Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum 2 - my thoughts on how they should do it

Torin

Novice
I just recently re-installed Arcanum on my computer and started a new game (playing a melee/magic/thief character with no followers). I never solved the game but several years ago I got pretty far.

I really like Arcanum because of its interesting setting, story, character development and of course because its isometric. But it does have some major flaws. Well, here goes - here are my ideas on how they could make a better Arcanum if the ever make a sequel. By no means are my ideas necessarily 'new'; I've seen many (if not all) of them on various reviews, forums, walkthroughs, etc..

Tech and magic aptitude should no longer conflict with each other - this would allow for interesting Wizard/Inventor characters. Thats what I wanted to play as when the game was announced. No more 'magic negates tech or tech negates magic'. This could be part of the plot line - magic and tech now coexist with each other without counteracting each other (kind of like the book 'On a Pale Horse'). You can still have a magic apptitude based on race and spells but it should not be lowered by having tech skills. Have items that have both 'technological' and 'magical' properties (these would be very rare or high level 'crafted' items).

Get rid of some of the attributes - dump Perception and Willpower. Possibly Beauty as well (Charisma can be assumed to include looks and personality). Base Firearms skill off of Dexterity. Base Magic Spells off of Intelligence. Base all thieving skills of off Dexterity. Base melee off of Strength and Dexterity (so it takes more points to devellop melee). Base spell points off of Intelligence (Stamina is no longer used for spells). Dexterity should not have such a radical effect on speed - instead of a 1 for 1 ratio have a sliding scale (Dex 8 = 8 AP's, Dex 20 = 14 AP's). Dexterity is already so much more important than other attributes. The same thing should be done for Charisma and # of followers; rather than a high Charisma letting you have so many followers let it influence getting better followers to a higher degree. Strength should no longer affect hit points.

Experience should be based solely on kills and quests and not on 'hits' in combat.

Use the combat mechanics of TOEE. Balance ranged and melee combat - combat should start at further distances; movement should be slower in combat than Arcanum 1 so that you can get off several shots before enemies close to melee.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Tech and magic aptitude should no longer conflict with each other - this would allow for interesting Wizard/Inventor characters. Thats what I wanted to play as when the game was announced. No more 'magic negates tech or tech negates magic'. This could be part of the plot line - magic and tech now coexist with each other without counteracting each other (kind of like the book 'On a Pale Horse'). You can still have a magic apptitude based on race and spells but it should not be lowered by having tech skills. Have items that have both 'technological' and 'magical' properties (these would be very rare or high level 'crafted' items).
Then I'm afraid you've misunderstood a large part of what Arcanum was about and how it was special. Though tecnomagic had been around for a while, it was'nt anything like Arcanum's world, where the two forces coexsisted yet where in constant opposition.

Get rid of some of the attributes - dump Perception and Willpower. Possibly Beauty as well (Charisma can be assumed to include looks and personality). Base Firearms skill off of Dexterity. Base Magic Spells off of Intelligence. Base all thieving skills of off Dexterity.
1) Why perception and willpower? These are two big powerful stats, I'd say Willpower is up there with charisma in terms of importance, at least for my characters.
2) Beauty, however, should go. Maybe make it some kind of charisma based skill?
3) Mix of dexterity and perception would be good-make perception important for repair skill
Base melee off of Strength and Dexterity (so it takes more points to devellop melee).
Why? Maybe certain meele wepons could be based on dex (say a fence), but I don't know why a two handed behemoth would depend so much on dexterity.

Experience should be based solely on kills and quests and not on 'hits' in combat.
I kind of like that system-therefore, if the fighting breaks down and one person runs away or starts a conversation, you still get XP

suibhne

Erudite
Torin said:
Tech and magic aptitude should no longer conflict with each other - this would allow for interesting Wizard/Inventor characters. Thats what I wanted to play as when the game was announced.

You're asking for a radical change to the entire setting, for Arcanum to not be Arcanum. It sounds to me like your ideal setting simply hasn't been invented yet; in the meantime, keep your goddamn chocolate away from my peanut butter. :shock:

Get rid of some of the attributes - dump Perception and Willpower. Possibly Beauty as well (Charisma can be assumed to include looks and personality). Base Firearms skill off of Dexterity. Base Magic Spells off of Intelligence. Base all thieving skills of off Dexterity. Base melee off of Strength and Dexterity (so it takes more points to devellop melee). Base spell points off of Intelligence (Stamina is no longer used for spells). Dexterity should not have such a radical effect on speed - instead of a 1 for 1 ratio have a sliding scale (Dex 8 = 8 AP's, Dex 20 = 14 AP's). Dexterity is already so much more important than other attributes. The same thing should be done for Charisma and # of followers; rather than a high Charisma letting you have so many followers let it influence getting better followers to a higher degree. Strength should no longer affect hit points.

I think you partly ignore the logic of the attributes in Arcanum. Firearms require little manual dexterity compared to swordplay, for example; their use relies more on hand-eye coordination and targeting than on actual, brute physical dexterity. Because of this, I think it makes perfect sense for the Firearms skill to rely on PE rather than DX. Similarly with WP: in Arcanum, magic is conceived of somewhat differently than standard D&D, and I think it makes great sense for WP to affect magic while IN affects many skills and conversation options.

On the other hand, I really like your suggestions about a scale of diminishing returns for higher DX and a different scale for followers under CH.

I'm up in the air on this. Maybe, instead, we should have different kinds of XP awarded. I think it makes a lot of sense to earn XP for actual results in battle, earning more for successful hits than for failures; on the other hand, a major problem with traditional RPGs is that you can improve your combat skills as a result of XP earned in entirely non-combat ways (or vice versa), and this is particularly egregious in Arcanum because of the "hit" XP awards. Perhaps the Arcanum character system could be simplified in some ways, in order to allow greater complexity of experience gains: combat XP could be reserved for improving combat skills, while "social" XP could increase those skills but not combat, etc. Quest XP, if it's awarded at all, could be more general.

Use the combat mechanics of TOEE. Balance ranged and melee combat - combat should start at further distances; movement should be slower in combat than Arcanum 1 so that you can get off several shots before enemies close to melee.

I suspect this would happen automatically in any newer game, simply as a function of higher resolutions. But yes, I absolutely agree. And get rid of RT combat entirely, focusing instead on the same tactical TB goodness that was in ToEE.

Torin

Novice
Then I'm afraid you've misunderstood a large part of what Arcanum was about and how it was special. Though tecnomagic had been around for a while, it was'nt anything like Arcanum's world, where the two forces coexsisted yet where in constant opposition.

I understood what the designers where doing with Arcanum in regards to the conflict between magic vs. tech. I just would have prefferred a setting where learning lockpicks, firearms or technical inventions would not have lowered your magical aptitude. By having to spend points for spells or inventions you are already limited enough. Think about it - its almost like making a characters Persuasion skill go down because they put a point in Melee.

1) Why perception and willpower? These are two big powerful stats, I'd say Willpower is up there with charisma in terms of importance, at least for my characters.
2) Beauty, however, should go. Maybe make it some kind of charisma based skill?
3) Mix of dexterity and perception would be good-make perception important for repair skill

Getting rid of Perception and Willpower (and allocating their influence to other attributes) makes it more practical to pursue a tech/firearms character or magic/tech character (vs just having a melee killer)

Why? Maybe certain meele wepons could be based on dex (say a fence), but I don't know why a two handed behemoth would depend so much on dexterity.

Its not about total realism. Also - Strength does have a role in hand to hand/melee weapon combat. Melee is overpowred in Arcanum and by making you have to work on two attributes it would limit it somewhat.

I kind of like that system-therefore, if the fighting breaks down and one person runs away or starts a conversation, you still get XP

The XP for hits in combat greatly handicaps players who rely on followers/pets to do combat. I don't think its that big of a deal if you lose some XP on enemies who manage to escape (I've never let anyone escape!)

You're asking for a radical change to the entire setting, for Arcanum to not be Arcanum. It sounds to me like your ideal setting simply hasn't been invented yet; in the meantime, keep your goddamn chocolate away from my peanut butter.

Actually - I would propose some major world change that would end the 'negation' effect of tech/magic aptitude; it could be a central part of the story. I never finished Arcanum so I may be missing out on a plot point from mid-late game. Anyway - I just think it would be more fun to have the option of playing an effective tech/magic character.

I think you partly ignore the logic of the attributes in Arcanum. Firearms require little manual dexterity compared to swordplay, for example; their use relies more on hand-eye coordination and targeting than on actual, brute physical dexterity. Because of this, I think it makes perfect sense for the Firearms skill to rely on PE rather than DX. Similarly with WP: in Arcanum, magic is conceived of somewhat differently than standard D&D, and I think it makes great sense for WP to affect magic while IN affects many skills and conversation options.

Once again - its not so much about realism as it is about balancing the game. When you go melee you gain a huge advantage because as you increase Dex you get more action points. The tradeoff when compared to Perception/Firearms is too much. I think Dexterity also encompasses hand/eye coordination so it would make sense that it govern firearms somewhat.

A couple of things to add -
Some skills will be tied in to two attributes; a major and a minor. So to have Level 3 in Melee you would need 12 Agility (Major) and 9 Strength (Minor). Not all; just some (like Melee) that might get overpowred with just one limiting attribute.

Have a new attribuite - Agility - Agility determines Action Points and not Dexterity. Like TOEE/D&D all characters have a fixed movement rate based on race and perks. Action Points determine how many actions (other than movement) a player can make. Maybe really high and really low Agility scores will have some influence on the movement rate. Make Agility the major attribute for Melee, Prowl and Dodge.

Have perks like Fallout.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
I agree with the previous posts on tech vs. magick. I think it's one of the most interesting game-premises ever.

Torin said:
Get rid of some of the attributes - dump Perception and Willpower.

Perception is a stat accounting for your senses, be it seeing, smelling, hearing, touching, tasting. Spotting traps, treasure and enemies in hiding are all perfectly suited for Perception. In addition to what suibhne said, Willpower also affects fatigue, and fatigue is what you use to cast spells, as opposed to the often used, Intelligence-based, mana. It all fits rather nicely. I can't say i approve of the idea of removing stats from the game, just to balance combat or make certain character builds more practical.

Possibly (remove) Beauty as well
Beauty as a stat named Beauty maybe, but i like to think of it as a general "presence" sort of stat. Sure, it could be integrated into Charisma, but that stat is useful enough as it is. And i'm not talking about someone being convincing or good at lieing, but rather someone who automatically demands peoples' attention just by being there. Beauty in Arcanum improves NPCs' reaction towards you, and that's really the meat of what presence is. In Fallout, presence is a perk if memory serves. Anyway, in summation, i like what the Beauty stat does, it's just the name of it that's a bit... superficial.

Dexterity should not have such a radical effect on speed.
Agreed. Or rather, speed should not have such a radical effect on action points. With melee'ers already being overpowered, having the ability to close in and swing a sword 6 times is too much action in one round. But i think the combat system in a possible sequel would be almost a total redo, hopefully centered around combat being turn-based.

suibhne said:
Perhaps the Arcanum character system could be simplified in some ways, in order to allow greater complexity of experience gains: combat XP could be reserved for improving combat skills, while "social" XP could increase those skills but not combat, etc. Quest XP, if it's awarded at all, could be more general.

I remember this being brought up for Fallout as well, what with killing rats=master scientist, or shooting with small guns=better at big guns. Truthfully, i like it better being completely non-restrictive. This is because Arcanum and Fallout are both class-less games, where stats and skills shape the character completely, and there's only one level to improve. Consider D&D-like games where you advance in different levels, ie mage, fighter, thief, and the reward (skill points, feats, spells) you get at level-up is restricted to whatever class(es) you've chosen. It's impossible to improve anything that isn't allowed for your class, making character development largely linear and unsurprising. Having xp for different skill groups doesn't sound that far off from basic class-like restrictions.

I believe being able to use xp gained from combat, on non-combat skills is a good thing, simply because it make the character development so free. And even so, in Arcanum, you still had to increase the corresponding stats in order to improve your skills. Plus, like Fallout, most of the stats were included in various checks and calculations all through the game, so recklessly improving your skills wouldn't do much good unless you had the stats nailed.

And after alll, most people tend to make their own restrictions as they play along. Whether you decide to play a persuasive ladies' man, a dumb strong ogre, or a crafty tech buff, you've sort of voluntarily chosen a class. Voluntarily, because your definition of a dwarven technologist is probably a lot different than my definition, as well as everyone else's own interpretation of their favorite "class".

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I would change nothing in Arcanums RPG system [character creation]. Instead, I would raise jmore quests that require specific states. Like, if you have Beauty high enough, you can get stuart's job on steam-ship, for example, while others have to find their own ways. Plus, include some features that positively affects people with high Beauty [or other specific variable]. Removing something would not be solution, better more than less.
EXP gaining system, however, is to be changed - it is not good that in the end of the game I have 50th level and cannot raise it anymore. And I dont like the idea of uber-character walking around what precisely was my experience with Arcanum later in the game. Sure thing, in the Fallout you too became a walking death-machine in the end, but meantime my char could be killed in a battle by Masters Army remnants even after defeating (twice) BigBadBoss.
I would suggest slower advancement on levels and even more stats to invest skill points in order to keep the balance. Maybe more technological/magickal schemes to learn, maybe some additional perks that could be bought for certain amount of skill points.

The setting, though, is very good and this kept me to the game. I just hate fantasy and it was damned pleasure to play game just about magicks and tecnics conflict. Really liked that idea. Learning tech and magick the same time would spoil the philosophical background, even if it was interesting from character creation viewpoint. It is very nice the devs chose such setting and I see nothing to change about it.

Quests where nice, but what I would like to modificate, would be the story. I mean, the way its been told. - You receive the One Ring and go to deliver. Then you learn tremendous truth and have to go somewherre where you learn other things and so all the time. Take Fallouts storyline instead. It was quite free and did not include some articial, deus-ex-machine type of story turns. Maybe they should have done Arcanum more non-linear, allowing, eg, not to deliver the ring to that man, but ..i dunno..go another way and encounter somebody else, who has its one viewpoint and truth about the whole story. And you should continue your game allready in other branch of storyline. That would please me.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The first thing I would change is removing the ability to "Easily" raise attributes like Strength, Dexerity, etc. That's one thing that totally screws Arcanum's character system right there.

I hated the fact you only had one point to spend every time you levelled up.

It didn't make you feel like levelling up was as much an event as in other games, I know thats a stupid complaint but who the hell asked you anyway :P .

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
StraitLacedDeviant said:
I hated the fact you only had one point to spend every time you levelled up.

You got two points every 5th level.

Anyways, if I was going to change anything about Arcanum it would be the following:
  • Add a non-combat AI ala Gothic to have NPCs performing daily tasks.
  • Go with a more skill-based level-less approach. The more you swing a sword the better your sword-swinging gets. The more you craft swords, the more swords you can craft.
  • Enhance the crafting system to make it more challenging and rewarding.
  • Some minor UI improvements that would make things like trading between party members work a little quicker.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
fnordcircle said:
Go with a more skill-based level-less approach. The more you swing a sword the better your sword-swinging gets. The more you craft swords, the more swords you can craft.

Argh, horrible memories from Morrowind comes back to haunt me.

Character development like that really makes me feel ripped off, since the amount of actual development you get to do yourself is so miniscule. It's hard to justify improving skill through use, since some skills are just used vastly more than others. And even so, improving lockpicking skills through use requires a fair amount of locks you can pick. Same with spotting traps, or repairing items. You'd have to scale the improvement, so like 50 sword swings=5 locks picked, and i think it'll just be hard to balance properly. As for the alternate route of NPCs training you, well, it was fortunately not very prominent in Arcanum, since those improvements just provided a few Fallout-like perks.

One of my favorite things about Arcanum was starting the game and trying to decide how to spend my initial points. With an improve-through-use system, i wouldn't be able to do that.

My idea is to have skills with several numeric values, as opposed to the one they all have now. Have skills where 3 values are used, and an average value is used to determine your actual skill level, employing various importance-percentages for each of the 3 values. Such as, improvement through use accounts for 30% of the overall skill level, improvement through levelling up and distributing skill points accounts for 50%, and improvement through NPC training accounts for 20%. That way, you'd never have too big skills, because half of the skill would be level dependant, and it'd ensure you can't just get ridiculous skills through the use of NPCs, but you can still improve the skill enough to be useful, so you can improve it through use. Stats wouldn't be as restrictive, but still have an impact on skills. They may be a fourth skill-variable.

Heh, not completely thought through though... Try saying the last three words REALLY fast :)

Sammael

Liturgist
I agree with Saint. Increasing base attributes should be significantly more difficult (for example, the d20 method of increasing an attribute by +1 every four levels is not bad as far as power goes, but becomes problematic with other in-game ways to increase attributes).

Beauty should be abolished, perhaps replaced by a trait.

1 point per level is, simply put, insufficient. Learning difficulty and character power limitations should be handled differently. I am also opposed to strict "requires level XY character" systems.

Tech should be made more plausible as far as power level goes. Tech characters, while fun to play, were at a disandantage to magic users.
Component-based item creation was a good idea gone horribly wrong. Honestly, who could have kept the tabs on the bazillion components, particularly when coupled with awkward inventory management and the fact your components had an uncanny tendency to pick up discarded items.

The world, as written, is fine and shouldn't be changed much, nor should the timeline be advanced.

CNPCs need more memorable personalities and greatly improved AI.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
fnordcircle said:
Anyways, if I was going to change anything about Arcanum it would be the following:
  • Add a non-combat AI ala Gothic to have NPCs performing daily tasks.

• They already have some, but perhaps they should have more.

Though AI, overal, should be much more tweaked.

[*]Go with a more skill-based level-less approach. The more you swing a sword the better your sword-swinging gets. The more you craft swords, the more swords you can craft.

I don't think an increase by use system would be the best thing to include. However i would do some changes, starting with:

*Beauty scrapped. Perhaps replace it with something like Luck.
    *Instead of 5 skill levels, have 10 levels for each skill.
    *Two CPs per level, possibly three at every five levels.
    *Bow, Throwing and Firearms grouped into a single skill, Ranged.
    *Probably remove Constitution and instead have Willpower determine spell, damage, and poison resistance, as well as HP and Fatigue bonuses per level (i'm funny that way).

[*]Enhance the crafting system to make it more challenging and rewarding.

I think every technological item that one can craft should require three different items, instead of two. Mages should also be able to craft items, but because of magic being somewhat more powerful, they would need special crafting materials that were harder to come by. Also make it so the spell they want to enchant/craft an item with needs to be learned.

[*]Some minor UI improvements that would make things like trading between party members work a little quicker.

Aye.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Role-Player said:
I don't think an increase by use system would be the best thing to include.

I'll admit I have a hard-on for those sort of systems because my favorite game in the world, a skill-based RPI mud ([plug]http://www.armageddon.org[/plug]) uses that sort of system. I hate levelling systems because I don't feel like I'm really shaping my character.

Why should making a courier delivery for Tim the Wizard have any effect on how well I pick locks or how charismatic I am?

*Beauty scrapped. Perhaps replace it with something like Luck.

It is odd to me to include Beauty and Charisma at the same time. The logic follows that there should be both Constitution and Pain Tolerance, Intelligence and Common Sense, Dexterity and Hand/Eye coordination, etc, etc.

*Instead of 5 skill levels, have 10 levels for each skill.
*Two CPs per level, possibly three at every five levels.

Would you also increase attribute requirements for different skill levels or leave them as they are?

*Bow, Throwing and Firearms grouped into a single skill, Ranged.

That doesn't make sense to me. In real life being skilled at one of those does not make you skilled at the others. I'd rather see Firearms hit more often at close range to balance out the fact that you can go through bullets like there is no tomorrow.

*Probably remove Constitution and instead have Willpower determine spell, damage, and poison resistance, as well as HP and Fatigue bonuses per level (i'm funny that way).

You lost me.

I think every technological item that one can craft should require three different items, instead of two.

As long as one of those items was actual tools to do the work.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
fnordcircle said:
I'll admit I have a hard-on for those sort of systems because my favorite game in the world, a skill-based RPI mud ([plug]http://www.armageddon.org[/plug]) uses that sort of system. I hate levelling systems because I don't feel like I'm really shaping my character.

Why should making a courier delivery for Tim the Wizard have any effect on how well I pick locks or how charismatic I am?

I understand you point, but i think it depends on how the system is built. I disliked Morrowind's system, but that isn't to say an increase by use system can't be done right. By contrast i think level-based systems are usually more contained and more strict, but that isn't to say that something like skills must be static and dependant of each level up.

Probably the best system would be the one that had different methods for the growth of each skill. Currently toying around with the Prelude to Darkness demo, i am in the process of evaluating my preferences, though.

It is odd to me to include Beauty and Charisma at the same time. The logic follows that there should be both Constitution and Pain Tolerance, Intelligence and Common Sense, Dexterity and Hand/Eye coordination, etc, etc.

While you have a point there, i think it would be best if some concepts remained undivided (for instance, i don't think Intelligence and Common Sense should be separated, they would likely be better used if those concepts belonged to a single statistic).

Would you also increase attribute requirements for different skill levels or leave them as they are?

Possibly increase them. Possibly.

That doesn't make sense to me. In real life being skilled at one of those does not make you skilled at the others.

While you have a point there, real life (or realism) is not something i usually take into account when considering game mechanics. The intention behind the suggestion was to gather the skills into something that could be better defined. One handed swords, two handed swords, and axes all need different levels of skill; but in the game, they all fall under the same category. You could say that Bows and Firearms have different requirements in real life, but in the game, what do you need? Strenght, Dexterity and Perception, for either group. If two groups need the same statistics to be used properly, and basically have the same intention, then why not place them in the same group?

At best, you could tell me that Throwing did not fit into the group... although it would likely still operate under the same statistics.

I'd rather see Firearms hit more often at close range to balance out the fact that you can go through bullets like there is no tomorrow.

Actually, i think that could work.

You lost me.

Just suggested that perhaps Willpower should take over the role of Constitution for most of the elements it handles.

As long as one of those items was actual tools to do the work.

I wasn't considering tools to do the job, though nothing prevents that from being included. Maybe different tools for different fields of technology?

atoga

Novice
^_____^ ^_________^ ^__^ ^_________^ ^_____^ ^____
Since the era would probably be later (unless they want to do a prequel, barf) I would like to see far more advanced tech (level stuff) - vehicles like planes, cars (really simple ones, of course), advanced firearms (gatling guns perhaps?). Magic would stay pretty much the same, though, in order to balance it out with tech a bit more.

What else? I'd kill off 90% of the boring dungeon crawling for running around talking to people in towns and other atmosphere stuff. I'd also add more puzzles and the like - there could be drastically different puzzles for magic or tech characters (magic would probably be more abstract, whereas tech would be based upon putting things together and basic logic).

Finally, I'd revise the godawful game system (SPECIAL would be fine). And I'd make it a little more lethal by upping weapon damage, in order to make up for decreased combat and the removal of mindless dungeon crawls.

My thoughts: this time, finish the artwork instead of shipping with your placeholder art still in the game.

no, I'm not making that up just to stir the pot.

RGE

Liturgist
I agree with Atoga's first two paragraphs (definitely want to see more guns*), but not the last one, because I really liked Arcanum's game system. It still needs a few tweaks though. I didn't like the arbitrary items you could build at various technological levels. Also felt a bit pointless when you could find the stuff in the gameworld instead of building it yourself.

* So yeah, I want to see more guns in Arcanum, but less guns in Fallout. Perhaps I just like to feel contrary, eh? ;)

A good idea would probably be to either increase the AP cost of moving and attacking etc, or cut the APs down by half. And I don't remember how DX affected APs, but if it was DX = AP (with +5 AP bonus for DX 20), then it should be changed to half DX + 10 = AP, just like SPECIAL gives 5 AP + half AG. Having some people being twice as fast just because they have twice as high DX is too high difference in my book.

Another idea would be to use the kind of turnbased system that MOO used (well, one of the MOO games, could've been a sequel), where each action takes a certain amount of time to perform, and when that time has passed you get to go again, making it more like continously paused real time. If sticking to real time, I'd like to see slower pace, like Arcanum's version of bullet time.

For whoever thought that meleers didn't have enough incentive to build strength, I wonder if that juicy doubled damage bonus when hitting strength 20 wasn't enough, and in fact a bit on the gratitious side. Powergamers go for maximum anyway - do we really need extra bonuses for reaching max attribute values for all those attributes?

I'd also like to see a much different engine, such as a 3D one like NWN. Last time I took a look at Arcanum I was seriously turned off by the awkward movements of my characters. So, new engine with smoother movements and cool looking avatars. Maybe different music as well. I don't remember disliking Arcanum's music, but it was a bit on the sleepy side. All of this didn't matter that much considering the RP qualities, but it's definitely the area that needs the most improvement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom