Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

waterdeep

Learned
Any chance Expedition comes out early 2019?

Black Angel

Arcane
Just note that the RT option in Arcanum isn't something that actually works. It's shitty and half-broken because publisher insisted. The player can't really react that fast. The only good use of the RT option is that NPCs can fight between themselves without turn-based combat engaging. You can leave them fighting and do your thing.

It's possible to exploit turn order by switching to RT and back but it's not something a monocled gentleman would stoop to.
Yeah, and I remembered reading some advice on how to deal with golems and the likes as ranged character. Basically, switching to RT when facing those type of enemies is the 'best' way to deal with them. Because for some reason those big, weighty creatures who packed real HARD punch and logically slow-moving (and behaved that way in RT) somehow was able to close in on your character so easily and hits 2 times in TB mode. Even if they happened to use their special attack (I assume it's some kind of boulder throw) they STILL have enough AP to close their gap (or hit once if they already did). Ranged characters (especially those specialized in bows, like Raven) can simply rain hell upon golems in RT and they'll go down in no time at all. Hell, you can even use your own character to bait them around and let your companions finish them off.
While this isn't a problem that's inherent to RT mode itself, I think the problem lies in the fact that since RT mode is just (presumably) slapped on top of TB mode, the Troika guys were unable to see the flaw in regards to how RT mode take creature's action point costs of TB mode and convert them into 'speed' mechanic. Having said all that, I had a problem of NPCs and companions not progressing their turns at all once in a while, and switching to RT when that happens actually 'fix' this problem.

Does similar problems exists in Fallout Tactics?

BG2 or a mod could restrict rest in outdoor areas. The mechanic has been in place and so easy to "abuse" for so long it's not justifiable not to patch it up, if it's indeed community consensus.
I'm glad there are mods to restrict rest mechanic of BG games, and I think the community will also come into a consensus that respeccing should never be present in Underrail; except maybe a method of respec that completely eliminate or at least minimize all the theoretical problem that can and will happen like players benefiting from crafting skills and feats to craft real good shit, only to respec all those skills and feats into some others.

By the same logic I'm savescumming Underrail. I have to "open" combat right, for example GMS 3rd level or Vince. Snipe then flashbang, or frag then flashbang. There's some 60% or so chance this succeeds with both hits. So having missed either by a long shot (e.g. grenade landing totally elsewhere), I reload. "I should pay Vince", my ass. It's a longtime tradition that my builds kill Vince each time it's first necessary to go through the slums.
Eh, this is actually a problem, or *rather*, mindset that a lot of people have when playing turn-based games in general. I'm pretty sure similar mindset you described here came across people's mind when they play RNG-heavy turn based RPGs. Even I have some of those thoughts some times, although my turn-based RPGs experience were rather limited to Fallout 1&2, the TC mods for Fallout 2 (Fallout 1.5: Resurrection and Fallout of Nevada), Age of Decadence, and Dungeon Rats.

"This aimed shot to the eye MUST cripple that Deathclaw"
"The bola I'm going to throw MUST hit that guy's head"
"The bomb I'm going to throw MUST knock down that guy"

And when things don't go your way, things are going to go down hill; unless the RNG ALSO fuck your enemies in the ass by making them experiencing critical failure that resulted in losing their next turn, or Dodge/Block save your ass throughout the enemies turns, or the guy who tried to put some distance between him and your character was unable to evade your Attack of Opportunity and thus was unable to act in his turn.
I'd say people tend to forget those things that happened to you can ALSO happen to your enemies, and thus they can't resist the urge to reload until things go their way. I personally have less urge to reload when things don't go my way in Fallout and AoD-DR, simply because in case of the former the critical failure mechanics can spice things up, while in the latter the mechanic feedback and visuals of your Dodge/Block skill is clearer (and thus, I always look forward to see my character showing off his/her mad skillz dodging/blocking attacks left and right).

Any chance Expedition comes out early 2019?
You fucker! :argh: yet another thousand micro-issues appears and delay the expansion simply because the questions that mustn't be asked is asked :negative:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, this is actually a problem, or *rather*, mindset that a lot of people have when playing turn-based games in general. I'm pretty sure similar mindset you described here came across people's mind when they play RNG-heavy turn based RPGs. Even I have some of those thoughts some times, although my turn-based RPGs experience were rather limited to Fallout 1&2, the TC mods for Fallout 2 (Fallout 1.5: Resurrection and Fallout of Nevada), Age of Decadence, and Dungeon Rats.

And when things don't go your way, things are going to go down hill; unless the RNG ALSO fuck your enemies in the ass by making them experiencing critical failure that resulted in losing their next turn, or Dodge/Block save your ass throughout the enemies turns, or the guy who tried to put some distance between him and your character was unable to evade your Attack of Opportunity and thus was unable to act in his turn.
I'd say people tend to forget those things that happened to you can ALSO happen to your enemies, and thus they can't resist the urge to reload until things go their way. I personally have less urge to reload when things don't go my way in Fallout and AoD-DR, simply because in case of the former the critical failure mechanics can spice things up, while in the latter the mechanic feedback and visuals of your Dodge/Block skill is clearer (and thus, I always look forward to see my character showing off his/her mad skillz dodging/blocking attacks left and right).
This is a good point, but it's also true that playing a squishy character in Underrail means that many encounters are won or lost in the first few rounds of combat. Flub your alpha strike, and chances are you'll be dead before you get to follow up, unless there's a convenient corner to hide behind or, as you say, enemies flub theirs in turn. I never reloaded unless I was dead in my sneaky crossbowman playthrough, but most of the time that self-imposed rule didn't really matter if that first flashbang or stun bolt failed to come off, and I might as well have reloaded before letting the enemies take their turn.

Black Angel

Arcane
This is a good point, but it's also true that playing a squishy character in Underrail means that many encounters are won or lost in the first few rounds of combat. Flub your alpha strike, and chances are you'll be dead before you get to follow up,
That's why the only squishy character to play in Underrail is PSI-stealthy, that way you could *never* flub your alpha strike. Observe encounters ahead while in stealth -> initiate combat by yourself -> Locus of Control + Premeditation -> cast Enrage -> enjoy the fireworks :smug:

Tygrende

Arbiter
This is a good point, but it's also true that playing a squishy character in Underrail means that many encounters are won or lost in the first few rounds of combat. Flub your alpha strike, and chances are you'll be dead before you get to follow up, unless there's a convenient corner to hide behind or, as you say, enemies flub theirs in turn. I never reloaded unless I was dead in my sneaky crossbowman playthrough, but most of the time that self-imposed rule didn't really matter if that first flashbang or stun bolt failed to come off, and I might as well have reloaded before letting the enemies take their turn.
If your survival depends on one miss/resist during the first round, there is room for improvement.

Barbalos

Savant
I remember the first time I ran into a Death Stalker (though I've still not managed to beat one yet). I ran away to the previous screen, then killed myself with a hypo due to that one debuff they have. Good times.

Jezal_k23

First one I met scared the shit out of me. Felt like I was being pursued by the alien from Alien.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think they're great enemies because they signify how absolutely dangerous the caves and underrail can be, that it's not all rat hounds and lake things and psi beetles.

Beastro

Arcane
So when is this game's expack coming out?

My old laptop died and took my old saves with it back in 2015. Looking forward to replying it again with some new shit.

Black Angel

Arcane
i killed rathound king cos he has great light armor
He will still give you even when you set up a truce.

Now that I think about it, combat solution to Rathound King quest is literally, "No Truce with the Furries".
Hmm i now can olay underrail in crisp 1440p instead of 768x1366 peasantry now. Come on expacks
How's the font? The UIs?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

I wouldn't personally consider needing a 75% bola shot to connect, savescumming. Some builds are worse against some other builds. Take the Mack the Knife opponent as an example. Or some guy with a buckler. In AoD CYOA filled with fights and skill checks, it's either continuing the storyline or rolling a new character that can metagame better. Just use a mod for "easy mode" SP gain. YMMV.

I thought Deathclaws were FN P90 fodder :grampy bone:

If your survival depends on one miss/resist during the first round, there is room for improvement.

Tell that to the combat systems the games use. I'm not saying it's needed all of the time, but select few fights are like that. Early game you don't have many options either.

I'm having fun with my AR dude. But not yet being able to craft uber-rifles is sort of frustrating. I want a good quality 7.62 Hornet with all the right attachments ffs.

Black Angel

Arcane

I wouldn't personally consider needing a 75% bola shot to connect, savescumming. Some builds are worse against some other builds. Take the Mack the Knife opponent as an example. Or some guy with a buckler. In AoD CYOA filled with fights and skill checks, it's either continuing the storyline or rolling a new character that can metagame better. Just use a mod for "easy mode" SP gain. YMMV.

I thought Deathclaws were FN P90 fodder :grampy bone:
Those are just one example in each game, and there are many other cases that would trigger people's tendency to reload until the game starts acting in the way they desired it to be. Like, in Fallout, you might want to keep companions alive or whatever (and I know I did so many times), and in some circumstances your companions can get focus-fired by enemies real fast, because the AI was so predictable (as in, they will ALWAYS attack the last attacker who attack them or their allies). In AoD, no matter how good your builds are, you might be tempted to reload the moment you can't score a crit when using aimed attacks (which would help tremendously as an enemy loses AP/THC permanently, or makes your poison much more deadlier because a crit against torso can reduce CON, and CON reduce poison damage), or the moment you were unable to finish one particular enemy in 1-2 turns.

Still, I had less urge to reload in Fallout and AoD-DR, because like I mentioned in my previous post, in those games there are better feedback in regards to mechanic and visuals at what's happening when it's not your character's turn. Critical failures makes combat encounters much more entertaining in Fallout, while in AoD-DR it's satisfying to see our character dodge/block all enemy attacks with mad skillz.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I think they're great enemies because they signify how absolutely dangerous the caves and underrail can be, that it's not all rat hounds and lake things and psi beetles.
I feel like there's a better way to do this than putting half a dozen of these things that are almost impossible to kill alone all together on the same screen.
I remember the first time I ran into a Death Stalker (though I've still not managed to beat one yet). I ran away to the previous screen, then killed myself with a hypo due to that one debuff they have. Good times.
The fucking hypoallergenic? That's one of my major problems with them.
First one I met scared the shit out of me. Felt like I was being pursued by the alien from Alien.
I'll concede this. They definitely give me heavy Alien vibes.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Third anniversary for Underrail is coming up soon, expansion still isnt released yet. Please styg, I just want to cut up filthy savages with a machete

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Third anniversary for Underrail is coming up soon, expansion still isnt released yet. Please styg, I just want to cut up filthy savages with a machete
If that's your desire, you can play a melee build in Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
They're great enemies and definitely require a significantly different playstyle vs. Other enemies.

I actually wish more enemies were like that. With Psi beetles the strategy seems to kill as many possible as quickly as you can. Other enemies seem just as straight forward. I'd love something that just forces you to approach it differently.

Sykar

Arcane
They're great enemies and definitely require a significantly different playstyle vs. Other enemies.

I actually wish more enemies were like that. With Psi beetles the strategy seems to kill as many possible as quickly as you can. Other enemies seem just as straight forward. I'd love something that just forces you to approach it differently.

Spamming flares and molotovs do not make a playstyle.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Compared to every other enemy it does. I don't use flares and molotovs. If I'm able, I switch on night vision and try to walk my way through before doubling back on them. Last few playthroughs I've given myself con 10 and basically can't get stunned. What makes that difficult is it becomes a perpetual hunt. They will rarely ever voluntarily unstealth and keep attacking after the first sting. They'll just keep trying to hide.

So either I wait to get dazed and then move a turn or two before turning around and trying to bump into them or I try and find their hidey hole. It makes it a vicious game of cat and mouse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom