Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean, how much overhead do you guys end up having? Having splurged on a couple of higher tier dudes I'm now at ~400g for mostly level 9-10 dudes.
That's about the same as I'm paying my 16-18 bros. At any given time, I've recently lost a high-level bro or two and am training up replacements, so at least a few of those are green schmucks who take about 10 crowns a day. It seems like a good balance.

Murk

Arcane
My group of 14 at day 360+ eats up around 800 gold, only two expensive backgrounds are 2 sellswords and 1 swordmaster... though the retired soldier might be a bit pricey too, didn't check. He's a fucking beast tho, was really surprised to see his stats. The fatigue limitation hurts but is not anywhere near s bad as I imagined it might be, but part of it is because he had iron lungs. They also eat a ton of food, apparently. Before I used to run the risk of my food going bad but now I find I am constantly buying food at every town I stop at. I wonder if provision use scales with anything or if I just always had smaller companies?

I put that group on hold and started a new one, with the intention to never go over 8 bros and to only even recruit after I lose one. I started by just getting the first 5 random schlubs I could from the get-go and running with it. So far I've had 3 casualties in 5 days. The life of a mercenary is an exciting but short lived one, apparently.

Fitting since I named the company the 'Standing Few'.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
So the Noble War is kind of kicking my ass. Been through two battles now, and lost 2-3 bros in each one. First one was mainly those crap bros you sign up early and just end up hanging around, so I didn't mind too much. Second battle killed my companion archer, one of my twohanders, and one of my main shieldbros. So 5 bros down in two battles, and now I'm at 11. Good news is I got a complete set of plate from the knight in the last fight, so I have two full helms and one coat of plates, plus a good selection of footman armor and the like.

I'm learning to hate crossbows and hammers.

Tigranes

Arcane
In my experience the War big battles are all about encouraging your allies correctly. Making them go to dangerous places and be meatshields, but also directing them towards the enemy sergeant & hero, and protecting the ally sergeant if you get one as they can do some crazy damage. Once they are engaged, I can get some of my free guys to flank around and hit the archers.

Thonius

Arcane
I know about taverns and rotation. It's just not effective. Also were the fuck all webckneghts and direwolfs. It seems that they died off in my map seed.

Disgruntled

Savant
Im still not a fan of how new nimble works. HP damage reduction is a tanking brute skill, indicating something like iron skin or whatever. Nimble should be associated with dodging attacks, perhaps a master build being almost untouchable in 1v1 but exponentially screwed if surrounded.
I think this whole idea of lightly armored bros 'balanced' as viable as heavily armored tanks when dealing with damage is flawed. Saying its a glancing strike defense is a bit of a copout explanation.

Id rather see balance by more heavy armor penalties like -1 to -10% melee/range skill. eg with closed helms you can see many discussions on how they impair fighting ability due to impaired vision.
They could also introduce movement fatigue penalties since the heaviest of armors weren't something you'd be happy to merrily stroll the countryside in on foot.
Nimble should be a perk that amplifies the natural benefits of light armor; slight buff to melee/range atk, slight reduction to fatigue when moving, strong buff to melee/range defense. And of course nullified if you take it while wearing plate.

For now, ill continue to avoid it as a broken perk.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
In my experience the War big battles are all about encouraging your allies correctly. Making them go to dangerous places and be meatshields, but also directing them towards the enemy sergeant & hero, and protecting the ally sergeant if you get one as they can do some crazy damage. Once they are engaged, I can get some of my free guys to flank around and hit the archers.
I've been trying that but man they're fucking dumb and for some reason I've been outnumbered both battles I've done so far. They'll run their high initiative pole and crossbows in front of the shields and I'll have two dead before I can do anything. That may be because I am light on archers so they feel the need to rush to make up the range advantage, but it just sets up the whole fight shittily.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Im still not a fan of how new nimble works. HP damage reduction is a tanking brute skill, indicating something like iron skin or whatever. Nimble should be associated with dodging attacks, perhaps a master build being almost untouchable in 1v1 but exponentially screwed if surrounded.
I think this whole idea of lightly armored bros 'balanced' as viable as heavily armored tanks when dealing with damage is flawed. Saying its a glancing strike defense is a bit of a copout explanation.

Id rather see balance by more heavy armor penalties like -1 to -10% melee/range skill. eg with closed helms you can see many discussions on how they impair fighting ability due to impaired vision.
They could also introduce movement fatigue penalties since the heaviest of armors weren't something you'd be happy to merrily stroll the countryside in on foot.
Nimble should be a perk that amplifies the natural benefits of light armor; slight buff to melee/range atk, slight reduction to fatigue when moving, strong buff to melee/range defense. And of course nullified if you take it while wearing plate.

For now, ill continue to avoid it as a broken perk.
I agree that it doesn't really make sense. And that BB - while not always beeing 'realistic' - mostly makes sense is one of it's greatest qualities.

But a reliable 'Nimble' was needed for more build variety and the solution they found makes that possible without big changes to the combat rules. And why fuck with them, when it's for most players the best part of the game?

We'll see if it's still too strong, but at the moment I'm fine with it.

Disgruntled

Savant
I agree that more variety is needed and that agile lightly armored bros have a place on the table but hedging the fix on a single flawed perk is not the way to do it imo. Hit chance and movement fatigue penalties on heavy armor would not screw with the game mechanics too much.
Early to midgame would be largely the same since at that point only the bulkiest of bros can afford to wear heavy armor anyway.
Late game is when it starts to get repetitive with battleforged steel coffins everywhere and thats when you will usually pack enough melee attack that taking a penalty is a reasonable trade-of. But with the changes id like to see, you could also choose to keep a few dudes in lighter armor since they cant take that much of a reduction in melee attack.
Certainly its a lot more work to do for the devs (maybe even having to modify some enemies not completely destroying you unless you have 300+ effective hp/armor) but it would be a more wide ranging fix for lack of variety rather than nimble being the 'unlock light medium armor viability' like it is right now.

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
My biggest problem with nimble is not that its strong but that heavy armor is much less effective now.
>Brawny and Battleforged nerfed
>it very costly build both in fielding(armors/background) and maintain(tools,injuries, upkeep)
>battleforge scale with current armor and that mean damaged heavy armor is worthless when Nimble is working all around and is great
>enemy have plenty of weapons or attacks that literally shred armor in seconds
>I also noticed that having heavy armor don't really protect from injuries compared to Nimble
Nimble offer great advantage over Heavy armor
>low entry cost and low cost to maintain
>much lower chances of injury
>much higher initiative and much bigger Fatigue pool
>always works

Current step is step in right direction but it only make medium/light armors more attractive for me at last than heavy. To the point of ditching heavy armor outside 1-2 already specced brothers.

Some proposition:
>un-nerf Battlefoged and Brawny
>make Tools and supplies cap bigger or increase tools effectiveness
Seriously after one fight I can easily spend 100-150 tools and that is not fine, its not even gold cost that is important but tools availability and carrying capacity
>add some ambition to increase it, and to increase repair speed(for armors at last), make shops offer bigger tools packs alongside the 20units stacks
Heavy armor take tons of time to repair, carrying spares take place and you need to acquire them
>make Nimble bonus grant damage reduction both to HP and Armor but smaller, either 50% Hp and 25% Armor or reverse(like 30% to Hp and 50% to armor) with some free Fatigue before start counting(like its now)
That way armor still is important and grant bonuses
>make it that lasting effect scale with HP(wounded characters have even lesser bonus)
this is questionable and I will only add it if Battleforge wasn't unnerfed

I now have heavy armored brother, some light nimble and some mixed mediums and he has higher injury rate and higher risk that rest of them.
Its not right. Just not right.

Don't get me wrong. I greatly enjoy my Nimble archers, sergeants, doublehanders, shield-bearers... Well you can slap Nimble on everyone and it still works. Heavy armor is more a burden now than help.

Last edited:

hivemind

has nimble been nerfed or not rly?

I cant rly tell, lke u get around 100more hp from armor but take some 10% dmg more afterwards, Ithink it def means you dont have to take iron brow since u can afford heavier helmets

hivemind

also does anyone see any reason to not just level up mattack, hp and resolve every level and take nimble?? by lvl 7 you are pretty much immortal to both weapons and hexes(or your run falls apart at averge lvl 5 because of ironmeme in tow with necrosavants, bandits leaders, and bounty hunters)

like all the other stats are kinda garbage other than fatigue but with nimble you dont really care that much, especially if you have a high fatigue background?

Barbarian

Arcane
also does anyone see any reason to not just level up mattack, hp and resolve every level and take nimble?? by lvl 7 you are pretty much immortal to both weapons and hexes(or your run falls apart at averge lvl 5 because of ironmeme in tow with necrosavants, bandits leaders, and bounty hunters)

like all the other stats are kinda garbage other than fatigue but with nimble you dont really care that much, especially if you have a high fatigue background?

Not really. The game is well balanced in that all stats matter. You could well build resolve-nimble-tanks or whatever you suggest, but:

- the lack of initiative will always give the enemy the advantage of moving first. It can be quite brutal. There also several nice pros to having high initiative with the right perks(dodge and overwhelm are fucking great).
- the lack of fatigue will be extremely punishing in longer fights late game, with or without armor. You will also likely have to spend a perk point in "recover".
- the lack of ranged and melee defense means you get hit more often than you should. and not all tanking in the world will save you from several hits and stacking effects(bleed, poison, overwhelm, etc), specially late game.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
rapsdjff can we please have some changes to noble houses contracts that send you to the other side of the map?

I got the contract at Erzbug, not where the company is in the screenshot.
dRkx7Oy.jpg

maybe there is at least a lot of them so I get some money for kills?
Oh
0IvRqNe.jpg

That's the worst part. It took 3 days to get there, but it wouldn't be so bad if I could get the reward at Holzschlag, instead of going back to Erzbug for another 3 days.
I0iFy5A.jpg

that fatigue
YvPlycA.jpg

This guy is super mediocre (good fatigue though) but he gets rolls like this on every level. He's got just 1 less ranged attack than the starting archer bro at the same level.
bz6pW4s.jpg

Haven't seen terrain shaped like this in a long while
xzoHofF.jpg

Two leaders in a camp on a 2-star contract early on (one was there, one from the "visiting bandit leader" event) but only 8 enemies in total so it was a very profitable fight, I only got one permanent injury.
34D2I3p.jpg

:M
Rg8vCr6.jpg

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I never noticed the Bros getting blood spatters on their faces from bleeding enemies. (Dragon Age homage?)

Is that a new feature that came with the DLC or do I need a bigger monitor?

tindrli

Arcane
so what armor is best now for nimble? what is considered medium armor? 150-200?
i have 2 bros with nimble one with 180 mail hauberk and other is 210 with reinforced MH.

CBEF9162AA96DBDD051F8D5913353CC95C5CD1DD

This armor is no longer useless! Yay!

(also I haven't found shit for archers and at this point I said fuck it. Only have starting bro - hired a poacher that got killed awhile back and never bothered to replace him)

i just got this one. 23 undead 4 fallen heroes¸. the bartender told me that his friend was robbed yesterday and that the guy who robbed him had a great armor, also he pointed north east. so i went there but instead of robbers undead... anyway. the armor is great
gmsIu3W.jpg

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Starting to get some unique drops - a 2h axe, a lightish armour (110), a shield - mostly underwhelming, but I always found the uniques I saw in shops pre-DLC to be not really worth it either. It seems to be incremental differences rather than huge upgrades. I suppose that's OK with the theme.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Starting to get some unique drops - a 2h axe, a lightish armour (110), a shield - mostly underwhelming, but I always found the uniques I saw in shops pre-DLC to be not really worth it either. It seems to be incremental differences rather than huge upgrades. I suppose that's OK with the theme.
I think uniques basically give random modifiers to certain stats. How those modifiers roll out kind of determines whether the unique is worth it or not. + damage greatsword? Awesome. + durability shield? Shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom