Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Peter Molyneux gives Fable 2 a 9/10

larpingdude14

Scholar
Peter Molyneux said:
I'd rate it a 9 out of 10,
Peter Molyneux said:
It's the best, most complete game I've ever worked on. The look is perfect, the interface is fantastic. It's a role-playing game, but where are all the f***ing icons? Aren't you supposed to be cluttering the screen up with mini-maps and the like? Not us.
Peter Molyneux said:
RPGs are one of the most complex game types there are, but for me, the idea of being who I want to be and my character being different to yours, well, I think is one of the coolest genres of game.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=196267

AWESOME

Just a 9? Molyneux is slipping. What happened to "Best RPG ever" type statements? Those were fun.

Black

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
i dont care what anyone says, this guy deserves respect, the fable games are pretty good and he enjoys his work
I don't care what you have to say, the fable games are not pretty good and he enjoys making $$$

A user named cat

Well, it does appear a lot better than the first one. Still looks to have shitty AI that just stands there and attacks once every blue moon. But visually it looks darker and less Disney-like.

Gameplay

Gameplay 2

yarpen

Novice
Cloaked Figure said:
i dont care what anyone says, this guy deserves respect, the fable games are pretty good and he enjoys his work
He does deserve respect. He's one of few designers in big companies who actually have the balls to try something new. It doesnt always work out as expected, but at least he tries to take the risk and that's more than can be said about most developers out there.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
yarpen said:
He does deserve respect. He's one of few designers in big companies who actually have the balls to try something new. It doesnt always work out as expected, but at least he tries to take the risk and that's more than can be said about most developers out there.

For that he deserves respect, yes, but for so many other things....

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Cloaked Figure said:
and

Cloaked Figure said:
that was a good counter-arguement
Many players felt that key Fable1 RPG elements were no better than Easter Eggs, as Molyneux has acknowledged.

In this interview, he calls his earlier games essentially just an interesting compilation of features not rising to the pinnacle of game design for lack of integrating all that into a high-quality story arc. He also calls marriage in Fable 1 just "a gimmick."

I also will note that there aren't Fable "games" on the market, only Fable 1 - I don't yet count 2 because it hasn't hit shelves and we therefore haven't seen the full public reaction.

None of this is to say that I don't hope Fable 2 is great and all that he says it will be. I'm just highly skeptical.

Crichton

Prophet
I haven't played the 2nd one (has anyone? I thought it wasn't out yet), but I rather liked the first Fable.

High Points:

-nice looking cartoony artwork

-good melee system (hitting a block actually microstuns you to avoid attack spam)

-ok missile system (I had lots of fun hunting bandits in the woods)

-reasonable variety of enemies

I thought it was a pretty good deal for US$20. I'm sure there was a letdown if you listened to all the pre-release hype and thought it was going to launch the space shuttle, but who (outside of Quiggs) did that?

elander_

Arbiter
"RPGs are one of the most complex game types there are," added Molyneux. "But for me, the idea of being who I want to be and my character being different to yours, well, I think is one of the coolest genres of game."

Everyone loves crpgs and yet nobody wants to make crpgs for the player to role-play. Funny.

Deleted member 7219

Morgoth said:
This talentless hack can go fuck himself. Sorry, I know you all adore Molyneux, but I just had to say this.

Don't lie.

dragonfk

Erudite
To be honest I didnt pay much attention to Fable 2 before, but seeing those two gameplay movies I start to see a potenatial in it. I dont expect a fullblown RPG(and I surely wont be suprised), but nevertheless it seems to be fun. And arent games about just that?

J1M

Arcane
yarpen said:
Cloaked Figure said:
Perhaps you could give me a list of new things Fable 2 planned to do and another list of redacted features that Fable 2 will no longer be doing. My current impression is that those lists are going to be exactly the same length... kinda like Fable 1.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Molyneux is an industry buffoon who's been creatively defunct since eons. All he's good at is popping up every now and then and give his 'retirement point of view' opinions nobody cares about. And praising every new game he makes. Which unfortunately for him, is the only other thing in the world people care even less than his opinions.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
and he enjoys making $$$
You say it like it's a bad thing. What's wrong with somebody using to their talents to make lots of money? Nothing wrong with somebody making himself successful.

Anyways, like him or hate him people, doesn't change the fact that Molyneux is a damned good developer. Not all of his games turn out great but at least he always attempts something new with his newest ips like somebody else mentioned.

And if something goes wrong like the game turning out bad or he gets carried away and overhypes his game, at least he actually has the balls to publicly apologize for it and even criticize his own work. I guess he should instead act like an arrogant prick who thinks he's perfect all the time like Todd Howard, huh?

It's pretty amusing to hear people call him a hack. Nevermind all of the great games he's headed in the past that prove his talents, let's just hate on him because of his most recent games and call him a senile sellout because he likes making money and being successful. Molyneux, a hack. Lulz. If Molyneux is a hack just becuase of a few bad games then you might as well call the other popular devs hacks as well, like Tim Cain and Avellone because they've all worked on some stinkers as well.

Data4

Arcane
Uh-oh...

Those two gameplay videos posted on the first page have actually piqued my interest. One of my biggest gripes about Fable has been fixed-- the world is now free roaming instead of the "open air corridors" feeling of the first game, where you couldn't stray from the paths.

It also sounds like the game is nothing but C&C, which should automatically make it a must-have by hivemind standards, amirite?

Lemunde

Scholar
DefJam101 said:
I prefer Derek Smart over Molyneux, to be honest.

I don't think dropping his name in forums works anymore. I tried it a few times and he never appeared. I guess he finally figured out that no matter what he says he's still a douche.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom