Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate It's 2018. This is my first thread. I'm going to play BG2 for the first time.

Ein Axt

Educated
Played 1 a very long time ago. Enjoyed it aside from RTwP combat.

Any mods and unofficial patches I should be running? .ini configs?

Ein Axt

Educated
No quality of life mods? I probably won't replay it soon, so I might as well mod it.

What's the hate for EE, btw? The UI seems fine from the screenshots.

Ein Axt

Educated
Hmm? Like what? Bugfinder Patchmaker? I already finished one run and I'm not doing another one until 2025 when most bugs are gone.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
No quality of life mods? I probably won't replay it soon, so I might as well mod it.

It's a cash-grab. Beamdog's additions are inferior to most mods already created for the games they turn into EE, and they charge more than the originals cost. Their additional content, such as characters, are also pretty cringeworthy.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
UI is great. EE eliviates the need for any ease of use mods. Most of the mods are about adding new items ( not necessary on the first playthrough), making the game much harder ( play on hard and you should be fine) and new quests and locations ( don't bother).

Ein Axt

Educated

You enjoyed it aside from the thing you're going to be spending 80% of your time doing?

Is BG2 THAT combat heavy? If I remember correctly BG1 had a good balance between reading simulator and pause every every frame combat.

I like TB but I can play some RTwP if the game is good.

Ein Axt

Educated

It's a cash-grab. Beamdog's additions are inferior to most mods already created for the games they turn into EE, and they charge more than the originals cost. Their additional content, such as characters, are also pretty cringeworthy.

What, so basically a more expensive product with shitty bonus content? Well, it was on sale and I didn't mind paying $5 for it.

So what mods should I be installing?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You enjoyed it aside from the thing you're going to be spending 80% of your time doing?

Is BG2 THAT combat heavy? If I remember correctly BG1 had a good balance between reading simulator and pause every every frame combat.

I like TB but I can play some RTwP if the game is good.

Unless you're a very slow ready both BG1 and BG2 are all about the combat in practice. BG2's story is actually one of the better high fantasy RPG stories out there, but if you actively dislike the combat it's not worth it in my opinion.

If you're determined to go through with it I'd skim the tweak anthology to see if anything seems necessary to you, but other than that you're good to go. If you go with non-EE you'll want BG2 Fixpack as well.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
tactics mod is pretty fun

wtf people still recommending tactics :abyssgazer:

If you want a difficulty mod Sword Coast Stratagems is one of the best gameplay mods released for any game, period. Contrary to Tactics its been continously updated - last update was this Wednesday. But again if you hate the gameplay don't install it, it's just gonna make things harder and by nature you'll spending more time on them as a result.

Ein Axt

Educated
Hmm? Like what? Bugfinder Patchmaker? I already finished one run and I'm not doing another one until 2025 when most bugs are gone.
Planescape: Torment, Anachronix, Arcanum and Gothic were all released within a year of BG2 and were far greater RPGs.

Great, a list of games that's as old as BG2 that I've already played before.

What else do you have there, friend?

-

So what I'm hearing is that EE actually changes some of the dialogues of the original? I'm not to keen about that. My mod list so far: TuTu and Sword Coast Stratagems.

Parabalus

Arcane

If you want a difficulty mod Sword Coast Stratagems is one of the best gameplay mods released for any game, period. Contrary to Tactics its been continously updated - last update was this Wednesday. But again if you hate the gameplay don't install it, it's just gonna make things harder and by nature you'll spending more time on them as a result.

You can use both though, some of the side encounters from tactics are pretty cool.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Planescape: Torment, Anachronix, Arcanum and Gothic were all released within a year of BG2 and were far greater RPGs.

Great, a list of games that's as old as BG2 that I've already played before.

What else do you have there, friend?

-

So what I'm hearing is that EE actually changes some of the dialogues of the original?

It doesn't, but it doesn't add anything much of value either unless you're gonna heavily mod your game.

I'm not to keen about that. My mod list so far: TuTu and Sword Coast Stratagems.

TuTu (and BGT, which you should use instead) do nothing if you're only gonna play BG2. Also remember the Tweak Pack and the Fixpack.

You can use both though, some of the side encounters from tactics are pretty cool.

Fair point.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It doesn't, but it doesn't add anything much of value either unless you're gonna heavily mod your game.
Ease of use features are great. BG2ee is also not unbalanced like bgee is. Additional writing is limited to new npcs as far as I know. Just ignore or kill them.

Corvinus

Arcane

It's not the UI, but the even worse character writing and forced inclusion / whitewashing of perverse deviants, fit only for extermination, which inspire hatred.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ease of use features are great. BG2ee is also not unbalanced like bgee is. Additional writing is limited to new npcs as far as I know. Just ignore or kill them.

Which ease of use features are those? There are none that you can't get through mods. I use the EE's because EET is superior to BGT and the most updated versions of mods I used are for the EEs, but that's about it.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
yeah dorn is gay in both bg games.

there is funny moment in bg2 when he attacked me in copper coronet saying 'test me' but when i crushed him he stopped.

you can just pirate the game.

Bocian

Arcane
It's a buggy mess, still, despite patching. Improvements are scarce and inferior to community-made mods, and the game has been infected with fanfic-tier characters, blatant in-your-face agenda and terrible writing. As a principle, you shouldn't be giving these people money. It's a scam, plain and simple.
EE eliviates the need for any ease of use mods
Alleviates something that takes 5 minutes at best, including downloading a file that modern internet speeds DL in seconds time. People are so lazy and dumb nowadays, it's pathetic. No wonder so many eat reheated junk food instead of putting in a minuscule effort to make a simple thing themselves.

yeah dorn is gay in both bg games.
Leave Keldorn alone.

Parabalus

Arcane

Which ease of use features are those? There are none that you can't get through mods. I use the EE's because EET is superior to BGT and the most updated versions of mods I used are for the EEs, but that's about it.

No/faster loading screens and AoE loot.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

No/faster loading screens and AoE loot.

Fake news, my reloads are instantaneous on both the old games and the EEs and have been since before EEs were out. You don't even get additional bugfixes I believe since CamDawg has been updating the fixpack.

AoE loot is true I suppose but fairly minor. The biggest improvement in the EEs is a better journal. That you will probably miss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom