Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Still haven't pulled the trigger on anything on Steam itself yet (Got the NWNEE and PoE2 DLC in my cart and I'll likely snag them, though since I bought all this shit elsewhere I'm leaning a bit more toward knocking NWNEE on the head) but I did end up scooping up some black Friday garbage.

Picked up Prey Mooncrash for $5 from Humble, using the coupon from the CoC fuckup. Loved Prey 2017 and heard good things about the DLC so that should be nice.
Picked up Batman Arkham Knight super all-DLC edition for $3 from CDkeys. The other bamhams are decent $5-10 beat 'em ups and apparently this one is functional now. Heard it has far, FAR too much Batmobile in it but for $3 with all the DLC why the fuck not, I'll be hard pressed not to get a few enjoyable hours out of it.
Picked up Middle Earth Shadow of War super all-DLC edition for $13 from CDkeys. Little on the high end price-wise but the first one was a fun sandboxy thing and even though I heard this one had loot boxes and shit, apparently they've removed them. And since it's got all the DLC rolled in too the $13 sounded alright.
Picked up Mortal Kombat X super all-DLC edition for $4 from CDkeys. Not much of a fan of fighting games but when they get that cheap I usually have enough fun just doing the story. It's the kind of thing where it's worth more to some people if they actually intend to play multiplayer but for casual retards like myself I can button mash and it's the equivalent of a fun afternoon on an arcade cabinet.
Picked up Injustice 2 super all-DLC edition for $8 from CDkeys. Same sorta situation as Mortal Kombat, some cheap supposedly well regarded fighting game action I most likely will play for a few hours and enjoy and then set aside.

Barring something showing up unexpectedly that'll be it, and since the Christmas sale is usually the same as the Thanksgiving sale that'll probably do me for a long bit. Probably will do some more wretched spending in a few weeks since Artifact sounds good and I'm sorely tempted to grab Dusk when it launches and goes on sale (And Grimoire for that matter, if Cleve does his $10 sale (And the Battle Bros DLC of course, which warrants immediate D1P)) but if the last few years are anything to go by I'll probably coast until the next summer sale in 5-7 months barring bundles. If anyone else wants some of that shit from CDkeys, make sure you click their "Black Friday" banner on the front page. If you search up the games you'll see their non-sale price listed, though if you click through you'll actually be offered the sale price. Injustice 2 wasn't a black Friday special though so you will have to search that one. Ultimate and not legendary.

:kingcomrade: Gotta love the yearly cheap mole-popping season. Speaking of which, hiding out in offline mode totally worked for CoC. It was revoked today but I'm still plugging away at it. Only in chapter 5-6 though. Fucking Humble. On one hand I appreciate how there's been no combat and it's all based around what you do/pick yourself and your character's stats and skills. On the other hand it's hard to gauge how much those stats/skills really matter. I've only seen one grayed out dialog option based on not having a high enough skill and I've only flubbed picking one lock. Other cases where a skill wasn't high enough may not really show up though (No situations where DM tells you to make a spot check, you say the result, then the DM coughs and moves along). The actual execution of the game may not be that hot (Particularly if there isn't much/any C&C based on your actions or character's skills) but I still appreciate how it hasn't devolved into combat. At least yet.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
In the mist of another boring sale something was released

RDR is MUCH better than GTA, it's not remotely close.
I tested both RDR and GTA4 on borrowed X360 and can confirm that RDR is much better, guess the change in the GTA's tone was the cause? It was way more serious and grim, while GTA trilogy were something else.

Morkar Left

Hey guise, is Star Traders: Frontiers worth buying? What's the Kodex's Kritical Konsensus?

Yes. Artstyle for chars is debatable but it grew on me. The game gives you a lot of freedom how you want to develop your captain and crew. It's basically survive successfull through the ages. There are multiple storylines you can follow, influence or choose not to get involved, too. Not getting involved is sometimes even the better option. And often you have to choose a side in these stories. Which could eventually fuck you up or make it harder to get missions from other factions (or become their enemy). Mission outcomes are usually defined by a skill check where you can choose which skill check depend on the approach and/or ground or space combat.

The game seems to look really casual but rest assured it's not. You can play right away without knowledge but you will truly start to understand the game and its mechanics after some hours.

Read the wiki and the lore book. The lore book isn't long and provides you with valuable background knowledge and understanding why some things in the game are like they are. The wiki can be extensive but really worthwhile checking out. I recommened watching some let's play to get a feel for it and then decide.

Whenever I had some time the last couple of weeks I tuned into the game and I'm really enjoying it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grabbed Crazy Taxi and Space Channel 5 Part 2 for $1.19 each. Big spender
dollars.png

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Instead of games on my wishlist, let me point out a few games that you should all buy if you haven't played them since some of you fuckers don't seem to know what to get. These are the cream of my top 10 of all time and you can get them now for a few nickels.

The original Desperados

Superior "spiritual successor" to the Commandos series, recently remastered to run on your computer. Gameplay is as good as ever (i.e. very, very good). For a lousy $1? You have no excuse not to get this. Probably my favorite video game, period.
(Note: Desperados fans should also check out Shadow Tactics, a very worthy successor, $15 right now. Get it!)

Vampire Bloodlines

Despite some glaring flaws, still the best first person RPG ever made in my opinion. Be sure to check out the unofficial patches - development was cut short and the original game was never truly finished (or even patched to playability).

Jagged Alliance 1

Wait, there was a Jagged Alliance 1? Yes, and some of us enjoy it even more than the sequel. See the original mercenaries before Ivan learned any English. You don't even know who Skitz Bonner is, do you? And you think you're prestigious?
This package also contains the excellent Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, which features a colossal single-player campaign and a random mission generator and a fully featured mission editor.
All for $2, fuck you if you don't have this.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Jagged Alliance 2

The gold standard for turn-based tactics, still plays well, still beats all attempts to recreate the magic. Ask in the Codex threads the best way to patch it up.

System Shock 2

Another truly excellent first person RPG, the advancement mechanics are silly but forget about that and enjoy the perfect gameplay and brilliant atmosphere. This is what Bioshock wanted to be.

Wizardry 8

My favorite full featured RPG of all time. Beware, this is hundreds of hours long with tons of combat.
NOTE get the bundle with Wizardry 6, 7, 8. $4 for the whole package.

Defense Grid

Not as high on my list as the others, but still outstanding as it's the best tower defense game I've played. Get all the DLC as well, you'll want to play through every level.

Zombra

Patron
Almost forgot:

Dead Rising 1

Best zombie game I ever played, and easily my favorite Capcom game (and I like a lot of Capcom games). Third person action with unadvertised "groundhog day" save mechanics ... xp carries over from one playthrough to the next. You can't win on your first run, you have to accumulate power and knowledge. You'll play the first half of the game 10 times before you can get to the end. $6, this is a steal.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DR1 definitely still worth playing in 2018 even though I would give DR2 OTR a slight edge. Don't have much to say about the sale in general. Same shitty discounts with the only good values being on stuff most people either have (or should have) bought years ago.

Zombra

Patron
I like DR2 OTR, it's a good, straightforward, forgettable popamole game with no substantial flaws. It's fine.

DR1's bold and bizarre meta-mechanics, that were removed in later iterations because so many didn't comprehend them, are what elevate it to a work of genius. Play the original.

Zenith

Arbiter
[Bloodlines] was never truly finished (or even patched to playability)
Fake news btw. Sure there's some tiny kernel of truth to it, but all this parroting of "heroic modders fixing an unplayable game" is getting a bit tiresome.
Go ahead and play official v1.2, see if you find it as broken as people make it out to be. Hell, play v1.0, see what all the fuss is really about (spoiler: it's fine).
There's one or two system tweaks needed to get it to launch, but it's completely playable on modern systems without any modifications to the game files.

Also, this is your reminder that paying for Bloodlines today is rewarding Activision for shutting down Troika. You lose a point of Humanity each time you re-buy it on yet another platform.
Did you know you can't even get an unmodified game from Steam or GOG? GOG doesn't even have the option of getting the official version (anymore?) - it only comes with Unofficial Patch pre-installed. Contrary to popular belief, it's not entirely free of questionable additions/changes - and that's the Basic version. I could probably go full Drog on the Plus version, too bad I'm not up-to-date with it, and that's not the point anyway.

Zombra

Patron
Haha, yeah. I'm going to revert to an inferior unpatched version of a game and do an entire playthrough just to prove it's buggy to a complete stranger. Great use of my time and an extremely important point either way. I'll get right on that.

Zenith

Arbiter
Didn't mean you personally, more in abstract sense. People doing the yearly reinstall around the game's anniversary.
I'm kinda past the reinstalling phase myself, nowadays I watch strangers doing blind playthroughs. And there's a pattern where they 1) attribute UP+ additions to the game's notorious bugginess, and 2) attribute some of vanilla game's achievements to UP+. So this "unplayable" myth starts to really rub me the wrong way.
You do you. I hear the latest "superior version" includes brand new architecturally impossible toilet doors, but still doesn't seem to have tutorial door bug fixed, because priorities.

Latelistener

Arcane
The gold standard for turn-based tactics, still plays well, still beats all attempts to recreate the magic. Ask in the Codex threads the best way to patch it up.
As far as I'm aware of 1.13 is the only patch, but it's kinda of a mess and not recommended for the first walkthrough. It's not like 1.12 (vanilla) is broken. The only problem is small resolution.

Haha, yeah. I'm going to revert to an inferior unpatched version of a game and do an entire playthrough just to prove it's buggy to a complete stranger.
To be fair, the only real problem there was is the unskippable crash in the Society of Leopold, and it was fixed with the official patch 1.2.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I played through VTMB at launch and on the official patches multiple times with no notable bugs that I can remember. Maybe it crashed once or twice or messed up a quest, but whatever.
The real issue to me is and has always been the laughable combat implementation. From animations to mechanics etc, everything about it (the combat) is just bad and weirdly lower quality than the rest of the game imo.

Should probably play through it again finally... It's been forever. Maybe I'll try a modded/fan-patched playthrough for once.

Latelistener

Arcane
Would've been great if someone had ported this game to any new version of Source. Many issues could have been fixed, including combat.

Sadly it's a shit ton of ungrateful work and the fact that the game uses a fork of Source isn't helping.

Zombra

Patron
All right all right we can stop debating about Bloodlines and whether it should be patched. I think if we look reallllllly hard there just might already be a thread about the game. The point is it's on sale and everyone should buy it if they haven't played it, conversation over.

RPGs aside (everyone already owns anything worthwhile on steam) here's a list of my personal favorites (reasonably priced too):

CYOA

I love this game and I hate Harry Potter. The only time I actually felt like playing a role in a role playing game, go figure. A thoughtful, imaginative yet grounded story of a kid's first year in a magic school.

Tower Defense

Random ass game that nobody expected to come out (and do really well), from Lords of Xulima devs. It's pretty fun for 5-10 hours in it's current state, campaign is coming soon and they are testing editor atm, in its complete state, especially if editor is good it might be one of the best things ever in this category.

Platformer

Not a big fan of the genre (the last time I played something similar was Mario back on local NES knock-off), but this one is really neat. Great visuals/soundtrack and tight controls. Some mildly infuriating sections aside it's a very relaxing experience, surprised how much I liked it actually.

Roguelike

This one is actually free at te4.org, but I got 300 hours out of it according to steam, so it's well worth tossing a few bucks over to the dev.

One of a kind

I will never stop shilling for SR. It's a damn fine game that includes all sorts of shit (arcadey hyperspace battles, tactical turn based space combat, RTS missions on planets, CYOA text adventures etc.) and does most of it pretty well. Can't recommend it enough.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times, the sequel made by other studio. Originally release on mobile last year:

ss_2782b4974c75444306fa7dec12970863907206e3.600x338.jpg

Project Eagle, a non-game interactive model of a Mars colony made by Blackbird Interactive (Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak) with NASA:

Originally demoed last year, now it will be available for free to celebrate the landing of NASA's Mars InSight.

ss_8f92b95335dbea42113392f73ecc318b384cb671.600x338.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom