Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2018: Results & Cool Graphs

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Deadfire still scored too highly, THIS SHIT IS RIGGED AND I WANT A RECOUNT :x

I really do need to pick up Atom RPG, it's just delayed a bit since I'm still chewing on Kingmaker and dicking around with other shit. And I am really surprised more people here played Kingmaker than Deadfire though, despite my shitflinging at it. Unsurprised at the Bard's Tale trilogy crushing it though since that is really fucking well done.
Of course it's rigged like previous poll with POE shining like a golden sun over a sea of RPG. It doesn't deserve controversial classic tag, its just average, and really nothing controversial. Had they a decent pen and paper system and great story tellers the game could have been salvaged. Technically its perfect, run well, pretty, there's undoubtedly skilled people working at obsidian Microsoft gamepass shovelware department but it's boring especially after playing that bugged piece of shit of russian garbage that is kingmaker beating it on every aspects.

This is the more honest overview of what PoE is, condensed in one word to MEDIOCRE.

Nevertheless, now imagine if P:K was TURN BASED.

Mortmal

Arcane
Deadfire still scored too highly, THIS SHIT IS RIGGED AND I WANT A RECOUNT :x

I really do need to pick up Atom RPG, it's just delayed a bit since I'm still chewing on Kingmaker and dicking around with other shit. And I am really surprised more people here played Kingmaker than Deadfire though, despite my shitflinging at it. Unsurprised at the Bard's Tale trilogy crushing it though since that is really fucking well done.
Of course it's rigged like previous poll with POE shining like a golden sun over a sea of RPG. It doesn't deserve controversial classic tag, its just average, and really nothing controversial. Had they a decent pen and paper system and great story tellers the game could have been salvaged. Technically its perfect, run well, pretty, there's undoubtedly skilled people working at obsidian Microsoft gamepass shovelware department but it's boring especially after playing that bugged piece of shit of russian garbage that is kingmaker beating it on every aspects.

This is the more honest overview of what PoE is, condensed in one word to MEDIOCRE.

Turn based with balanced and challenging 3.5 encounters...ah
That's maybe Realms beyond or this https://www.tactical-adventures.com/

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I did not realize Kingdom Come Deliverance was regarded so highly on the codex. I need to put it and Atom on my list.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
felipepepe

Would be great if you can make a graphic like that "age of incline". It was definitely my main reason to join the codex.
But I made the exact same graph:

o4ozfCb.jpg

Hmmm, but using your metric on my quoted graph, Deadfire should be on "new classics" subset, right?

Martyr

Arcane
lots and lots of new VNs released on gog today and I was finally starting to write off gog completely, but then this happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seems alright (aside from ignoring the true GOTY Grimoire V2; but I guess it is the only way to give other games a chance, otherwise Grimoire will still be winning in 2035)

I am really surprised to see that ATOM is apparently that good. I really have to check it out sometime. Though I really dislike the commieblock aesthetic for a post-apocalyptic setting. I mean it works in a game like Stalker where it underlines the otherwordly setting or in a real life setting where it goes to show that hell is already real. But for post-apocalypse type setting to work there needs to be a miss match or a shift between what once was (optimistic 50s pulp futurism in Fallout; art deco in Bioshock) and the decay and ruins of the post-apocalypse. I mean If its the end of the world and your Russian, do you even notice?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
People voting KCD that high probably didn't finish it. Strange, really. I was hyped for KCD before release, played the shit out of the game at release...and then got the endgame. Which is insanely fucking boring. Everthing Monastery-onwards in that game is utterly boring.

But...yeah, game starts fun and that's how it gets voted. Like D:OS2 all over again.

sstacks

Arcane
felipepepe Do you have time to Skype or Discord or etc for 20-30 minutes in the next week or two for a special podcast on these results and your analysis? Not a full show, we can record whenever
Sure, I'm travelling this Thursday, but I will be back Tuesday. We can do something after that. Or before, if you have the time.

After you get back next Tuesday is fine, I'll set a reminder to follow up with you

Martyr

Arcane
People voting KCD that high probably didn't finish it. Strange, really. I was hyped for KCD before release, played the shit out of the game at release...and then got the endgame. Which is insanely fucking boring. Everthing Monastery-onwards in that game is utterly boring.

But...yeah, game starts fun and that's how it gets voted. Like D:OS2 all over again.
tbh everything before the monastery was boring as well. KCD is a boredom-simulator. the most intelligent thing to do with the monastery is google who to kill, instantly kill that guy and get out of there asap.
imo Kingdom Come is at its best when you kill wanderers and bandits and soak in that medieval atmosphere. the writing and story should be ignored.

SniperHF

Arcane
Which is insanely fucking boring. Everthing Monastery-onwards in that game is utterly boring.

I think this overstates it a bit.

Except the bit about the Monastery which really is insanely fucking boring (and horribly implemented on top of it).

Also the ladder raid was kind of annoying in that it's basically designed failure.

But the end game is only what 8 hours or so? Underrail had a shit endgame too and it was still good.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
the most intelligent thing to do with the monastery is google who to kill, instantly kill that guy and get out of there asap.

this. I first got the quest and I was like "so this is the point in the game where I get to larp as a medieval monk? Yeah, no thanks [alt tabs to google]". I stopped playing the game once I got to a point with a severe lack of dudes to kill.

Speaking of "dudes to kill", the fact that the combat and the combo system never really come to realize their full potential is also a massive bummer. I don't think I ever managed to pull a combo outside of the arena save for the odd scarmaker, since enemies are either parry gods or scrubs who just die in two blows. No epic fights to pull combos, meh...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
lol from all these games I've only played Ghost of a Tale and while it's a great little game, it's definitely not an rpg...

but it's cool so many people liked it, it definitely deserves recognition.

Martyr

Arcane
since enemies are either parry gods or scrubs who just die in two blows.

I always found it fascinating when a single dude with torn clothes and a wooden club or shitty sword parries until you've run out of stamina and then beats you to a bloody piece of meat, but fighting fully armed/equipped knights on the other hand can end like this:

7kjDFux.jpg

cl91x1q.jpg

Corvinus

Arcane
I think that, of all those games, it is only ATOM that interests me.
They just don't make them like they used to, two decades ago. The oft praised giants of old are clearly spent since they've failed to make anything worthwhile since then. Further, if they put even a hint of the "current brainwashing agenda" into the game, it is an instant NO from me. Even if you can exterminate said conveyors ingame, it makes my face so very tired.

How the fuck did they think it was a good idea to put that phrase in a game? Or in anything, for that matter...

Finally, those just shy of 30% decline enablers to the far left on the graph ought to be concentrated somewhere. Perhaps in a work-promoting camplike enviroment. It will prove liberating, mark my words.

I'd be all over that but it'd need a drastic overhaul to work well turn based. A lot of the encounters are fine for RTWP but would be dull as all hell in a turn based environment, not to mention they'd probably need to halve or quarter the combat encounters and up the XP gained just so that the 100+ hour RPG doesn't turn into a 300+ hour RPG. It's why even though I'm interested in seeing Deadfire's turn based mode if they ever get around to releasing it I'm not sure how well it'll work if they don't go through the game and rejigger encounters based on it.

Surprised we don't have a Pathfinder review yet? With it being so well liked...
Might be 'cause the game's so big. As far as I know only a few people have beaten it, initially that was due to bugs but it's also just because it's a big-ass game. Pretty sure Shadenuat has beaten it at least once and I think he's gone through it a few times.

V_K

Arcane

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
ATOM deserved at least second place. it has a higher score than second place but played by fewer because of the late release

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex just prefers awesome immersion cinematic experience more than some boring isometric turn based crap, what else did you expect (not that kingdom come isn't good)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom