Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Serus

Arcane
Patron
So I took the light armor proficiency feat with Tristian - does it say anywhere in the small letters that wearing armor prevents him from casting spells? If yes then maybe I should have read the description better but TBH they should have made this much more clear somewhere.
No, there is no small print anywhere to be found. It's only hinted in the class description ("eschewing armour for... blah, blah") but nothing else.

Canus

Savant
so is it safe to play yet?

As long as you play chapter 1-4 yes. I haven't even reached chapter 4 since I am constantly rerolling my main character.
It appears to be totally finishable now. The critical path is bug free, or at least enough to be clear. Chapter 5 is where most of the major bugs come to a head though. It's not possible to complete a companion quest at the end of Chapter 5 at all.

I would say to go to the start of Chapter 5 but stop before you have to go to the city and wait it out there.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So I took the light armor proficiency feat with Tristian - does it say anywhere in the small letters that wearing armor prevents him from casting spells? If yes then maybe I should have read the description better but TBH they should have made this much more clear somewhere.
No, there is no small print anywhere to be found. It's only hinted in the class description ("eschewing armour for... blah, blah") but nothing else.
As someone that wasted a level taking another class for thematic reasons along with grabbing Light Armor and shit, I can confirm that it doesn't say any-fucking-where. It's also a fucking stupid restriction, because I can't imagine that it's a valid, reasonable vow for Ecclesitheurges of, say, Shelyn, to make, either - and then Shelyn just being like "Haha, no xD" when you want to make prayers to her. At least if it was "just" spell failure you could argue that Ecclesitheurges rely on overly animate gestures when praying or something, but no, it's just a fat "No, can't do that", which is faggoty-ass design for a roleplaying game.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Only companions I really dislike are Regongar and Thotctavia so far, those fucking shit jokes. Nok-Nok seems funny, at least so far. I might be in minority in here, but I like Valeria so far, at least she's not chaotic stupid or try-hard Amiri.

Jaethal I find interesting, but we'll see how her story goes forward, Tristian is boring as fuck so I'm lugging Harrim with me for cleric slot. I'm considering respeccing Jubilost as wizard so I wouldn't have to take Thotctavia with me if I need one.

Edit: Ekundayo comes off very much like Valygar Mk. 2, inoffensively boring generic ranger. Linzi is your generic hyper-halfling.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Scholar
Regongar is alright. My first impression was terrible after just talking to him a bunch at Oleg's, but then I wanted to try out Magus and brought him in, and his interjections are pretty funny. Interesting companion quest too.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In what way? I too find her intolerable and annoying little cunt. But how the fuck is MS? I find her extremely weak and pointless character in my game,she dies fast and misses 90% of her attacks. Sure maybe my build wasn't that good,but all the rest i could find some use for.
being a mary sue has nothing to do with game mechanics
she's written as a mary sue
Uhhh ok,isn't a girl that gets all her power,skills and social status handed on a silver plater without any explanation or logic a mery sue? She is written mighty annoying,that is a fact,but i don't see the MS argument. She is an spoiled egoistical whiny little bitch that wouldn't stop with her sexism. Shame you can't kill people that annoy you,only kick them out if you are lucky.

Now that i think about it,can you have custom made characters as a advisors or are you stuck with that bunch of sjw retards?
That is one sign of a Mary Sue.

A Mary Sue is basically an obvious author insert. She can be the annoying voice of the author's ideals (for SJWs, that would be the one preaching SJW crap 24/7) and is always proven right not matter how stupid and inane her preaching is. She can be the asshole karma Houdini who never gets what is coming to her regardless of what she does. She can be the Wesley, to whom only good and wonderful things happen.

Generally, though, a Mary Sue comes with superpowers that she whips out of her ass in order to save the party, so that she can preach at them some more.

As much as Amiri seems to be an annoyance, the main part of a Mary Sue is that she is better than ANYONE without any real justification alongside being loved by everyone on first sight, best recent example would be (Ma)Rey(Sue) who is better at piloting and repairing the Millenium Falcon than Han Solo, better at the force and lightsaber fghting than even Luke Skywalker, etc. For Amiri to be a Mary Sue would entail that she is by far the best melee fighter which from what I can see is not even remotely true, alongside being better at healing, CC, etc. than any other character. In essence NOT having her in the party would be immensely stupid from a power perspective since she could carry even the worst party on her own, yet I regularly see her as one of the worst or second worst, after Valerie, recruitable NPCs because her starting feats are bad and her stat spread is not that great either.

Question who here even knows where the term Mary Sue comes from?

I agree. In fact I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks Amiri or Valerie are SJW pandering. I mean I haven't finished the game, so if the characters change dramatically or get some stupid twist in the backstory I'll eat my words, but from the moment they are introduced both of them seem to be only there to make fun of the stronk indepentend womyn trope.

Amiri is clear comedy relief. She screams on about how stronk she is and that she need no man, but is the first to go down in any fight if you don't go out of your way to babysit her. And I don't think that is an accident, because Owlcat fucked up her stats. Even her story mission revolves around the same pattern. Amiri wants to fight the boar alone even though he can oneshot her and she can barely touch him, if you don't intervene she dies pretty much immeadeatly. They literally implemented the wall street girl meme
into the game.
Besides that you can bitchslap her in most interactions and she will only like you more. If you wan't to complain about her than maybe because is is basically an anime trope tsundere love interest, but even for this you would normally expect her to be competent. Give her some spicy chicken and she becomes a spicy chick that crits low level creeps and she is fine.

Valerie is the same only worse it seems. You can't even grease her up to get into spicy catfights. She is so comically bad as a fighter, that her best build is basically turning her into an inanimate object. You can even go further and spec her for dazzling display, so that her superpower becomes putting out and being objectified by the male gaze. If that isn't some next level slav trolling, that I don't know what is. I haven't played long enough with her to get far into her personal quests, but looking at her turbodyk haircut and Int8 I wouldn't be surprised that most of the "harassment" she received where just people being kind to the retard.

So no. Not really Mary Sues.
And for the origins:
The name "Mary Sue" comes from the 1974 Star Trek fanfic A Trekkie's Tale. Originally written as a parody of the standard Self-Insert Fic of the time (as opposed to any particular traits), the name was quickly adopted by the Star Trek fanfiction community. Its original meaning mostly held that it was an Always Female Author Avatar, regardless of character role or perceived quality. Often, the characters would get in a relationship with either Kirk or Spock, turn out to have a familial bond with a crew member, be a Half-Human Hybrid masquerading as a human, and die in a graceful, beautiful way to reinforce that the character was Too Good for This Sinful Earth. (Or space, as the case may be.)

Even back then, there wasn't a total consensus on what was or wasn't Mary Sue, since it's not always immediately obvious which character is an Author Avatar. As this essay reveals, suspiciously Mary Sue-like characters were noted in subscriber-submitted articles for 19th-century childrens' magazines, making this trope Older Than You Think.

The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment. She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing.

bataille

Arcane
Regongar is alright. My first impression was terrible after just talking to him a bunch at Oleg's, but then I wanted to try out Magus and brought him in, and his interjections are pretty funny. Interesting companion quest too.

He's a total psycho when it comes to him being a military advisor, though. Absolutely bonkers: drugging soldiers with stimulants, executing everyone, beating them into submission, organizing military outposts when neighbours merely show their faces near the borders, etc. In other words, a perfect general for my kingdom!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Let's face it, your entire post is about how special Ekun is when compared to the other NPCs and yet you are trying to dive and weave to prove he is the opposite. You are undone by your very first sentence: Yes, he is not Valerie. That is because he is better than Valerie. He is optimised while Valerie is an ex-Paladin and therefore not optimised for her new life as a Fighter. Comparatively, he does have special powers, and his special power is being a minority in a SJW infested shithole.

EDIT: Correction: His special power is being a noisy minority in a SJW infested shithole. Asians, apparently, are not minorities to SJWs, because only Black Lives Matter.
I don't even disagree with you about SJWs in principle, but that's really not how Ekun is in this game. Again, the fact that Ekun has better stats than Valerie is really not different than the fact that Coran has better stats than Eldoth.

Also Ekun isn't noisy, he is notably the most taciturn of any companion ;)
Oh, what Ekun is in the game is completely besides the point. I am just using the SJWs' own method of "logic" against them, and it is particularly funny to see them tie themselves up in knots to try and justify their own shit according to their own "logic".

If Ekun is anything even halfway like Danny "I'm too old for this shit" Glover, he'd be one of the better written characters in the game.
How would you know who is better written when you are not even playing this game. Since I know he has me on ignore because I called out his bullshit one too many times and he does not have brains to defend himself, this is info for the rest of you so you know what kind of retard Cael his.
It even says so under his name:
dumbfuck.gif
OnTheEdge.png

Sykar

Arcane
In what way? I too find her intolerable and annoying little cunt. But how the fuck is MS? I find her extremely weak and pointless character in my game,she dies fast and misses 90% of her attacks. Sure maybe my build wasn't that good,but all the rest i could find some use for.
being a mary sue has nothing to do with game mechanics
she's written as a mary sue
Uhhh ok,isn't a girl that gets all her power,skills and social status handed on a silver plater without any explanation or logic a mery sue? She is written mighty annoying,that is a fact,but i don't see the MS argument. She is an spoiled egoistical whiny little bitch that wouldn't stop with her sexism. Shame you can't kill people that annoy you,only kick them out if you are lucky.

Now that i think about it,can you have custom made characters as a advisors or are you stuck with that bunch of sjw retards?
That is one sign of a Mary Sue.

A Mary Sue is basically an obvious author insert. She can be the annoying voice of the author's ideals (for SJWs, that would be the one preaching SJW crap 24/7) and is always proven right not matter how stupid and inane her preaching is. She can be the asshole karma Houdini who never gets what is coming to her regardless of what she does. She can be the Wesley, to whom only good and wonderful things happen.

Generally, though, a Mary Sue comes with superpowers that she whips out of her ass in order to save the party, so that she can preach at them some more.

As much as Amiri seems to be an annoyance, the main part of a Mary Sue is that she is better than ANYONE without any real justification alongside being loved by everyone on first sight, best recent example would be (Ma)Rey(Sue) who is better at piloting and repairing the Millenium Falcon than Han Solo, better at the force and lightsaber fghting than even Luke Skywalker, etc. For Amiri to be a Mary Sue would entail that she is by far the best melee fighter which from what I can see is not even remotely true, alongside being better at healing, CC, etc. than any other character. In essence NOT having her in the party would be immensely stupid from a power perspective since she could carry even the worst party on her own, yet I regularly see her as one of the worst or second worst, after Valerie, recruitable NPCs because her starting feats are bad and her stat spread is not that great either.

Question who here even knows where the term Mary Sue comes from?

I agree. In fact I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks Amiri or Valerie are SJW pandering. I mean I haven't finished the game, so if the characters change dramatically or get some stupid twist in the backstory I'll eat my words, but from the moment they are introduced both of them seem to be only there to make fun of the stronk indepentend womyn trope.

Amiri is clear comedy relief. She screams on about how stronk she is and that she need no man, but is the first to go down in any fight if you don't go out of your way to babysit her. And I don't think that is an accident, because Owlcat fucked up her stats. Even her story mission revolves around the same pattern. Amiri wants to fight the boar alone even though he can oneshot her and she can barely touch him, if you don't intervene she dies pretty much immeadeatly. They literally implemented the wall street girl meme
into the game.
Besides that you can bitchslap her in most interactions and she will only like you more. If you wan't to complain about her than maybe because is is basically an anime trope tsundere love interest, but even for this you would normally expect her to be competent. Give her some spicy chicken and she becomes a spicy chick that crits low level creeps and she is fine.

Valerie is the same only worse it seems. You can't even grease her up to get into spicy catfights. She is so comically bad as a fighter, that her best build is basically turning her into an inanimate object. You can even go further and spec her for dazzling display, so that her superpower becomes putting out and being objectified by the male gaze. If that isn't some next level slav trolling, that I don't know what is. I haven't played long enough with her to get far into her personal quests, but looking at her turbodyk haircut and Int8 I wouldn't be surprised that most of the "harassment" she received where just people being kind to the retard.

So no. Not really Mary Sues.
And for the origins:
The name "Mary Sue" comes from the 1974 Star Trek fanfic A Trekkie's Tale. Originally written as a parody of the standard Self-Insert Fic of the time (as opposed to any particular traits), the name was quickly adopted by the Star Trek fanfiction community. Its original meaning mostly held that it was an Always Female Author Avatar, regardless of character role or perceived quality. Often, the characters would get in a relationship with either Kirk or Spock, turn out to have a familial bond with a crew member, be a Half-Human Hybrid masquerading as a human, and die in a graceful, beautiful way to reinforce that the character was Too Good for This Sinful Earth. (Or space, as the case may be.)

Even back then, there wasn't a total consensus on what was or wasn't Mary Sue, since it's not always immediately obvious which character is an Author Avatar. As this essay reveals, suspiciously Mary Sue-like characters were noted in subscriber-submitted articles for 19th-century childrens' magazines, making this trope Older Than You Think.

The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment. She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing.

I never understood this nonsense with "stronk independänt womynz". We are a hyper-social species and our greatest strength has been and always will be our exceptional potential for cooperation. Even if you name great rulers, scientists, generals, etc. they too were highly dependent on having not only the right people under them but often also the right family, because otherwise it led to disasters like "Et tu, Brute?" and the more complex our societies become the higher the need for cooperation.

hell bovine

Arcane
how many of those are 'I put some armor on my wizards and now my spells fail randomly'
Probably 85% member all the people shocked they have to memorize spells.
To be fair, I was playing on a early hotfix and Tristian could memorize fireballs in his non-domain slots. Now I've restarted with the newest version and he can't do so anymore. But hey, he & everyone else can suddenly grow wings. :lol:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
How do I increase BP per week?!?!?!
I have 4 villages and can't build shit in them coz no enough BP.
Also I had a "kingdom destroyed" after my BP reached -50.
And yeah, I already sold everything and bought BP...

Shadenuat

Arcane
+Economy and actual good projects/mega projects

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom