Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Efe

Erudite
they should fix it regardless and then could explore options like rebranding it , ala underworld:reborn, so they begin with a clean store page.
nobody makes a new game for free just to make an apology

RapineDel

Augur
they should fix it regardless and then could explore options like rebranding it , ala underworld:reborn, so they begin with a clean store page.
nobody makes a new game for free just to make an apology

I only meant free for people who already own UA. No one who already owns that game would buy anything new from them so no loss there and at least something new might have a chance of creating sales. Polishing a turd isn't going to do them any good.

Terenty

Liturgist
Maybe they made them fix UA indefenetely, so when SS3 comes out and people start pointing out how shit Otherside Studios is, Warren will proclaim its a completely different team.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
According to the rumors (idk if they're true or confitcon) they didn't have money to pay the wages in the last 2 months or so.
And you're all talking about a new game, even a short one. They're broke, done. SS3 will save them but I don't think so. They won't recover after this extinction level cataclysm.

ortucis

Prophet
Read the Positive Steam Reviews and see if you can find one without the word "potential". They all acknowledge the game is a piece of shit but they talk about how there's potential for something good as though the game was still in early concept stages or something.

Majority of PC gamers these days :

EARLY ACCESS Game? - "Hurr, this is unfinished, needs more, what a disaster. 1/10"

RELEASED ALPHA Game? - "I know it's broken. But this has potential to be a classic. 10/10"

:deadtroll:

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Not at all equivalent. Trials of the Luremaster was made because people couldn't get enough of Icewind Dale. Nobody wants more of UWA or whatever else OtherSide can pull from their asses.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Although BIS even in their dying days had more resources/talent available than the clowns that did this abomination.
Black Isle was still fine when they were developing Trials. Torn's cancellation (the same month Trials was released) and Black Isle's First Layoffs Ever was the first sign of death.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
They're revising the game world into a cohesive dungeon, addressing one of the biggest pre-release complaints about the game:

Jan 22 Weekly Update

Hi everyone!

This week, we continue to work on improvements to the game for Update 2, coming early February.

Some of these improvements include:
  • Making the Abyss one cohesive dungeon

• Streamlining the first level of the game to include runic spell-casting and adding more narrative context to Marcaul

• Continued improvements to AI

• Improved main quest system

• Improved Doom Counter and faction favor system

• Adding in quicksave key bindings

& more that we're still working on.

We look forward to sharing Update 2 with you all!

Cheers,

The OtherSide Team

https://steamcommunity.com/games/692840/announcements/detail/1715210107925693422

Untitled.png

Eggs is eggs

Learned
What's the financial situation like for the company? I guess they expect people to keep buying it as they are working on it? Were they running out of cash and forced to release it as a beta to generate more revenue?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They're revising the game world into a cohesive dungeon, addressing one of the biggest pre-release complaints about the game:

Jan 22 Weekly Update

Hi everyone!

This week, we continue to work on improvements to the game for Update 2, coming early February.

Some of these improvements include:
  • Making the Abyss one cohesive dungeon

• Streamlining the first level of the game to include runic spell-casting and adding more narrative context to Marcaul

• Continued improvements to AI

• Improved main quest system

• Improved Doom Counter and faction favor system

• Adding in quicksave key bindings

& more that we're still working on.

We look forward to sharing Update 2 with you all!

Cheers,

The OtherSide Team

https://steamcommunity.com/games/692840/announcements/detail/1715210107925693422

Untitled.png

well, i said the only way to fix the game would be to totally remake it, so i guess if they actually do that then good for them, but they already burned all those fuckin bridges. nobody gonna buy underworld ever again

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, there’s a niche of some that don’t know or held off but not enough to recoup a loss. Never know though, enough people on say gog buy it for $0.99-4.99 and they might nickel and dime to breaking even.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
"Making the Abyss one cohesive dungeon"

Absolutely, without doubt, this means they are implementing the Grand Staircase. You heard it here first.

Nyast

Cipher
Good move, but just too late. Plus, it's only half of the problem. An interconnected empty dungeon is still uninteresting. They'd have to fill it with content ( NPCs you can talk to, quests, more varied items / puzzles etc.. ) for this game to even start becoming interesting.

Max Heap

Arcane
I dropped this thing from my harddrive.
Even with the grand staircase I'm not sure if I would reinstall it.
Technically that means a complete rework of the quest system.

If it's done well, that means you are sent from one floor to the other, finishing various quests at once, before returning to Marcaul.
If it's done badly, that means you have to run that stair case up and down everytime you take a new quest.

Knowing their original release I believe I already know where this is going.

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This has to be the most elaborate troling in the history of gayming. In secret, they have been working on the REAL game, but need more time before releasing.

FireKing

Reginus Maximus
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Cant wait till Warren Spector shits the bed

Was he even involved with development of the game? They mentioned him as a "creative advisor" which probably means he sent them a few emails with some ideas and that's it.
Exactly, it's the same with Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Crapatar. Was he ever truly involved? Funnily, he went from CEO to now Creative Director. I suppose Creative Director must mean you don't have to do shit but utilize my name to creatively direct more money to your vaporware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom