Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News RPGPOCALYPSE: Obsidian and inXile have been acquired by Microsoft

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Microsoft is a shit, and Obsidian and InExile shit too - that's how Microsoft noticed them, it smelled them!

Anyway, I suddenly feel only dull irritation about that all.
Call me when something worthwhile comes out from this circus situation.

Probably I'm tired.

Last edited:
Feargus looks vampiric in this video

New to Goodreads...

ys5k6734.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
True, we had Grimoire. "You win a while and then it's done, Your little winning streak"
Legend of Grimrock (2012)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2012/2013/2016)
Paper Sorceror (2013)
Legend of Grimrock II (2014)
Underrail (2015)
Age of Decadence (2015)
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (2016)
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (2017)
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2018)

The Age of Hemi-Semi-Demi-Incline :M

Last edited:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Well, good for them, I guess! I loved WL2, loved Pillars of Eternity 1, even liked Tyranny and Torment a lot too. Haven't played PoE 2 yet or Bard's Tale 4, I have them, I'll get around to them sooner or later, but I'm pretty sure they're fine too! And I guess I'm sure whatever games they end up making now won't be total shit either! But if nothing else, it won't be the same! Not mad, maybe a little sad. As far as I'm concerned this 'Kickstarter era' was pretty sweet.

Dexter

Arcane
Micro$hit is basically a death sentence equal to EA now. This was nothing more than a strategic move by Micro$hit to push for creating a new generation of games that are windows 10 exclusive to force more people to downgrading to their botnet.
It's not like either Obsidian or InXile were in particularly good health. EA usually bought studios when they were at their most popular or at least still showed a lot of promise, not during their absolute decline. As it stands they were both already smelly and decomposing, with a foot in bankruptcy. Another year or two and they might've potentially had to shut down. As it stands it's more of a reanimation via electroshock, now everyone just has to wait for a bit to see what exactly came back and if there's anything useful about it in the short period of time before it ultimately starts a rampage through the village and has to be put down.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Micro$hit is basically a death sentence equal to EA now. This was nothing more than a strategic move by Micro$hit to push for creating a new generation of games that are windows 10 exclusive to force more people to downgrading to their botnet.
It's not like either Obsidian or InXile were in particularly good health. EA usually bought studios when they were at their most popular or at least still showed a lot of promise, not during their absolute decline. As it stands they were both already smelly and decomposing, with a foot in bankruptcy. Another year or two and they might've potentially had to shut down. As it stands it's more of a reanimation via electroshock, now everyone just has to wait for a bit to see what exactly came back and if there's anything useful about it in the short period of time before it ultimately starts a rampage through the village and has to be put down.

Could be a good move for MS, they buy two studios on the cheap who have some name power in the RPG space, and then slowy streamline it into their RPG divsion (which then will make action rpgs after some time, and then whatever is current, there's no money in classical RPGs)

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
What's cargo cult design? And perhaps it should be Fargo cult design, no?
I call cargo cult design some of the idiotic choices they make here and there. An example in Wasteland 2 is the amount of different skills some covering roughly the same functions irl. Like safebreaking and lockpicking for instance. The reason they've done it is because it's "oldschool" as I've never really seen a situation where the ability to let's say open safe allowed me to finish quest in a different way, no, all you get from the skill is some trash loot. In fact it's better to level lockpicking only as it has wider use. Similarly - skill checks encouraging savescumming, again it was never some particularly good design and you're gonna start savescumming on them by your 20th hour or so after 75% success chance leads to critical failure.
Could be a good move for MS, they buy two studios on the cheap who have some name power in the RPG space, and then slowy streamline it into their RPG divsion (which then will make action rpgs after some time, and then whatever is current, there's no money in classical RPGs)
Hard to say for now. The thing is - Microsoft was used to a world where their own studios make a game and it sells 5 millions plus, but it's not the case anymore. They may take a note from Sony that gets its studios to work on products that are relatively high profile, but at the same time they fill some specific niche, rather than being made for the general mountain dew chugger. Especially obsidian may start doing this kind of stuff(Fable game by obsidian?), inExile I have no idea because they have no history of doing such things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom