Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Technobabylon: Birthright - sequel with 3D graphics

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://technocratgames.blogspot.co.at/2017/02/technobabylon-2-evolutionary-process.html

Technobabylon 2, Part 1: An Evolutionary Process

In a few months, it will have been two years since Technobabylon was released. Part of me, therefore, is panicking that I've not managed to release another game to follow it up yet - after all, that's a pretty hefty amount of time - but everyone can be assured that I'm not being completely bone-idle.

The first game was built with AGS, and I'd decided to move on to Unity for the next project. The downside of that was having to actually learn how to use the new system. On the plus side, it works a lot better by default with my favoured artistic medium of Blender. And, with eighteen months of messing around, I've managed to learn a few things about it.

To prove that things are actually getting done, here's an overview of the various Technobabylon-related things that have been produced. Granted, a "sequel" has taken several different shapes since April 2015, but with every shift things get better.

First Shot: Early Experiments

Making another game was, unsurprisingly, a foregone conclusion. People liked playing Technobabylon, and I really enjoyed making it. Of course there'd be another game! And with the ability to make use of 3D as a medium rather than an art reference opened a lot of doors. To make nice-looking characters though, I needed nice-looking references. The fanart of Amanda Virtudes was a good place to start from, so we produced some turnarounds for two of the main characters of the game. From an "essentials" perspective, it was a good place to begin from - Regis would make a good basis for a "default male" mesh/skeleton, and Lao for the "default female".

Planning for the Dr Regis Reference

Planning for the Dr Lao Reference

Planning for the Latha/Mandala Reference

With a bit more outsourcing, Ivan Ulyanov discovered a talent for texturing as we ended up with a nice-looking Doctor Lao. With these polygonal protagonists now on-hand, experiments could begin in the third dimension, to see what Unity could do - for example, importing motion-captured animations from the Carnegie Mellon database.

In Technobabylon, much of the scenery was designed in 3D using Blender, then used by Ben Chandler to create appropriate-looking pixel-art backgrounds, a system that served us well. My first (and laziest) go at making scenery in 3D involved simply pasting the 2D scene on top of the existing 3D model ("unwrap > project from view", if you're interested). The results were...better than expected. Obviously, any turning of the camera would create funny warping effects, and areas behind obstacles that hadn't been painted would also come out a little peculiarly.

The original 3D reference for Technobabylon's Aerostat hallway

Also, the low resolution didn't serve the 3D well, with overly-crisp 3D characters against a 320x200 background. However, it was an interesting place to begin from! A couple of attempts were made at higher-resolution paste-on textures, and although interesting, it didn't take advantage of the opportunities that Blender and Unity provided.

One of those advantages, I must say, was Adventure Creator, an addon for Unity. It essentially provides a framework within Unity for designing adventure games in a manner that is familiar to those who've used AGS. It's got differences here and there, and you've still got to get used to some of Unity's own aspects (for example, the way it handles GUIs), but for making an adventure, it'll cut so much time out of building the framework for it - on its own, Unity is essentially a blank slate, AC gives it a kickstart in the right direction. Plus, its designer, Chris Burton, is extraordinarily helpful - any daft questions you've got, you'll find them answered swiftly on the forums (or a polite pointer to where in the manual to find the info). So yes, another good argument for using it.

Another long-term goal I have is to ensure that future games will work on mobile platforms. With AGS, I can't even imagine where to begin with such a task, but in Unity it simply became a matter of ticking an "Android" box.

So, in the summer of 2015, the experiments had begun, and I was starting to get the hang of how one drives Unity.

Next episode: ISOBABYLON

Oh my, yes!

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
The 3d looks suspect, and I don't think it lends itself well to adventure games - more of a liability than an asset. Still, the author has a good track record.

Don't screw it up. :argh:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
That's only experimentation, read the follow-up diaries. James will likely settle with 3D-created art assets rendered to 2D backgrounds. He even found a Blender plugin that can convert animated characters into sprite animations.

Nzoka..gif

Apartment_Hallway_720_ads.jpg

Also, this will be the new player character: Nzoka, a Kenyan ex-soldier:

Nzoka_transparent.png

Last edited:

SilverSpook

Silver Spook Games
Developer
An interview I recently did with Technobabylon's creator, James Dearden, where we discuss some exciting news on Technobabylon 2, indie adventure game development, cyberpunk, Blade Runner 2049, Deus Ex, and a variety of other topics:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
No -- James has talked about wanting to push the visuals forward to pure 3D, and I guess he's now refined his technique enough that it's ready to go.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. Reading between the lines, I think it may be part of a broader effort to step into the Telltale vacancy:

For a lot of gamers and important game reviewers, getting a more modern look is essential:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
One thing to consider is that pixel art connotes "classic adventure games" to most viewers. If you're like me, that's a nice association. But if you're someone who thinks "too many puzzles, too many inventory items, you might die and have to reload, open-ended exploration is stressful" etc., then the association with Sierra and Lucas Arts is a huge turn off. By contrast, if a game looks like a "modern adventure game" it connotes a focus on story, streamlined gameplay, and deep character elaboration through long dialogues, without the risk of puzzles or deaths or confusion. That is a turn off to me, but a nice association for a lot of players. Depending on whether Technobabylon embraces the Unavowed/Lamplight direction for WEG, the graphical overhaul may largely be about clarifying that initial impression.

lightbane

Arcane
Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. Reading between the lines, I think it may be part of a broader effort to step into the Telltale vacancy:

*Glances at the still twitching, wandering corpse who's not allowed to die* Good luck with that.

I wonder if workers' mistreatment will be included as well. :troll:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
For a lot of gamers and important game reviewers, getting a more modern look is essential
Well, good for them - although from my perspective, designing an adventure game for people who don't like adventure games seems to be a move that's more likely to end up in a void than a broader market.

But again - time will tell, and this is an early shot. I will also give it a fair shake when it is done.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For a lot of gamers and important game reviewers, getting a more modern look is essential:

Meh, Codexers have been shitting on low-fi pixel art for years and now suddenly they won't look at a game if it isn't blurry.
I personally love pixel art, but I have no problem with high fidelity 3D graphics (which is loved more by broader audiences) if they are done properly.
These ones, however, are not.

Examples on how to do it properly if you have a lower budget.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The problem is that this looks more like ~1994 early experimenting with 3D (the puppet-like character in particular looks like something straight out of Hell), which doesn't exactly scream "modern". I can understand his attempt at broadening even if I don't agree with it but replacing beautifully crafted pixel art with something that wasn't even graphicwhoring 25 years ago, just for the sake of going 3D, doesn't strike me as a winning formula. If he thinks this will get him the Telltale and "cool graphix!" crowd then he's in for a very rude awakening.

Starwars

Arcane
Oh my no...

To be honest, I don't care that much as long as there is a quality game underneath but yeah... purely aesthetics-wise that looks pretty damn bad. Hope it will be worth the "upgrade" somehow (it won't).

Momock

Augur
Oh God.

Well, they say "Telltale before Walking Dead", so maybe it won't be total undiluted garbage. Maybe.

Does the new way of not making adventure games really work saleswise? The Pillars of Earth, Unavowed and that shit sell better than the euh... games that are games?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Dave said that Unavowed was his best selling title ever. Not sure if that's WEG-developed or whether it also includes WEG-published titles. Regardless, the last few real adventures WEG developed/published had very slow starts, and the only one that really took off (Technobabylon) depended a lot on a Humble Bundle sale. Per Steamcharts, the max simultaneous users for WEG titles at launch going back to Primordia were: Unavowed (322), Shardlight (95), Technobabylon (83), A Golden Wake (20), Blackwell Epiphany (105), Primordia (178). And the drop off for the second month was even worse: compare Unavowed (99) with Shardlight (18). One dropped by 61%, the other by 81%.

In addition to his design/writing/VO direction/publishing/PR skills, Dave is a very savvy businessman who has worked full-time running WEG as an adventure game company for 12 years (almost exactly as long as Lucas Arts managed to stay in the adventure game-making industry), so I would trust his judgment above just about anyone else's as to the business side of it. For me, adventure game making is a hobby, and as such I'd prefer to make adventure games proper irrespective of how they sell.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom