Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nahlakh and Natuk

Breshard

Novice
The enemy spells go by so fast it's often hard to make out what they were, even with framerate dropped to 1000 or so in Dosbox. Just had probably the toughest fight yet, was an enemy spellcaster that was casting like 5 or 6 spells a round and some of them instantly killing my guys, would've been nice to catch what he was casting sometimes!

Was happy to see an enchanter in this game, makes up somewhat for lack of decent drops so far. This is a feature I think should be in more rpg's, is a great gold sink and many rpg's have the issue of people accumulating too much wealth. I only remember having enchanters like this in wizard's crown/eternal dagger and demon's winter. I'm assuming Natuk probably has one as well.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The enemy spells go by so fast it's often hard to make out what they were, even with framerate dropped to 1000 or so in Dosbox. Just had probably the toughest fight yet, was an enemy spellcaster that was casting like 5 or 6 spells a round and some of them instantly killing my guys, would've been nice to catch what he was casting sometimes!

Sounds like he cast Quickness!
I found myself making video captures so I could see what spells were cast.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Once you know what the verbs mean, its also pretty easy to make educated guesses on new spells. If I recall correctly, I worked out some spells in this way that I never found elsewhere.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Was happy to see an enchanter in this game, makes up somewhat for lack of decent drops so far. This is a feature I think should be in more rpg's, is a great gold sink and many rpg's have the issue of people accumulating too much wealth. I only remember having enchanters like this in wizard's crown/eternal dagger and demon's winter. I'm assuming Natuk probably has one as well.
You will never have too much gold in this game. Even apart from the enchanting, you could spend all of your money on stat trainers. There is also a finite amount of gold in the world, so griding is not an option.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think the CRPG Addict will be a bit ambivalent about it. One the one hand it should get a high score on Economy, but OTOH there's absolutely no room for grinding.

Breshard

Novice
This is a good thing, I never grind in games. I'd much prefer to have underpowered party and have some challenging fights than being overpowered and just breeze through stuff and with the shortage of gold, makes some choices on whether to pump stats even more or items, it seems like he did economy pretty well, wish Gold box games could've done it half so well!

Yeah, I've been lurker on CRPGaddict for years, not sure he will enjoy this, there is also no real reason to map which he enjoys doing, also pretty much a lack of a story. IIRC he hasn't enjoyed games a whole lot that were basically all about the combat and/or loot with very little story or mapping.

Breshard

Novice
Working my way through the 3rd island now. This game is quite the marathon, I'm about ready to reach the end now!

Some observations for newer players
-Hunting/food can for the most part be ignored, half the time my inventory was too full to bother with food when day hit and the effects are temporary and easily countered.
-Music may possibly be useful, but in the early game when the boost might be useful I never had any instruments, so I basically never bothered with this either.
-Medicine/bandages was another one I didn't find a use for and thought the extra inventory spaces was more important than hauling around bandages. Use priest magic.
-Shields are super important later in game. Not getting hit is way more important for keeping your guys alive than getting high health or high armor. Use 1 handers and shield when possible, although best weapon I've seen is a 2h sword so you may wish to use that on 1 guy.

Has anyone used missile weapons in Nahlakh? I've pretty much not used them at all, was curious if they are any good. Also since I'll probably play through Natuk someday, are the skills better utilized in Natuk? In Nahalakh most seem pretty useless other than combat skills and prayer/magic other than lock picking and merchant.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I had one guy - the "mule and thus with not much movement - with missile weapons. Can be useful for targeting spell caster the melee guys can't reach.

I don't recall much about skills, except Merchant is very useful in Nahlakh since you can never have enough gold, and Tracking is quire important in Natuk.

Breshard

Novice
You could probably cheese 90% of fights by making a wall of rocks if you have archers/polearm guys and totally negating any enemy melee. I don't really like doing stuff like that though, I like having some risk in my combats. Heck, I'm trying to use quickness as little as possible as it seems like it'd trivialize most fights, have only used it for one fight so far, vs. the scorpio chief and his mage buddies after I got wrecked like 10 times.

Breshard

Novice
Just started playing this again after taking a couple month break at end of the year. Just killed Drauglak and got the 13th key, that was probably the hardest fight so far, had to adjust strategy a couple times to beat it. I have all the keys and only the ice palace left to explore now, probably not too much longer left in game.

Martyr

Arcane
I know that Proudfoot offers Nahlakh, Natuk and POWS as freeware and I've downloaded them all, but I'd be interested in the version that he sold.
did anbody here actually buy a copy of Nahlakh or Natuk?
and if yes, what is it like? did it come in a big box or just in a jewel case? and did it have a manual? how about art and a descriptive text on the back?
I'd love to have one of these games as a CD, but sadly there's not a single copy to be found. not even pictures.

I bought a copy of Natuk a few years ago. As far as I remember, it came in a sleeve - no box, no printed manual. The nice thing about it, though, is that it is not just a burnt CD-R but a properly pressed CD (+with a nice printing of the title on the front).

Martyr

Arcane
I bought a copy of Natuk a few years ago. As far as I remember, it came in a sleeve - no box, no printed manual. The nice thing about it, though, is that it is not just a burnt CD-R but a properly pressed CD (+with a nice printing of the title on the front).
a few years ago? do you remember when exactly? and how did you buy it, did you contact Proudfoot?

Sure, just checked my inbox - that was back in 2015. His website used to have a link via which you could order the game. The weird thing about it was that you then had to send a separate email with the paypal confirmation number and your shipping address. Worked without a hitch in the end though.

Martyr

Arcane
Sure, just checked my inbox - that was back in 2015. His website used to have a link via which you could order the game. The weird thing about it was that you then had to send a separate email with the paypal confirmation number and your shipping address. Worked without a hitch in the end though.
thanks, this is a valuable information!
I couldn't find any way of buying a copy of these games but I'll see if I can find that link.

Martyr

Arcane
Don't forget the music that is embedded on the disk.
on the same disk as the game or on a seperate disk?
or do you mean one has to extract the music into the game, or otherwise it doesn't play? the versions of Nahlakh and Natuk that I've played didn't have any music in them, just sounds like walking or hitting something etc.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I also bought Natuk from Tom in 2005 and remember the same; all I have is the disk.

Breshard

Novice
Only demon world left now. I was aware of the skeletal dragon and archlich fight from this thread and went in with everyone quickened with +5 silver weapons and completely steamrolled it. The drauglak fight was a lot harder for me. I wish I'd tried this a couple times without quickness to see if it's possible. If anyone reads this in the future and likes tough tactical combats I'd recommend trying to beat this game without using quickness, the few times i've used it for a fight it made the victory feel cheap.

Breshard

Novice
Phew, after quite a bit of slogging around in the demon world fighting many random encounters i finally made it to the castle and finished the game. The final castle was kind of shorty and not overly difficult compared to some earlier stuff. All in all I liked this game quite a bit although i felt like there was too many trash combats that posed no challenge. How similar to this game is Natuk?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Reasonably similar, but Natuk has more emphasis on story, a smaller world and many of the cheesier ways to win fights have been eliminated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom