Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
ouWnrGm.jpg

Co-Op migth be fun

Goliath Boss OST

EDIT:

Dante's new DT form?

Wz3lUxS.jpg

Some guys are already testing crazy shit with the demo:

I've been thinking...
So far, what we can gather is that Demons are once again overrunning the Earth, and there's currently a "race" between the demons for the throne of Hell.
Since 5 takes place after 2 and at the end of 2, Dante goes to Hell and returns. Then maybe the events of 5 were indirectly caused by Dante, because while he was in Hell he might have killed a couple of important demons and maybe opened even further the portal between Earth and Hell.

Last edited:

Martius

Liturgist
I would say looks like mix of dmc2 and unused/scrapped Dante dt from dmc4.
16%2B-%2B2

Ivan

Arcane
I just started playing Monster Hunter World (my first monster hunter) and I totally wish it was more like DMC...especially after seeing that first image...*drool*

I just started playing Monster Hunter World (my first monster hunter) and I totally wish it was more like DMC...especially after seeing that first image...*drool*
There's always hope for Dragon's Dogma 2...in four or five years.

Really want that and some fighting game in this engine.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
sullynathan, whatever shit you posted doesn't load on pc.

Been hearing a rumor that V is somehow connected to Mundus (last boss of the first game), that does explain why tries to kill Dante,

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
In the few Nero gameplay footage we've seen, it can be noted that all the different Devil Breakers allowed to use a orange wire that functioned as a sort of Devil Bringer. So no the demon arm is lost to Nero.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

V
Unlike Dante and Nero, V has very little demonic power and seemingly a normal human, instead his abilities comes from his pact with his three demons and is capable of casting a huge variety of magic spells. One spell seems to involves creating many duplicates of his cane to attack many enemies at once.

Familiars
V has the ability to summon demons to fight on his behalf. When not call upon, the demons are embodied as tattoos on V's body and in his hair, turning it from white to black. When they are summon, the corresponding tattoo to each demon will disappear and his hair turns back to its original color.

Shadow: This demon familiar usually takes the form of a quadruped beast, only to shape-shift into blades, needles, and all manner of nasty weapons to act as vanguard. Through Shadow, V can also move at faster speeds than normal. V can also ride on Shadow as a form of transportation.

Griffon: This avian monstrosity can always be found somewhere around V, usually flapping its beak with some inappropriate jab. Griffon brings the thunder with electrified long-range attacks, or can give V a lift if close by. Griffon is the only one that knows human language and acts as the interpreter for Shadow and Nightmare so others can understand them.

Nightmare: V can unleash his full power to call upon this gargantuan demon. When summoned, Nightmare may crash onto the battlefield like a meteorite, or burst through parts of the environment to heed the call. Its sluggish movements belie unsurpassed strength and nigh-invulnerability. Wherever Nightmare appears, its massive fists or brutal laser beams are the last thing enemies ever see.

Gameplay
In terms of combat, V uses his cane and book with the letter "V" on it as weapons. He's also capable of summoning different types of demons that will aid him in the battle and casting a huge variation of spells. Due to his unique gameplay style, V described to be a "tricky" and strategic character to use in battle. When playing as V, maintaining a distance is key while his familiars are fighting and as long V doesn't take damage, the battle can continue. When quickly evading or attempting to ride on Shadow or fly with Griffon, V must have his familiars close to him or call them back to his position.

V's demons can be strengthen and learn new abilities over the course of the game. However, V's familiars cannot kill other demons and V must land the finishing blow. When enemies are close to death, they will start to stagger and turn violet, signalling for V to finished them off with his cane.

The demons are manually directed by V, but Griffon and Shadow can fight automatically, but having them fight automatically will use up V's D.T gauge. With Nightmare, summoning him consumes the D.T. gauge and it also decreases when Nightmare attacks. Due to Nightmare's slow movement, Nightmare essentially cannot transverse the ground very well and isn't ideal to use when surrounded by enemies. Nightmare also fights automatically, but can be directly controlled by V when he climbs on his shoulder and pierced him with his cane. As along Nightmare is controlled by V, V can kill enemies off using Nightmare.

The familiars can take damage and will revert to their core state after taking too much. In their core state, they cannot attack and cannot be summon again for a certain amount of time. If Griffon and Shadow are in their core state, summoning Nightmare is a quick way to revive them. Another way to quickly revive the familiars from their core states is for V to stand close to them, the closer V is the faster the familiars can revive.

In order to fill V's D.T. gauge, V has to read his book and the closer V is to his opponents while reading, the faster the gauge will fill.

Itsuno stated in a Famitsu interview that V caused the most trouble when developing Devil May Cry 5. At the New York Comic-Con 2018, he also stated that V was actually his favorite character.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
Going to try and get caught up before 5 comes out, played 1 plenty of times when it came out but missed the others after I played 2 and it was kinda shit.

Is it advisible to skip 2 or must I power through?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Demo for PS4 on the 7th of February. No word for the PC yet...

Going to try and get caught up before 5 comes out, played 1 plenty of times when it came out but missed the others after I played 2 and it was kinda shit.

The only thing you need to know about 2, is that the game ends with Dante riding a motorcycle into the depths of Hell, and DMC 5 takes place after 2. So yes skip it.

You must absolutely play DMC3 which the best of series. And you must play it twice, because the best difficulty setting of the game - Dante Must Die - only becomes available after the first playtrough.
I recommend you to download the HD Collection for PC (it comes with 1, 2 and 3) and the Style Switcher Mod (seriously this mod is a must to DMC3).

DMC4 on the other hand...
While it's important story-wise for DMC5 because it introduced Nero, it's campaign is really weak.

The bosses and enemy design are almost entirely mediocre. And by The 2nd part of the campaign you switch from Nero to Dante, but Dante's part is Nero's levels but in the reverse order. So you end up fighting the same bosses 3 times (1 for Nero, 1 for Dante and once again in the last 2 chapters with Nero). To end there's only 2 great boss fights which you do only with Nero - one is Credo (which you never repeat again) and the other is Dante (that while you fight him 2 times, the first is more of a tutorial).

However the gameplay is just fucking great. Not decent, not good or even very good, it's excellent, period.
Both Nero and Dante are completely different to play it but both amazing. Nero has a very limited arsenal (a mistake which they corrected in 5) but is as versatile as Dante and simple play (but difficult to master).
Dante is largely the same as in DMC3 but now unlike 3 you can switch styles on the fly (that why I recommend the Style Switcher Mod for 3) and his weapons in this one while few, are on of the best in the series (specially Lucifer and Pandora).

If you decide to play 4 then go with the Special Edition - it adds 3 new playable characters.

Here's a some good reviews, watch both videos:

Last edited:

Martius

Liturgist

Skip it unless you really want to compare how big quality jump 3 is. I have no idea what DMC5 could have to warrant playing through DMC2.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
Awesome, thanks for the comprehensive response - doing 1 again for old time’s sake then I’ll skip to 3, looking forward to it.

:bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom