Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kenshi Released

ArchAngel

Arcane
How many cRPGs let you roleplay as a slave trader or a slave? Can you do this in Minecraft? Of course you can't.
As a father of a little kid, I have learned that you can do whatever shit you want in Minecraft with right mods. If collecting shit and fighting others is all it takes to call shit like this an RPG, my description of this game being Minecraft for autists fits perfectly. Because in that case Minecraft is a huge RPG as well.

Leitz

Learned
How many cRPGs let you roleplay as a slave trader or a slave? Can you do this in Minecraft? Of course you can't.
As a father of a little kid, I have learned that you can do whatever shit you want in Minecraft with right mods. If collecting shit and fighting others is all it takes to call shit like this an RPG, my description of this game being Minecraft for autists fits perfectly. Because in that case Minecraft is a huge RPG as well.
Just fuck off with your little fag son and play minecraft then.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I'm seeing more appeal to the game now. Building a base, researching, and upgrading your teams is fun, though I just got off a Rimworld binge so we'll see how long it keeps my interest.

I went to the other town on my map, Squin, and was surprised to see it was a real town, unlike the poorly-named Hub. Made some money scavenging loot from dead bandits killed by the guards. This really does seem to be the only reliable way to make money along with mining.

-Stealing? doesn't interest me.
-Trading? Can you buy low and sell high? I thought about checking farm prices vs town for profit opportunities but the margins seem low and its easier to mine.
-Crafting? Need a base first.
-Bounty hunting? Not an option as combat is too lethal without upgrades.

This game needs some weak early mobs to grind on, like the nighttime bandits in Darklands. Or some simple missions. Couriers? How does news travel? Deliver cargo? Get hired as a caravan guard? Work for the town guard? Day laborer at a farm?

I went north to the town of Stack and found several ore nodes outside for easy mining. I left two party members there while I went out alone to scout for a base. I may just build outside of Stack if I don't find any place better. I scouted the whole valley area to the north but it was lacking in copper.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn I keep replaying the trailer just for the soundtrack. Pretty great stuff

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Moving stuff around in inventories, when by fluke:

Distracted guards in a shop to look away from my thief by getting a female squad member to remove her shirt. Store clerks all said "Hellllo!" at the same time and focused on her :lol:

EDIT: Also noticed that stealthy characters are watched by guards/shop clerks above others in party. Just assumed it was a character being "squad leader" prior to that.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Best way make money at start is hope for random encounters with wolves and goats you can make 10 grand if you lucky.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Building an outpost seems to be more of a nuisance than anything else. Causes timed intervals of bandit raids to the location therafter :roll:

No use until you are late into a playthrough, seems like you need to go Genghis Khan in order to quell it.

Tovias

Learned
I'm seeing more appeal to the game now. Building a base, researching, and upgrading your teams is fun, though I just got off a Rimworld binge so we'll see how long it keeps my interest.

I went to the other town on my map, Squin, and was surprised to see it was a real town, unlike the poorly-named Hub. Made some money scavenging loot from dead bandits killed by the guards. This really does seem to be the only reliable way to make money along with mining.

-Stealing? doesn't interest me.
-Trading? Can you buy low and sell high? I thought about checking farm prices vs town for profit opportunities but the margins seem low and its easier to mine.
-Crafting? Need a base first.
-Bounty hunting? Not an option as combat is too lethal without upgrades.

This game needs some weak early mobs to grind on, like the nighttime bandits in Darklands. Or some simple missions. Couriers? How does news travel? Deliver cargo? Get hired as a caravan guard? Work for the town guard? Day laborer at a farm?

I went north to the town of Stack and found several ore nodes outside for easy mining. I left two party members there while I went out alone to scout for a base. I may just build outside of Stack if I don't find any place better. I scouted the whole valley area to the north but it was lacking in copper.
I believe you can buy alcohol for cheap at the swamp and sell high at the UC cities. You can do some crafting from a house in a city if you get the raw materials, mite be on a net lose for a while but you will pick up. Squin is a difficult place to make money since, much like all the Shek kingdom, it's a poor and ruined city with a poblation obsessed with dying. If you want money then UC is the place you want, plenty of slavers buy prisoners you bring and you can stay at some town and farm the Skimmers killed by guards periodically.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I believe you can buy alcohol for cheap at the swamp and sell high at the UC cities.
Hive sells "Hashish" - which can also be sold to the "Crusader" faction for a nice profit - closest vicinity. Otherwise, a faction checking you for contraband at their gates is a good sign they have a wealthy black-market.

United Cities

being poor and hungry is a crime that can get you arrested.

The Holy Nation

They are a xenophobic and zealous people who will openly attack other races, women, or anyone who does not agree with their religious beliefs.

It warms the cockles of my heart to see both the Tory Party and Muslims represented properly and accurately in video game.

It warms the cockles of my heart to see both the Tory Party and Muslims represented properly and accurately in video game.
Hive Zone - always rains, "red".

Giant pond of "red" at center of hub.

Subtle.

:lol:
Is Kenshi saying /ourguy/ Comrad Corbyn is going to stomp the Tories in a sea of U.S.S.R red? Our mortal minds are too feeble for this subtlety.

Leitz

Learned
After I read a lot about lag and low FPS, I expected this game to be unplayable on my toaster. But holy moly it runs totally fine. Is only the starting area free from lag orwut?

After I read a lot about lag and low FPS, I expected this game to be unplayable on my toaster. But holy moly it runs totally fine. Is only the starting area free from lag orwut?
I had the same experience on my beefy rig. Everything was fine for the starting zone but venturing out the game got progressively slower. I don't rightly know why. Anyone have any idea why?

Saduj

Arcane
So basically it has no story or dialogue to speak of? It's all procedural?

Are there any written pieces of lore or books lying around the world even?

You can speak with NPCs and ask lore related questions about the area or their race or job. There are unique companions you can find who will talk while you explore the game world, some of it is banter and some is lore related. Architecture is the same across factions except Hive. But there are clear differences in culture between the factions.

Edit: that stuff is there but it’s not a game you play for the story. It just adds to atmosphere a bit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom