Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Choices & Consequences in Dragon Age

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MOMMY, HELP, HE USED AD HOMINEM.

Araanor

Liturgist
I have an idea for a fantasy setting. It will have elves. And dwarves. But the elves will be called dwarves and the dwarves will be called elves. Blows your mind eh.

Mareus

Magister
Cloaked Figure said:
if i play for an average of 2 hours per day, completing the game with most sidequests done (bear in mind that i dont like to rush games, i explore the scenery and shit) how many months will it take?
Err... How did you manage to make over 246 posts in 3 days? :shock:

LOL, 82 posts per day! Keep up the good work, soldier. :salute:

Mareus

Magister
Darth Roxor, just so there is no mistake, I was being sarcastic.

To Cloaked Figure,... err... you are amazing. The best poster in years. If you keep up this good work, there won't be enough tags for you, so we will have to hire Carrie to make you a special, shiny one.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So I guess you just had a laggy double-post, and editted the second to respond to my post from the future?

And no, I'm not following you around, I'm just checking almost every single thread, and it's hard not to find your dozens of useless bollocks lying around everywhere.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It'd take you roughly two weeks if you play for about two hours a day. I completed everything in Mass Effect in just over 30 hours.

As for BioWare, I haven't liked any of their games since Baldur's Gate II. Every game since then has been pretty rubbish.

senduran

Novice
yes plz said:
It'd take you roughly two weeks if you play for about two hours a day. I completed everything in Mass Effect in just over 30 hours.

Many people who liked the game also played it through 2 or 3 times, so at a push you could extend your game time out to a month and a half. That gets you closer to the Fable 2/ FO3 release time frame.

(clarification: 'you' in the above = Cloaked Figure)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
senduran said:
made said:
Bioware's track record of serving stereotypes and creating generic and shallow characters, whether in D&D, SW or their own IPs like JE.

Ah. I can make my own unjustified (yet more correct!) claims too: Bioware has no such track record, since all their characters were unique and deep. :shrug:
Who wants to bet if Korgarous Wrexwind will appear as one of the party members in Dragon Age? Or Anocarth Skyden?

Solohk

Scholar
senduran said:
made said:
Bioware's track record of serving stereotypes and creating generic and shallow characters, whether in D&D, SW or their own IPs like JE.

Ah. I can make my own unjustified (yet more correct!) claims too: Bioware has no such track record, since all their characters were unique and deep. :shrug:
And here's the part where I can no longer quite tell if senduran is serious or is trolling.

senduran

Novice
Vaarna_Aarne said:
senduran said:
made said:

Who wants to bet if Korgarous Wrexwind will appear as one of the party members in Dragon Age? Or Anocarth Skyden?

You realise that, other than being male, those characters share virtually no similarities, right? I'll take your bet that there will be a male character in Dragon Age, yes :roll:

senduran

Novice
Solohk said:
senduran said:
made said:

And here's the part where I can no longer quite tell if senduran is serious or is trolling.

But apparently here isn't the part where anyone on this forum is able to justify anything negative they say about Bioware (or most anything, from a brief read of other threads). Quality forum, or bunch of whining trollers? Help me make up my mind :twisted:

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Can one of the mods post an ip check for senduran? I'm wondering whose alt he is. I suspect Volourn, but we could be given an entertaining surprise like him actually being Dgaider.

senduran

Novice
Fat Dragon said:
Can one of the mods post an ip check for senduran? I'm wondering whose alt he is. I suspect Volourn, but we could be given an entertaining surprise like him actually being Dgaider.

I'm not an alt. Full disclosure, since you're so concerned about it: I run a certain Dragon Age fansite, hence my interest in this thread. Strangely I wouldn't call myself a 'fan'; the website is more of a chore for me. It does mean I know a lot about the game though, as a by-product of running it.

crufty

Arcane
senduran said:
But apparently here isn't the part where anyone on this forum is able to justify anything negative they say about Bioware (or most anything, from a brief read of other threads).

a) phase based / RTWP games are not as fun as turn based games.
b) choices > railroading
c) autoleveling monsters are weak when done poorly
d) stone of recall sucks
e) two player parties suck
=
OC NWN1 was horrible

That said I still had fun at times. So negative point about bioware fully justified, but also hope that dragon age will not suck.

Skald

Novice
senduran said:
You realise that, other than being male, those characters share virtually no similarities, right? I'll take your bet that there will be a male character in Dragon Age, yes :roll:

Why do you lie?
Korgan, Wrex, Canderous and Black Whirlwind are all "badasses", who enjoy killing stuff amirite?

Carth, Sky and Kaidan all have "troubled" past. Kaidan didn't have his family killed, okay.

So there.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Skald said:
senduran said:

Why do you lie?
Korgan, Wrex, Canderous and Black Whirlwind are all "badasses", who enjoy killing stuff amirite?

Carth, Sky and Kaidan all have "troubled" past. Kaidan didn't have his family killed, okay.

So there.

More: Carth, Sky, and Valen both have dead lovers in the past. Carth and Valen have virtually identical dialogue re: trust issues. They also have very similar personalities--to the extent that Kaidan and Carth are voiced by the same actor (they aren't even trying anymore, are they).

Then there's Bastila and Aribeth.

senduran

Novice
crufty said:
senduran said:
But apparently here isn't the part where anyone on this forum is able to justify anything negative they say about Bioware (or most anything, from a brief read of other threads).

a) phase based / RTWP games are not as fun as turn based games.
b) choices > railroading
c) autoleveling monsters are weak when done poorly
d) stone of recall sucks
e) two player parties suck
=
OC NWN1 was horrible

That said I still had fun at times. So negative point about bioware fully justified, but also hope that dragon age will not suck.

Well, those weren't actually brought up, and I hate to break it to you (even though I agree with you on some of those counts), but you didn't justify any of the claims you made. You merely stated your opinion ("x sucks"). A justification goes like "x sucks because...".

Texas Red

Whiner
Lesifoere said:
Skald said:
senduran said:

Why do you lie?

So there.

More: Carth, Sky, and Valen both have dead lovers in the past. Carth and Valen have virtually identical dialogue re: trust issues. They also have very similar personalities--to the extent that Kaidan and Carth are voiced by the same actor (they aren't even trying anymore, are they).

Then there's Bastila and Aribeth.

How about this: SoU, NWN 1 and JE all start the same with you being the most capable student at some academy. They could have, for example, made you simply an average student and have the best one die unexpectedly.

senduran

Novice
Lesifoere said:
Skald said:
senduran said:

Carth, Sky and Kaidan all have "troubled" past.

I hardly think something as non-specific as 'having a troubled past' or 'being a badass' counts as a similarity that makes the characters 'the same'. Those two traits are just functions of their roles in the game (fighter party members vs romance options) and tell you nothing about the individuals themselves.

More: Carth, Sky, and Valen both have dead lovers in the past. Carth and Valen have virtually identical dialogue re: trust issues. They also have very similar personalities--to the extent that Kaidan and Carth are voiced by the same actor (they aren't even trying anymore, are they). .

I suppose this gets a tiny bit closer to being a valid point. But you're still grasping at straws. Here's some descriptions from wikipedia of those characters:

Valen Shadowbreath is a tiefling Weapon Master.

Initially distrustful of the player, Valen nevertheless makes his services available, and is the romance option for female characters. Valen is [...] constantly besieged by the violent nature of his infernal blood and his dark past. The player can choose to acquire Valen's true name near the end of the Hordes of the Underdark campaign. Before the final battle, the player then has a dialogue option to use Valen's true name to free him from his infernal taint, thus saving him from his own blood. If this is not done, Mephistopheles offers to do the same for Valen, and he will turn against the player unless a successful persuade check is made, he is compelled against his own will to fight with you (by use of his True Name), or a female player has built up a strong enough relationship with him.

Carth is a veteran soldier from the Mandalorian War and Jedi Civil War and an expert pilot.

[...] Upon investigation, Revan found that Carth's homeworld of Telos was destroyed by the Sith under the guidance of Admiral Saul Karath, his former commanding officer and mentor. His wife was killed in the attack and his son, Dustil, went missing, presumed dead. Revan and Carth later found Dustil as a Sith recruit in the Sith Academy on Korriban. The destruction of his planet led to a significant amount of guilt for Carth, who had and did not use the opportunity to stop Saul and vowed to kill him. Furthermore, Saul's betrayal and the betrayal of the men who became Sith have caused him to have trouble trusting anyone, almost to the point of paranoia.

Sky is a self-proclaimed 'wandering spirit.' Early in his childhood, he decided not to be shackled down to laws of society and went where he pleased. Although a friendly person, he was not above petty robbery in order to make a living. On his travels, he became acquainted with a woman who lived in the same style as he did and they decided to travel together, going where the wind took them and doing as they pleased. They eventually married and had a child.
[...] Sky's wife died in childbirth, but their baby survived. Although he mourned his wife, he looked upon his new daughter, Pinmei, as a gift and decided to settle down into a more stable life to raise her. When Pinmei was five, she was captured by slavers from Sky's farm near the town of Tien's Landing. Sky was away on business at the time, and when he returned he desperately followed her tracks until he found her body on the roadside. According to Sky, Pinmei was always a fighter; the slavers probably considered her too much trouble and killed her. Sky's quest for vengeance lead him to discover [...]

Sorry, but anyone who wants to claim these characters are similar is just obtuse to the point of idiocity. The only way you can really make your argument is if you prove your "virtually identical dialogue re: trust issues" claim. Ie. quote some dialogue.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Wow, it really is Volourn v2. But at least Volourn's kinda cute--senduran seems to be posting in all deathly earnest, which is more tragic than funny.

senduran

Novice
Dark Individual said:
How about this: SoU, NWN 1 and JE all start the same with you being the most capable student at some academy. They could have, for example, made you simply an average student and have the best one die unexpectedly.

Because making things different purely for the sake of them being different makes them better? I think not. They go with a plot start that makes sense - it has to explain why the first quest givers give you those quests.

senduran

Novice
Lesifoere said:
Wow, it really is Volourn v2. But at least Volourn's kinda cute--senduran seems to be posting in all deathly earnest, which is more tragic than funny.

:roll: I guess this answers my question about the quality of this forum. Thanks!

Solohk

Scholar
If this forum is too "low quality" for you, then why the fuck are you still here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom