Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Disgruntled

Savant
I finally got around to fighting Schrat, I was terrified going on by all the stories id heard but my midgame party did well enough against 3 of em with the Axe spam tactic. Those little spawns caused all the injuries while the bigguns missed almost every time (maybe i got really lucky). Surprisingly they broke morale which hasnt really been the case with unholds ive faced.

QuxkUx3.jpg

I got put back to Earth by 3 Lindwurms right after which took a 3rd savescum with a passing caravan to finish. Much nastier dealing with that ranged attack and tails. If one gets a kill they all get the morale buff and start wrecking shit, but cause of the range and having the tails involved too I couldnt get enough tanks to cover everything and kill em quickly enough. The acid blood wasnt even a factor with how hard they hit at this stage, I think i only fought em once before the new dlc but my party was a lot more equipped so I kinda forgot how strong they are.

Prime Junta

On an Ironman run. Day 45. It's going well despite some recent setbacks.

This is a game of sometimes you beat the RNG, sometimes the RNG beats you.

I had two strokes of luck in the first days of the campaign, one purely happenstance, one a calculated risk. The happenstance one was when I got jumped by six raiders while on a regular courier job... and everything went wrong for them from the start. First round I got in a series of crits at 20-40% hit chances, and they whiffed everything. Second round, same thing, at which point they were down one guy, with four white-flagging and only one fighting. And as a cherry on the cake, most of their equipment survived. So what would have been an early end turned out to be a very nice boost.

The calculated risk was an extremely lucrative caravan job just after getting my head count to 12. It was good for 2880 crowns, and it went well: two bandit fights on the way, lost two expendable meat shield bros, but scored some nice equipment and a very sweet pile of cash.

After that it was smooth sailing until day 40 or so, with a major highlight a fight against a group with two bandit leaders; scored some more nice gear there.

The recent setback was kind of the mirror image of the first lucky fight -- a group of bandits that should have been easy to beat got in a series of unlikely crits that brought down two of my veteran frontliners; however my morale held and I beat them with no further losses. Those bros will be missed. Fortunately I have a cash cushion of nearly 10k and some spare gear so I will be able to replace them, but it was a setback, no mistake about that.

This follows the first time I retreated from a fight -- an otherwise simple base clearing job, but the base was in a swamp, and this time my reliance on a single sniper backfired: they had several, and just stayed put shooting arrows at me, whereas my marching into the swamp would have been suicidal. So I withdrew without losses and took the rep hit.

With the latest setback, I've lost five bros so far, with the other three all being cheap mediocre level 1 recruits, plus a few permanent injuries of course. This is not bad. I just hope I won't get another setback like that because that will be a lot more difficult to claw my way out of.

The more dangerous contracts are a lot more manageable now than they used to be by the way. I didn't ever take three-skull jobs on ironman runs before, but now I do if the parameters look reasonable, and I'm surviving them pretty decently.

Edit: Made it to day 65, at which point, Ende. Partly bad luck, partly screw up by me. Artefact recovery job with necromancer.

Bad luck plus screw-up 1: the map. I thought it'd be flat but it was hilly, and I mistakenly clicked through before noticing. Ended up in a really bad position with them up a hill and me down. Still they were few and I was many, so I figured, foolishly, that I'd manage an uphill assault.

Screw-up plus bad luck 2: I didn't pay sufficient attention to the topography, and thought that an enemy was 2 levels down so I ignored him. Turns out he was only 1 level down, and he managed to push back my frontline and get at my lightly-armoured pikemen.

Pure bad luck 3: my flanking party set up to get the necromancer whiffed a series of attacks and the enemy managed to get the necromancer into safety with my flanking party tied down by their shieldmen; proceeded to raise and energise a nasty fallen bandit, who proceeded to wreck my pikemen.

Lost four veteran bros, decided to call it off. Still, it was a good run. My strategic mistake was that I got cocky and took unnecessary risks; I would have beaten that fight easily had I just noticed that it was on hilly terrain, fallen back, and tried again on flat, or failing that, when on that really bad map, retreat and try again for a better one.

By the way I would really like it if BB was the least bit intelligent about positioning your and the enemy formation on the map. It just feels really fucking stupid to start out in a trench between two hills with half your force on a ridge 2 tiles up so they have to march allll the way around to get the formation together. Or, for that matter, in a bog waist-deep in water when there's solid ground three steps away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

Soulstones

Unwanted
I finally got around to fighting Schrat, I was terrified going on by all the stories id heard but my midgame party did well enough against 3 of em with the Axe spam tactic.
+1. Wasnt here a guy saying he runs from 2 of em... Why? I was scared when I first hit one of them and did like 5% dmg... But afterwards, nope.

Delayed first turn, the Schrats step exactly into range of your backline on your next turn if you move up. Move up backline, move up frontline. End turn. Your backline attacks first with Overwhelm and high Init. If you are unlucky (Schrats will get about 40% cth) you eat some dmg/injuries.
Start chopping shields and schrats. Surround and the sprouts dont sprout. 5 on 1 gangbang fatigues and overwhelms them.
SOSHIzd.png

Got lucky and took about 100 pts of dmg and an injury. Unholds are nastier.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
First famed item of my only successful DLC campaign at day 70. Heard a tavern rumor of some legendary armor held by some undead up north.

I go to the snowy wastes. Beat back a Necromancer, his Fallen hero, and 13-odd weidergangers (or whatever).

I look at the loot. YES! FAMED ARMOR!

122 dura leather armor with 10 fatigue. Basically bandit armor + direwolf attachment-quality.

Oh well. I did knife down the Fallen Hero and I got lucky to get his armor and helm. 250 dura a piece (although the fatigue is too high for any of my bros to wear at the moment - skipped brawny in favor of rotation on most of my bros so I'll need to grab that on level up).

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Also - I don't think nimble is overpowered per se. A late game battleforged bro will outtank him by a mile. The reason it feels OP though is because in the mid-game, before you can get decent armor for BF to truly shine, nimble can outtank pretty much anything. I built two nimble bros and I kind of feel bad about it. Might put them in reserves soon but one of my starting bros had a great HP roll + fat - how could I not nimble him?

Parabalus

Arcane
Also - I don't think nimble is overpowered per se. A late game battleforged bro will outtank him by a mile. The reason it feels OP though is because in the mid-game, before you can get decent armor for BF to truly shine, nimble can outtank pretty much anything. I built two nimble bros and I kind of feel bad about it. Might put them in reserves soon but one of my starting bros had a great HP roll + fat - how could I not nimble him?

It's not by a mile sadly.

The battleforged guy with close to 700-800 armor from uniques is similarly tanky to a 120-150HP naked nimbler.

The difference is the nimble guy has no fatigue malus AND his armor doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of tools to repair.

Tool to play around with:

http://bbbros.herokuapp.com/

They'll probably adjust it a bit, it's not too gamebreaking but mostly immersion breaking to run around naked instead of light armor.

Murk

Arcane
I don't think the solution is to go all nimble or all heavy armor, they both have their roles.

Though I do keep all my archers and my flanker nimble in part so their ability to move first is up there and so they can keep acting with a bigger fatigue reserve -- that is, I can afford to keep using things like indom, multi-hit abilities, etc.

At the stage I'm in my bros are drinking tools/repair faster than water, and often my game-map strategy is "go find town, buy 5 sets of tools, then repeat after next fight".

vazha

Arcane
rapsdjff Is a beast end game crisis even a remote possibility? The game's begging for unhold lairs and hexen covens.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter

It's not by a mile sadly.

The battleforged guy with close to 700-800 armor from uniques is similarly tanky to a 120-150HP naked nimbler.

The difference is the nimble guy has no fatigue malus AND his armor doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of tools to repair.

Tool to play around with:

http://bbbros.herokuapp.com/

They'll probably adjust it a bit, it's not too gamebreaking but mostly immersion breaking to run around naked instead of light armor.

Naked nimble
>cheap
>no gear dependent
>tons of 'free' fatigue and init
>great synergy with recovery and indomitable
>no injuries almost
Battleforged heavy armored dude
>costly
>gear dependent
>low on fatigue
>recovery suck ass
>using skills make you tired all the time
>chug tools like water

Its immersion breaking and logistic nightmare. Not even mention plenty of weapon give increasing dmg to armor, battleforge reverse scale with dmg received(when nimble work at max efficiency always).
I run medium/light armor plus few heavies but going naked is viable option(and to be honest it should not be).

tindrli

Arcane
is there a list with all professions and events related with them?
which are good to find? several pages before someone mentioned a tailor, and some others monk i think, to be able to forge an armor. cultist and witch hunter are good?
i aslo noticed that here on this list
676900683E656D636F790AC23DDAD6E09E609027

there are no Beast hunter and i just saw one are there more proffesions that are not covered with this list?

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Nimble is ok for Bros who are actually 'lightly armored'. Emphasis on armored! You get around 50% reduction wearing mail and light helmets, for the sake of different builds I'm fine with that.

But we have people running around in shirts and Witchhunter hats with 150 HP stomping the Black Monolith:

That's silly.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
is there a list with all professions and events related with them?
which are good to find? several pages before someone mentioned a tailor, and some others monk i think, to be able to forge an armor. cultist and witch hunter are good?
i aslo noticed that here on this list
676900683E656D636F790AC23DDAD6E09E609027

there are no Beast hunter and i just saw one are there more proffesions that are not covered with this list?

List is pre-DLC, which is a good spot since they might have changed some things. Doubtful though.

Bowyer has master bow event, tailor lost his dire wolf armor, or at least it's much less useful, since it got changed into attachments.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Nimble is ok for Bros who are actually 'lightly armored'. Emphasis on armored! You get around 50% reduction wearing mail and light helmets, for the sake of different builds I'm fine with that.

But we have people running around in shirts and Witchhunter hats and cloth shirts with 150 HP stomping the Black Monolith:

That's silly.

I'll agree with this. I think it should be reconfigured to make light/medium armor builds more viable than they currently are, instead of naked jester-cap being the meta.

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't mind that naked warriors can be viable, I can just choose not to do it.

My bros are around level 9-10 now, having made it through the first War, and I find that I like stacking Nimble, chain armour (e.g. the ~110 armour ~10 fatigue? mail) and sometimes even Brawny. I'm sure it's suboptimal later on, though. In some cases, it's definitely awesome to wear light/medium armour and a heater shield, get something like 60+ mdef, duelist, and have him smash things up.

Bought a swordsmaster instead of hedge knight just because, the guy started with something like 78? attack and decentish everywhere else. Of course, he nearly died in the very first battle...

jungl

Augur
well its nice it doesnt make it a trap for the player if you put points in hp. More stats being useful then before.

tindrli

Arcane
ok bros, im gonna meet a org warlord for a first time. any suggestions? there are 15 of them. its a night. at least 8 goblins 2 riders and 2 goblin spearman and 4 mixed orc. cant see warlord yet, and my best 2H swordsman with 86ATT just missed completely. UMRUK GHUL. and the motherfucker is HUGE!.
ok i got him.. sadly nothing.. no unique, not even some kind of special ork warlord weapon or anything.. meh

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
ok bros, im gonna meet a org warlord for a first time. any suggestions? there are 15 of them. its a night. at least 8 goblins 2 riders and 2 goblin spearman and 4 mixed orc. cant see warlord yet, and my best 2H swordsman with 86ATT just missed completely. UMRUK GHUL. and the motherfucker is HUGE!
When he has a 'Mansplitter' axe he has to be prioritized - at least once he gets in striking distance. If not and you can get quick kills on others do so, it should offset the Warlords Warcry with moral boosts.

Good luck!

Whiskeyjack

Learned
So my second legendary is a bit better than my first....
2858DBF4E6560A6D473B024E34EC9B1962451F2A

Not bad for day 81. It has 2 more fatigue than my 200 dura helms, but 145 more armor.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
YAY! Day 103 and my first unique item. Ork shield...
You need to go hunting for uniques earlier. Once missions become (mostly) trivial money collecting, you're better served clearing out nests legendary hunting than just chasing around brigands and spiders and alps.

Edit: Eh, I say that. If you're making a good profit you can always gear up by buying armor, but I just think cost/benefit is in favor of legendary hunting. Plus you may also get good mid-tier gear from either bandit leaders/fallen heroes. I generally avoid greenskins when legendary hunting because a) fighting orcs will fuck up your armor and cost a ton and their other loot isn't worth too much, and b) fuck goblins - just fuck them in their faces.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
YAY! Day 103 and my first unique item. Ork shield...
You need to go hunting for uniques earlier. Once missions become (mostly) trivial money collecting, you're better served clearing out nests legendary hunting than just chasing around brigands and spiders and alps.

Edit: Eh, I say that. If you're making a good profit you can always gear up by buying armor, but I just think cost/benefit is in favor of legendary hunting. Plus you may also get good mid-tier gear from either bandit leaders/fallen heroes. I generally avoid greenskins when legendary hunting because a) fighting orcs will fuck up your armor and cost a ton and their other loot isn't worth too much, and b) fuck goblins - just fuck them in their faces.
I love that Uniques are rare and they should stay something special that makes you really happy when you find it. But I wouldn't mind a slight increase in Unique spawn chance. With all the new weapons it seems even more difficult to get one that fits.

In my last campaign I got a lot shields and daggers (none of wich I use) but I never saw a greatsword, two-handed flail or a two-handed mace offered in a shop, even if I took plenty of boring caravan mission to towns with many shops. The only locations giving me uniques were the 'Sea of tents' and the - rare - tavern rumors.

Maybe I just got unlucky, but in between caravans I spent hundreds of days crushing every camp of any type as far away from civilization as possible and the rewards were really poor. Oh well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom