Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Ebonsword

Arcane
ada is for weeaboos and losers (like leon), jill is too old, the true waifu has always been claire

Claire is the second choice. But she comes with Sherry as baggage so fuck that.

How is Sherry a downside? She grew up to be pretty hot herself.

db4de3c6f0ead0595afbf792f985f104.jpg

Latro

Arcane

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Disappointed with the second playthrough. Pretty clear it was just cobbled together at the last minute to placate older fans of the series with little regard to how it'd actually work. Mr. X has really overstayed his welcome by the second go through as well, and has just become an incredibly irritating, slightly faster zombie who won't leave you the fuck alone.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Disappointed with the second playthrough. Pretty clear it was just cobbled together at the last minute to placate older fans of the series with little regard to how it'd actually work. Mr. X has really overstayed his welcome by the second go through as well, and has just become an incredibly irritating, slightly faster zombie who won't leave you the fuck alone.
How does Mr X work specifically? In the older games there were scripted events when he showed up. But as I watched it in the new game, it almost seems like he is always on the level, hunting for the player. Can you defeat him temporarily or you just have to run away everytime?

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dunno about Leon, but for Claire, he kneels down and leave you alone for like ~30 seconds after eating 2 acid/flame rounds in the face, after that he's on the chase again. Walking won't alert him, running afar won't alert him, but he's attracted to gunshot no matter where you are in the area.

Steezus

Savant
Patron

I still think that Mr. X is great, I just wish he was beatable and would drop either unique items like Nemesis or ammo like he did in the original. You can game his triggers pretty well, if you know what you're doing, which is a big plus, gameplay wise. I barely encountered him on my Claire B run.

What I do agree with are the A/B scenarios. It's pretty obvious they decided to implement them pretty late into development. They insisted in all interviews that there would be no zapping system like in the original and at first, people didn't even believe reviewers who were claiming the opposite. I still take what we have now over nothing, but it's certainly a disappointment when the are huge logical gaps in the progression, like Claire and Leon both fighting the same bosses in the same locations or side characters dying twice.

All in all, I think it's a pretty fucking good remake, that could've been even better.

How does Mr X work specifically? In the older games there were scripted events when he showed up. But as I watched it in the new game, it almost seems like he is always on the level, hunting for the player. Can you defeat him temporarily or you just have to run away everytime?
That's pretty much it. When you first encounter him he chases you. If you do enough damage to him you can stun him, or you can just run away so he loses you. After that he begins patrolling until he finds you again and it repeats.
I'm uncertain if he legitimately walks everywhere or if he's capable of teleporting when he wants to. He can definitely teleport to certain scripted locations (one of the bonus modes is entirely linear and he teleports from behind you to in front of you, the cheat), but I don't know if he can do it when he's just randomly searching for you.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm pretty sure he teleports, because there is no reason for a game to keep him in memory when he's far away.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
There's a video of a speedrunner running into 2 Mr. X at the same time, so yeah, he definitely teleports. At least, if you are far enough away.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I'm pretty convinced that Mr. X teleports when you are not seeing him, but he is also scripted to explore the opposites zone of the police station. So there's moments when you don't hear his foosteps and you can explore freely until he comes back to explore that zone again. It's not like the Alien from Alien: Isolation, who tends to be always where you are (This is explained in that game through the plot, but I guess you get what I'm saying).

MapMan

Arcane
I'm torn on mr x. On one hand, during my first playthrough on HC, I had a few moments where he showed up and while not fucking me himself, he made me run in front of lickers or rush into a room full of zombies which ultimately lead to my death. That's good! On the other hand, on many other occasions he was just annoying and I had to lure him out of a puzzle room (e.g. library), cheese him around the stairs and back to library. I think a better approach would be to have him appear in scripted moments with some randomness thrown in, so that in one run he shows up in a certain place and in other he doesn't. Also he should be 'killable' like Nemesis was in RE3 - down him, he drops something and then he doesn't reappear until next major plot point or something. So yeah, it's a mixed bag but I do think that even in his current state, it's better for mr x to be there than if he wouldn't be in the game at all.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Two Mr.X actually makes sense.

One is killed by Leon and the other is killed by G Birkin.

There were even 6 Tyrants that were dropped over Raccoon City, at least in the original. It does make sense, but I don't think that's intended.

I'm torn on mr x. On one hand, during my first playthrough on HC, I had a few moments where he showed up and while not fucking me himself, he made me run in front of lickers or rush into a room full of zombies which ultimately lead to my death. That's good! On the other hand, on many other occasions he was just annoying and I had to lure him out of a puzzle room (e.g. library), cheese him around the stairs and back to library. I think a better approach would be to have him appear in scripted moments with some randomness thrown in, so that in one run he shows up in a certain place and in other he doesn't. Also he should be 'killable' like Nemesis was in RE3 - down him, he drops something and then he doesn't reappear until next major plot point or something. So yeah, it's a mixed bag but I do think that even in his current state, it's better for mr x to be there than if he wouldn't be in the game at all.

I did my two runs also on Hardcore and the library is defintely the part where Mr. X is a bit wonky.

Protip: You can push multiple bookshelves at the same time, so just set everything up before you get the jack and you'll only have to push a single time when Mr. X is around.

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
Is anyone else having weird brightness issues?

What's happened to me several times is that I will be checking my inventory or the map or something and, when I come out of that, the room will be way darker than it should be.

It seems to fix itself if I walk into an area with significantly brighter lighting, but it's gotten me into trouble a few times (it's hard to avoid zombies lying on the ground if you can't see them!).

Viata

Arcane
I had read that the two Mr. X appeared because the guy playing it used cheat to access places he wouldn't be able to with Claire. I don't know if that is true, though.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I still think that Mr. X is great, I just wish he was beatable and would drop either unique items like Nemesis or ammo like he did in the original. You can game his triggers pretty well, if you know what you're doing, which is a big plus, gameplay wise. I barely encountered him on my Claire B run.
I understand what you mean but his lack of beatability is kinda what cripples him as something to genuinely be afraid of or intimidated by, at least in my view. As you pointed out, part of what made Nemesis so intimidating was the risk vs. reward factor of going against him: you could just try to avoid him and hope that he'll eventually go away or you'd avoid getting fucked too badly by him, or you could take him head-on, remove him temporarily as an immediate threat, and even get a health item out of it. With Mr. X it's just all risk, no reward: he's never gonna die, you're not gonna get anything out of beating him, and at worst he's gonna just force you to take the most roundabout routs to achieve your objectives, and he won't ever go away until you accomplish them. Not saying it was a bad concept, just that I feel it was implemented poorly in the game.

Generic-Giant-Spider

A lot of what also made Nemesis work is that he straddles (yes I know that's a gay word to use) the line between urgency and overbearing. He's not overbearing to be more of an irritation and he's urgent enough that you can't just kite him around the Library while you move bookshelves. When he appears, everything in that room changes to just the Nemesis. Zombies and other monsters get obliterated if they get in his way and it's just you and that big motherfucker. With Mr. X, when he appears you'll have Mr. X on top of additional enemies all around that he becomes another obstacle to avoid. It's not just you and Mr. X, it's you, Mr. X, two lickers, and that zombie you forgot you shot the legs off of two hours earlier and left in a corner. In other words, Mr. X is a cheap shotting little bitch while Nemesis wants to 1v1 you all the time.

Latro

Arcane
A lot of what also made Nemesis work is that he straddles (yes I know that's a gay word to use) the line between urgency and overbearing. He's not overbearing to be more of an irritation and he's urgent enough that you can't just kite him around the Library while you move bookshelves. When he appears, everything in that room changes to just the Nemesis. Zombies and other monsters get obliterated if they get in his way and it's just you and that big motherfucker. With Mr. X, when he appears you'll have Mr. X on top of additional enemies all around that he becomes another obstacle to avoid. It's not just you and Mr. X, it's you, Mr. X, two lickers, and that zombie you forgot you shot the legs off of two hours earlier and left in a corner. In other words, Mr. X is a cheap shotting little bitch while Nemesis wants to 1v1 you all the time.
don't be mean to mr.x, if a zombie is in his way he will politely move him out of the way

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom