Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Please stop smelling your own farts because one game's time wasting mechanics are different than another's. The answer to time wasting mechanics isn't to ignore them because the game can get easy real fast (if you don't fuck up your build) but rather to not have them at all.
(especially when we're talking about a game that's unplayable without cheat engine)
"stop smelling your own farts"
"OMG game is so easy"
Right.
And the game is perfectly playable without CE unless you have ADHD or some shit.

orcinator

Liturgist
See, you're looking at it the wrong way. If merchants offer ALL items ALL the time, while you get to sell ALL items ALL the time, the fucking economy will broke, and if the devs let it this way, two kind of complains will emerge:
  1. Maximum weight is getting in the way of bringing all the loot. Because merchants offer ALL items ALL the time, players can't get the all simply because they're being restricted by maximum weight.
  2. The economy is broken. Because merchants are willing to buy ALL items ALL the time, players can simply go on a quest, looting literally everything that's not nailed to the floors and the walls, and gain infinite money before progressing even past early game
Underrail's system circumvent both this problem, simply by forcing players to NOT taking everything that's not nailed, thinking what kind of stuff they want to craft, only selling the most valuable items at the least weight, and loot accordingly.

The density on display here is kinda stunning.
Now I guess I have to explain it since it does seem like you've played neither underrail nor any beth game; You see it actually is possible to sell almost every item in Underrail, but you don't want to because it's too much work for little reward. This is in fact not all that different different from selling every item in bethgame because that also involves too much work for little reward. *gasp* You even have to look at the weight to cost ratio in bethgame too because you're still spending time hauling crap. Underrail does require you to spend a lot more time if you want to sell stuff but Underrail requires you to spend a lot of time to do anything.

Last edited:

Tygrende

Arbiter
How much does the jet ski cost in the alpha? More or less than the house?
There is going to be a lot of different jet skis with vastly different prices, from extremaly cheap to extremaly expensive. I'll put it this way: you probably won't be able to afford the most expensive one without Mercantile.

Parabalus

Arcane
How much does the jet ski cost in the alpha? More or less than the house?
There is going to be a lot of different jet skis with vastly different prices, from extremaly cheap to extremaly expensive. I'll put it this way: you probably won't be able to afford the most expensive one without Mercantile.

Did the house get any use except the work benches?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
closed beta

Weight is never an issue, it's the merchant restock timers.

Right. And you can counter that with Mercantile skill - if you wish.

Come on, you didn't need even a single 150+ plate. You just really wanted them. Personally I order 3 sets and just go with the best one I get, it's just a few %/points of DR/DT.

True, despite me being eternal minmaxer it's true.

By the way, the future economy changes solve the "a single electronic item from mid-game on buy out the puny 500 coins merchants have" problem to a degree if you are playing on Hard/DOMINATING.

Are we allowed to say this? :despair:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
in Arcanum, merchants also only accept certain items, instead of ALL the junks, except in Underrail we're literally being told what kind of items the merchants are looking for, while in Arcanum we have to guess what kind of items a merchant would be willing to buy. Even the Junk Dealers won't accept just about any junks. Though, iirc, at least a Master of Haggle can sell literally anything, so Arcanum had that going for it.

Seems like players like you got coddled by decline shit thinking every merchants needs to buy every piece of garbage you offer.
Yeah, what happened to merchants in games refusing to take items which wouldn't fit their specialty. This was implemented even in BGII. I remember being constantly annoyed with PoE/II's principle of "all items are worth the same amount to every merchant". Surprised that someone could consider it better.

orcinator

Liturgist
in Arcanum, merchants also only accept certain items, instead of ALL the junks, except in Underrail we're literally being told what kind of items the merchants are looking for, while in Arcanum we have to guess what kind of items a merchant would be willing to buy. Even the Junk Dealers won't accept just about any junks. Though, iirc, at least a Master of Haggle can sell literally anything, so Arcanum had that going for it.

Seems like players like you got coddled by decline shit thinking every merchants needs to buy every piece of garbage you offer.
Yeah, what happened to merchants in games refusing to take items which wouldn't fit their specialty. This was implemented even in BGII. I remember being constantly annoyed with PoE/II's principle of "all items are worth the same amount to every merchant". Surprised that someone could consider it better.

Because Spore

Black Angel

Arcane
Now I guess I have to explain it since it does seem like you've played neither underrail nor any beth game;
Nah, it's just that I don't have much experience with MMOs, so I just can't relate with anything you're saying.

You see it actually is possible to sell almost every item in Underrail, but you don't want to because it's too much work for little reward. This is in fact not all that different different from selling every item in bethgame because that also involves too much work for little reward. *gasp* You even have to look at the weight to cost ratio in bethgame too because you're still spending time hauling crap. Underrail does require you to spend a lot more time if you want to sell stuff but Underrail requires you to spend a lot of time to do anything.
See? It all sounds like your brain had too much MMO, that you're complaining when Underrail tries to cut off your habit of literally taking anything that's not nailed down to the walls and the floors, and wait around like a fucktard for merchants to restock, instead of just play the damn game.
You must be really dumb to say that trying to sell *almost* every item in Underrail give little reward, because when I played the game *normally*, going around after I'm done with a quest or exploration to sell items that I can and buying stuff I want that happened to be in stock rewards me a lot with shit ton of cash, supplies of meds and drugs, high quality crafting components and decent equipment before I get around to craft my own stuff. I can only imagine an MMO-junkie literally trying to exhaust every single coin, supplies, components, and equipment would be rewarded with anything they could ever want.... or not, if you're unlucky, so I never try any of that bullshit.

Now, tell me, *WHY* should I sell every items I had my hands on? Before you turn around my question, I'm *NOT* gonna sell every items I get my hands on, because not only it's tedious forcing myself to try taking literally everything that's not nailed to the walls and the floors, but also because merchants only pocket limited amount of cash AND they have restock timer, so instead of fussing over *WHY* I can't buy and sell everything any time I want, I just go ahead and play the game.

And the game is perfectly playable without CE unless you have ADHD or some shit.
progress bars in turn based combat
You can set combat speed all the way to 1000% since, I don't know, 2017, I guess?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Does opportunist feat work with psi abilities like cryostasis/neural overload? Same for recklessness, does it add critical chance to psi abilities? Styg you really need the descriptions to be more specific. Ive never played psi character and the lack of info is quite jarring.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Does opportunist feat work with psi abilities like cryostasis/neural overload? Same for recklessness, does it add critical chance to psi abilities? Styg you really need the descriptions to be more specific. Ive never played psi character and the lack of info is quite jarring.
No, and no. The descriptions ARE quite specific
http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Recklessness
Increases your chance to critically hit with weapons and unarmed attacks by 7%, but also increases your chance to get critically hit by weapon and unarmed attacks and psi abilities by 3%.
http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Opportunist
Increases damage against rooted, stunned and incapacitated targets by 25% and against slowed targets by 15% with weapons, unarmed attacks and throwing knives.

orcinator

Liturgist
See? It all sounds like your brain had too much MMO, that you're complaining when Underrail tries to cut off your habit of literally taking anything that's not nailed down to the walls and the floors, and wait around like a fucktard for merchants to restock, instead of just play the damn game.
You must be really dumb to say that trying to sell *almost* every item in Underrail give little reward, because when I played the game *normally*, going around after I'm done with a quest or exploration to sell items that I can and buying stuff I want that happened to be in stock rewards me a lot with shit ton of cash, supplies of meds and drugs, high quality crafting components and decent equipment before I get around to craft my own stuff. I can only imagine an MMO-junkie literally trying to exhaust every single coin, supplies, components, and equipment would be rewarded with anything they could ever want.... or not, if you're unlucky, so I never try any of that bullshit.
I see you used your limited mental abilities to craft a strawman instead of an argument. Well you actually strengthened my argument since you yourself said you can make yourself stronger by selling stuff but don't have to since you don't need to be that strong. You also failed to realize you're just describing playing a bethgame in a time efficient manner. Bethgame would just requires you to visit one trader and dump all your (high weight to value)crap there instead of making a tour through the market(and dropping any excess stuff at their feet).

You can set combat speed all the way to 1000% since, I don't know, 2017, I guess?
I didn't know that since I originally played the game around release (2015) and just went with cheat engine from the start in my more recent attempt. Too bad that doesn't affect all those out of combat progress bars nor the run speed.
Hey you know what genre has long progress bars fucking everywhere?
it's going to shock you
M
M
Os

ortucis

Prophet
Seriously this fucking game's UI and shit trading..

If the trading wasn't bad enough, you have to deal with the Microsoft Paint level of icons designed for ants.

vhmymPa.png

11mMmtt.png

Those lit items in your inventory? The guy gutting up the same fucking creature forever, won't buy them. They have red crosses applied on them which pretty much blend in with the background to make it more fun. Nine fucking hours I still end up double clicking on these items. You have to slow down to the level of a retard to observe those faded out red crosses. Why the fuck are the crosses transparent? Why not just make the whole fucking item grey or fade it out like everything else if it can't be sold?

v6dzVWo.png

zjmYNoj.png

This one's my favorite. The fucking grenade icon looks pretty much similar when you're quickly browsing inventory. I bought 6 grenades and when I was down in the caves dealing with like 4 PSI Beatles, feeling cocky that I can take them out with my nades, I throw the only grenade in utility slot damaging them.. and then I realized that I should have 6 more, but the slot was empty.

Apparently I bought 6 fucking grenade cases, not actual grenades. Nice job with the icons and color scheme. There are two fucking bear traps with different colors by apparently that's too much work to make a grenade case different color than actual grenade.

QOL changes, this game needs them.

Efe

Erudite
Now, tell me, *WHY* should I sell every items I had my hands on? .
so you can roll for supersteel.
not only it costs a lot. it also has a shitty time component thats reminiscent of mmos with arbitrary craft limits.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You really don't need crafting unless on hardest,you could just buy decent assault rifle,ammo and repair kits. The burst attack was really powerful.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
You really don't need crafting unless on hardest,you could just buy decent assault rifle,ammo and repair kits. The burst attack was really powerful.
That's what I'm doing right now and it's been pretty doable so far (I'm in the middle of the Junkyard scrapyard). I haven't really needed crafting yet, might get some crafting skills up a bit to make my own grenades later on if I have the extra skill points.
you have to deal with the Microsoft Paint level of icons designed for ants.
Maybe you need glasses because I can see those quite fine on my laptop screen when playing and even seeing pictures on my goddamn phone I can make a decent amount of those out. As for the transparency of the X, I haven't had a problem with that either. It's relatively noticeable.
The guy gutting up the same fucking creature forever, won't buy them.
He will though, it says right in the screenshot in bold, colored lettering that he will take 3 organs. You're giving him too many at a time, pretty simple that he won't pay for more since the demand for an intestine probably isn't that high.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I bought 6 grenades and when I was down in the caves dealing with like 4 PSI Beatles, feeling cocky that I can take them out with my nades, I throw the only grenade in utility slot damaging them.. and then I realized that I should have 6 more, but the slot was empty.

Apparently I bought 6 fucking grenade cases, not actual grenades.

Happened with me once lol, but I still playing it. ))

so you can roll for supersteel.
not only it costs a lot. it also has a shitty time component thats reminiscent of mmos with arbitrary craft limits.

Don;'t you worry, Expedition solves it in a quite elegant way. Especially on Dominating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom