Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Wunderbar

Arcane
#metoo

Generic-Giant-Spider

-Zombies being a threat again is very welcomed, I love that paranoia you have where you're never truly sure if they're dead or not unless you see their brain splattered on the floor.
I don't believe you, zombies look slow, repetitive and incapable. Can they at least spit acid?

No they don't do any of the throwing up business but them being slow doesn't mean much when they refuse to die. The only way you can confidently know a zombie is forever dead is if their whole head is blown apart. Otherwise they can get back up and ambush you when you don't expect it. Also the shotgun is not the same godly powerhouse it used to be, you don't always get a guaranteed brain splatter with it.

Things like having Mr. X stalk after you can easily make you trip into one by accident or have it sneak up and rip a chunk out of you. When you do take aim you move a lot slower as well, if you stay still for a few seconds your aiming crosshair will shrink very precisely which will up your chances at criticaling them so there's a bit of a risk vs. reward thing.

What I eventually began doing was shooting a leg off them and leaving the room so I know they won't break out and fuck up my routes. I have more peace of mind knowing there's a room with crawling zombies for sure than running by a "dead" zombie in a hallway and suddenly getting grabbed by them.

Solid Snail

Learned
I just reached the sewer with the
alligator
and they turned that boss fight into a Crash Bandicoot segment. Didn't like that at all. Not that the original boss fight was so much better, it was relatively dumb, but I still prefer that to this run section.
I liked a lot the whole Police Station, got confused a couple of times on how to backtrack but I think I covered pretty much every puzzle here with no trouble, considering they were all very easy. I'm playing on Hardcore and I had Mr X the whole time on my steps while in the Police Station, it was annoying but not every dangerous, you can outrun him very easily but still I was pissed off because he simply wouldn't let me go until
Ada smashed him with the truck

I'm liking the game but it feels too much grey looking, dunno why.

The original is still ten times better for me, I still prefer it on so many levels.

Oh, can we agree the whole "discard the item where you don't need it anymore" is just stupid here? In the original titles the item was discarded automatically when you didn't need it anymore (the game asked you to discard it because it had no use anymore), here you need to manually select the item and discard it.

Viata

Arcane
In a way, I never liked in the original when the game asks me if I want to discard some item. I can see why this is good, as it remove useless item from your inventory, but still, I think it's way better when I don't know if I still need or not this item. That is just me, though.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Oh, can we agree the whole "discard the item where you don't need it anymore" is just stupid here? In the original titles the item was discarded automatically when you didn't need it anymore (the game asked you to discard it because it had no use anymore), here you need to manually select the item and discard it.

Yes, it is a bit perplexing as to why they tell you an item is useless but don't give you the whole "do you want to drop this trash" prompt like in the original. As for the alligator fight,

It's a funny little nod to how most of us probably cheesed that fight in the original by using the gas canister trick.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I finished Leon's route A, apparently took me 6 hours (in which I missed a lot of things, I still have an unused key from the sewer section). And... gosh, it's so damn gripping.

I really don't know where to start aside from acknowledging that the dev really put a lot of efforts into this game. It's been a long time since I played the original RE2 so my memory about it is hazy, but as cliche as it sounds, I can tell that the devs behind this game had to give themselves a lot of arbitrary limitation regarding game mechanics to stay true to original game's spirit while working out modern aspects that fit the old framework. The result is a game that has very little amount of handholding but a lot of guidances (hand written safe code on a board, for example, takes advantage of the transition to 3D environment). Although, I think the game could benefit from more challenging puzzles. There's a bit too many stuffs like straight up solution from pictures (the statue one for example).

The way the game handles encounters is amazing, in my opinion. I really love the fact that Leon is fragile (game over after getting zombie hugged 3 times) but there are a lot of ways to tackle them that I figured out by myself. The easiest method is give them a bullet in the head, they will be stunned in about 2 seconds to let you sneak through. Sometimes there's two enemies in front of you, but you can position Leon so only the nearest one tackles him, once he gets back up his animation will prevent the second one from grabbing him again. It also doesn't compromise for player's mistake. If you get grabbed from behind, you're fucked. If you get grabbed when not having a second chance utility like grenades or knife then you're fucked. If you get chased by Mr. X to a deadend then, well, check your map before heading into any path next time. Also fun thing, I like that the game has a rotate 180 degree button (most 3rd person games on PC don't have this function) so you quickly face the zombie's about to grab you from behind.

Because enemies are spongey as hell (so you should just spend bullets to stun them and run through) and they can totally get back up after being downed, I couldn't stop feeling uneasy even in pathways that I been through 10+ times before and learnt the layout in my palm. I can understand why a lot of people gonna call out bullet sponge zombies, but I honestly love its implementation here. The fact that enemies aren't easy to put down for good gave me a very agitated sensation despite knowing so many ways to avoid a fight, and ultimately, it ties to how well you can navigate the levels, how well you can manage your resource to minimize the amount of times you have to go through a high traffic path. There's a reason why the game let you go straight through a door without pressing a button after all, every step counts.

And when I thought nobody can touch me, that fucker Mr. X appears. He's unkillable and I love it. I love being a helpless cockroach that can only run like a rabbit whenever I hear that loud, rumbling footstep nearby. That's tension to the core. You have firepower but your foot are still your biggest strength, so I guess it's fair to say RE2 is the bestest definition of walking simulator :M

Also, I really really love how somber, tender and drab this game is. Take away the effortlessly written dialogue and you'll get a game that's entirely indistinguishable in tone from classic RE games and feels much closer to Revelations 2 which I loved a lot.

At first I was a bit wary but still leaned to the more positive side because unlike many others, I don't have a fond memory of RE2 like I had with Devil May Cry 3 so I treated the remake as a completely new game, what I got is a very well produced AAA game that impressively stayed true to classic traits. If I get to change anything in this game, I'd say remove autosave from Standard difficulty (it's already easy without constant save) or at least give custom difficulty.

Last edited:
They're a few ways they balanced the zombies to be more threatening:
  • they're an ammo hog to kill, it's easier to just blast their legs off or use the fragile knife when they fall down to kill them RE4 style.
  • the grab range time is longer and bit farther too, if i have to describe it the classic zombie grab was more like a single lunge. In this game it's more like a one second dash towards you.
  • Combined with the last point, they're still jukable but you need more room to do it and the lack of tank controls makes it riskier to juke zombies. It's very easy to get grabbed in the back when attempting a juke, which mean I can't use a defense item so I get bit.

Swigen

Arbiter
Game is alright. Would be god-tier if they made the following changes.

- Implement a Cover System - There’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to take cover in 2019, especially playing a cop. All you see in footage of real life shoot outs involving police is like 20 guys taking cover.

- Recharging Health - Again it’s 2019. Health pickups, especially in a game with limited inventory space is just silly.

- Unlimited Inventory Space - If you’re gonna have a “magic storage container” that teloports items you put in it to other magic boxes you mind as well just get rid of ‘em and make the character able to carry everything. Unless you enjoy the “fun” of backtracking to a magic box every 2 seconds for a door knob or a key or whatever the fuck.

- Lower the Camera - Camera is just an inch too high to be able to see Claire’s lovingly rendered booty. Why even bother rendering it if you’re not gonna show it off, even when she’s crawling. Tomb Raider portrays Lara as a “strong woman” AND has the camera pointing right up her ass all the time and nobody complained.

- More Upbeat Soundtrack - Add some Djent or Dubstep to the music score ‘cause the stock soundtrack puts me right to sleep. Am I shooting monsters in the face in an abandoned police station or am I riding a fucking elevator?

- Get Rid of Bullet Sponges - 7 shots to the head, zombie goes down, I shoot it 3 more times in the head while it’s lying on the floor ‘cause I don’t believe it’s dead, I walk away a few steps and wow how about that, zombie groans and proceeds to get up. Fucking ridiculous.

- Get Rid of Missing Items Puzzles - ‘Cause they don’t make any goddamn sense and break immersion. “Oho! Sorry, you can’t operate this car ‘cause the steering wheel is missing, maybe it’s in the police cheif’s safe”. Yeah, sounds about right.

- Open World or Budget Title - If you’re gonna make an 8 hour game that JUST takes place in one building maybe charge a more realistic price for it, say $10. After literaly every game this gen having an entire continent to explore this feels like an over priced mobile game.

But yeah, other than those minor issues the game is perfect.

Last edited:

Solid Snail

Learned
In a way, I never liked in the original when the game asks me if I want to discard some item. I can see why this is good, as it remove useless item from your inventory, but still, I think it's way better when I don't know if I still need or not this item. That is just me, though.
Well but the fact is in RE2Make you know when you can discard an item because the option to discard it appears while it wasn't available before, so there's

- Implement a Cover System - There’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to take cover in 2019, especially playing a cop. All you see in footage of real life shoot outs involving police is like 20 guys taking cover.

- Recharging Health - Again it’s 2019. Health pickups, especially in a game with limited inventory space is just silly.

- Unlimited Inventory Space - If you’re gonna have a “magic storage container” that teloports items you put in it to other magic boxes you mind as well just get rid of ‘em and make the character able to carry everything. Unless you enjoy the “fun” of backtracking to a magic box every 2 seconds for a door knob or a key or whatever the fuck.

- Lower the Camera - Camera is just an inch too high to be able to see Claire’s lovingly rendered booty. Why even bother rendering it if you’re not gonna show it off, even when she’s crawling. Tomb Raider portrays Lara as a “strong woman” AND has the camera pointing right up her ass all the time and nobody complained.

- More Upbeat Soundtrack - Add some Djent or Dubstep to the music score ‘cause the stock soundtrack puts me right to sleep. Am I shooting monsters in the face in an abandoned police station or am I riding a fucking elevator?

- Get Rid of Bullet Sponges - 7 shots to the head, zombie goes down, I shoot it 3 more times in the head while it’s lying on the floor ‘cause I don’t believe it’s dead, I walk away a few steps and wow how about that, zombie groans and proceeds to get up. Fucking ridiculous.

- Get Rid of Missing Items Puzzles - ‘Cause they don’t make any goddamn sense and break immersion. “Oho! Sorry, you can’t operate this car ‘cause the steering wheel is missing, maybe it’s in the police cheif’s safe”. Yeah, sounds about right.

- Open World or Buget Title - If you’re gonna make an 8 hour game that JUST takes place in one building maybe charge a more realistic price for it, say $10. After literaly every game this gen having an entire continent to explore this feels like an over priced mobile game.

Health recharge is in for the easiest difficulty, which is totally fine, having option is good, but this is a survival, I don't want magical health recharge. Also the cover system...RE was criticized enough when RE4 introduced a more action-oriented gameplay, add also covers in a remake of a classic game, since you are here add also melee attacks like in RE5, health recharge was already in, and we have Gears of War. Again this is a survival, unlimited inventory space is not an option. It's different having an infinite box in which you can store items, but since RE2 involves backtracking and dealing with enemies the point is to optimize your route in order to both backtrack less if possible and also being able to heal when you need. In RE2 even on hardcore the map lists all the available items in each location, like healing herbs, and this is another shortcut Capcom introduced expecially to give an easier time to people not into survival games. Zombie sponges, that's up to players. They could have introduced zombies going down with less bullets but at the same time giving the player more bullets like in the original RE2, but they made it harder here, which is totally fine.

It sounds like you don't want a survival horror, if that's the case play on assisted difficulty.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Speaking of difficulties, Capcom needs to seriously fuck off with their little "HEY YOU DIED LIKE THREE TIMES. WANT TO GO ON EASY MODE" shit. I don't know when this happened, I think it may have been in one of the original Devil May Crys, possibly Onimusha, but it irritates me. So many times I near accidentally choose "yes" because I'm just mashing through to get a reload quicker. Like listen Capcom you pint-sized passive aggressive crone-nosed dicklords, I chose normal/hard because I want it that way. I don't need to "rethink" my decision, I don't need you pushing your little gay casual mode on me, I beat games like Skate or Die and Bad Dudes, I deserve more respect. I don't deserve to be asked if I want easy mode because I made a poor decision. Let me live with my mistakes, you goddamn monsters.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Speaking of difficulties, Capcom needs to seriously fuck off with their little "HEY YOU DIED LIKE THREE TIMES. WANT TO GO ON EASY MODE" shit. I don't know when this happened, I think it may have been in one of the original Devil May Crys, possibly Onimusha, but it irritates me. So many times I near accidentally choose "yes" because I'm just mashing through to get a reload quicker. Like listen Capcom you pint-sized passive aggressive crone-nosed dicklords, I chose normal/hard because I want it that way. I don't need to "rethink" my decision, I don't need you pushing your little gay casual mode on me, I beat games like Skate or Die and Bad Dudes, I deserve more respect. I don't deserve to be asked if I want easy mode because I made a poor decision. Let me live with my mistakes, you goddamn monsters.
That prompt appeared for me after the alligator had chewed me...

... once.

f03.jpg

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

- Open World or Budget Title - If you’re gonna make an 8 hour game that JUST takes place in one building maybe charge a more realistic price for it, say $10. After literaly every game this gen having an entire continent to explore this feels like an over priced mobile game.

5a9a18d3ced42.jpeg

Tehdagah

Arcane
-Zombies being a threat again is very welcomed, I love that paranoia you have where you're never truly sure if they're dead or not unless you see their brain splattered on the floor.
I don't believe you, zombies look slow, repetitive and incapable. Can they at least spit acid?

No they don't do any of the throwing up business but them being slow doesn't mean much when they refuse to die. The only way you can confidently know a zombie is forever dead is if their whole head is blown apart. Otherwise they can get back up and ambush you when you don't expect it. Also the shotgun is not the same godly powerhouse it used to be, you don't always get a guaranteed brain splatter with it.

Things like having Mr. X stalk after you can easily make you trip into one by accident or have it sneak up and rip a chunk out of you. When you do take aim you move a lot slower as well, if you stay still for a few seconds your aiming crosshair will shrink very precisely which will up your chances at criticaling them so there's a bit of a risk vs. reward thing.

What I eventually began doing was shooting a leg off them and leaving the room so I know they won't break out and fuck up my routes. I have more peace of mind knowing there's a room with crawling zombies for sure than running by a "dead" zombie in a hallway and suddenly getting grabbed by them.
Sounds like having a decent aim is enough. Standing still isn't a problem when zombies are slow and have no long-ranged attacks.

I'd rather have bigger enemy variety and more enemies with smaller health bars, too.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Doesn't seem to happen if you're playing hardcore :obviously:

Generic-Giant-Spider

GUESS I'M A PUSSY, AREN'T I, HUH?

YEP, THERE HE GOES, GENERIC-GIANT-PUSSY PLAYING ON HIS NORMAL MODE. WHAT A JOKER.

fuk u dexter, fuk u and ur hot cop sister

Solid Snail

Learned
Dude, you're replying to an ironic post.
I failed miserably :D
Anyway my no box run on Hardcore failed miserably too the moment I reached the sewer, got stuck with my full inventory full of items I couldn't drop because collecting the chess pieces. So if you are grabbing all the weapons and upgrading them, you'll have an hard time on doing a no box run. Easiest wai is just grabbing one of the infinite ammo weapons you get by S ranking the game and use that for the whole game avoiding grabbing other weapons, on assisted difficulty should be a no-brainer.

But I doubt I'll replay the game anytime soon, both the police station and the sewers got me confused as hell, the thought of replaying this make me sick at the moment.

SumDrunkGuy

I wish there was an extra difficulty setting. Hardcore feels a little too, well, hardcore- at least for a first playthrough I mean. But autosave just sounds so fucking wrong in this type of Resident Evil, so I stubbornly refuse to lower the difficulty. I'd love for there to be some kind of middle ground difficulty between "standard" and "hardcore".

waterdeep

Learned
This game is a nice surprise. Not perfect but a good remake/reimagining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom