Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend some different adventure games

Pastel

Scholar
I admit it - I didn't like Grim Fandango. The plot wasn't all that great, in my opinion, but it was okay. On the other hand, I hated the puzzles. They were all too outlandish.
The reason I loved Scratches was that it was down to earth - none of that 'Take a bottle with a ship in it, fill it with that liquor, show it to the demon guy so that he drinks the whole keg up, then burps it onto the floor with the dominos, without tipping a single one of them, so that then you can put liquid nitrogen onto the floor to freeze it.' Rather than, maybe, just asking him to bring the keg?
So, if anyone of you isn't disgusted with me for not liking Grim Fandango, what adventure games would you recommend? I guess Post Mortem would be appropriate - is it a good game?

Mareus

Magister
Try Death Gate damnit! I keep telling people it is one of the greatest adventure games ever when it comes to puzzles and dialogs, but nooooooo. It has to be one of the famous adventure games. Sheesh. Everything is very logical and there is a lot to do, and none of the puzzles are for the lulz, so you only have to think what you would really do if you were in the character's shoes. And there is no dreaded pixel hunting, since you can see very easily with what you can interact.

LCJr.

Erudite
I typically don't do adventure games but really liked the first Broken Sword especially the dialogues. You'll need SCUMMVM to get it run though. http://www.scummvm.org/

Longshanks

Augur
Not sure I can help you too much with recommendations if you didn't like Grim Fandango.

Haven't played Post Mortem, but the sequel, Still Life, considered the better game, is a decent adventure with good atmosphere, music and cut-scenes. Pretty standard stuff, but well executed.

Seem to remember you've played The Last Express, if not, do so.

Others I'd recommend: Sanitarium, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Dark Earth, Blade Runner.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
If you didn't like Grim Fandango then you're a lost cause. Stay away from adventure games and play Myst for all eternity.

I don't get why Broken Sword gets so much praise. They're some of the most bland type of adventure games I've ever played. Dialogue is crap, puzzles are shit. The plot - oh my god, the plot - is terrible. I don't get it. Looks like you're gonna be playing Myst for all eternity too, buddy.

Mareus, I don't understand your post at all. That's awesome.

Mareus

Magister
Andyman Messiah said:
If you didn't like Grim Fandango then you're a lost cause. Stay away from adventure games and play Myst for all eternity.

I don't get why Broken Sword gets so much praise. They're some of the most bland type of adventure games I've ever played. Dialogue is crap, puzzles are shit. The plot - oh my god, the plot - is terrible. I don't get it. Looks like you're gonna be playing Myst for all eternity too, buddy.

Mareus, I don't understand your post at all. That's awesome.
Broken Sword 1 was awesome, the rest were meh, especially the 3D ones.

PS. What exactly was so hard to understand?

garren

Arcane
Patron
Man I remember playing Broken Sword years and years ago, I got stuck to a point where some fat dude was roasting kebabs and he wouldn't give me his toilet brush (Yes you read correctly), and eventually I gave up. Great game though.

Mareus

Magister
garren said:
Man I remember playing Broken Sword years and years ago, I got stuck to a point where some fat dude was roasting kebabs and he wouldn't give me his toilet brush (Yes you read correctly), and eventually I gave up. Great game though.
You needed to give the ball to that smart kid and ask him to help you get the toilet brush. He will give you a line you need to say to the kebab guy and the rest will work out automatically.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Lumpy my opinion about the games you mentioned is exactly the opposite, I love GF and didn't like Scratches...

If you want a myst-clone type if game , then Riven is said to be the best of them.

Post mortem is not like scratches , it has a different style, a richer gameplay and it's a far better game IMO.

Since you probably don't like the lucasarts style maybe you should try the Garbriel Night games (which are awesome) and the Tex Murphy games (if you don't mind fmv).

If you're searching about newer games then I don't have many commercial titles to recommend. I've played many freeware adventures that are far better than most of the newer published titles. If you're don't mind playing 2d underground adventures with simple graphics , my recommendations would be the Trilby games , The white room , A tale of two kingdoms.

Broken sword 1 was an excellent game , unfortunately the rest of the series are crap. Beneath a steel sky, form the same company is also very ggod.

The best adventure I played lately is Realms of the haunting , but it's more of an action/adventure hybrid.

Longshanks

Augur
Realms of the Haunting is great fun. Yes, it is an FPS/Adventure hybrid , runs on the Doom engine, but the Adventure elements are still strong with more puzzles than most full AGs. It's like Clive Barker's: Undying with more Adventure elements and wonderfully cheesy FMV.

Pastel

Scholar
ghostdog said:
Post mortem is not like scratches , it has a different style, a richer gameplay and it's a far better game IMO.
I don't really mind that.

ghostdog said:
Broken sword 1 was an excellent game , unfortunately the rest of the series are crap
Already played it.

ghostdog said:
The best adventure I played lately is Realms of the haunting , but it's more of an action/adventure hybrid.
I don't mind some action. Will look into it. Thanks.

Also I've already played Last Express - excellent game, could have used a bit more non-linearity though.

MountainWest

Scholar
Like you, I enjoyed Scratches (the atmosphere) and found GF less fun. I've played a number of adventure games lately:

Broken Sword 1: Good and made with a lot of love. A bit to childish, though.

Broken Sword 2: Broken Sword 1, but mediocre.

Overclocked: This one I liked. Constant rain, a protagonist with a fucked up personal life and mental issues. A mystery involving amnesiac kids on a mental institute. All good. However, it's not much of a game.

A Moment of Silence: Same company that made Overclocked. A future world where the state is on the brink of becoming a complete "Big Brother". Again, the story and the characters are better than the "game". I liked it, but thought Overclocked was better. Too much going back and forth.

Dracula Origin: Except the very first puzzle, this one wasn't very fun. Good graphics, but not much of a soul or atmosphere.

peak

Scholar
If Post Mortem is anything like Still Life, and if Still Life is superior to Post Mortem, they're much worse than Scratches on all levels (Still Life has a somewhat interesting story but it is ruined by bad pacing and lousy characters). As so many modern adventure games they are well overhyped by the adventure gaming crowd. Could be worth to try them out though, SL is not bad, just not anywhere as good as AG:s from the golden years or Scratches.

I suppose you've played the Gabriel Knight games?

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Mareus said:
Try Death Gate damnit! I keep telling people it is one of the greatest adventure games ever when it comes to puzzles and dialogs, but nooooooo. It has to be one of the famous adventure games. Sheesh. Everything is very logical and there is a lot to do, and none of the puzzles are for the lulz, so you only have to think what you would really do if you were in the character's shoes. And there is no dreaded pixel hunting, since you can see very easily with what you can interact.

He's right, you know. One of the best graphical adventures I've played.
And while your at it, the other Legend adventures are quite good as well.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened. Excellent atmosphere, writing and perfectly combines Lovecraft and The Great Detective.

Not to mention there isn't a single instance of irrational solutions. Everything is delightfully logical, but deviously cunning at times.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
One I've been meaning to try is "The Lost Crown", a recent release by the guy who did the Dark Fall series.

Just Adventure is going gaga over it. And a lot of other sites as well, which is unusual for an adventure game nowadays. "Sensible" and "logical" are words people are using to describe the puzzles.

peak

Scholar
Pastel said:
No, but from what I've heard I don't want to.

Specifically, this: http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

Haven't run in to any of that shit in the first game yet. Though I haven't gone through the whole game yet.

But I agree with you about those kind of puzzles - at least, in old Lucasarts games there was some logic to the crazyness if you understand what I mean. Games like the by AG:ers acclaimed Tunguska Secret Files fail at it by fusing bad logic and an otherwise realistic game world.

Just another reason Scratches worked so well of course. Now that's how realistic and logical puzzles should be done.

If you're in mind for pure logic driven puzzles, check out Safecracker which has all it's focus on that part. It's pretty good, though nothing revolutionary.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
I don't know if by different you mean unlike traditional adventure games like GF, but if that's what you're looking for you should try Indigo Prophecy.

Countdown.
The player plays as Mason Powers, a CIA agent who wakes up in a Turkish mental hospital, suffering from partial amnesia and accused of murdering his supervisor. Powers must escape the hospital, find out who framed him, piece together his memory and ... etc.
I quite enjoyed it even though it had some whacky controls sometimes. I liked the atmosphere, especially in the beginning. Plus, your name is Mason Powers, that`s almost as cool as Max Power.

made

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Since you probably don't like the lucasarts style maybe you should try the Garbriel Night games (which are awesome)

I really liked the first GK; left me wanting for more. Then it turned out the 2nd has these god-awful FMVs and the 3rd is in shitty 3D. Totally ruined the series for me.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Gabriel Knight is the most consistently good adventure game series Sierra ever made, made. I can't force you to play them but I will hire a lithuanian hitman to find and break the bones of anyone that fits your description; goes by "made" on the internet, if they won't fire up the games and play all three of them in one sitting. Fuck yeah. Consider yourself warned, made's on the internet.

The first is a great old school adventure with Tim Curry's godawful accent and Mark Hamill's awesome awesomery. The second is the only good fmv-game to be produced, fuck the rest. Also Dean Erickson who plays GK is now a real estate agent and that's awesome. The third indeed suffers of shit 3d and stupid puzzle design (old man murray is spot on) but it's still great and Tim Curry's horrible accent returns! Yay!

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
made said:
I really liked the first GK; left me wanting for more. Then it turned out the 2nd has these god-awful FMVs and the 3rd is in shitty 3D. Totally ruined the series for me.

I hope you played the second one anyway. It's still excellent. And the FMV's aren't bad.

Edit: quoted wrong person..sorry ghostdog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom