Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Barbalos

Savant
The biggest problem I've had in Castle Darkmoor is the insanity spells the beholders inflict on me. I don't have any anti-insanity or insanity cure spells, and insanity will kill you after awhile. So I had to leave every 20-30 minutes to get my characters cured at the temple, which is on the other side of the map, it was just brutal. I do have potions I can make, but not enough to clear the dungeon in 2, 3 or so more tries (after 10+ trips in). So I just left it for now, going to the Frozen Highlands which seems like I may be able to do some stuff there.

Fuck Darkmoor.

T. Reich

Arcane
insanity will kill you after awhile

Nope.

Ailment-inflicted insanity does not kill you. In fact, NOT dispelling insanity on your knights is a great buff.

What kills you is lack of sleep.
1 day without sleep = weakness.
3(?) days without sleep = insanity.
5(or 7?) days without sleep = death.
Weakness and insanity can be dispelled, but unless you sleep in time, you can't avoid death.

Barbalos

Savant
insanity will kill you after awhile

Nope.

Ailment-inflicted insanity does not kill you. In fact, NOT dispelling insanity on your knights is a great buff.

What kills you is lack of sleep.
1 day without sleep = weakness.
3(?) days without sleep = insanity.
5(or 7?) days without sleep = death.
Weakness and insanity can be dispelled, but unless you sleep in time, you can't avoid death.

Oh really? I was under the impression, maybe from playing MM3 beforehand, that insanity would kill over time. Jeez, if I knew that, it'd have been much less frustrating. It is a bit of hamper for my magic-heavy party to be insane, but not nearly as bad as I thought. Thanks for the info!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
One thing about the merge, you can't hire hirelings (not sure if you knew that). There is a small tab on the right side of the screen that will show you people you have tagging along, such as people you are rescuing for a quest.

I choose the merge due to a reputation bug I was having when I started MM6 regular, where my rep would continuously go down spontaneously from the very beginning of the game. The better viewport is also nice, but I would have played the regular version if I could have. Also, I've heard someone say that GM water is not working/implemented correctly in MM6 in the merge...

Started the merge mod as well (except i started from the MM8 world (MM6 wouldn't start for some reason and the dragonflies from 7 pissed me off last time i tried ).

I've got some more information about the reputation

Outside of the merchant decrease (which might have been solved in the merge, i left once without buying/selling and didn't get any decrease), it works by region so you have 0 in any new area but your reputation from other areas don't seem to decrease or it's very slow because i didn't see it yet (i'm not too far in the game either, my party is lvl 13)

The beginning is tedious but once you get bows + some skill and decent spells, it gets better but i have to admit the best part of the game is shopping / looting treasure chests until your goons become half-gods.

The other appeal, for me is to get different classes and builds, i've seen people here talking about having 2 + liches, sure it's certainly powerful but it's boring.

So, my party is composed by 4 permanent customized members :

- Minotaur (Axe based of course) by the name of Crag Hack ;-)
- Cleric (for obvious reasons and light magic)
- Dark Elf (for bow GM and decent magic skills)
- Necromancer (Dark magic elemental magic GM )

I plan on recruiting a dragon as the 5th party member and probably a vampire in the meantime as soon as i can recruit a decent one, got a ninja first, a real meatbag but quite useless otherwise.

About hirelings : you can recruit them and they work properly (at least the one giving +20 luck does, didn't check the +2 magic skills one) as for the one reducing map transition by 3 days (minimum 1) it doesn't work on the stagecoach nor the boat travel but it might just be for regular travel.

Last edited:

Barbalos

Savant
About hirelings : you can recruit them and they work properly (at least the one giving +20 luck does, didn't check the +2 magic skills one) as for the one reducing map transition by 3 days (minimum 1) it doesn't work on the stagecoach nor the boat travel but it might just be for regular travel.

I wonder if that's a function of a newer version, or of the MM8 world, since I am on an older version and started in MM6. I tried to update my version. It worked, but it wiped all my Fame so I reverted it..

Glad to see someone else playing the merge reporting in. I got the quest to be able to go to the other worlds from south of Castle Ironfist, and it looks like I'll have to do a lot of running around before I'll be able to complete it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm not sure fame has any impact.
I wonder how the NPC recruitment works, is it party level wise or does it work with fame (since i could recruit a lvl 15 NPC while the party was lvl 13 )

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Got the quest too, i'm not sure how tough it is but doesn't seem so hard, didn't go to murmurwoods yet.

To kill a unicorn i believe and use the horn or was it a special unicorn ?

I also forgot about that small detail, when your party sleeps in a inn, the vampire "portrait" turns into a bat sleeping upside down. :bounce:

Game really seems rushed but that's not so bad, dungeons are well design and mostly short, which is nice, i hate badly designed immense dungeons.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, i jumped from MMVIII world to MMVI (still playing the MM6 + 7 + 8 merge mod)

How to :

Was simple, either they were vague enough or i didn't read at first, you just have to get to a stone circle and use the town portal spell, even a scroll works so you can make a run for it early on eventually.

Also had a dimension door spell drop but it looked like a book while it was a scroll so of course, i tried to learn it and it tried to cast it so i cancelled and lost it in the process ...

So, i'm there with my 50+ level 4 men party and my newly recruited lvl 5 dragon (he's as strong as the rest already with some skill boost through skill games and horseshoes, even have as much HP as the Minotaur ^^' )

• Engine : i was sold by the idea MM6 and 7 world would play in MM8 engine but they don't
  • Graphics aren't as polished (i'm not sure it's MM6 vanilla version level through, maybe a "hi-res" patch is on, still, there is a big difference)
  • Trainers : in MM8, they're marked on the auto-map once you visit them, they're not in MM6 world.
  • Sounds : Arrows sound better in MM8, it's not a big deal but when you switch from 8 to 6, it's quite obvious
  • Level gap : i thought they would apply a "smart scale" to upgrade monsters when you jump in another world, doesn't seem they did, there is a legion of low level rats in free haven sewers (also some thieves with a few high level variations, not sure they were there in the first place but i played MM6 20 years ago or close enough )
None of those things really matter but put all together, it adds up.
Also, Might & Magic is about getting +1 level every 15 minutes (or even more), about getting some better gear (even if it's just a slightly better ring) and finding trainers to get a higher expertise so this merge beats this purpose.

So, i'm not sure i'm going to go on playing it, i'll probably just come back to my last MM8 save and finish the game, then, when i feel like it i'll get back to MM6 or 7 (most likely 7)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
MMX is not a bad game in its own right, but the modding scene is pretty much dead since Unity is a pos that is hard to mod if the developers haven't made it easy. It's worth a playthrough regardless, don't believe the naysayers. The setting is shit, but you win some, you lose some.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
M&M X Nexus mod page

Legacy mod seems interesting, there's a couple of fixes, including a new merchant skill and a fixed perfect strike, i'm not sure about the disabled features they're talking about in the mod description though.

Also, from jesebela / ubisoft forums

The Game was built on Unity engine with developers planning for modding options, which however crashed on Unity PRO (paid version) requirement to insert new content into game. Those are fact so far. Speculation is that UBI or Unity was unwilling to spend more money/reach agreement on this.
Game is highly modable, even just using text editor.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative:
I still have nightmares about the time when i was excited about the game coming out. It was the last game i have been hyped for its coming out. It turned out to be a pile of vomited shit that was a MM game only in name.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
M&MX has the best character system and mechanics in the series. The change in setting is lame, but the core gameplay still feels authentically like Might & Magic to me.

The reason I don't like it is because the graphics are an eyesore, it's glitchy as hell, the open world is too gated, and the soundtrack isn't as good as previous games.

Luzur

Good Sir
MEN, KNEEL
tumblr_pi1kzs84cr1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9gachPqiQ1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p2sf9fNGNb1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p2sf4bFv8C1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p2sf1csr811tg94xho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ose1he5BbW1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_orwwdmHtct1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ogz82z9kjt1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ogz81vBLtZ1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o0cmyaekjD1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I love that for a while, other games had to explicitly state "You don't need experience with previous games in this series to play this one" due to Wizardrys 2, 3 and 4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom