Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Yeah, the Djinn name in Ancients IV is of a different Djinn. ;) Still no idea where to find the name of the bottle djinn within the game.

Just threw that in as a bit of McGuffin, so people would try it for the Bottle Djinn. Comes in handy somewhere else.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, I know. The more interesting question is where the other Djinn's name is hidden. It seems like literally nobody could find it so far.

Outmind

Augur
I just started my first party and want to ask if I screwed the Aeorb sage named Knowitall by dumping all of his bonus points into hitpoints. This seemed smart at the time since he gets 1-6hp per level and now has 38hp at lvl 1, but then I started wondering if I'd set him up to struggle much more by not going he attribute route.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I just started my first party and want to ask if I screwed the Aeorb sage named Knowitall by dumping all of his bonus points into hitpoints. This seemed smart at the time since he gets 1-6hp per level and now has 38hp at lvl 1, but then I started wondering if I'd set him up to struggle much more by not going he attribute route.

No, that's a solid choice.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The Aeorb are very slow, but since spells are almost always cast after melee, it doesn't matter that much anyway. If you use music instruments with the Aeorb Sage, then it may be more of a problem that he is slow and you may not get those instrument crowd control attacks in before enemies attack.

But it's definitely a good idea to give the spellcasters the HP boost since they don't get many hitpoints on creation or on level up. The only other route would be to survive the beginning with not too many hitpoints and multiclass the spellcasters several times to get enough HP and much more Mana.

Jazz_

Arcane
How many skill points in swimming should I have to swim across the river in Chambers of Water? I grinded it to around 10-ish and they still can only swim 1 grid, grinding that stuff is quite tedious. Is there some trick I can employ to pass this section? maybe some spell or something? I was thinking maybe using a stepping stone would work but I don't have any.

Gunnar

Arbiter
How many skill points in swimming should I have to swim across the river in Chambers of Water? I grinded it to around 10-ish and they still can only swim 1 grid, grinding that stuff is quite tedious. Is there some trick I can employ to pass this section? maybe some spell or something? I was thinking maybe using a stepping stone would work but I don't have any.

You need to be able to swim 3 squares. You can find a turtle to sail around that area. You can use the Refresh spell to restore VIT, and theres a Waterwalking spell, but you don't get that until later on IIRC. There's also waterwalking shoes all over the place if you can find em.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Other than the refresh spell, you can also use food to restore VIT. Just make sure that everyone has more than a couple points of VIT and you will survive the next step.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is shit like this in Grimoire that drives me insane:

EEgTIZC.jpg

Yes, there is a dice roll. It took me 20 tries to get it. With a level 15 char that has maxed out skills and VERY impressive stats.

How many occurrences like this there are in the game? Where a 100 skill dice roll will fail and most people will assume it is a red herring?

Also, whatto shitto izu desu?

uc3RwQm.png

Any use for them, other than giving them back to the Khan or selling for $$$

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
It is shit like this in Grimoire that drives me insane:

EEgTIZC.jpg

Yes, there is a dice roll. It took me 20 tries to get it. With a level 15 char that has maxed out skills and VERY impressive stats.

How many occurrences like this there are in the game? Where a 100 skill dice roll will fail and most people will assume it is a red herring?

Also, whatto shitto izu desu?

uc3RwQm.png

Any use for them, other than giving them back to the Khan or selling for $$$

Put them on pedestals to git gud.

That's one of the hardest translations in the whole game. I think it takes a roll of 99 or higher.

That text for the Paragon was before I converted the gigantic chasm to a lava field in Grand Refuge. fixed it.

overtenemy

Augur
Bros, forgive me if this has been asked but I can't find anything concrete on the wiki or in the manual. It seems to me that when creating a character if you don't have sufficient points left over after accounting for class you aren't allowed to distribute them. The wiki says:

"If you roll less than 15 bonus points you do NOT get to assign the remaining bonus points, this is not a bug."

I just got a 46, a 46!!! on a giant metalsmith and it's not allowing me to distribute. That doesn't seem like it should be, considering you can get giant metalsmith on a roll of 30 according to the wiki. I tested myself that you can do so on a 31.

What's the deal with this? Why can't I distribute and what if anything happens to the points when I can't?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Giant Metalsmith gets no bonus multiplier and needs 30 attribute points. Since you rolled 46, you only have 16 points left.

The 15 points info is probably outdated, because now instead of a maximum of 32 points you can roll 48 points. Which means that Cleve probably adjusted the number of points with which you get no bonus to distribute. Instead of 15 points it is now higher, though what the new number is I don't know.

EDIT: Actually, the Giant Metalsmith should get a 1.5 multiplier bonus or +50%. So it means that you'd have 46 - 30 = 16 points, which are then multiplied by 1.5 = 32 points. This should let you choose a bonus to distribute. Maybe the Giant is bugged in character creation. Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I would also wait with character creation until Cleve fixes the bug that new characters don't get any skill points.

overtenemy

Augur
Interesting, the wiki says giant gets 1.5 for metalsmith on the chart. I guess I'll just wait for a patch regarding the skill points anyway, I was wondering what was up with that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I updated the best and bad combinations (it was incomplete for some reason):
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Prof...ombinations_.28Based_on_Multiplier_Bonuses.29

One thing I found is that Drows make excellent Assassins (1.8x multiplier). Though Rhattu, Feyfolk and Vamphyrs get that bonus as well AND have fast mana regeneration.

Also included those two tables from the manual instead of the old confusing one:
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Classes#Race.2FClass_Combinations:_Multiplier_Bonuses_and_Penalties

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Does anyone know if you continue getting extra skill points on level up (from the multiplier bonus) after changing to a different class?

Outmind

Augur
I started playing RPG's in the late 90s, so this kind of interface is very unintuitive for me. Here are a few questions I'd appreciate the answers to:

1. How do I view an item's stats? I've gone to both the equipment and item workshop menus and can't seem to do anything with the items there. When I tell a character to look at something, they're presumably searching their surroundings. If I set them to assay, nothing happens either. Would it have been so hard to put up the window for the currently known information on an item by right clicking it?

2. How do I use the identify spell, and following from that, how do I use the spell on enemies? My sage just learned improved identify which only brings up a magnifying glass in the bottom right of he world pane. The spell description says that it will remain active "until it succeeds" whatever that means.

3. Is there a way to find something more out about monsters other than their names? putting points into mythology lets me see their real names, but can i access info on their hitpoints, stats, and resistances somewhere?

4. What exactly do Litany and Necromancy do? I've been putting points in them for a cleric and necro respectively but don't notice any difference yet (they're lvl 4 and 3).

5. Is there any way of ensuring that cast offensive spells become more reliable? Afaik, there are no direct skills for the various schools of magic, only the one with the vague description of giving you access to more potent spells. Offensive spells cast at the lowest levels are resisted all the time regardless of the spell and creature combination while higher levels produce mixed results, either missing or backfiring being a much more common occurrence than scoring a hit... except for poison. For some reason, the necro can poison almost anything on her first try.

6. What is ancient history good for?

Also, why do you need a spell to get a compass? If the party knows where they are and the arrow on the local map points in the direction they're facing, why not simply have the compass on top of the legend? nstead I have to either cast the spell or keep looking at the local map.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I started playing RPG's in the late 90s, so this kind of interface is very unintuitive for me. Here are a few questions I'd appreciate the answers to:

1. Have a character with good assaying skill drag the item you want to identify onto the ASSAY icon. If you have the Super ID spell up, you could get more information (click on the information panel of the item to get a second page) or cast it right before looting a chest, and all items will be Identified. Further, they will be scribed into your journal under the list of items found.

2. As above, Identify spell is only for items.

3. That's what mythology does, it reveals the true name of monsters so you will recognize them in the future.

4. Spell-casting classes have specific skills that govern the effectiveness of their magic. Litany is for clerics. Necromancy is for Necromancers. Those professions need to boost up those skills (should be highlighted in purple) respectively, to get the most out of their magic.

5. As above, your offensive spells will be more effective the more points you put into the necessary magic skill. Upward of 20 to 30 points, to increase reliability and damage output. This skill is what matters most, and should be pumped as much as you can afford on each level up.

6. Ancient History is a skill used to decipher certain messages, that you will need to have high enough points, otherwise characters will not be able to read the message.

7. A spell required to bring up a compass goes back to Wizardry. It is the legacy of dungeon crawlers.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What or where is the Spring of Everlife?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom