Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Malpercio

Arcane
If you are playing hard mode even more, it's not hard to pass the 100 hours mark.

Ivan

Arcane
PSA: The patch-proof version 2 of the Orchestral Mod is out. I'm actually going to be trying this out now. I quite liked the original music, so it will be a nice change of pace for me. :)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the post game bosses are not fucking around. malicious auroral dragon is wrecking me out, took 2 hours to beat. party level 66-68. maybe i should take the draconian mode off at this point.

Ziggy

Scholar
you can do everything whenever in post game, but there's still an order. you went after that dragon way underleveled. anyway, :salute:

Vorark

Erudite
PSA: The patch-proof version 2 of the Orchestral Mod is out. I'm actually going to be trying this out now. I quite liked the original music, so it will be a nice change of pace for me. :)

Nice! Btw, mod files and instructions can be found here.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
you can do everything whenever in post game, but there's still an order. you went after that dragon way underleveled. anyway, :salute:
yeah post game is really open ended, and i think most content are optional, and i love the structure, but it doesnt do a good job making you know the proper level range.

Ivan

Arcane
Does the campaign remain super linear throughout?

Go to this town, oh wait go this town now, oh you gotta fight this boss before you can open the next town's gates, etc?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
weaker enemies will just run from you

that's really cool

EarthBound (1994) had pretty much the same mechanic in place:

1. The smaller monsters would run away if you were much stronger than them.
2. If you caught with them the battle would resolve automatically without opening the combat screen
3. If they've managed to run far enough they would eventually stumble upon allies and ambush you

Ziggy

Scholar
yeah post game is really open ended, and i think most content are optional, and i love the structure, but it doesnt do a good job making you know the proper level range.
it's roughly the same order of places as you went the first time

Ivan

Arcane
is the endgame where the red doors come into play?

also, am I missing out on EPIC LOOT by not tracking down the crossbow targets?

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
is the endgame where the red doors come into play?

also, am I missing out on EPIC LOOT by not tracking down the crossbow targets?
You'll get the key for the red doors in the main quest (in the first half), the key for the other type of locked doors is obtained in the postgame.

The reward for getting all the crossbow targets in a location is some stat seeds, and the reward for everything is some hat you can get as loot elsewhere.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I disagree. The post-game is extremely effective at giving you an idea of level range per area. The method is just horrifically brutal :D.

It happened to me with the triad of Crystalotl, Malicious Arachtagon and Malicious Auroral Dragon. I got tastefully raped about half a dozen times by each of them before I finally said to myself "self, this is just not working. You should stop screeching at the screen with impotent rage and go do other stuff for awhile". I ended up going into the Labyrinth and finishing up ruler requests.

Best thing I ever did
love.png

Jinn

Arcane
So I just got my own ship. This game is amazeballs.

I'm freeeeeeeeeee

How can you stand to run around with that Draconian Quest shit still up on your screen? You know you can disable that notification, right?

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
lol doesn't really bother me but thanks for the tip :)

again, this is reminding me of being little playing Pokemon on my gameboy. so much simple fun.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Finally finished this. Calasmos was easy >_>

Doesnt help my characters are grinded to level 97-99 and have some of the best (i didnt do all the trial, but i did have mosy of the strongest equipments that you can obtain without doing all of them perfectly.

A mighty fine game. I hope dragon quest 12, and 13 is loosely connected to this one like 4,5,6 did. I enjoyed my adventure immensely. Farewell :salute:

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/dragon-...-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-four-million

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age shipments and digital sales top four million
At least 3,266,285 sales come from Japan.

Total worldwide shipments and digital sales for Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age have exceeded four million units, Square Enix announced.
That includes the following versions of the game:
  • Japanese (PS4, 3DS) – Released July 29, 2017
  • English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish (PS4, PC) – Released September 4, 2018
  • Korean (PS4)
The Japanese 3DS version last appeared on the Media Create sales charts in October 2017 at 1,741,582 retail sales, while the Japanese PlayStation 4 version last appeared in September 2017 at 1,347,582 retail sales. We also know that 113,182 digital copies were sold on PlayStation 4 and 62,939 digital copies were sold on 3DS in Japan in the game’s first two days of release. That said, at least 3,266,285 sales come from Japan.

Ivan

Arcane
HoboForEternity bro, can you talk about the difficulty curve with the Hard Mode turned on. Did you play with it all the way through. Did you have to go grind b/c you found yourself too underleveled for some shit. Did it stay fun with it throughout?

I'm having a blast with the game and just put it down for a short week's break due to family stuff.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will assume that you're using at least the following three Draconian quests for "Hard Mode":
1. no fleeing from combat
2. no experience for weak enemies
3. super strong monsters- I believe this equates to an across-the-board 20% increase in stats for all mobs, and a concurrently increased chance to inflict status effects

If you play with all three you'll find the game markedly harder from base difficulty, but it's the kind of hard that's really enjoyable. Enemies present a challenge, and can fuck you up if you don't respect them/learn their attacks and how to counter, but you'll rarely hit a wall that forces you to grind super hard or anything. One other side effect of stronger enemies is that you're heavily incentivized to upgrade your equipment at the forge, which I personally enjoy a great deal.

I say you rarely have to grind super hard, but you DO have to do some grinding. Luckily the game makes it pathetically easy to rack up millions of experience in a fairly small amount of time, especially late into the post-game. So it's not too painful imo.

As far as the curve, I think there are three areas/bosses that present major challenges which require you to level heavily and/or unlock new abilities in a concentrated manner to beat without just getting raped:
1. The first Tentacular fight- happens fairly early in Act I. This is probably the easiest of the walls.
2. The first Dora-In-Grey fight- happens much later in Act I. I could make the argument that this is actually the hardest wall in the game. It requires either a lot of levelling prior to the fight or specialized gear/abilities, or some combination of both (I personally used both).
3. The triad of Malicious Arachtagon, Malicious Auroral Serpent and Crystalotl- I mentioned this in my previous post. These guys are just brutal... three actions per round, all use hard-hitting AoE attacks fairly regularly (though they seem to be limited to 1/round on those, thank God), two of the three can fuck your party up with nasty status effects. Luckily when you encounter them you have access to a party member whose abilities make dealing with their insane damage output much easier, if you're smart and paying attention.

Aside from those three, I suspect you'll find the game much more enjoyable and just the right level of bitch-slapping hard. I know I did :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom