Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hines

Savant
I won't lie. Seeing Cain and Boyarsky on that gaudy stage being recognized and celebrated as the creators of Fallout made me very happy.
:d1p:

Terenty

Liturgist
Well reading interviews the game does sound proper Troika rp wise, i just wish Tim and Leonard were main writers for the game, Fallout 1 and Arcanum actually had rather well written dialogues, colourful and to the point

Delterius

Arcane
vPv9Z0I.png

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Everyone should saviour this game, because it's the last one we will get without Microsoft meddling with it. Then it's bye bye Obsidian.

I doubt they would mess with a proven formula if it's a huge hit. That's just not Microsoft way.

SpoilVictor

Educated
Obsidian: "We will make our own New Vegas with blackjack and hookers!" So they finally decided to follow CDPR and join grown-ups table and left kid's table behind. Good for them I guess. Loks like after all those PoEs, Torments etc. they realized that it was cool to relive the past but it wont take them anywhere.

Ofc I reckon all the consequences of this move: The Outer Worlds are aimed at Skyrim, Fallout 3, NV, 4 fans. Will it has more "RPG mechanics"? For sure. Will it be groundbreaking RPG? Surely not. But in can be fun ride for NV fans.

On combat: looks shit, but why would they bother? Skyrim, all nuFallouts, Witcher 3 had shit combat and mainstream didn't care. All you need is cool world to explore and all is forgiven to the point of being 10/10 GOTY Best RPG and sell millions copies.

I'm still not sold on world and aesthetics. All this space cowboys/wild west never worked for me in the past. On the other hand I'll take this over another generic medieval fantasy setting.

When Brokesda did everything in their power to push gamers into Obsidian's warm embrace with that aborted fetus Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 fiasco, Tim and Leo surely were laughing to tears.

Ape

Novice
The minute you heard about the trailer being released at a big event, you had to know this wasn’t going to be a turn based game.
lol, more like the second you heard this game was announced, you had to know this wasn't going to be a turn based game.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Well at least we're getting some fun memes out of this. There's that.

But seriously, if they can pull off New Vegas in space, it'd be the best nerdgasm in a while.

Beavery

Literate
Reading the interview with Megan, I hate how nowadays you can parade the fact you don't have microtransactions as if that should be a plus and not just the standard

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I wish it had been isometric instead. This simply looks bad.

Isometric + turn-based, how hard could it fucking be?

I have zero interest in FPS these days even if they are also considered RPGs. So this game isn’t for me. I like my rpgs isometric and turn based too. But it is a niche market.

The minute you heard about the trailer being released at a big event, you had to know this wasn’t going to be a turn based game.
Even before that. We've known for a year that it was in Unreal engine. Obsidian's not licensing that engine to make a turn-based isometric game.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Saw the comments here first and then only the video. So for me gameplay looked a bit better then I expected from reading the negativity, in short:

- setting looks interesting
- art and graphics are hit and miss for me. Indoor areas look quite nice, especially this scene with the green tube things at the end of the gameplay video. Outdoor areas on the other hand look quite horrendous. Character models look pretty good to me.
- combat looks passable, hopefully it will not be a focal point of the game
- stuff they said about different paths to take, factions to support etc sounds promising
- can't judge how good exploration will be but hopefully it will be one of the main points of enjoyment of this game

All in all, cautiously optimistic...

Egosphere

Arcane
Cautiously optimistic but that Starks gal with her Fallout 3 favourite as narrative director has tempered my optimism from earlier today. Hope Boyarsky and Cain firmly stamp their own identity onto the game.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I quite like it, I anticipated some sort of Alpha Protocol in space, sci-fi special agent or something but this is pretty interesting too. The world they've shown so far is some Victorian era trappings trapped in Wild West but there's a whole other fully corporatized planet teeming with sci-fi so still more to come and show, I guess. I think a skeleton of competent RPG is already there, hopefully they will fill it up to high heavens with guns and randomized loots; I mean I would like carefully crafted non-scaled loots as much as the next person but what can you do in this FPS game. This game can fall into that jack of all trades, master of none, trap and I guess if they want to be exceptionally good at something and blazon this fact all around while the hype is hot and reception is good, then they might as well go for the decoratives/loot overload. And this planet hopping stuff could mean that they can release planet after planet worth of expansion in some self-contained plot and more easily expand. Of course it won't be No Man's Sky procedural limbo but a sandbox planet with procedural dungeon/exploration/survival could be cool too.

Sadly I didn't see any verticality here, but hopefully they see fit to include it and augment exploration aspect. I did note that there is no auto lowering/holstering of guns per se, does it mean that any npc is fair game as far as your target is concerned? And I wonder what the point to the adventure is, tho, if there is some dark humour and sarcasm involved, I hope they skewer the heck out of the last hero/saviour narrative and Bethesda atrocities (like a huge area with no living NPCs and constant dropping nukes/asteroids) in one fell swoop.

I think the timing can't be better for Obsidian to strut their stuff after the latest Fallout fiasco. All the best to them.

Sentinel

Arcane
Everyone should saviour this game, because it's the last one we will get without Microsoft meddling with it. Then it's bye bye Obsidian.
And that's a good thing!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom