Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Few MBs games

Having only the system HD available I can't install anything bigger than 1-2 GBs at most. How would you suggest to waste my time? My preference goes to strategic, managerial, tactical games; lately I've been on Rimworld, but I could use something less "mod based" because *cough*cough* reasons.
Yesterday I was so desperate I had 3 clickers opened at the same time =_=
Please send help.

Morkar Left

Star Traders Frontiers

your whole dosbox collection with all the old school classics you were missing

Dominions 4 is 500meg, I assume Dominions 5 can't be much larger. Conquest of Elysium 4 is 1 gig. King of Dragon Pass is around 500meg. Low Magic Age is 200meg. Majesty Gold HD is under a gig. Renowned Explorers International Society may not be exactly what you're looking for (Though you could make an argument for strategic, managerial, and tactical) but it's just a hair over 1 gig. Slay the Spire is half a gig and I am obliged to always mention it. Zafehouse Diaries 2 is 300meg.

nobre

Cipher
Just checked a few games I have installed.

Under 2 GB:
Jagged Alliance 2 with 1.13 mod. Without mod, a lot less I guess.
Arsenal of Democracy
IIRC Victoria is under 2 GB too, so any Europa engine Paradox game would qualify.
GTA: Vice City (not really tactical/strategy though)
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura

Under 1 GB
Fallout 1 and 2
Surprisingly, Deus Ex is less than 1 GB
Spiderweb games aren't large too, so you could probably install Avernum 1-6.
Red Alert 2 with Yuri's Revenge

well, of course i meant "something new, something i haven't played to death already", but you gave all these anwers because you're all so much fun.

star trader, i had my share already, thank you anyway.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
No grand strategy or any large scale management but from I can remember of recent tactical games and RPGs I think Drums of war, Swords and Sorcery : Underworld, Telepath Tactics, Serpent in the staglands, Paper Sorcerer, Chroma Squad, Steam Marines, Bludgeons & Krakens, Balrum or Lurking I and Lurking II have small installers. Or roguelikes.

Last edited:
balrum caught my eye but without trying an extended demo firsthand i couldn't form an idea about it. do you know more?

cowking

Scholar
OpenXCom

If you've played xcom recently you could go with the 40k mod.

Also if you've never played Cataclysm DDA before I'd recommend trying it, or maybe TOME4.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
balrum caught my eye but without trying an extended demo firsthand i couldn't form an idea about it. do you know more?
Argh, it's the only game in the list I've not played yet.
Bludgeons & Krakens could be of interest, it's an single character open-world RPG focused on turn-based combat and looting. And it's free.
MMczkG.png
Drums of War is very fun if you like middle scale tactical battles.
Telepath Tactics I personally got increasing lags as a battle went on, I hope it's not a common thing, but for the rest I enjoyed it through the end.
Swords and Sorcery : Underworld is worth it if you like blobbers in general, and Paper Sorcerer is worth it if you like blobbers focused only on combat.

Unwanted

Soulstones

Unwanted
Tele Tactics is made with Flash. If you camp, this piece of shit crawls to a stop in 40 turns.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
It's a shame, the game is cool otherwise, it's only a problem during long battles but still.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It took me a while to understand what the title means.

Have you played Warbanners?

yeah, sorry, i thought about it too late, i'm dumb.

no, i skipped warbanners, i feared it'd have been too similar to wesnoth which has all the right things and with those it does every possible wrong thing.

Cael

Arcane
Age of Empires 2: Conquerors and Age of Mythology. Both are pretty solid RTS games and quite small, IIRC.

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout 1.5 Resurrection (with Fallout 2) should be about 1GB.

Prince of Qin also if you want some old style real time RPG with strong item crafting.

Install an emulator and do a PS1 replay. There's shitload of good games that way.

PS2 got Ring of Red which is short and sweet tactical turnbased RPG.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

no, i skipped warbanners, i feared it'd have been too similar to wesnoth which has all the right things and with those it does every possible wrong thing.
Yes, it's similar and fulfills the same niche, but different enough that if you think Wesnoth has the right things, Warbanners would be worth trying.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Yes, it's similar and fulfills the same niche, but different enough that if you think Wesnoth has the right things, Warbanners would be worth trying.
Warbanners had same developer as Drums of War. Sadly it lacks castle assault scenarios of DoW.

Doorkickers, Halfway and Steam World Heist are all smaller than 1 Gb games.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Caesar 3, Pharaoh, Zeus, Emperor: RotMK for city-building goodness. My current Pharaoh+Cleo expansion install is 790 MB; the others aren't much different.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Bungie's Myth games might be small enough, and are extremely excellent. Good luck finding them, though.

and it also kept track of all the times you saved. i could easily go into the hundred.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom