Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Holdfast: Nations at War

the_1990

Educated
Figured there should be a special thread for the biggest meme game of the past couple of years. Holdfast is a first/third-person multiplayer game set in the Napoleonic Wars, the game manages to combine the mechanics of musket warfare with a fun, casual experience. The voip makes for tons of meme gameplay.

The game actually has a lot of content now, a whole bunch of maps, multiple classes, 3 factions, artillery, six game modes (3 land-based, 2 sea-based, 1 competitive melee arena) and more.

I you haven't picked it up already, do so, if you have you can enthuse about your experiences in this thread. Anyway, here's the link to the store page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/589290/Holdfast_Nations_At_War/

Bocian

Arcane
I don't see the appeal of this game, frankly. Napoleonic period's warfare is all about discipline - large formations, strict command, use of combined arms (infantry, cavalry, artillery), and this is hardly achieved in a typical multiplayer game with retards running loose, unless it's a moderated linebattle event with apes kept in line. If you want a third person Napoleonic game, buy Warband (it's on sale) with Napoleonic Wars mod DLC. It has a squad leader mode, where you command an actual formation of bots and fight other formations, can make volleys, have artillery detachment and actually communicate with other commanders so a semblance of order and organization is achieved. It's clunky, but fun, and actually has working melee contrary to holdfast.

the_1990

Educated
I don't see the appeal of this game, frankly. Napoleonic period's warfare is all about discipline - large formations, strict command, use of combined arms (infantry, cavalry, artillery), and this is hardly achieved in a typical multiplayer game with retards running loose, unless it's a moderated linebattle event with apes kept in line. If you want a third person Napoleonic game, buy Warband (it's on sale) with Napoleonic Wars mod DLC. It has a squad leader mode, where you command an actual formation of bots and fight other formations, can make volleys, have artillery detachment and actually communicate with other commanders so a semblance of order and organization is achieved. It's clunky, but fun, and actually has working melee contrary to holdfast.

You need to play Holdfast for the memes.

Tigranes

Arcane

Game looks potentially fun at brief glance, but that sounds retarded

Beastro

Arcane
Holdfast is a first/third-person multiplayer game set in the Napoleonic Wars, the game manages to combine the mechanics of musket warfare with a fun, casual experience......................................................................................

.......................................nope.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't see the appeal of this game, frankly. Napoleonic period's warfare is all about discipline - large formations, strict command, use of combined arms (infantry, cavalry, artillery), and this is hardly achieved in a typical multiplayer game with retards running loose, unless it's a moderated linebattle event with apes kept in line.
This game does have that, I've seen. Heavily moderated armies with role-playing commanders who do big speeches in exaggerated accents. People who purposefully go out of line are shot on sight by drummers, lol.

Beastro

Arcane
I don't see the appeal of this game, frankly. Napoleonic period's warfare is all about discipline - large formations, strict command, use of combined arms (infantry, cavalry, artillery), and this is hardly achieved in a typical multiplayer game with retards running loose, unless it's a moderated linebattle event with apes kept in line.
This game does have that, I've seen. Heavily moderated armies with role-playing commanders who do big speeches in exaggerated accents. People who purposefully go out of line are shot on sight by drummers, lol.

Sounds more like Warhammer 40K Simulator.

the_1990

Educated

Game looks potentially fun at brief glance, but that sounds retarded

You should check out the community videos I posted, get an idea of what I mean.

Tigranes

Arcane
Your words were so terrifying that they put me off spending time to watch videos. I'm not playing games for memes, am I some sort of neo-Chinese meme farmer

the_1990

Educated
Your words were so terrifying that they put me off spending time to watch videos. I'm not playing games for memes, am I some sort of neo-Chinese meme farmer

If you watch one at least let it be this one:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I love the nap dlc for m and b so figured id give this a try, several impressions i had in my tryout:

-melee feels weird, but ill give it the benefit of the doubt as im prob just way too used to nap
-rifles feel a LOT more accurate then they were in nap, some people were practically snipers and i felt that if i had good vision on a target then they were guaranteed kills, i miss naps rng even if it meant id miss a dude almost point blank, clearly the shooting has been casualized to hell and getting long range kills aint the achievement it is in nap
-no character customization so cant play chicks or black people, tis a shame as i got way too much fun from playing a proud british white chick chased by hordes of angry black german natives. Ah but its for historical accuracy? Yeah about that...
-voip kills it. My god people just wont stfu and keep spamming every random thought that goes into their head or blast some trendy hip hop music, it was more distracting then any amount of female coldstream guards. Lets not forget the squeakers, just eugh , its not cod levels but still jarring
-by the same token i dont care much for trendy meme spamming, if i wanted that id go on plebbit
-no cavalry made me sad, if engineers, or carpenters as they are called here can build field fortifications i couldnt figure it out

On the bright side the game is pretty and unlike nap which usually only has the minisiege server with decent pop size, steadfast has multiple servers with full 150 pop. For that reason alone ill keep it around an alternative to nap and in way its fascinating to compare and contrast the 2 games. Despite focusing on what irked me i still had fun.

Last edited:

the_1990

Educated
-melee feels weird, but ill give it the benefit of the doubt as im prob just way too used to nap

Melee is controversial, it is heavily based on momentum. Here are a few tips:
  • Never walk bacwards or to the side during melee, otherwise your opponent will one-shot you. Keep going forward, think of melee as making an attack-run on the death-star trench, and your opponent is the exhaust port.
  • Drag the mouse as you click the attack button to determine the angle of attack. If you drag it upwards your character will raise his weapon up, this is good for striking over the top of walls or at and opponents head. If you drag it down, he will hold it low. Same with blocking.
  • Don't bother with blocking unless you have good reflexes. The direction you block needs to be right to deflect an attack, and blocking is determined by the same method I mentioned above. Personally if you miss a hit I recomend breaking off your attack and coming around for another run.
  • Time your clicks. Remember that the animation takes time to play, if you click once your charcter will do a wind-up before thrusting his bayonet, if you hold the button down and release it it will be shorter. Just keep in mind that there will be a gap between when your character deals damage and when you actualy click/release the mouse button, and this can throw a lot of people off and make the melee feel unresponsive.
  • Don't expect good results if you have bad Ping.
-rifles feel a LOT more accurate then they were in nap, some people were practically snipers and i felt that if i had good vision on a target then they were guaranteed kills, i miss naps rng even if it meant id miss a dude almost point blank, clearly the shooting has been casualized to hell and getting long range kills aint the achievement it is in nap

Yes, they are very accurate, that is why there are only six of them availible for each faction. If you are able to load into a match fast enough I recomend getting a Rifleman spot as soon as you do.

-no character customization so cant play chicks or black people, tis a shame as i got way too much fun from playing a proud british white chick chased by hordes of angry black german natives. Ah but its for historical accuracy? Yeah about that...

That's probaby the tradeoff for good graphics. Having 150 people running around the game with individually customized models would probably be a bit much for the servers to handle.

-voip kills it. My god people just wont stfu and keep spamming every random thought that goes into their head or blast some trendy hip hop music, it was more distracting then any amount of female coldstream guards. Lets not forget the squeakers, just eugh , its not cod levels but still jarring

Hopefully you will run into some of the more funny players, like Chad.

-by the same token i dont care much for trendy meme spamming, if i wanted that id go on plebbit

Big oof

-no cavalry made me sad, if engineers, or carpenters as they are called here can build field fortifications i couldnt figure it out

The next big update is going to add a Sapper class to land battles, while the carpenter will become naval-only. The Sapper will be able to build defences (and chairs) along with repairing artillery:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/589290/announcements/detail/1699444970718843381

Cavalry is on the roadmap:

http://www.holdfastgame.com/News/Post?p=1027

On the bright side the game is pretty and unlike nap which usually only has the minisiege server with decent pop size, steadfast has multiple servers with full 150 pop. For that reason alone ill keep it around an alternative to nap and in way its fascinating to compare and contrast the 2 games. Despite focusing on what irked me i still had fun.

After the last update Holdfast had to temporarily remove/restrict 2 gamemodes due to a bug. Naval Battlefield and Coastal Siege are two 70+ player game modes, the first involves two fleets for each team trying to sink each other, the second is when one team defends a fort on land against an attacking team that spawns in ships.

They should be reintroduced to the game sometime next week.

Last edited:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Well now that I've stopped being a whiny bitch trying to compare holdfast to Napoleonic warfare and get salty when playing the way I play in nap doesn't work in holdfast, I'm quite getting into the game.

I still hate melee though, it just doesn't feel right even with your explanation, players who are semi decent at the game strafe like mad and i don't yet know the trick to hitting reliably (the death star exhaust port was static, enemy players are anything but!) so get pasted.
Blocking is actually the one aspect of melee I have no problems with, since it's the same as in nap (i know i sound like a broken record..), basically anyone that isn't attacking you with a sword can only attack 1 of 2 directions: up or down. You do have enough time to react once you see which position the other guy is using so can easily hold my own against one guy trying to gut me with a bayonet.
So yeah what I do now is block and try to GTFO, or at best keep someone busy whilst another team mate guts them in the sides, it ain't exactly glorious but it's best I can do for now.

So fuck melee, shooting is where it's at and once I have a comfy position with some cover at medium ranges to the enemy, can score a decent amount of kills in a game and only have to fear rifles.

Otherwise I got real unlucky with my first games it seems, or maybe because the holidays are over, lot less squeakers now and even if I still ain't fan of mic, people grate me a lot less then before and when some people actually try to organize coordinate attacks it has led to some nice mass charges. Less nigga music too, had a dude spam LOTR music during one of the mass charges and I admit that was kinda fun.

Btw question relating to being a banner dude: is it possible to cheer? Not just via a voice command but having your guy actually brandish the flag and wave it around all dramatically? For those moments when people are wavering and you go out there and cheer in a dangerous spot to motivate the fuckers to get out there and die for king and country.

Otherwise greatly looking forward to cavalry and engineers that can actually build stuff, that's when I'll start putting in some serious hours into the game methinks.

the_1990

Educated
Well now that I've stopped being a whiny bitch trying to compare holdfast to Napoleonic warfare and get salty when playing the way I play in nap doesn't work in holdfast, I'm quite getting into the game.

I still hate melee though, it just doesn't feel right even with your explanation, players who are semi decent at the game strafe like mad and i don't yet know the trick to hitting reliably (the death star exhaust port was static, enemy players are anything but!) so get pasted.
Blocking is actually the one aspect of melee I have no problems with, since it's the same as in nap (i know i sound like a broken record..), basically anyone that isn't attacking you with a sword can only attack 1 of 2 directions: up or down. You do have enough time to react once you see which position the other guy is using so can easily hold my own against one guy trying to gut me with a bayonet.
So yeah what I do now is block and try to GTFO, or at best keep someone busy whilst another team mate guts them in the sides, it ain't exactly glorious but it's best I can do for now.

So fuck melee, shooting is where it's at and once I have a comfy position with some cover at medium ranges to the enemy, can score a decent amount of kills in a game and only have to fear rifles.

Yeah, though it has improved many are still not satisfied with the melee. The devs admit there is still work to be done.

Otherwise I got real unlucky with my first games it seems, or maybe because the holidays are over, lot less squeakers now and even if I still ain't fan of mic, people grate me a lot less then before and when some people actually try to organize coordinate attacks it has led to some nice mass charges. Less nigga music too, had a dude spam LOTR music during one of the mass charges and I admit that was kinda fun.

I see you met Dunedein, lol

Btw question relating to being a banner dude: is it possible to cheer? Not just via a voice command but having your guy actually brandish the flag and wave it around all dramatically? For those moments when people are wavering and you go out there and cheer in a dangerous spot to motivate the fuckers to get out there and die for king and country.

If you're asking if there is a flag-wavind animation I'm afraid not. You can block in certain ways and you're guy will hold the flag in a certain way, but that's the best you can do.

Would you believe the flag was THE most powerful melee weapon in the game before they nerfed it?

Otherwise greatly looking forward to cavalry and engineers that can actually build stuff, that's when I'll start putting in some serious hours into the game methinks.

Hop on over to the discord if you'd like: https://discord.gg/y3vbE2

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Fair enough for the banner waving, tis a relatively minor thing. And yeh, first time I got impaled by a banner I was rather surprised, thank goodness it got nerfed though because one shouldn't play the bannerman just to kick ass in melee but to be a figurehead and look cool.

What view do you play in?
First or Third Person?

First person for shooting and aiming, third person when moving around so you have maximum situational awareness. For melee combat, 3rd person as first person doesn't do much to help me land my hits better and encourages tunnel vision, 3rd person means I can watch out for those attacking from the sides or back.

the_1990

Educated
Holdfast has recieved an update, gamers: https://steamcommunity.com/games/589290/announcements/detail/3532415200156489549

And they're teasing the future introduction of Rocket arty:

634738926d6220e2aef12a0a6495ac2163032b31.jpg

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
So just found out about this game through some gameplay videos that randomly appeared on my YouTube feed:

Now I wanna try this shit :lol::lol::lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom