Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
It has more than four dialogs options. Incline.

Deadfire has the most dialogue options of any RPG, so anything less would be decline.

3fpushn.jpg

F6AFu8l.jpg

Except most dialogue options in PoE don't matter.

In this specific example, each option produces a unique vocal response, leading to three different branches in the tree with their own set of dialogue options. Choosing a bad option and failing to pass the subsequent intimidate check leads to bloodshed. Passing three skill checks and selecting a good dialog option leads to the meeting resolving peacefully.

The complexity of Deadfire's branching dialogue trees surpasses every other RPG, and that's a fact.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Didn't see this posted yet.

:excellent:

I'm cautiosly erect like all the rest of you ofc.

Wait, isn't Chris supposed to like Beth's Fallout? What happened here?

Chris is betting on Bethesda would think it was in Obs' agenda to mean that with those, rather than spreading the "fuck you bethesda" message. MCA works in mysterious ways.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Maybe the 76 clusterfuck was a bridge too far? Or perhaps MCA no longer desires to work with BGS so who cares?

Chris Avellone, care to comment in your capacity as someone who is totally not the real Chris Avellone and thus can speak ill of other companies with impunity?

It's a bit of a weird turn after sucking Bethesda's cock for so long, and practically begging to work on some Fallout game.

Guess he's upset all that cocksucking didn't have any results. Bethesda just doesn't give a shit about him.

He'd probably sing a different tune if he was asked to write the dragon description in F76 or something.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Who is writing this ? If is beast of winter team we are fucked lol
Patel and Starks.
That's what worries me most. These two are massive decline. I hope Tim and Leonard have reined them in better than Josh had.

And I don't understand idiots who see Mass Effect: Andromeda in this game
I don't understand the idiots who have actually played Andromeda, after the whole world knew it was shit before it was released.

Maybe the 76 clusterfuck was a bridge too far? Or perhaps MCA no longer desires to work with BGS so who cares?

Chris Avellone, care to comment in your capacity as someone who is totally not the real Chris Avellone and thus can speak ill of other companies with impunity?
I like it how once it became clear that large groups of Bethesda's fanbase are seriously, long-term, disappointed with Bethesda, it suddenly became fashionable among all the weasel journos to kick and shit on Bethesda. I guess even Chris decided to have a bit of fun.

Any sane person with a pinch of taste for games knows Bethesda have always been the lowest tier of shit there is. It's not some kind of discovery.

Generic-Giant-Spider

So what, people in the future cannot afford hair? Or the dyke look is mandatory?

It's sad that of all the wild things promised in the future back in the '80s, the only thing that made it to reality were the queer hairstyles.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So what, people in the future cannot afford hair? Or the dyke look is mandatory?

It's sad that of all the wild things promised in the future back in the '80s, the only thing that made it to reality were the queer hairstyles.
There is also the phone calls with video. Although if I could choose which of the two to do away with, I'm not sure which one I would choose.

ArchAngel

Arcane
for some reason for me it has BORDERLANDS all over.. and im kind of tired of first person Fallout.
I am still waiting to play a good FP Fallout so I am not tired.
FNV had a terrible engine that even mods could not save so I had no fun playing it, F4 was not a rpg except in a wide sense, and Elex was not a game for me (and not FP)

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
The reaction of the Internet at large sees to be very enthusiastic, with many people hoping this will be a slap on Bethesda's cheek. This is in no small measure due to New Vegas, which even most normies agree was superior to the Beth Fallouts.

Obsidian are riding such a wave of good will right now that they only need to not completely fuck up in order to have a hit on their hands.

But this is Obsidian we are talking about. They do have a talent for tragedy even when the winds are in their favour.
Hopefully Private Division recognise what is happening with hype (probably unexpected) around this reveal and give Obs extra cash and time to do it right.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, the game to finally render Chris Avellone, and his association with Obsidian, a fond memory. Owing his renown to Ravel and Kreia, he will, at last, join them in obscurity and bitterness. A poetic end.

Unwanted

Soulstones

Unwanted
Aahahahahhfahahahahhahahahahahahhaha
Ashahahahahahhahahahhahahpfffffffffffffffffffffffft
breath son breath
PFFFFFTAHahahahahahahhahahahahah

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer

tindrli

Arcane
for some reason for me it has BORDERLANDS all over.. and im kind of tired of first person Fallout.
I am still waiting to play a good FP Fallout so I am not tired.
FNV had a terrible engine that even mods could save so I had no fun playing it, F4 was not a rpg except in a wide sense, and Elex was not a game for me (and not FP)
the problem is that from those ingame videos i dont think it would be good FP fallout.. not even close. anyway, the time will tell. still one year to go

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
There is nothing wrong with Patel (she is slightly uneven but ok) and Starks is ok as long as she doesn't write companions.

The game is mostly under Tim Cain and Boyarsky anyway, and Patel and Starks are ok as secondary writers.

There is nothing wrong with Patel (she is slightly uneven but ok) and Starks is ok as long as she doesn't write companions.

The game is mostly under Tim Cain and Boyarsky anyway

doesn't their combined writing pedigree extend solely to diablo 3

FreeKaner

They wrote the only good part of dumpsterfire (The Gullet) and Tyranny is actually decent plot, narrative design and dialogue wise, aside from ending abruptly and 1 companion (which Starks wrote). Starks seem to go full whedon quirky with her companions which is super jarring but does good work for areas and what not. Patel's work in White March is p. good, I don't remember if Starks wrote for that.

Aside from that Patel wrote actual books (which is more than what most game writers can say) and Starks wrote for a MMO but I have no idea of that.

Regardless I think a lot of the problems in PoE1 and PoE2 doesn't stem from a general lack of talent, but not knowing what they were doing, trying to do several things at once that they didn't actually excel at, overall lack of good direction and focus, mismatch and mixing of a lot ideas etc. Which are greater issues than just 2 writers.

Last edited:

Vityaz

Augur

They wrote the only good part of dumpsterfire (The Gullet) and Tyranny is actually decent plot, narrative design and dialogue wise, aside from ending abruptly and 1 companion (which Starks wrote). Starks seem to go full whedon quirky with her companions which is super jarring but does good work for areas and what not.

Aside from that Patel wrote actual books (which is more than what most game writers can say) and Starks wrote for a MMO but I have no idea of that.

Agreed. I am kinda indifferent on Starks but Patel did rather well with what she had in PoE and Deadfire IMHO.

Haven't read her book tho (didn't even know she had any), any good?

FreeKaner

Haven't read her book tho (didn't even know she had any), any good?

I didn't read it either, but seems to be a murder mystery and political intrigue in a Dsytopian fantasy world. Reviews seem to indicate ok to good with some unique stuff. In any case, the fact that she wrote books that found an audience and seems to try different things is p. much better than 99% game writers alone.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The downright fucking HILARIOUS: This is easily going to be Obsidian doing Bethesda better than Bethesda.
I don't mean to sound cocky but I think pretty much everybody who attempted to make a Bethesda game did better job than Bethesda.

Really!? Mention one Bethesda-like game which sold more than Skyrim or F4.
Yeah, because my point was about money made :roll:

Your point was about a "better job" which implies not only a quality game but a game which brings more money in the end.

Anyway I know what you mean but I guess I don't like the cocky attitude.

naossano

Cipher
Of course, retards like naossano take the statement ad litteram (because that's all he can do) and then Safav Hamon piles up with more bullshit about PoE dialogues (as they can serve for anything else that examples of fluff or writers retardation).

Fair enough?

Who said my statement should be taken at face value ?
As a rule of thumb, any sentence containing the word Incline has 75% chance of being ironic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom