Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Choices & Consequences in Dragon Age

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'm sorry, but you come in blazing with ardent Bioware fanboy retardery; what do you expect?

Skald

Novice
Can't you see a difference between similiar and identical?

senduran said:
You realise that, other than being male, those characters share virtually no similarities, right?

Ouch, we just proved they do.

Tsk. Tsk.

And, really - it's just obtuse not to see a similarity between Korgan, Wrex, Brack Whirlwid and Canderous.
Unless you claim all fighters have to be like them?

senduran said:
:roll: I guess this answers my question about the quality of this forum. Thanks!

The quality of your arguments is more scandalous, I believe.
Get back to the Bio forums, or you'll get burned, kid.

crufty

Arcane
senduran said:
.You merely stated your opinion ("x sucks")

search each of those topics, they have been discussed to death already. there is no need to rehash them again just because you have missed out on 5+ years of discussions.

btw if I need to justify why OC NWN1 was horrible and why stone of recall was shoddy then we have bigger issues.

Texas Red

Whiner
senduran said:
Dark Individual said:
How about this: SoU, NWN 1 and JE all start the same with you being the most capable student at some academy. They could have, for example, made you simply an average student and have the best one die unexpectedly.

Because making things different purely for the sake of them being different makes them better? I think not. They go with a plot start that makes sense - it has to explain why the first quest givers give you those quests.

No, you would write a different story instead of an identical one on the account of not being an idiot.

senduran

Novice
Solohk said:
If this forum is too "low quality" for you, then why the fuck are you still here?

Trying to give some of you the benefit of the doubt.

senduran

Novice
Skald said:
senduran said:
You realise that, other than being male, those characters share virtually no similarities, right?

Ouch, we just proved they do.

No you didn't. I countered. My counter stands, since the only replies so far have been ad-homs.

Mareus

Magister
Senduran,

some people here are just angry cunts, because they didn't get a dosage of real RPGs for quite some time. Some think they are cool if they spit shit on everything, but from my experience with the codex, most people here don't share their views. Sure there are similarities in characterization and certainly in voice acting, since I can recognize some actors from previous Bioware games, but no reason to make a big deal out of it. There is certain clicheness in all Bioware games, and choices and consequences are most of the time fake. However most people here loved BG, they were disappointed with NWN1, they found Kotor1 good, disappointed with JE and found ME fun enough to finish it. I believe you will agree with this and people who spit shit on Bioware are few, but they always show up, so don't judge the quality of this forum based on few angry cunts.

senduran

Novice
crufty said:
senduran said:
.You merely stated your opinion ("x sucks")
btw if I need to justify why OC NWN1 was horrible and why stone of recall was shoddy then we have bigger issues.

Those are the two points I agreed with you on. But we were talking about my claim no one was justifying. So yes, if you want to counter and claim that you do justify... you have to justify! Otherwise you just prove my point.

Skald

Novice
senduran said:
No you didn't. I countered. My counter stands, since the only replies so far have been ad-homs.

Your counter was basically : NO UR WRONG. But Okay, I'll bite.

Valen Shadowbreath is a tiefling Weapon Master.
Initially distrustful of the player

Same as with Carth.

His wife was killed in the attack and his son, Dustil, went missing, presumed dead.

Sky's wife died in childbirth, but their baby survived. Although he mourned his wife, he looked upon his new daughter, Pinmei, as a gift and decided to settle down into a more stable life to raise her. When Pinmei was five, she was captured by slavers from Sky's farm near the town of Tien's Landing.

senduran

Novice
Skald said:
senduran said:

Your counter was basically : NO UR WRONG.

No, my counter was the character descriptions, which makes it very clear that not only are the characters different, but that they're not shallowly written. The difference between a bad counter and a good one is the presence of some evidence to back you up. I've used some evidence, no one else has.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"As you can tell, I'm new to the forum so have no idea who Volourn is."

That Volourn guy is a fuckin' asshole. I avoid him whenever I can.

"Can one of the mods post an ip check for senduran? I'm wondering whose alt he is. I suspect Volourn"

STFU! Only cowards, pussies, and weaklings use alts. If I wanted samckdown the Codex retardedness, I can do it just find with this my one and only account. I've ben doing it for years. So fuck you, moron.

"You see a difference between similiar and identical?"

Actually, there is a difference between those two wordfs, and what they mean. Dumbass.

"I'm sorry, but you come in blazing with ardent Bioware fanboy retardery; what do you expect?"

Yeah, he should have known that the Codex is full of Butthurt espicially since eveyrone knows BIO rapes Codexian mommies. Spamming nonsense is a Codexian passtime. They expect others to give factual evdience yet they just whine about their opinion about x or y sucks with no real evidence... and, they cum to the repetiveness of Spiderweb games.

LMAO Anyone who cums to SW games shoudln't be making fun of any company being 'repetive'.

BIO games have simalarities; but they are different. Hell, even BG1 and BG2 are different from on another. And, I for one, am glad BIO games are simialr but different. That's why I know I'll enjoy them even in KOTOR's case whcih i foudn overrated.

dwasdjdqdasghsdahjdsa

Skald

Novice
"You see a difference between similiar and identical?"

Actually, there is a difference between those two wordfs, and what they mean. Dumbass.

That was my point, dumbfuck.

Corrected the mistake. Better now, princess?

I didn't claim the characters were identical, I claimed thery were similiar.

:roll:

Solohk

Scholar
senduran said:
Skald said:
senduran said:

Your counter was basically : NO UR WRONG.

No, my counter was the character descriptions, which makes it very clear that not only are the characters different, but that they're not shallowly written. The difference between a bad counter and a good one is the presence of some evidence to back you up. I've used some evidence, no one else has.
So quoting a paragraph description from Wikipedia qualifies characters as deep? ZOMG, so is Scorpion!

Wikipedia said:
"Scorpion" was the code name of one of the Shirai Ryu's finest warriors - a ninja assassin named Hanzo Hasashi. It is also known that his father, a former member of the Shirai Ryu, forbade his son from joining the clan, as he did not wish his son to live the life of an assassin. However, Hanzo joined in spite of his father's wishes in order to provide his wife and son with a comfortable life. During the events of Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, he was hired by Quan Chi to find a map hidden in the Himalayas. However, Quan Chi had also requested for the services of Sub-Zero the elder, who belonged to the rival Lin Kuei clan and was Scorpion's personal rival. The theory of hiring two ninja was simple - in case one of them failed, the other would succeed and Quan Chi would be closer to unlocking unknown and ultimate power.

Both Scorpion and Sub-Zero succeeded in getting to their destination, but the two met each other reaching for the same map they were sent out to acquire. The two rival warriors fought, with Sub-Zero gaining the advantage. As Scorpion lay on the ground defeated, Sub-Zero decapitated him and left his corpse where it fell. Scorpion's soul would fall into the pits of the Netherealm itself; there he had to choose whether to remain in the bowels of Hell for the rest of the eternity, or to return to the world of the living as a spectre, but losing any memory from his past and his family. Obsessed with revenge, he became a ninja spectre. Scorpion learned that the Lin Kuei, following his death, had also massacred his entire clan and family. Fueled by an undying rage and thirst for retribution, he vowed to kill Sub-Zero in retaliation for his own murder.
Scorpion, as depicted in John Tobias' comic
Scorpion, as depicted in John Tobias' comic

Scorpion would not meet Sub-Zero again until a brief encounter in the Netherealm, where Sub-Zero had been sent by Raiden to regain the amulet from Shinnok and Quan Chi. The two fought, but Sub-Zero defeated Scorpion again and escaped the undead assassin's wrath. Following his return to Earth, Sub-Zero was later invited to participate in Shang Tsung's tournament of Mortal Kombat - unknown to the Lin Kuei warrior, Scorpion had been invited as well. The two met on Shang Tsung's boat, at which point Scorpion grabbed Sub-Zero by the throat and said "You killed me in cold blood exactly two years ago, to this day, but my demons have allowed me to avenge my death. I could kill you at this moment, but I am not a murderer. We will meet at the tournament, and then, Lin Kuei warrior, you will pay with your life."

While Scorpion and Sub-Zero did not meet during the actual tournament, they did meet in the closing moments of Mortal Kombat, and true to his word the hell-bent spectre fought Sub-Zero in another fight to the death. Proving to be too strong and powerful for the Lin Kuei warrior, Scorpion slew his nemesis and avenged his death. With that, he violently burst into flames and ash, returning to the Netherealm.

A year later, Scorpion learned of Sub-Zero's plans to compete in the second tournament. Enraged at the idea that his murderer had somehow returned and his vengeance was incomplete, Scorpion followed Sub-Zero into the realm of Outworld, where Shao Kahn hosted the second tournament. It is unknown whether or not Sub-Zero and Scorpion met, but Scorpion was a witness to one of Sub-Zero's battles, in which he saw Sub-Zero sparing the life of an opponent. Scorpion did not understand why the Lin Kuei warrior had grown so merciful. He later came to the realization that this Sub-Zero was the younger brother of his murderer, who was sent to complete his brother's failed mission. Scorpion then vowed not to harm this new Sub-Zero, as it was not the man who once killed him. He also vowed to be this new Sub-Zero's guardian in atonement for killing his older brother who had become Noob Saibot. Scorpion was then summoned back to the damnation of the Netherealm.

When Shao Kahn invaded Earthrealm and unsuccessfully tried to conquer the Netherealm as well, Scorpion was inadvertently set free, and began walking the Earth once more. He pledged allegiance to no one, taking neither friends nor enemies. Shao Khan, however, recognized Scorpion's superior warrior skills, and enlisted the ninja in his forces. Scorpion's allegiance with Shao Kahn quickly dissolved when he discovered that Sub-Zero, whom he had vowed not to harm, was one of Earth's Chosen warriors and a target of Shao Kahn's. He turned on Shao Kahn, and sided with the Earthrealm warriors in their final showdown with the evil emperor. With Shao Khan and his minions defeated, Earth reverted back to normal, causing Scorpion to return to the Netherealm once more.

During the events of Mortal Kombat Gold, Scorpion came to believe that the younger Sub-Zero was also involved with the murders of his family and clan. Quan Chi offered him life in exchange for the spectre's assistance in the war with the Elder Gods, which Scorpion accepted, but only so he could face Sub-Zero in combat- which Quan Chi was not only fully aware of, but had planned on all along. Scorpion eventually caught up with Sub-Zero, and the two began their final battle; as with the elder Sub-Zero, Scorpion's obsession for revenge was too strong and he emerged the victor. As Scorpion stood triumphantly over Sub-Zero, the defeated warrior proclaiming innocence, Quan Chi appeared and revealed that he had arranged for the killing of the Shirai Ryu and Scorpion's family. Before Scorpion could speak, Quan Chi attempted to send him back to the Netherealm. Scorpion grabbed Quan Chi before the sorcerer could complete his spell, sending them both into the dreaded realm.

During the years that Quan Chi spent trapped in the fifth plane of the Netherealm, he would be chased, brutalized, and tortured by Scorpion. Quan Chi had little chance of escape, as his powers were weakened while he was in the Netherealm, and Scorpion's power and strength conversely increased (note: Quan Chi, as Shinnok's second-in-command, had previously resided in the Netherealm. However, this was explained as a new region of the Netherealm where sorcerers retain their power). Quan Chi eventually struck a deal with the Oni Drahmin and Moloch, who fought off Scorpion for him. When Quan Chi escaped the Netherealm through a portal, Scorpion followed him, but the volatile portal did not send him to the same place. He continued to hound Quan Chi in a game of cat-and-mouse until he found himself ambushed by Drahmin and Moloch, who had also escaped the Netherealm. They threw him into the Soulnado, believing that it would kill the ninja spectre once and for all (as recounted in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance).

Scorpion, however, managed to escape into the Void before the purity of the soulnado tore him apart. While in the Void, he met the Elder Gods, in whom he had never believed, and forever became changed from what he saw. He also witnessed Raiden's sacrifice and Onaga's dominance beginning to unfold. The Elder Gods were aware of his presence and enhanced his mortal and supernatural abilities, making him the Champion of the Elder Gods. The Elder Gods gave him a new mission, to seek and destroy Onaga before he unmade the realms. Scorpion emerged from the Void and returned to Outworld.

In Armageddon's Konquest mode, Scorpion appears to be no longer willing to serve as the Elder Gods' champion. This is due to the bargain he had made with the Elder Gods to serve them in the first place; they would resurrect the Shirai Ryu clan in return for his services. While the Elder Gods did fulfill their promise, they brought back the Shirai Ryu clan as hellspawned warriors, the same as Scorpion. Enraged at what he perceived as their betrayal, Scorpion vows to gain vengeance on the Elder Gods by removing the two things crucial to their plans- Taven and Daegon. They were the Elder Gods' only means to prevent Armageddon.

In Scorpion's Mortal Kombat: Armageddon ending after defeating Blaze , the entire Shirai Ryu clan is resurrected, thousands of them crowding the pyramid below, awaiting his command, along with Scorpion's wife and son. Then the sorcerer Quan Chi appears and kidnaps his son, taking him into the Netherealm through a portal. Enraged, Scorpion commands the Shirai Ryu to find Quan Chi; Scorpion will not rest until his son is rescued and the sorcerer has been destroyed.

Holy shit! He has way more paragraphs! Mortal Kombat is deeper than Bioware!

Mareus

Magister
Yep, I agree with Volourn on this. Very accurate description of some people on the codex. But you forgot to mention sarcasm instead of arguments usage.

Solohk

Scholar
Look, I enjoy Bioware games for what they are - popcorn blockbuster RPGs. A quick off the top of my head ranking of their games I've played is:

BG2 - 8
KoTOR - 7
JE - 7
ME - 6
NWN - 3 (7 for SoU didn't play HotU)

But here comes some Bioware fanboy that registers today, thinks he'll make a "gosh, Bioware is just tops idn't it?", wonders why people disagree and then asks everyone to "prove" their agruments while not attempting to do the same for his own. And people are surprised he's getting a negative reaction? Huh?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"BG2 - 8
KoTOR - 7
JE - 7
ME - 6
NWN - 3 (7 for SoU didn't play HotU)"

Wrong.

BG1 - 8.8
BG2 - 9.5
KOTOR - 7
JE - 8
ME - 9
NWN OC - 7.5
SOU - 6.5
HOTU - 8

NWN EP - 9.5

I am right. You are wrong.

crufty

Arcane
senduran said:
The difference between a bad codexian and a good one is the use of the search tool.

I'll do one for you. no thread necromancy.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... torder=asc

trust me when i say this, the reason why nobody is justifying anything is because the arguments have already been made to the infinite power regarding bioware. do a seach on volourn and read from day 1.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1871

i have to admit the similarities are striking.

Solohk

Scholar
Your irrational love for the NWN OC aside... 9 for ME? Wow, really?

Volourn: I already said why use search. R00fles!

Mareus

Magister
Solohk said:
Look, I enjoy Bioware games for what they are - popcorn blockbuster RPGs. A quick off the top of my head ranking of their games I've played is:

BG2 - 8
KoTOR - 7
JE - 7
ME - 6
NWN - 3 (7 for SoU didn't play HotU)

But here comes some Bioware fanboy that registers today, thinks he'll make a "gosh, Bioware is just tops idn't it?", wonders why people disagree and then asks everyone to "prove" their agruments while not attempting to do the same for his own. And people are surprised he's getting a negative reaction? Huh?
I think he made a pretty solid point and he is just arguing that those characters are not so similar as people here claim. Besides, other companies suffer from this same clicheness, and yet almost no one here is saying anything about that. I will just mention NWN2 where you have a classic dwarf, you have a classic tree loving elf, you have a classic devlish thief chick, a classic paladin, with the same Biowerian approach of some ancient evil awaking and collecting pieces of lost items which are the only thing that can save the world. For those same things Bioware gets flamed, yet Obsidian is awesome. Although, truth be told, most people here don't have a very high oppinion of NWN2.

Skald

Novice
I wasn't aware that NWN2 recieved praise, though.
It's shit and most everyone here agrees about that, Mareus. For those exact reasons too.

Solohk

Scholar
Mareus said:
I think he made a pretty solid point and he is just arguing that those characters are not so similar as people here claim. Besides, other companies suffer from this same clicheness, and yet almost no one here is saying anything about that. I will just mention NWN2 where you have a classic dwarf, you have a classic tree loving elf, you have a classic devlish thief chick, a classic paladin, with the same Biowerian approach of some ancient evil awaking and collecting pieces of lost items which are the only thing that can save the world. For those same things Bioware gets flamed, yet Obsidian is awesome.

What are you talking about? The NWN2 gets flamed all the time around here for the reasons you just described. I personally couldn't quite get into it either and never finished it. I even tried again when MoTB came out but just couldn't do it. But thankfully, Obsidian knocked one out of the park with MoTB, so they get a little love around here.

Edit:
Also, KoTOR 2, had it been properly finished would have been another home run as well. As is though, I still enjoyed it.

Mareus

Magister
Yeah, I get your point. Although I don't agree NWN2 OC is shit.

EDIT:
My problem with NWN OC were not the characters, or the story despite I found both of these things inferior to BG. The thing the bothered me the most was clunky 3D camera, only 4 characters in the party (thank God for the cheat that allows you to fix this), terrible ending, silly romance with Elenee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom