Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mazisky

Magister
Altought Safav Hamon is overexagerating about Deadfire goodness (the game is ok but not a masterpiece), he is right when he says that codex hates the game regardless.

Face reality.

Better be honest but unpopular than following a trend only to be "virtually" accepted by a bunch of nerds.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
...the game is ok but not a masterpiece...

I had the impression that this is exactly the general opinion of the Codex for Deadfire.

On the topic:
Yes, Nakatuki was quite impressive, especially when you compare it to Defiance Bay in PoE 1, which is a contender for the title "least impressive city in a RPG".

Personally I have very fond memories of Riva from "Shadows over Riva".

Edit:
People played BG2 30 years ago and their memory deceives them...

What??

Lord Andre

Arcane
My post was about the most impressive city, and you are all talking about what's the best city.

New Reno and Tarant are cool, but there's nothing impressive about them from a technological or design perspective.

Neketaka has hundreds of NPCs, 60 different areas, a functioning day & night cycle, several joinable factions, and dozens of random events. No other city comes close to that level of scope and intricacy.

Who gives 2 shits how impressive it is? Temple of Elemental Evil had the most impressive implementation of D&D combat ever and it was complete shit because they basically threw the Monster's Manual in the trash and instead used a lobotomized monkey to design encounters.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
People played BG2 30 years ago and their memory deceives them...

Speak for yourself.

I completed BG1 and 2 for fhe first time in 2016. And while I played big parts of BG1 in the past, 2 was completely fresh for me. It was my "virgin" run, so to say. Thus, I have no nostalgia for those titles. I am simply very satisfied with their quality here and now.

Granted, as cities go, I preferred Baldur's Gate. It felt more as a real city than a collection of separated zones of different flavor. But Athkatla is still there, among the greatest.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Safav Hermon is an AI that was created by Josh Sawyer and sent here to cause destruction and wreak as much havoc as possible.

How do you beat this highly advanced robot? Proving it wrong is useless, it has been programmed to ignore logic and facts (hence why it enjoys Deadfire) and will continue on its crusade. The only solution I can think of is to fight a rogue Obsidian robot with the RPG Codex's very own robot.

Infinitron is the only one that can save us now. At long last, we have the spiritual successor to the T-850 vs. T-1000.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Altought Safav Hamon is overexagerating about Deadfire goodness (the game is ok but not a masterpiece), he is right when he says that codex hates the game regardless.

Face reality.

Better be honest but unpopular than following a trend only to be "virtually" accepted by a bunch of nerds.
Overthinking it. I found POE to be blergh (never heard of the codex at this point), so I won't be buying POE2 untill the "complete edition" is on sale for 20 bucks max. In the meantime I'll keep shitting on POE. A bad taste doesn't wash away very easily if the next thing seems to be more of the same.

DemonKing

Arcane
Playing a game that was made less than 20 years ago, 30 years ago... that must be some real dedication.

Dude probably went back in time and impregnated his own grandmother already so the paradox you mention is small fry to him.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Cyberpunk 2077 takes place in Night City, a fictional metropolis in Northern California. The city is, by all accounts, massive. It features six districts with no loading screens between them. To help you get around, there are vehicles you can drive in either first or third person.

Where is your Sawyer god now?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Large+Snake+Plant.jpg
?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
There are reputation checks in PoE1 as well, allowing you to bypass certain things or get stuff for free

There's only 20 something. Compared to 350.

Get out those statistics for Athkatla to see whose is bigger. Keep in mind that fewer districts doesn't mean it's smaller

Athkatla Random Events: 1 (and it repeats itself over and over)
Neketaka Random Events: 20+

Athkatla factions with reputation: 0
Neketaka factions with reputation: 7

Athkatla NPCs with schedules: 0
Neketaka NPCs with schedules: > 40

You also wont find any sidequests in Athkatla with the complexity of Arkemyrs Manor or Family Pride.

the districts are much bigger in Athkatla.

No, they're not. I replayed Baldurs Gate 2 right after Deadfire, and they only feel bigger because you can't run, fast travel, or speed up time.

What are you talking about? There are plenty "random events" in athkatla but most of them occur in the street and are dependent on factors like story progression and time of day.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
Great cities in RPGs in my opinion:
- Baldur's Gate (Baldurs's Gate)
- Athkatla (Baldur's Gate 2)
- Sigil (Planescape Torment)
- Tarant (Arcanum)
- New Reno (Fallout 2 and Fallout of Nevada)
- Wyzima (Witcher 1)
- Novigrad (Witcher 3)
- Betancuria (A Dance with Rogues Part 1)

Good cities in RPGs:
- Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall)
- Vault City (Fallout 2)
- Khorinis (Gothic 2)
- Defiance Bay (Pillars of Eternity)
- Domed City (Elex)
- Midgar (Final Fantasy 7)
- Berlin (Shadowrun: Dragonfall)
- Dernholm (Arcanum)
- Neverwinter (Neverwinter NIghts 2)

Still have to play PoE2. I doubt it can beat the greatest urbanistic pearls of RPGs, but I like to be pleasantly surprised.

Not sure how anyone could rate Novigrad over Khorinis.
Its just because he is Lord Potato:outrage:

And Gothic is a german game.

If it wasnt for his patriotic duties i am sure he would favor Khorinis.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik

BTW, she is a liar who just infected her leg wounds with her own shit.

Bocian

Arcane
Cyberpunk 2077 takes place in Night City, a fictional metropolis in Northern California. The city is, by all accounts, massive. It features six districts with no loading screens between them. To help you get around, there are vehicles you can drive in either first or third person.

Where is your Sawyer god now?
It'll be shit.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
- Tarant (Arcanum)
- Wyzima (Witcher 1)
- Novigrad (Witcher 3)

Good cities in RPGs:
- Vault City (Fallout 2)
- Khorinis (Gothic 2)
- Domed City (Elex)
- Dernholm (Arcanum)

Still have to play PoE2. I doubt it can beat the greatest urbanistic pearls of RPGs, but I like to be pleasantly surprised.

Well, Gothic series has a lot of fanatics among my fellow potatos. Propably our Gothic fanclub is second only to the German one. It's just I came late to the party. If I started playing those games in early 2000s, I might have became a true believer.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
- Tarant (Arcanum)
- Wyzima (Witcher 1)
- Novigrad (Witcher 3)

Good cities in RPGs:
- Vault City (Fallout 2)
- Khorinis (Gothic 2)
- Domed City (Elex)
- Dernholm (Arcanum)

Well, Gothic series has a lot of fanatics among my fellow potatos. Propably our Gothic fanclub is second only to the German one. It's just I came late to the party. If I started playing those games in early 2000s, I might have became a true believer.

As a potato surrounded by bratwurst i can confirm.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I don't get all the hate for Deadfire - other than that a lot of BG fanboys were disappointed by POE1 and now think that "everything Pillars is shit".

In my opinion, Deadfire is the best game this year. Don't know if Kingmaker comes close, just started playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom