Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

MartialDoctor

Barely Literate
I have been eyeing NWN lately. It's cool to see that it's still alive and kicking! I may have to jump back into this one at some point.

cowking

Scholar
Finally got around to playing swordflight again in the hopes Chapter Two delivers (spoiler: it doesn't). I'll only touch part 1 briefly because it's not the module you start playing the series for anyway, you just have to get it over with.

Difficulty in Chapter One depends entirely on your AC because it's filled with default AI melee mobs. That's all I really have to say about it. A wizard can solo everything easy peasy with a buffed pseudodragon familiar (AC 24-26, 1d4+10 fire damage from flame weapon via scribe scroll).

You don't really get any choice in anything and any choices you make are meaningless (such as whether to show certain documents at the end), as are all skill checks (which are far too difficult compared to benefits which don't change anything).

Km0HiTl.jpg

IkLk1F2.jpg

I don't know if this is a legit bug or a result of me using project Q, but the shapeshifter shamans in the desert drop a skin on death.

aAz1JMh.jpg

Chapter two begins with my chaotic evil wizard working for a lawful good paladin of tyr who assigns me to help the church of ilmater in the slums. The slums themselves feel like they're there just for the sake of being there (every big city needs slums). You have a bunch of peasants you can tell to shut the fuck up and get some 3xp + evil alignment and laugh at their shitty lives while you go beat up some gang of vanilla AI melee thugs. You'll also find a haunted house which employs the same twist you've already seen in Chapter One, which is repeated further down the road. Didn't really matter to me, simply because having a high AC familiar with occasional stinking cloud was enough to beat all combat with ease. One charge from wand of hold monster was enough to permanently negate the boss thug while my henchman was power + sneak attacking enemies for 30+ damage and two shotting everything.

Just like the slums, every city needs a thieves guild (which was also advertised here in the previous pages). To join you need to pass a maze filled with locked doors and traps where you watch a disabling/lockpicking bar against DC 25 approximately 20 times, after which you reach a dead end and a floating text prompt to search the area.

f1aB2zz.jpg

After becoming an official taffer, I get assassination quests befitting my nature. Unfortunately they're not the epic type where you have to off some wizard who means business, forcing you to examine their daily rhytm to find an opening to trap their porch so you stand a chance. Or maybe they could have a time window of lapsed buffs they like to keep up at all times. Or maybe their pet cat wasn't actually a cat but a shapeshifting magical guardian beast of some sort.

Or maybe you'll be tasked to finish off a noble who lives in a well designed castle with well placed custom-AI patrols, with high enough skill checks to punish stupid players who haven't acquainted themselves with the game's detection and stealth mechanics.

No. Instead, you run to the other side of the city and walk inside a house in broad daylight to kill an effortless rating commoner before running (something you'll be doing a lot) back to your guild for mission accomplished. This is what I expect (unfortunately) in an MMO, not a custom made NWN module.

Under each zone are LARGE sewers. Every sewer looks the same, has the same repeating encounters with bioware AI, same trash/loot piles (weapon/armor crafting parts and 1-5 gp). You can expect to hit the same repeating encounter(s) dozens of times in your slog through the sewers just like in Chapter One.

exKDlRM.jpg

Under each sewer (in the same repeating camp) is an entrance to dark calimport. You could expect to hit anything from magical beasts to spellcasting cults to just about anything you can imagine. Maybe there's even a portal to fuck knows where.

Instead, you find orcs and kobolds. Plus the same pack of beetles you've killed about 12 times by now.

With bioware AI.

Well... there was a shimmer of hope of actually having a choice in how you deal with the orcs but it quickly reveals to be an illusion. There is only one way to proceed.

9fZNaj8.jpg

If you decide to tell the orc to stay put and try to go find another way to solve the issue, you're simply forced from entering the relevant areas.

fyLr4Gr.jpg

It's possible there might have been another solution for this quest in the future by siding with the orc, but I found myself having to force myself to continue, so I simply dropped the module at this point.

Chapter Two also continues with overly hard, meaningless skill checks where your reward ranges from 10-50xp and 50-200gp when you're carrying 40k. I would switch every single skill check in both modules for a single skill check which enables you access to an otherwise unreachable area, with one well designed custom-AI fight and a piece of loot found nowhere else.

Q3BUsce.jpg

GYWcGU4.jpg

Is this a module I could recommend to a codexer to dust off their old nwn cds for, to install the game with patch haks and relevant overrides and custom heads, in addition to designing a character build from level 1 to 25? No.

Is this a module where you can expect to see enemy wizards actively scout areas with their possessed familiars and prebuff themselves upon seeing the player... no.

Is this a module where you can expect an undead sorcerer to use stinking cloud on top of his mind-immune henchmen while another casts invisibility sphere which they then proceed to abuse for your pleasure. No.

Overall I get the feeling the author put a quota on himself to make a module that's 50 hours long instead of creating a good module with inspired content. It doesn't even matter if the second portion of Chapter Two was the best nwn in existence, simply because it's unreasonable to make the player wade through 20 hours of railroad fetch quests and vanilla combat before it.

Here's a complete list of typos I found in case there's ever a revision so my sacrifice wasn't in vain.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll be interested to see how the above triggers Lilura. Here's hoping she doesn't label you as a newfag while flaunting her blog's KingComrade. I'm very keen to start playing Swordflight based on her recommendations but appreciate that there is a dissenting voice in a forum its developer (rogueknight333) also routinely visits.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Finally got around to playing swordflight again in the hopes Chapter Two delivers (spoiler: it doesn't)...

As I understand it, your criticisms are basically that the modules are too easy and that a host of meaningful choices is not provided in every last conversation and sidequest.

As for the former, it is regularly held to be one of the hardest NWN modules ever. I know of only a small handful of modules with difficulty that is comparable or possibly greater, and everyone else I have ever discussed the matter with knows of even fewer than me. It is not uncommon for it to be condemned and given up on as impossibly hard (and especially so for wizards - perhaps you should consider drawing up a list of tactical tips, or a Let's Play video demonstrating your masterful skills, or something of that nature to which I could point such critics). It would certainly be possible for me to make modules that are even harder (in fact many of the encounters in the released version were nerfed after my initial testing runs), but I am not certain who would play it. So good luck finding a module that does a better job here (and let me know if you do, because I expect I would want to play it).

As for the latter, most modules and games provide very few truly meaningful choices. Most quests ultimately end up with the player in the same place, perhaps after a slightly different path. Swordflight does indeed not provide meaningful choices in every single conversation and quest. It does, however, provide them regularly, and regularly provides reactions based on class, race, alignment, etc. (many of which one might not even realize were present without also playing the modules with a character of a very different kind). I am surely forgetting something, but, offhand, I struggle to think of a module or even game that offers more of them. Again, if you know of one that does, I would be interested to know of it.

It also appears that you have found 11 typos in a module with about 220000 words of dialogue (even more counting things like journal entries and item descriptions). I do not know what to say to that. It seems I must admit you have thereby proven my incompetence.

Is this a module I could recommend to a codexer to dust off their old nwn cds for, to install the game with patch haks and relevant overrides and custom heads, in addition to designing a character build from level 1 to 25? No.

So what modules would you recommend? As I have already suggested, given how high your standards appear to be, I am very curious to know what would satisfy them.

cowking

Scholar
As for the former, it is regularly held to be one of the hardest NWN modules ever. I know of only a small handful of modules with difficulty that is comparable or possibly greater, and everyone else I have ever discussed the matter with knows of even fewer than me. It is not uncommon for it to be condemned and given up on as impossibly hard

It's possible this is true for the second portion of this module (which I didn't reach), but the first portion in calimport is filled with unvaried melee combat with repeated encounters that is completely negated by having high AC and occasional CC for a high AB target. It would do absolute wonders for this module to have a few custom crafted encounters somewhere along there to mix things up.

The only thing that impressed me in any way was ramurg's non-evil alignment in chapter one so you couldn't negate his fear aura with prot. from evil. It was a nice small touch but he died in about 3-4 fireballs from a wand.

especially so for wizards - perhaps you should consider drawing up a list of tactical tips, or a Let's Play video demonstrating your masterful skills, or something of that nature to which I could point such critics

I already did, everything from level 1 to 9 can be done by a buffed pseudodragon with ease. By the time you get 4th level spells it becomes even easier with imp. invisibility and stoneskin so I switched to a lesser familiar to get access to thieves guild. Since there is no custom-AI for any creatures a spellcaster can't draw aggro if you target your familiar's opponent for flanking bonus.

Protection from evil on an evil wizard makes you immune to just about everything except grease/web/slow in terms of status and already lasts 15 vanilla hours on a level 5 wizard. Don't forget pseudodragon has true seeing so he can fight in darkness/cloud of bewilderment in addition to stinking cloud and evard's black tentacles.

As long as your familiar survives the fight with one hp, you can feed him to full hp (aka potion of heal).

It also appears that you have found 11 typos in a module with about 220000 words of dialogue (even more counting things like journal entries and item descriptions). I do not know what to say to that. It seems I must admit you have thereby proven my incompetence.

I was just trying to help.

So what modules would you recommend? As I have already suggested, given how high your standards appear to be, I am very curious to know what would satisfy them.

None I've played so far. It's not too much to ask for one custom-AI fight that makes use of spells in 20 hours of gameplay + preparation the player has to make. I'm not being unreasonable. It doesn't even have to be great custom-AI.

A fighter who's set to quaff a potion of prot. from evil/good depending on player's alignment and force target enemy spellcasters/archers would make any standard melee gangbang more interesting/difficult.

An invisible mage who does nothing but counterspell with dispel magic without you even realizing what's up (think city gates).

I didn't see even a single dispel magic or dismissal in 20 hours of play.

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... It would do absolute wonders for this module to have a few custom crafted encounters somewhere along there to mix things up.

Perhaps. However, most players find it quite difficult enough as it is, many find it excessively or even impossibly so, and therefore, as I said, if I made it even more difficult in some of the ways you suggest, I am not certain who would be playing it. I myself think many allegedly difficult encounters in it are not really that hard if one uses good tacitcs, and especially not if one powergames through them using every exploit NWN makes possible, but a lot of people do not agree. It is impossible to please everyone.

I was just trying to help.

In context, it did not appear that way to me. As you are now actually making constructive suggestions rather that criticizing the series for not doing things it either actually does do or comes relatively closer to doing than 99% of the alternatives, I suspect I may have been oversensitive. If in fact you intended nothing more than to be helpful, I apologize for the above remark, which in that case was uncalled for. I do regularly make revisions so a list such as that you drew up is in fact helpful, whatever the intention, and is appreciated.

None I've played so far...

I suspected as much. If you have not yet given up on NWN completely and are fond of custom crafted fights, you might want to give Siege of the Heavens a try.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
It would certainly be possible for me to make modules that are even harder (in fact many of the encounters in the released version were nerfed after my initial testing runs), but I am not certain who would play it. So good luck finding a module that does a better job here (and let me know if you do, because I expect I would want to play it).
this sounds like you invested a lot of brain power, whereas all you did was ramping up numbers to break out of dnd's power curve creating artificial difficulty. attributes on steroids and higher level (higher in clevel than the pc) content became dull really fast. i liked chapter one for its focused setting/gameplay and great atmosphere. chapter two on the other hand... halfway through it was just meh, and more of the same repetitive encounters. there simply was no change in gameplay besides buffing up and gaming the system. like cowking i would have loved to meddle with some really varied encounters to keep me interested.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
The only type of combat that NWN does well are massive outdoor battles, for example the ones in the last 1/3rd of Aeilund Saga Chapter 1. It has to do with both the engine (lacking Infinity Engine's rtwp lightning in a bottle) as well as the 3E ruleset (not really the engine's fault that you can Finger of Death liches). It's why I never judge NWN modules by their combat, for better or worse.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
You can beat Swordflight with a pure Wizard? I really need to give a pure arcane caster a try and learn to play one.

Jason Liang

Arcane
What I mean is that I pretty much play Druid and 95% of my combats are strip Spell Mantles, toss Finger of Death at the boss, THE END.

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
this sounds like you invested a lot of brain power...

Maybe because I did? That is not to say I never made any mistakes or oversights, but if it were that easy to design NWN combat that is actually challenging (for most players) without being impossible, and reasonably balanced for most reasonable builds, you would expect everyone to be doing it. In fact, almost no one is. For example:

What I mean is that I pretty much play Druid and 95% of my combats are strip Spell Mantles, toss Finger of Death at the boss, THE END.

Very easy to set things up so that is not good enough, but apparently that is not done 95% of the time.

We are also talking here about an actual philosophical difference here about how combat should be designed, and not just me being lazy. Most of Swordflight's combats are designed to usually be relatively easy for a player who plans for them and goes in more or less prepared. Do things right you win, but if you make any mistakes the monsters are tough enough to get you in serious trouble very fast. That was also how most encounters in the IE games, Swordflight's main inspiration, worked as well. Strategic resource management is also key, since even a relatively easy encounter could still require you to expend resources of one sort or another.

From what cowking has said, I gather he prefers combat where one gets curve balls thrown that mess up one's plans, e.g., when he talked of liking the fact that Ramurg's alignment unexpectedly makes Protection from Evil useless. Many players would consider something like that quite unfair and unpleasant, and object to being defeated by some random factor that they could not reasonably have predicted. I think there is something to be said for both approaches, and do mix things up a little, but I do not want to do things like that too often. Indeed, a major factor in Swordflight that actually does introduce random factors that wreck one's plans and preparations is Zarala's idiotic AI, which is probably the second most common cause of the complaints I receive, after the variations on "This is too hard." Again, you cannot please everyone.

Jason Liang

Arcane
What I mean is that NWN is primarily a platform for storytelling and for adventuring. Trying to make thoughtful tactical combat the primary focus is a bit hopeless.

Yes, you can script your bosses to be immune to Finger of Death to make the fight more challenging, but actually Druids casting DC 45 Fingers of Death is what the rule system intends. After all, that's why you invest 3 feats to maximize Spell Focus. It's meant to work. Again, it's not the engine or implementation but the actual 3E ruleset that trivializes tactical combat here.

We all know that ToEE is a much better engine for tactical combat (one of the best ever designed for a computer game) but even ToEE combat starts to fall apart past clvl 9 or so. The 3E ruleset is designed to trivialize combat as characters approach epic levels.

I'm gonna stop before I start full blown ranting against 3E again.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm shocked that something cheesy breaks an RPG. Try playing Swordflight with a Shifter. My biggest criticisms have always been the at-best serviceable and at-worst trivial writing, and the lack of culminations for many, many quests.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
What I mean is that NWN is primarily a platform for storytelling and for adventuring. Trying to make thoughtful tactical combat the primary focus is a bit hopeless...

As someone trying exactly that I naturally think this overstates the case. Of course it is hard to rein in all the cheesy exploits that can break the game, but that is true of everything. And certainly there are games with better tactical systems, but there are also plenty with even worse ones. There are a few NWN modules with interesting tactical combat, just not very many of them, and that is more because few authors bother to try than because of some inherent impossibility. When it comes to epic level combat specifically, I think it is possible to make the case that NWN actually handles that better than most other D&D games (or at least that it could do so with fairly minor modifications).

...The 3E ruleset is designed to trivialize combat as characters approach epic levels.

There is definitely some truth to this. Part of the problem is the Auto-fail on 1 feature, which means one cannot really rely on saves for protection and must go for complete immunity. Partly because of this, and partly because many spells, abilities, etc., are set up to function in a completely binary way (instant kill or no effect at all) one is often left with the choice of rendering many spells, etc. either useless (if you make everything immune) or OP (if you do not), with nothing in between the extremes.

I'm gonna stop before I start full blown ranting against 3E again.

I am well aware of many flaws present in 3E, so I would not necessarily disagree with you if you did start ranting about it. However, to be fair to that system its flaws would need to be considered in the context of all the other RPG systems that have been tried, most of which have flaws at least as bad.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'll be interested to see how the above triggers Lilura. Here's hoping she doesn't label you as a newfag while flaunting her blog's KingComrade.

It doesn't matter what silly things a rando newfag tries to say against Swordflight ITT. It took 9 years for this thread to get 300,000 hits. And that's mostly from the same circle of 'Dexers F5'ing it during the convos/debates.

Thus, this thread lacks influence and opinions expressed herein are unread/lost in the shuffle in comparison to the Vault/my blog, both of which are decidedly pro-Swordflight.

Now, if the newfag had a blog that gets 1 mil views per year (like mine does); if, when one searches for strings such as "NWN mods", "NWN modules", or "Swordflight" in Google and its write-ups popped up with high ranked/page 1 indexing and not mine; and if it was a decent, high-energy writer that pulls people in rather than just a shitposter that puts people off, I might feel motivated to take it to task.

Besides, Rogueknight doesn't need me to step in and defend Swordflight. Lots of 'tards have tried to take him to task, and his responses have been polite, patient and informative, even in the face of startling impudence.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Admittedly it amuses me he stopped before some of the better fights like i am not sure if he is trolling or just a ironic sense of timing when,
Under each sewer (in the same repeating camp) is an entrance to dark calimport. You could expect to hit anything from magical beasts to spellcasting cults to just about anything you can imagine. Maybe there's even a portal to fuck knows where.

Instead, you find orcs and kobolds. Plus the same pack of beetles you've killed about 12 times by now.

With bioware AI.

Well... there was a shimmer of hope of actually having a choice in how you deal with the orcs but it quickly reveals to be an illusion. There is only one way to proceed.

If you decide to tell the orc to stay put and try to go find another way to solve the issue, you're simply forced from entering the relevant areas.

It's possible there might have been another solution for this quest in the future by siding with the orc, but I found myself having to force myself to continue, so I simply dropped the module at this point.

He complains about lack of diversity then stops playing right before you do actually get to fight a random cult.

Then if he bothered to go hit up the market sewer entrance he would get beetles, basilisks, hook horrors, then stingers in a row.

I feel like you ground out part 1 then two in a row and burnt out just before you hit some of the more interesting fights, if your bored you can always rush the paladin quests then do the city gates sewer quest then the follow up ones outside the city, they have more variety and difficulty then inside the city.

Last edited:
I liked part 2 the most, but does 3 have anything else apart from combat?
First few hours are essentially island-hopping killing baddies, and combat encounters get more and more ridiculous.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I liked part 2 the most, but does 3 have anything else apart from combat?
First few hours are essentially island-hopping killing baddies, and combat encounters get more and more ridiculous.

Ch. 3 is generally regarded as being less good than Ch. 2, and is certainly more combat-focused. However, once you get to Zazesspur you will have a certain amount of non-linear questing, including some non-combat quests, that is not totally dissimilar to Calimport in Ch. 2.

Several things went a bit wrong in the making of the middle chapters. I find that the writing tends to take me more time than most other tasks involved in module-building, so it is harder to produce as much of it when I have a lot of RL distractions interfering with this project (which I have had, especially during the making of Ch. 3). Also I was seduced by the prospect of making NWN history with a series going all the way from Lvl 1 to 40, which led to the middle chapters being padded out with some combat that might reasonably be described as filler. Finally, most of the feedback I get on the module, both good and bad, has overwhelmingly focused on the combat which gave me the (perhaps mistaken) impression that was pretty much all fans of the series cared about, leading to more emphasis on that aspect.

hell bovine

Arcane
As for the former, it is regularly held to be one of the hardest NWN modules ever. I know of only a small handful of modules with difficulty that is comparable or possibly greater, and everyone else I have ever discussed the matter with knows of even fewer than me. It is not uncommon for it to be condemned and given up on as impossibly hard (and especially so for wizards - perhaps you should consider drawing up a list of tactical tips, or a Let's Play video demonstrating your masterful skills, or something of that nature to which I could point such critics). It would certainly be possible for me to make modules that are even harder (in fact many of the encounters in the released version were nerfed after my initial testing runs), but I am not certain who would play it. So good luck finding a module that does a better job here (and let me know if you do, because I expect I would want to play it).
I honestly found some of the low level combat as a wizard in Lankhmar Nights (module started with a level one character) much tougher than anything in Swordflight chapter one. Generally the higher you go with spellcasters in NWN, the easier it becomes, because the enemy ai can't deal with high level spellcasting at all. Case in point beginning of chapter three in SF, where you get to fight the lich. I don't recall anymore where my wizard had the spell, probably a scroll, but it was some sort of demon summoning. I forgot how big the animation is, so the balor (or whatever it was) ended up blocking the entrance. The lich proceeded to unload his entire spellbook on it and then, after the spell wore off (because that demon was quite useless offensively, though an effective door stopper), tried to melee my wizard.

I had fun with chapter 1 and 2 (didn't finish 3 because I dislike Zarala), and compared to default NWN combat the encounters were challenging. But compared to something like liches in SCS-BG2, it was much easier.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I honestly found some of the low level combat as a wizard in Lankhmar Nights (module started with a level one character) much tougher than anything in Swordflight chapter one.

Haven't got around to playing that one yet. It was recommended to me by Greg, who has also played Swordflight extensively. But Greg isn't a combatfag, and mentioned nothing of its supposed difficulty.

hell bovine

Arcane
I honestly found some of the low level combat as a wizard in Lankhmar Nights (module started with a level one character) much tougher than anything in Swordflight chapter one.

Haven't got around to playing that one yet. It was recommended to me by Greg, who has also played Swordflight extensively. But Greg isn't a combatfag, and mentioned nothing of its supposed difficulty.
From what I recall, LN lets you choose what level you'd like to start at and whether you want a bonus item (which is a ring with haste? I think). Then there are henchmen, if you take a strong one one (some of the fighters), you'll have an easy time. I picked the sorceress first, not a good idea for a wizard. :lol: It's not a combat focused module, though.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I honestly found some of the low level combat as a wizard in Lankhmar Nights (module started with a level one character) much tougher than anything in Swordflight chapter one. Generally the higher you go with spellcasters in NWN, the easier it becomes, because the enemy ai can't deal with high level spellcasting at all...

D&D rules tend to be hard on low level mages, so I made a point of insuring that mages had what they needed to survive. As a result it is certainly possible that someone who knows exactly what he is doing might actually find Ch. 1 easier with a mage than some other low level modules that pay no real attention to combat balance at all. However, most players apparently do not find it easier. High level mages, like most NWN casters, are indeed OP. This is not just because of the AI, but also the relative weakness of non-caster classes, which makes balancing for both very difficult. Resting restrictions are my main tool to keep casters in check a bit, but again someone who knows what he is doing has a variety of ways to manage them (not to mention that a little save-scumming can render them all but meaningless).

...compared to default NWN combat the encounters were challenging. But compared to something like liches in SCS-BG2, it was much easier.

That is hardly surprising since my main goal was to raise default NWN to something roughly approximating the difficulty of default BG2, while SCS is designed to make default BG2 even harder. And again, judging by the majority of the feedback I have gotten, a default BG2 level of difficulty is quite hard enough, or even too hard, for a large number of players. I do not necessarily want to make the combats as hard as I possibly could, lest the series become even more niche than it already is. My intention in many cases was simply to make encounters hard enough that players would be forced to expend resources to deal with them, and be punished for making mistakes.

If it turns out that a significant number of people want something even harder I suppose I could consider at some point adding in some optional encounters in which I really go crazy with the difficulty.

I played Lankhmar Nights a long time ago, but since it has been put through multiple significant revisions since that time (and a good thing too, since the version I played was extremely buggy), my recollections of it might not be relevant to the current version. From what I do recall, it was for the most part not especially difficult. However, it was extremely non-linear, and provided the player with very little guidance as to what to do or where to go, meaning that it was quite possible to stumble into an encounter intended for much higher-level characters, which on rare occasions led to fights that were actually a challenge.

hell bovine

Arcane
That is hardly surprising since my main goal was to raise default NWN to something roughly approximating the difficulty of default BG2, while SCS is designed to make default BG2 even harder. And again, judging by the majority of the feedback I have gotten, a default BG2 level of difficulty is quite hard enough, or even too hard, for a large number of players.
I don't think it's possible to recreate anything similar to the BG2 experience in NWN, because BG2 had full party control. If my party in BG2 has two spellcasters, I can use them to work together as a team, e.g. one mage casts greater malison, the other follows with confusion. That's fun. If you have a spellcaster henchman in NWN, they are useless at best, and at worst a clusterfuck waiting to happen. And that's not fun. I only ever take spellcasting henchmen in NWN because of a) quests or b) if I really like them.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Well, it is a different game using different systems and calling for somewhat different tactical methods, so it is something of an apples to oranges comparison, but you are the one who made the comparison in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom