Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does anyone else have anxiety attacks around character creation?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
This is why we need more Traveler style character creation systems. Take the absolute control out of the hands of all the crazy faggots in this thread and force them to live with what the RNG gives them (or at least make things so stupidly tedious they'll give up.)

How would that be different to constantly rerolling? Surely people would just restart the game to get a new roll.

There's no point blaming the games for not accounting for every single form of human frailty. I admit, I don't understand the psychosis being talked about in this thread as I tend to go with my gut and get on with the game, even if I end up having a hard time I never reroll or start again and always seem to complete the game, but I can't see how anyone can argue it's the game's fault for allowing people to create whatever they want. Maybe some people are just more suited to Roguelikes than cRPGs.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is why we need more Traveler style character creation systems. Take the absolute control out of the hands of all the crazy faggots in this thread and force them to live with what the RNG gives them (or at least make things so stupidly tedious they'll give up.)

How would that be different to constantly rerolling? Surely people would just restart the game to get a new roll.

There's no point blaming the games for not accounting for every single form of human frailty. I admit, I don't understand the psychosis being talked about in this thread as I tend to go with my gut and get on with the game, even if I end up having a hard time I never reroll or start again and always seem to complete the game, but I can't see how anyone can argue it's the game's fault for allowing people to create whatever they want. Maybe some people are just more suited to Roguelikes than cRPGs.

Technically they could reroll to their hearts content, but by de-compartmentalizing their stats and have everything happen at once per "turn" it makes it much more difficult to min-max.

For the record I used to min-max and optimize parties when I was younger, but I learned that you get more challenge by going with the flow. Granted, some game systems are built around min-maxing unfortunately, but most are perfectly fine, and evn more rewarding without it.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Sometimes I beat off to pixellated Wizardry VI boobies while choking myself and clamping clothespins to my nipples. We all have our little quirks.

I don't have anxiety attacks, but I feel similarly about actually starting a new game. I'm dealing with a lot of stuff IRL and feel like I constantly have to weigh the pros and cons of starting a new game vs doing something else with that time. It's called opportunity cost and ironically it leads to a lot of wasted time.

Isn't that the damned truth. I've got 108 problems and a backlog is one.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Updated my journal.

Skimmed through a thread today filled with cuck-postings. Thought I was on reddit or RPGWatch. But no, it was the RPG Codex. Hard to believe people exist like this. Wish they'd get out of the genepool, but as Goethe said: the world needs queer birds. Glad to have a blog, where cucks can't get through the gate.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I get anxiety attacks whenever I can pick my gender. I can't decide what genders to pick!

Self-Ejected

Circuit the Short

Self-Ejected
I spend a lot of time planning and creating characters and restart games often just to get to the character creation screen again. That's just my favourite part of the rpgs.

Basically, the game of my dreams would be a very complex party creation system and a omega-like battle engine where you program your party with simple scripting language/visual blocks/whatever and then watch them clear dungeons and murder bosses.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
How about a game where you just create parties and as soon as you hit journey on it goes to another party creation screen. You’ll never know what happened to the old party.

Curlbrah

Educated
Really love the cuddly, positive, wholesome, tolerant atmosphere around here :) . rpgcodex sure has changed for the better. Kinda makes me secure enough to finally talk about my video game related "mental health" problem if you want to call it that way...
So it began when I was 8 years old. My mom just bought me a new SNES with Zelda and it was a BLAST, people. Luckiest day in my entire life. I still get goose bumps when ALttP music starts to play.
I grew up with two sisters, both total sweet hearts :) I fondly remember our times together playing Mario, Zelda, Dokey Kong, laughing, snacking just generally having a good time.
It was overall a pretty secure childhood, my dad spoiled me a little bit though. He constantly bought me figurines of Nintendo characters (Nintendo was my life back then), drove me and my friends to the playground, played with us for hours to no end. We secretly went to McDonald's once a week, just him and me. No sisters or mom around. Man, I'm kinda tearing up, RIP dad, you were a good one. :)
Well, back to this weird shit I've been experiencing for years now. So I mentioned that my dad used to buy me Nintendo figurines and stuff. He wanted me to keep quiet for making me lick his cock when I was 6. It was disturbing to say the least. I kinda started licking those figurines "down there" as well, since I wanted them to like me. Sometimes when playing N64 I positioned Mario in such a way that I could lick the TV where his no-no parts were. I'm now almost 48 and I'm a bit embarrassed how many times I've licked my Nintendo Switch.

sullynathan

Arcane
Just go with what seems cool. If you beat the game and like it, you can always play it again with newfound knowledge on the games mechanics. If you didn't like it then meh.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I usually have to take some Xanax by this point

Diazepam isn't as addictive as the short-acting ones but watch the fuck out. Take some 7.5 mg or 15 mg mirtazapine (hello Underrail) unless it makes you fall asleep.

that taking stimulants (ritalin, modafinil, selegiline, etc.) help

Fucking amphetamines (serotonin and dopamine levels) and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor. Just fucking great. For anxiety there are SSRI and who the hell prescriped you amphetamine?

NatureOfMan

Educated
I used not to until Dark Sun broke me and left me unable to complete the second phase of the final battle because my party wasn't multiclassed at all and apparently it was almost necessary to have them multiclassed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom