Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter AntharioN

Mustawd

Save yourself the money and play Helherron. It's free and better.
helherron.co.nf

Helherron_1.jpg

:hmmm:

V_K

Arcane
What killed Antharion for me was horrible writing and nonsensical quest design. From what I remember from ~10 years ago, Helherron was marginally better in that regards. Both are almost purely combat games though.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
So are they working on another game? They probably spent half of development time on building a pleasant engine, it would be a waste that they never make another game using it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're dead, Jim. Haven't heard anything in ages. Question is if they are even developing games anymore. They made some patches in a short time.

I sent them a mail, asking them if they are making another game.

DrDungeon

Developer
They're definitely working on a new one. Its similar to, but much more elaborate than Antharion. Rest assured the company is well aware of the improvements and changes needed. I have the honor of being the first one who will get to actually play it.
But its rather secret right now so I'm not at liberty to discuss details. Hang in there.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're definitely working on a new one. Its similar to, but much more elaborate than Antharion. Rest assured the company is well aware of the improvements and changes needed. I have the honor of being the first one who will get to actually play it.
But its rather secret right now so I'm not at liberty to discuss details. Hang in there.
Absolutely great news.

I'm gonna install my copy of madman just for this.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi ---------
Glad you enjoyed AntharioN. We do indeed have more games in the works but aren’t ready to announce anything just yet.
Thanks,
-Jen
Orphic Software

This confirms what DrDungeon said.

vazha

Arcane
Antharion was quite a solid debut, if they can learn from its shortcomings and build on its strengths it might end up being a very good rpg indeed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The worst thing about the game,for me,was the dungeons. Very generic with long corridors and random rooms. Never felt like an actual place in the world. They felt like unity engine shovelware.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You'll never hear me say this again, but what this game needed was grinding. Let me back up. The whole design was on a "kill stuff, level up, kill more stuff" basis, but every enemy was hand-placed and once it was gone it was gone forever, so if you cleared the beach but only found 9/10 seagull wings for a quest, you couldn't just come back later and find another seagull ... that shoreline would now be barren of life for all time. It felt weird and wrong for a game of this type.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
what do you mean by "random rooms", they weren't randomly generated?
Don't know if they were,most likely they were randomly generated,then messed around by the devs and put in the game. From what i know they weren't random at every game or something like that. Just never felt like something that human will do.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
You'll never hear me say this again, but what this game needed was grinding. Let me back up. The whole design was on a "kill stuff, level up, kill more stuff" basis, but every enemy was hand-placed and once it was gone it was gone forever, so if you cleared the beach but only found 9/10 seagull wings for a quest, you couldn't just come back later and find another seagull ... that shoreline would now be barren of life for all time. It felt weird and wrong for a game of this type.

the thing that was really bad about this IIRC was, until you'd taken the quest, the drops would be much less frequent/ non-existant. So you'd always head straight for the next town, avoid as many enemies as you could, and took every quest possible.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And gameplay aside, it makes the world feel empty and revisiting areas became dull. A fantasy RPG game world should feel dangerous even if you've already been through an area before. If I have a quest to go kill a group of bandits in the forest, it's cool if they don't appear again later, but if I can cross the mountains and kill 100% of the bears that live there, and there are no bears ever again, it's just kind of weird. Did 4 people just destroy the global ecosystem by hunting a few bears? Are seagulls extinct now because I did one quest?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And gameplay aside, it makes the world feel empty and revisiting areas became dull. A fantasy RPG game world should feel dangerous even if you've already been through an area before. If I have a quest to go kill a group of bandits in the forest, it's cool if they don't appear again later, but if I can cross the mountains and kill 100% of the bears that live there, and there are no bears ever again, it's just kind of weird. Did 4 people just destroy the global ecosystem by hunting a few bears? Are seagulls extinct now because I did one quest?
And what rpg does this? Respawning enemy is shit in most games.

Mustawd

If I have a quest to go kill a group of bandits in the forest, it's cool if they don't appear again later, but if I can cross the mountains and kill 100% of the bears that live there, and there are no bears ever again, it's just kind of weird. Did 4 people just destroy the global ecosystem by hunting a few bears? Are seagulls extinct now because I did one ques

I find it weird that you’re taking things so literally. I always viewed it as an abstraction. It’s like traveling an uncharted part of forest. You have zero trails, your guys probably have to hack their way through thicks brush to make walkable paths, and you have zero established campsites or caches. Of course the initial run through is brutal, but afterwards not seeing the same wildlife makes more sense than some random bear crashing your established campsite with his gang of seagulls.

Now, trails in the wilderness aren’t permanent, and for further realism you could have a mechanic that would treat an area as being uninhabited or unvisited long enough as to revert back to its original dangerous state.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New website, nothing about the next project yet: http://orphicsoftware.com

Building digital worlds from the ground up.

Founded in 2012, we're an independent software development studio focused on the creation of games and game engine related technologies and assets from the ground up using proprietary custom tools. Our philosophy and practices are driven by the notion that, with a small enough scale and broad enough scope, total vertical technological integration is indeed achievable, opening the door to the possibility of a new and unimaginable level of robustness through attention to detail at every level.

passerby

Arcane
I didn't play the game, but:

Quest items drops shouldn't be random, or relay on having a quest in a quest log, that's it.
I like a sense of accomplishment after clearing a map, fuck respawns.

jdinatale

Cipher
I started playing the game today and about 8 hours in. It's fun, but there are many quality of life things missing:

-The mini-map is horrible. There needs to be a bigger one you can open

-No fast travel outside a mark/recall spell that only grey wizards can access

-Enemies don't respawn and there's no way to know that an item dropped is quest related

-The load time for saving/loading is bad

Good game for an exploration/combat fag like me.

jdinatale

Cipher
Just rage quit after 9 hours. It's a fun game, but the mini-map is a mess. There are these massive labrynth like dungeon and there is no way to know what you've already explored except by mindlessly clicking and hugging the walls. And the automap does not even fill in correctly unless you hug the walls, otherwise it looks like area you haven't explored yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom