Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Did you receive the 5$ wallet bonus? I have nothing on my Humble account.

It's a coupon so it won't be added to your wallet if I got that right.

Poopsock surliness got the better of me so I'm engaging a cunning plan. Downloaded and installed Cthulhu and then put Steam in offline mode. Whenever they revoke the key it shouldn't reach me in offline paradise so I can play the damn game regardless. Kind of a pain in the ass and more trouble than I'd normally bother with but this rubbed me the wrong way so now I want to play the goddamn game to spite them. Since it's supposedly 5-10 hours long it shouldn't be all that much of an exile anyway.

And quick completely unrelated addendum to my bitching about Stardock games a few days ago, I've been playing a bit of Star Control and actually enjoying it so they might've done something decent. Even if they lifted it from someone else. And then sued the someone.

The Long Dark is a must buy. Absolutely stunning and a marvel of survival game. I don't know about the story mode, haven't played it.
Long Dark is absolutely fantastic, but the story mode is (Or at least was. I think they're doing some big overhaul on it with episode 3 in December) pretty shit. As a sandbox survival game it's great, but the story had a surprising amount of fetch quests and boring drudgery. Oddly enough spending a real-life half an hour to an hour catching/cooking fish and boiling water so you have a few days of supplies leaves you with a feeling of warm contentment and ease of mind since if a blizzard rolls in you'll be okay. Some NPC telling you they want a few days of food and water makes you want to play something else.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Best RPG of all time. Now 50% off

3568011DA6AEDCD85FACE8A288AB406BB87C87DD

Last edited:

Solid Snail

Learned
I have a (maybe stupid) question: I have GTAIV on Steam, but I never managed to make it run because under Win10 I had so maby problems, between Securom, GFWL, the Rockstar Social Club and the fact I had a black screen on boot. I tried it for like 30 minutes back in days on 360 from a friend, never liked it. I saw a brand new copy of the Complete Edition for PS3, and I was considering to purchase it again considering I love Red Dead 1 and 2. I liked GTAV too, but usually I'm not a person who enjoy open-world games. So, all this considered, should I get it, even if I didn't like what I played back in days? 30 minutes are nothing to judge a game like this, considering Red Dead 2 is slow as hell too at the beginning.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Poopsock surliness got the better of me so I'm engaging a cunning plan. Downloaded and installed Cthulhu and then put Steam in offline mode. Whenever they revoke the key it shouldn't reach me in offline paradise so I can play the damn game regardless. Kind of a pain in the ass and more trouble than I'd normally bother with but this rubbed me the wrong way so now I want to play the goddamn game to spite them. Since it's supposedly 5-10 hours long it shouldn't be all that much of an exile anyway.

Might as well do that.

FullSizeRender-17.jpg

Mankind Divided is great. One knock against it is it doesn't really have the globetrotting that's par for the course for a Deus Ex game but the level design is absolutely top notch. The story is basic and can leave you feeling cheated since the quick non-spoilery rundown is "There is a bad guy. You stop bad guy" which doesn't add much to the overall Deus Ex story, but the overarching Deus Ex fluff comes from optional and easy to miss side areas. It's reasonable to piece together how you get from DXMD to DX and why there's zero mention of Adam in DX. Some of it involves leaps, but they're fairly reasonable leaps. It also has probably some of the best balance when it comes to upgrading your augs too. Feels like there are fewer/no clinker upgrades and most everything feels useful and good. Other than the lack of globetrotting I probably enjoyed it more than DXHR which I thought was still a pretty damn good game.

Quick rundowns on the DLC: The items are absolute 100% bullshit because they're single use things (Yes, that item pack you bought can get activated in the game once and then it's gone forever for all future playthroughs) but on the bright side they're just cheats so you don't really want them anyway. The rate of advancement in the game is perfectly normal without it and it's completely fucking retarded that they're even in the game. Supposedly it was something Square Enix was pushing for and the developers had to do it.

System Rift is a self-contained mission which is decent. You get some Francis which is nice and get to run around in the big fancy cyber-bank which is cool and all, but since it basically exists in a vacuum since it's a stand alone mission it isn't quite as enjoyable. Actually feels like something that they could've put into the regular campaign as a meaty side mission.

A Criminal Past is also self-contained but absolutely doesn't feel like something that could've been slipped into the main campaign. It's Jensen telling the story of a job he did before the start of DXMD where he was undercover in an aug prison. Unique semi-open environment, somewhat different rules than the base game, and a fun story with some C&C. While System Rift basically just feels like a big side quest that could've been in the regular game, this one actually feels like a good DLC adventure that plays a little differently and gives you a slightly different experience. It's roughly $4 more to get the season pass with both chunks of DLC with the base game and assuming you already played and liked DXHR it's probably worth it unless money's really tight.

Athos

Arcane
Mankind Divided is great. One knock against it is it doesn't really have the globetrotting that's par for the course for a Deus Ex game but the level design is absolutely top notch. The story is basic and can leave you feeling cheated since the quick non-spoilery rundown is "There is a bad guy. You stop bad guy" which doesn't add much to the overall Deus Ex story, but the overarching Deus Ex fluff comes from optional and easy to miss side areas. It's reasonable to piece together how you get from DXMD to DX and why there's zero mention of Adam in DX. Some of it involves leaps, but they're fairly reasonable leaps. It also has probably some of the best balance when it comes to upgrading your augs too. Feels like there are fewer/no clinker upgrades and most everything feels useful and good. Other than the lack of globetrotting I probably enjoyed it more than DXHR which I thought was still a pretty damn good game.

Quick rundowns on the DLC: The items are absolute 100% bullshit because they're single use things (Yes, that item pack you bought can get activated in the game once and then it's gone forever for all future playthroughs) but on the bright side they're just cheats so you don't really want them anyway. The rate of advancement in the game is perfectly normal without it and it's completely fucking retarded that they're even in the game. Supposedly it was something Square Enix was pushing for and the developers had to do it.

System Rift is a self-contained mission which is decent. You get some Francis which is nice and get to run around in the big fancy cyber-bank which is cool and all, but since it basically exists in a vacuum since it's a stand alone mission it isn't quite as enjoyable. Actually feels like something that they could've put into the regular campaign as a meaty side mission.

A Criminal Past is also self-contained but absolutely doesn't feel like something that could've been slipped into the main campaign. It's Jensen telling the story of a job he did before the start of DXMD where he was undercover in an aug prison. Unique semi-open environment, somewhat different rules than the base game, and a fun story with some C&C. While System Rift basically just feels like a big side quest that could've been in the regular game, this one actually feels like a good DLC adventure that plays a little differently and gives you a slightly different experience. It's roughly $4 more to get the season pass with both chunks of DLC with the base game and assuming you already played and liked DXHR it's probably worth it unless money's really tight.
Thanks for the elaborate reply. As long as the cheats are not mandatory I don't care what comes in the Season Pass. The last DLC seems enjoyable so I think I'll take the whole package.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have a (maybe stupid) question: I have GTAIV on Steam, but I never managed to make it run because under Win10 I had so maby problems, between Securom, GFWL, the Rockstar Social Club and the fact I had a black screen on boot. I tried it for like 30 minutes back in days on 360 from a friend, never liked it. I saw a brand new copy of the Complete Edition for PS3, and I was considering to purchase it again considering I love Red Dead 1 and 2. I liked GTAV too, but usually I'm not a person who enjoy open-world games. So, all this considered, should I get it, even if I didn't like what I played back in days? 30 minutes are nothing to judge a game like this, considering Red Dead 2 is slow as hell too at the beginning.

I'd say skip it and get Episodes From Liberty City, the Lost and The Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony are both much better games. I didn't dislike GTA4, but it's definitely a weaker entry for GTA. Also, if you've played and enjoyed GTA5, a very minor character from Trevors introduction (Johnny Klebitz) is actually the protagonist in Lost and Damned so there's some interest there

RDR is MUCH better than GTA, it's not remotely close.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom