Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
No corpse is too decayed that you can't ravage it once more.

Latelistener

Arcane
Warren is getting old and senile judging by his talk about how "violence has to stop". How exactly is he going to portray System Shock 3 without violence?

Also:

But, based on the thoughts at OtherSide and the general approach they've been taking, I think the game will lean closer towards "an exploration game" rather than a combat game.

Looks like they took $12 millions from Starbreeze to make the most expensive walking simulator.

In other words, the ability to advance your knowledge of the world by... examining things. Taking a stroll around the area and noticing how life has adapted here, having a friendly (?) conversation with other characters, and overall familiarizing yourself with the environment. I wanted to emphasize how the world's narrative can be explored, and not just lived in. While it may not "further the game progress" by completing mini quests and getting to know other characters and the history of the place you're in, it's a core part of the experience, and I think a lot of that can be boiled down to "exploring."
Moralfags + storyfags. It's a dangerous combination.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds like they will try the Amnesia style of game here... which in the hands of a capable developer would be an interesting idea; imagine doing the hacker puzzles while dodging enemies in a System Shock setting
But so far the sheer incompetence of Otherside and the warnings on the wall say this wont end well at all and once Undercooked proves to be a colossal fuckup their investors will get very antsy

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well what's known about System Shock 3's gameplay at this point:
  • It's an "action-oriented, hybrid FPS/RPG", according to their job postings including one for "combat" designer.
  • Warren's wishlist (from early interviews and talks, so take these with a grain of salt):
    • "the most sophisticated hacking mechanics in a AAA game"
    • "His team is looking at creating much deeper environment that you can explore and interactive with more deeply. He want to enhance the environmental storytelling pioneered in SS1 with most interactive way he has ever trying to create."
Also to be honest I don't think the production of Dues Ex was exactly smooth or something. It's not like I have high hope for this but I would not worry much about this until I see more details or actual footage.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From environmental artist Francisco Cruz III (ex-Arkane artist responsible for Talos I exterior from Prey): https://www.linkedin.com/in/franciscoc3/

Sr Env Artist
Company Name
OtherSide Entertainment
Dates Employed May 2018 – Present
Employment Duration 6 mos
Location Austin, Texas Area

System Shock 3
+ Environment modeling.
+ Creepy lighting.
+ Performance.
+ Surviving Shodan.

"Surviving Shodan", heh.

Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/ciscocruz

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Mmm that actually sounds interesting; prey is the closest thing we have gotten to a System Shock 3 since Dead Space

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
"His team is looking at creating much deeper environment that you can explore and interactive with more deeply. He want to enhance the environmental storytelling pioneered in SS1 with most interactive way he has ever trying to create."

-Powered by Unity.

Choppy Shock 3

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A bit from an interview about UA: https://dailydead.com/interview-leg...sses-his-latest-project-underworld-ascendant/

What's on the horizon for you? I know you’re working on System Shock 3. How is everything going with that?

Warren Spector: It's going well. I don't want to steal Underworld Ascendant's thunder, but it's definitely a game in the same vein. Again, every game is a stepping stone towards ultimate player expression. We're bringing back SHODAN, obviously one of the great villains in digital game history, and we're going to be looking into how SHODAN came to be, we're going to be talking about what happened to some of the characters in some of the earlier games, and Citadel Station from the original game will be coming back in some form. I'll be a little mysterious about that…

And some of the iconic enemies will be coming back, but in a very modern form. Amazingly enough, it's not 1994 anymore, so we're bringing it into the 21st century, well the 22nd century.

ciox

Liturgist
Would have been nice to see them focus harder on either a brand new location or the Von Braun, since we're already going to be seeing Citadel again soon via Nightdive's efforts, but they're pretty determined about the "bring back all SS areas and surviving characters" thing.
Or maybe they'll just bring Citadel back as a simulation you can bounce around in, that would be kinda goofy.

Gambler

Augur
I am so tired of these reboots. I don't even understand what value they derive from exhuming old titles. The target audience usually turns out to be people who have never heard about the original game(s) anyway.

It's like the industry is stuck in an infinite loop. Same genres, with same conventions, but stuff gets more and more "streamlined" (i.e. dumbed down) with each iteration. Same titles, but "modernized".

And every studio nevertheless claims to be a hive of creativity. If you're so creative, why don't you actually create something new?

This was mildly cool when some of the first game KickStarters were launched. But it didn't turn out that well, and now this is just getting annoying.

Sounds like they will try the Amnesia style of game here...
There is already Soma.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Creativity is overall dead in most pop culture media; after the 80s there was such a renaissance with such bold and daring ideas in music, art, toys, fashion then the mid nineties started with reboots and retreads which have stayed until today
Supposedly this nostalgia is fueled by such dispair about the future that people prefer to look back with rose tinted glasses to “better” days but I think that the overall lack of imagination and creativity is over more worrying
After the trainwreak of Underworld Unleashed I think Otherside will either learn from their mistakes, narrow their scope and make a great System Shock or make another abomination that shits all over the legacy of Looking Glass and its creators...honestly I don’t feel very hopeful

RapineDel

Augur
We could be saved, Starbreeze in deep trouble and if they go under surely it's the end for Otherside and this guaranteed abomination

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Imagine SS3 crashing and burning because Warren Spector tried to make it Deus Ex instead of System Shock much like how Underworld Ascendant tried to be Ultima Underworld instead of Thief.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.starbreeze.com/2018/11/starbreeze-is-reviewing-costs-and-focusing-on-core-business/

The company has commenced a project to review operations and has initiated a program to reduce costs and sharpen focus on core business – internal and external development. The actions are expected to generate significant cost savings during the full year 2019 compared to 2018 mainly in non-core business. The long-term target of positive EBITDA for the full year 2018 no longer applies.

“We have initiated a review of our costs to ensure better alignment with our revenues. We are designing a program towards that end, naturally while keeping a careful eye on revenue development. We must focus on our core business and ensure delivery of the company’s important games,” says Starbreeze CFO Sebastian Ahlskog.

For better or worse, I think SS3 will be picked up by other publisher if they go under.

(I still don't understand why Starbreeze is doing VR headset business.)

Latelistener

Arcane
Isn’t Starbreeze the company that was founded by Vin Diesel?
You're probably confusing it with Tigon. It was the studio that worked with Starbreeze when they were developing Riddick.

Those who made Enclave, Riddick and Darkness left Starbreeze though. They were sick of EA and Syndicate and founded MachineGames (the new Wolfenstein games).

Starbreeze today is more of a publisher and doesn't have much strength in development. They have Overkill, but they're miles away from the old crew of Starbreeze. Also, some important people already left Overkill (see 10 Chambers Collective and GTFO).

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
wow.png

wow!
I've never seen this combo before

Wunderbar

Arcane
Microsoft to the rescue!

With Tim Schafer bought, they will have their own personal crowdfunding platform!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Microsoft to the rescue!

With Tim Schafer bought, they will have their own personal crowdfunding platform!

But Microsoft hasn't bought Double Fine Productions !?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom