell still works. This means that later in the game you have nothing to fear from AoOs as concentration increases with caster level, but early on you can expect to eat a lot of attacks when trying to cast spells in melee - including that Touch of fatigue cantrip. Careful when casting in the middle of a enemy mob.

Arcane strike is an ok choice for a magus. It does use swift action, and magus already has a lot of things that he could also use a swift action for, at least in PnP. But in the game this kind of action management is probably a lot less important, so I'm sure you will get more than enough mileage out of your feat choice.
Ah OK, so having Touch of Fatigue on autocast screws things up :D
I noticed my magus casting Touch of Fatigue every round of combat. If I just keep it on autocast and click attack, does that mean he will deliver one touch of fatigue through sword and another through normal touch attack? Or will he cast that Touch and always deliver it through his sword?
And yes, I did turn off AI because it is impossible to have character not break formation during combat if AI is on. And formation is especially important in a game with Teamwork feats.

Cael

Arcane
For such a dire piece of narrative mess, IWD2 has some genuinely hilarious moments:

IWD2-1.png

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Ah OK, so having Touch of Fatigue on autocast screws things up :D
I noticed my magus casting Touch of Fatigue every round of combat. If I just keep it on autocast and click attack, does that mean he will deliver one touch of fatigue through sword and another through normal touch attack? Or will he cast that Touch and always deliver it through his sword?
And yes, I did turn off AI because it is impossible to have character not break formation during combat if AI is on. And formation is especially important in a game with Teamwork feats.
Afaik, if you have Spell Strike on, you never make any touch attack, it always goes into your weapon and is delivered as part of a regular attack.

Narratively/conceptually, maybe, but mechanically the alchemist is probably a little bit closer to warlock. But uonestly, they're still pretty different.

The Kineticist was supposed to be the PF version of the Warlock.

Though most people consider it to be a pretty bad class.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/kineticist/

Edit: Also the Occultist has some similarities to the Artificer. I forgot that one.

Neither of those classes are much of what they're supposed to be emulating, though, if so. Kineticists are no Warlocks, and Occultists are no Artificers. They may have some mechanical similarities/overlap, but they are conceptually different and have massively different flavour.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
Neither of those classes are much of what they're supposed to be emulating, though, if so. Kineticists are no Warlocks, and Occultists are no Artificers. They may have some mechanical similarities/overlap, but they are conceptually different and have massively different flavour.
I guess Paizo was a bit hesitant about directly copying classes that were not in the d20SRD.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I guess Paizo was a bit hesitant about directly copying classes that were not in the d20SRD.
That is the commonly acknowledged excuse, yes. It is understandable, maybe, but still shit. Game mechanics are not covered by intellectual property laws, and "warlocks" or "artificers" are not concepts subject to copyrights. I get that they didn't want to go head-to-head with WotC/Hasbro, but there were/are 3rd-party products that reference or have their own takes on Warlocks/Artificers, and the fact that WotC/Hasbro didn't target them suggests that they know they wouldn't have an solid case.

Meaning that Paizo are triple-fags.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
But aren't your reactions there determined by your current alignment? I thought my character depreciating Harrim's plight was a neutral evil thing...

Yeah, but all conversation exit answers are "yeah, whatever". SO you get an option to chose alignment related answer but at the end be dismissive anyway. Oh, and why I can't stop him from finishing the quest and get that sweet, sweet anvil for my kingdom - who knows.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
party is level6
valerie
amiri (i think i will ditch amiri soon, usless)
jaethalwaifu
harrim
octavia (2 rogue 3 wiz 1 arcane trickster)
me (conjurer)

Any chance I can kill the 3 fucking greater enraged owlbears? Or I just give up and come back later

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom