Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Mindfracker removal proceradure:
bq-5bea2c90d6e2e.png

bq-5bea2d349a1ab.png
It does sting a bit.

Those things can bounce; that one came almost quarter of level away.

Idle animations seem to be gone when you aim at enemies.

kirin

Learned
Things that were incline:

1. Physically shooting off headcrabs
2. Shotgun blast hitting multiple enemies
3. Joining a faction haven defense
4. Limited ammo consumed from inventory?

If you had diplomacy penalties for friendly fire during these joint missions, that would be real neat. Bonus if weakened havens were also easier to takeover.

Things that were dumb:

1. Going back to base to swap loadouts
2. Points of interest automagically appearing
3. Knowing exactly what loot is available for scavenge before you go

ArchAngel

Arcane
Things that were incline:

1. Physically shooting off headcrabs
2. Shotgun blast hitting multiple enemies
3. Joining a faction haven defense
4. Limited ammo consumed from inventory?

If you had diplomacy penalties for friendly fire during these joint missions, that would be real neat. Bonus if weakened havens were also easier to takeover.

Things that were dumb:

1. Going back to base to swap loadouts
2. Points of interest automagically appearing
3. Knowing exactly what loot is available for scavenge before you go
As a dev that joined the chat in one of the streams said: This is a pre alpha.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Watching people stream this yesterday I seen people shoot the hell out of their Armadillo while trying to hit aliens.
This is something that was impossible in nuXcom.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hm the UI looks like a stand-in made by an autistic programmer instead of a graphical artist. The Geoscape again looks ugly and unappealing but I'm intrigued by the mechanics. Looks more engaging than XCOM 2 "watch-a-scanner-circle-go-round" type of mechanics that's for sure.

But most importantly it seems there's is no one-shotting mechanics that Firaxis love so much. Especially in XCOM1 you can one-shot aliens but they can do the same to you, from across the map, in full cover, in a smoke, especially in the early game. Which is retarded because while you have to kill hundreds of aliens you can't afford to lose more than a handful of soldiers. That's what makes Ironman so fucking frustrating and Ironman is the only mode where the game is actually fun. In PP it seems the emphasis is more on tactic and outmaneuvering mobs instead of dumb dice rolls which is fantastic.

Overall I'm more and more intrigued. Gameplay looks solid, as well as the art assets. Too bad the UI looks so wart-ass ugly. Oh well, so does the UI in XCOM1 and we got over it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, Geoscape looks terrible. Like a map app with bad UI.

I guess there are people who like games that look like serious programs. I don't. To be clear, I hate garishness too but there is a middle ground.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Wached them scroll the equipment UI for 15 seconds before I turned it off. That shit is an unusable mess.

Someone needs to invent a time machine and destroy Firaxis before FiraXCOM was made so we can get a proper game from Gollop instead of this pointless cash grab.

Wached them scroll the equipment UI for 15 seconds before I turned it off. That shit is an unusable mess.

Someone needs to invent a time machine and destroy Firaxis before FiraXCOM was made so we can get a proper game from Gollop instead of this pointless cash grab.
I agree. The equipment UI needs some work. I understand the spirit of it but OG X-Com had loads of different squares and different weapons took up more or less dependant on size in an RPG-like manner. I really like that kind of system because it's an elegant and non immersion braking way of giving items a sense of weight and size. You never see this stuff in console stuff because it'd be a ballacher to navigate with an analog stick. Which is probably why the current UI is the way it is. Changes will be artistic at this point. Nothing more.

ArchAngel

Arcane

ArchAngel

Arcane

I agree. The equipment UI needs some work. I understand the spirit of it but OG X-Com had loads of different squares and different weapons took up more or less dependant on size in an RPG-like manner. I really like that kind of system because it's an elegant and non immersion braking way of giving items a sense of weight and size. You never see this stuff in console stuff because it'd be a ballacher to navigate with an analog stick. Which is probably why the current UI is the way it is. Changes will be artistic at this point. Nothing more.
Even with current UI being more for controllers, it is still too small even for them. It is super hard to navigate with only two rows of few items each.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

"Necrofauna" - is another track composed and performed by Simeon Dotkov. You may recognise it from our previous Backer Builds.

Many people have asked if we would release the music currently heard in our development builds and promotional materials by our in-house composer and sound designer, Simeon Dotkov. We are delighted to announce that Simeon's music will now be featured in the final release of Phoenix Point alongside the music of John Broomhall.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
As long as this game have no mandatory degenerate mechanics like mission timers I am ok with this. But it is damn laggy and enemies take shitload of time to act..

ArchAngel

Arcane
As long as this game have no mandatory degenerate mechanics like mission timers I am ok with this. But it is damn laggy and enemies take shitload of time to act..
That part is irritating but at this stage of game development they are not even trying to optimize stuff.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
From watching the videos:

- realistic ballistics is cool and pure incline
- being able to shoot body parts and disable monsters is pure incline
- artstyle is miles above nuXcom and pretty dark, though obviously it could be much creepier/better still
- theme and tone of the game is pretty nice, with the havens being attacked by swarms of aliens etc, being able to chose to defend havens or just rob them of their stuff
- UI is pretty clunky and not that pretty, but this may be improved
- having these vehicles that you can enter and mobility options (jetpack) is pretty nice as well

Conclusion: Codex is nuts to hate on this game so much

Last edited:

Thal

Augur

- artstyle is miles above nuXcom and pretty dark, though obviously it could be much creepier/better still
- theme and tone of the game is pretty nice, with the havens being attacked by swarms of aliens etc

Also consider that this is pre-alpha footage that we are watching. The game is clearly not optimized or balanced in any way, it's very easy and vehicles are instawin now. But all of this will change with difficulty levels.

- theme and tone of the game is pretty nice, with the havens being attacked by swarms of aliens etc, being able to chose to defend havens or just rob them of their stuff
- having these vehicles that you can enter and mobility options (jetpack) is pretty nice as well

You haven't listened to any of my moaning. It's the misleading and distortion of game features we're all angry about. If these guys just came out at the start and said, "it's inspired by Firaxis's exciting reboot of the Xcom series" I don't think anyone would of minded. The codex would of snarked about it and moved on. But they didn't. They specifically said this was a sucsessor to OG X-Com. Then implied we would be getting the game that combines the best features of that game with modern gameplay. We're not getting that. We're getting Xcom 3. Me and others on the Codex feel misled.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually do feel like we are getting something that combines features of old UFO games with nuXCOM stuff. I guess you want specific features?
Because I see inventories, I see multiple squads, I see vehicles, I see ammo, I see a world map that is more like the originals, I see factions...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom