Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Sharpedge

Prophet
Yeah, voice acting is pretty good. C&C isn't too common, I think bandits are the most prominent display of it, probably the player feedback was not too positive. That quest is pretty old, and seeing that its design is only featured once does speak volumes.

Oh yeah, when you get tired of loot showers that clog up your screen (and most loot turns out to be pointless shit yet again), consider getting a loot filter. I got one recently and holy crap does it make a difference.
Game has a default loot filter which is good enough for newbies, one just has to turn it on in settings.
>__________>

As for voice acting and story, VA is passable but I didn't find it special (except rare cases like the bestiary dude).
It's pretty decent. The bestiary dude is great though. "I will read them my poetry and they will wish they're dead! Ha ha! Just kidding! My poetry is great!"

Main story is kind of crap, but the lore of the world is pretty good and fun. Problem is that your main character does hero stuff without any motivation. At least in Diablo 2 you were setup as a hero character, here you are prisoner and often with a backstory that makes you very far away from any kind of hero but you keep helping everyone for no reason.
I thought our motivation was getting fat gear and smacking shit across the gob? But yeah, there's really no reason for exiles to be doing any of that stuff, could just settle down and become a cannibal or idk just like be or something. Which is why I earlier said the game could use a revamp of the early game, could set up some kind of reason behind being the mass murder machine at least. I dunno, a prologue where your char gets exiled and you're like OMG YES I CAN TOTALLY SEE WHY THE CHAR WANTS TO GET OUT OF EXILE or something.

I think Grim Dawn did the story and motivation part much better (also way more C&C in that game).
Yeah, I'll definitely agree with this, Grim Dawn story, motivation, and world-building in general are way better. And it's a pretty good game, too, definitely worth checking out when you get tired of PoE (and if you ever want to check out another game of this type).

The story was initially written with act 1-3 in mind, with the entire plot basically being revenge. Everything after that is basically a downhill ride. Each of the characters (witch, scion, shadow, etc) do actually have motivations for their actions, but for some reason the lore was left outside of the game and not included in it. For example, here is the ranger's backstory. Yes, it is written by a player, but the person who wrote it compiled it after extensive interviews with the person responsible for writing the PoE lore and it is basically accepted as cannon.

Reinhardt

Arcane
They should update character models. And remove gender lock. I want to play as archer marauder, but it's absolutely haram for karui men to use bow. It's wymmyn weapon.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
or capturing beasts will always trigger if there are capture-able beasts on the map, and I don't have to think about missing any captureable beasts.
This. Einhar is a bro now and will do all the work. It's serious incline compared to bestiary league.
And if I revisit maps where we've been capturing beasts again, after they've respawned, the captureable beasts will be present again?

Angthoron

Arcane
or capturing beasts will always trigger if there are capture-able beasts on the map, and I don't have to think about missing any captureable beasts.
This. Einhar is a bro now and will do all the work. It's serious incline compared to bestiary league.
And if I revisit maps where we've been capturing beasts again, after they've respawned, the captureable beasts will be present again?
Spawns are random, but if they spawn again on the same map, yes, you will cap them again.

Sharpedge

Prophet
If anyone wants items/maps I don't mind helping out either. I am not really playing the league at the moment.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Zana: go and find unique strongbox.
Me: ok.
2zspv0p.png

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Guess some imagehosts doesn't work here, like tinypic.

I am not really sure why you are struggling with maps, those are the 1 thing I do not trade for since I like to work my way through the content myself and not buy it. Using the simple approach of buying maps from Zana that I am missing, then when I unlock the Zana, "change a map to a random map of the same tier" mod using that was more then enough to get everything unlocked. I am only missing Hall of Grandmasters and Perandus Manor.
White and yellow maps are not an issue, red maps on the other hand... Maybe my character have too high level and it somehow affect IIQ of the maps?
Zana and "change a map to a random map of the same tier" and her missions helps tremendously, but there is no such option for red maps and Zana rarely have corrupted red maps in her missions.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, what factors do I need to take into account when judging which item is worth keeping?

If it's white/regular/non-magic? I don't think that's a deal braker, because I have the stones that let me upgrade it.
If it has shitty bonuses and stats? That seems more relevant, because the process of upgrading the stats through enchanting it with stones yeald random results, i.e. you are gambling when you attempt to upgrade.
If it has fewer gem slots? Same as above, because the process to add gem slots involves RNG again.
If it's not applicable to my character, i.e. a bow on a melee-built character? This also makes some sense, but not entirely, because even an item which may be useless to my marauder might be useful to another character in the future.

Help me out here.

Angthoron

Arcane
Ok, what factors do I need to take into account when judging which item is worth keeping?

If it's white/regular/non-magic? I don't think that's a deal braker, because I have the stones that let me upgrade it.
Flasks and items close to your level, especially superior and with higher numbers of links.

If it has shitty bonuses and stats? That seems more relevant, because the process of upgrading the stats through enchanting it with stones yeald random results, i.e. you are gambling when you attempt to upgrade.
Toss.

If it has fewer gem slots? Same as above, because the process to add gem slots involves RNG again.
Usually toss, unless the stats are fantastic. Gambling on adding slots will not be fun later on (it's fine up to 4-slot, after that, well, ymmv)

If it's not applicable to my character, i.e. a bow on a melee-built character? This also makes some sense, but not entirely, because even an item which may be useless to my marauder might be useful to another character in the future.
Only if it's a fantastic item. You'll soon realize your stash space is very very precious.

Also, just whisp'd you in-game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Flasks and items close to your level, especially superior and with higher numbers of links.
When you said "close to your level", I now think I know where the problem is. I've been playing this game by clearing every area, and this is actually by no means intended or planned it seems. This way I became overleveled for the areas I'm in way too quickly. I've been lvl 24-27 today and going around the woods in Act 2 which are between lvl 13-17, I think. So that's why I keep finding items way below my level. Only when I went to the main quest dungeon, where you get to open the tree's roots, I began getting loot items that were lvl 22. Apparently I shouldn't try to milk every area of XP, especially since things are respawning.

In the Act 1 sea cave dungeon I would even go back and forth between the dungeon and hub to sell all the junk. Pointless exercise.

I hear you, Awesomebutton. I played that way for a long time, but the game isn't really designed for you to clear every area. The real question is how you want to spend your play time.

If you enjoy clearing every area, by all means do so. Just be aware that this isn't "optimal play" if you're trying to get awesome loots and maximize the character. You will make more currency and find better loot by leveling your character and playing in increasingly higher level areas rather than clearing out lower level areas completely. Don't be afraid to move on past stuff that is no longer challenging. Just don't skip side quests that reward skill points.

Angthoron

Arcane
When you said "close to your level", I now think I know where the problem is. I've been playing this game by clearing every area, and this is actually by no means intended or planned it seems. This way I became overleveled for the areas I'm in way too quickly. I've been lvl 24-27 today and going around the woods in Act 2 which are between lvl 13-17, I think. So that's why I keep finding items way below my level. Only when I went to the main quest dungeon, where you get to open the tree's roots, I began getting loot items that were lvl 22. Apparently I shouldn't try to milk every area of XP, especially since things are respawning.

In the Act 1 sea cave dungeon I would even go back and forth between the dungeon and hub to sell all the junk. Pointless exercise.
Well, this is because of the thing that a few people including myself have mentioned: used to be that the game ended in Act 3 and you were meant to rerun it again on another difficulty, AND I think you also capped out at 50 or 60. So, difficulty and XP gain speed used to be somewhat different.

At this point, yeah, you'll be outleveling the content very quickly if you do full clears and do side missions, but do them anyway: main reason being full clears help you with occasional uniques and currency, and side missions will often give you talent points, which are a huge deal. Running back to town to vendor is okay to do for a while as well, though just keep in mind that eventually you'll be swimming in naturally-dropped scrolls of ID and also in stuff like Orb of Transmutation, so don't worry too much about 'em, it does become pointless.

Also, due to some loot system quirks, you will sometimes find low level items even in high levels (and I think sometimes higher level items on lower level maps) so there's some RNG in play for that too. Oh yeah, and some of the uniques are actually low level, but very high power for certain characters and builds, so level isn't ALWAYS important either.

abija

Prophet
It's only on t15+ maps and endgame encounters where you start to feel that need for a 6-link and GOOD gear. Yes, it's easier in a trade league. No, it's not dependent on drops in SSF. You will HAVE to craft your own endgame gear here, no other way around.
In case you didn't get it I was talking about the actual map drops. I really hate it being able to do t15 maps and having to farm t8-t9 just because.

Newsflash, 99% (lol, ok, not really, closer to 75% probably) of your endgame upgrades in SSF will NOT come from drops - you will craft them instead.
Crafting with the limited resources you get in SSF is a whole different experience though isn't it?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Equipped Kaom from yesterday. Had to play some inventory tetris to cap resists and relocate skill gems. Good thing i'm running with oni-goroshi so i already have 6l for my main skill. Lost good chunk of damage reduction from body armor and most of ancestral warchief damage, gained some chaos res and ~1200 hp. At least now my jugg have 6+k hp. Damage is more or less same in game tooltip, but when goddess stuff proc it's now higher than before.

And that's why i play ssf. When you get something like this or Impulsa for my arc witch in previous league it's not something you can experience in regular.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom