Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - now with Seed of Evil expansion

Jinn

Arcane
It also says the same thing under the "About the Game" section on the steam store, so I'm sure you get the same if you purchase through steam as well.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Worst thing about it I've heard so far is that it's only going to be around 20 hours long. Hopefully that's a very conservative estimate from the developers.
It took me a bit under 20hrs to play through it in Beta. There were a couple areas unfinished/being polished though, but that seems about right.

Jinn

Arcane
It took me a bit under 20hrs to play through it in Beta. There were a couple areas unfinished/being polished though, but that seems about right.

Thanks for letting me know. That really is a shame. It seems like the kind of game that would fit more comfortably in a 35-50 hour adventure, based on the emphasis on exploration and character progression.

bylam

Funcom
Developer

Thanks for letting me know. That really is a shame. It seems like the kind of game that would fit more comfortably in a 35-50 hour adventure, based on the emphasis on exploration and character progression.

I agree. To be fair, these guys are a small team (8-10 people I think) and they built this one from scratch. If this one does well, I'm pretty sure they'll make something bigger and better.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity

In don't see the value of long games anymore. I prefer focused games of high quality now perhaps also due to busy work life etc. I feel most long games contain too much filler moments.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
You might want to try that quote again, Frusciante. I know what you're referring to, though.

Anyway, I wasn't aware that 35 hour games have now become considered "long," unfocused, or of low quality. Me myself - I usually prefer a little more length in something like this because I enjoy the opportunity to become thoroughly invested in a game world and the overall sense of progression in the characters I'm playing with. Particularly when the world you are exploring is a bit of a character itself, I'm going to feel like I'm getting prematurely yanked away from this place if I'm done after a mere 15-20 hours (especially if replayability value is minimal). That's probably why I've always been more drawn to games like RPGs and tactics games. Prolonged investment and sense of progression. I like some room to play around and feel like a free-agent of sorts.

Not to say there aren't shorter games I enjoy - just that from what I've seen from this one, it seems like it could have benefitted from a little more fleshing out that it didn't get because of lack of resources, time, and staff. This was all but just confirmed by someone in this thread who works for the publisher and has playtested the game. I'm not saying the game will suck because of this or that it isn't worth supporting, just that it seems like a shame.

I can tell you right now, though. It's going to catch flack for its length unless there is indeed a fair amount of replayability to be found in it.

Last edited:

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
You might want to try that quote again, Frusiante.

I wasn't aware that 35 hour games have now become considered "long," unfocused, or of low quality. Me myself - I usually prefer a little more length in something like this because I enjoy the opportunity to become thoroughly invested in a game world and the overall sense of progression in the characters I'm playing with. Particularly when the world you are exploring is a bit of a character itself, I'm going to feel like I'm getting prematurely yanked away from this place if I'm done after a mere 15-20 hours (especially if replayability value is minimal). That's probably why I've always been more drawn to games like RPGs and tactics games. Prolonged investment and sense of progression.

I never said that 35 hour games are of low quality as a rule. In practice though I feel that many 50+ rpgs contain unnecessary filler content. This mostly applies to story driven rpgs though, for strategy/tactic games I have to admit that long play times almost never bother me.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you preorder the game you get the game 4 days earlier. It says 3 on steam/their website but they just announced that change on their last stream.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If nothing else this game looks more polished, atmospheric and with better graphics than Phoenix Point.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only thing that really bugs me so far about this one, is that enemies have "levels". I don't know why but it feels really weird to be able to see the "level" of an enemy. Also the fact that a hobo lvl1 and a hobo lvl100 will need very different approaches even though they should basically be the same

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game will be released on December 4th ... that like 4 more days.

New companion below:

Longer version:

Wunderbar

Arcane
xonTiRG.jpg

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only thing that really bugs me so far about this one, is that enemies have "levels". I don't know why but it feels really weird to be able to see the "level" of an enemy. Also the fact that a hobo lvl1 and a hobo lvl100 will need very different approaches even though they should basically be the same
Fun thing, I wandered into a level 25 area early on so I couldn't fight anything in it, instead I just sneaked around and got some gears from chests lying around that I feel like I'm not supposed to have yet. Stealth in this game is barebone but it's pretty fun tbh :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom