Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Odd quirks you have while playing RPGs

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I collect weapons, armour and anything vaguely useful. Then I dump them in storage, or better yet arrange them nicely if the game permit, but never use any of them. At the end of every RPG, I end up with a chest whose contents are equal in value to the GDP of a small European nation.

Cael

Arcane
I collect weapons, armour and anything vaguely useful. Then I dump them in storage, or better yet arrange them nicely if the game permit, but never use any of them. At the end of every RPG, I end up with a chest whose contents are equal in value to the GDP of a small European nation.
... What do you call Castle Britannia full of chests, each with 30 stones of gold nuggets?

And I once covered 3 planets with equipment I scavenged from dead enemies in Planet's Edge...

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ah yes the hoarding syndrome. I kind of have that too. I always keep at least one "copy" of each weapon and equipment, you know, just in case. Of course I will most probably never use any of these but still.
Also have to hoard all potions and scrolls, they might be useful some time

Cael

Arcane
Ah yes the hoarding syndrome. I kind of have that too. I always keep at least one "copy" of each weapon and equipment, you know, just in case. Of course I will most probably never use any of these but still.
Also have to hoard all potions and scrolls, they might be useful some time
Yeah. I am having it bad in Arcanum. I hoard every piece of junk I can on the off chance I would get a schematic to make something out of them.

My current character is a mage...

:deathclaw:

Cael

Arcane
Oh yeah, that reminds me of how I kill anyone that insults me in RPGs. Same reason why I never joined Legion in New Vegas, I was always too fed up with their shit on my very first meeting. Being a wasteland psycho is fun.
"The slaughter of Vault City has become the stuff of legend. One day it was a thriving community, and the next, the bodies of its citizens lay strewn throughout the streets. It looked as if raiders had sacked the city, but no bodies of the attackers were ever found. Their vault was plundered of all its technology, and the inhabitants of Gecko soon moved into the broken walls of the city. In a few short months, they had rebuilt the city and restored much of the systems that had been damaged by the raiders."

:M

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I never use ranged combat or spells on the main character. Always barbarian, always two handed.

Opposite here. Always mage, wizard.....or magic heavy party. Challenging when it is the most fun (game start), powerful when needed (game end).

Always try for a full mage/caster party. Even if it leads to dmg soaking problems.

Main char always a intelligent talker with low endurance/str/dex but max int/wis/cha even when those are dump stats

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I almost never buy equipment from stores ; I just don't get the advantage compared to stuff you can usually loot. Health/Mana potions, ressurect scrolls, or arrows though are okay.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
In every game with meaningful character creation, aside from spending several hours at making the first character, I also restart the game with a new character on increasing intervals. Eg. I play chapter 1, restart, play chapter 1-2, restart etc. up to somewhere around half of the game when I feel confident I know what it has in store for given builds, and I'm playing with a character getting the results I wanted. The characters themselves vary greatly, it's just that every game has a somewhat different approach to various character aspects.

For more typical things, I rarely buy stuff from stores, keep hoarding consumables just to end the game with 95% of them never used, and complete all side quests up to a point where they're just obvious garbage collection (get me 100 wolf pelts kind of shit).

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Do you have any strange habits or quirks that you exhibit when playing RPGs?

For example, with RPGs such as Pathfinder or Icewind Dale, those which simulate or at least resemble Dungeons and Dragons, while playing them, I take very frequent breaks. I mean we're talking like once every ten minutes, sometimes more frequently. I'm not really sure why I do this, because I want to keep playing, but I almost think it's my brain emulating PnP sessions where everyone wants to get up and take a piss or get some more Mountain Dew after a combat session or something? Like I said, this is for odd quirks.

List your individual strange play habits or oddities and why it is you think you do/have them.
I used to have very long gaming session where I would play for hours and hours and not move. But lately I've been taking frequent breaks while I play. Seems to help a lot

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If you don't horde stuff it can fuck you later on when you need something you should have got 20 hours earlier and I don't trust games to not make me walk 1000 virtual miles to go back and get it, or not let me get it at all without loading an old savegame and replaying the entire game again. So hording is the only option, and yet it if you do it you are fucked too because it is so tedious and so is inventory management. RPGs generally are dogshit.

I wouldn't mind it so much if games were hard and all the shit I collected came in really useful for tough fights, but I can't even remember when that has ever been the case. I think it happened in something... Maybe Neverwinter Nights or something, I seem to recall using various scrolls and things I had looted to help in some tough boss battles. But mostly games are like Dragon Age Origins where I spend all my time collecting stuff, then I complete the final battle first time and the end credits roll and I think.... But what about the 1000 potions I collected and the 5000 gold I painstakingly sold old junk to amass? In Fallout 3 I completed it with a packed inventory full of rocket launchers, flame throwers, grenades. thousands of ammo, that I had to obsess over every time I killed something.... should I keep this or sell it or ditch it and save my minigun for a time when I might need it? All that time and effort for nothing.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Oh, sometimes if the RPG allows it I'll collect various body parts. It's a hold-over from my Diablo PVP days when I thought keeping a player's ear was so cool and I'd just drop ears all over town to show people I was a stone cold motherfucker not to be trifled with. Nobody was ever impressed.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
At least in DoS2 you can eat the body parts and get some insight into the person it came from. But although I love that game, even that can't avoid all this annoying stuff I hate. Looting stuff and selling it is such a tedious painfully boring chore to me now. I never should have tried to do tradeskills too because that just multiplies the annoyingness 100 times. I started my second play through with a money cheat with the intention of not having to loot anything other than quest items, but it fucks up the balance because you can buy any gear you want and I had no idea of how much money I was supposed to have at that point. So my second play through never happened.

visions

Arcane
If I get to create my party I try to cover as much different races and classes as possible. Also I always try to have at least one reasonably attractive woman in my party (by reasonably attractive I mean that I don't count something like including a thri-kreen as fulfilling this criteria).

Also, if a game has odd races that aren't common in games, those races have precedence in my party. The last party-based crpg I played was Dark Sun: Shattered Lands so my party had to have a mul, a thri-kreen and a half-giant. The fourth character had to be a human, elf or half-elf female.

If I can include a male dwarf in a party without breaking the above principles, then I always will. I usually think of one character as my main char, the main char is usually some variation of dwarf, gnome, lizard, undead/necromancer, spellcaster, or a firearms guy. My main char is always male.

In games that give you random default character names, I always use them. If I have to think of a name myself, I usually just use my real name, an antiquated variant or anagram of it for my main char. If my main char is a lizard, I'll make my name weirder but start from my real name or a variant of it.

Another habit (I'm guessing this is common around here) is that I tend to hoard consumables. Also I'm very stingy. For instance I played Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory 1) last year and after I had discovered it I always rested and ate at Erana's Peace cause it was free.

Also I try to maximise the useful use of game time and get as much done within a game day as possible, this often amounts to wasting time in real life. Basically I postpone resting until it's night or I really have to cause I can't get anything done without resting. I usually won't waste consumables to postpone resting though. This doesn't apply in games which limit resting to campfires (Dark Sun, KOTC), in such games I rest always before heading away from the camp fire.

Also I avoid guides and if I accidentally read about an OP build (like in a forum thread) that I didn't think of myself, I usually won't use it cause I consider it cheating if I didn't think of it myself. This applies to first playthroughs or replays when I haven't played the game in question in years.

Also this:

If I get information from an NPC, die without saving and reload, I will go get that information again, even if no flags are being set and there is no in-game consequence to that particular dialogue, because my character still doesn't have that information.

And this:

Also, try to avoid going through the door I'm sure leads to the next part of the main objective. I'll leave that to last and explore all other directions first.

Freddie

Savant
Back in my PnP days and even today in cRPG's very rarely play pure fighter type of character.

When applicable I try to create character / party like in PnP (no endless rerolls) try to create characters that make sense, avoid power gaming

Beat games with suboptimal character / party.

Eventually learn builds anyway and practically powergame on replays.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I used to do everything BUT the main quest whenever possible, then do the main quest as a final option. I do that a LOT less now-a-days though because games started adding a ton of pointless shitty filler content. Now I tend to do the opposite and focus on main quests and companion/faction quests and ignore most others.

I always play a female rogue in fantasy games and a female spy/sniper in sci-fi/future games.

I never read books in-game but I'll read them off a wiki later on my phone in the shitter.

I almost never use consumables. Grenades, mines, potions, whatever. Even in the Witcher games I never used potions and such unless required to by the quest. I've just never found a game hard enough to require the use of said items and don't feel like bothering with them.

Lhynn

Arcane
Spend more time making spreadsheets than playing.

1.png

2.png
TFW you play a game where none of that matters.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
If possible I never give 2 characters identical stats or equipment.

I almost always build somekind of utility character, but I very seldom pick or use pickpocketing type skills; burglars are ok, but cut purses are not.

I try to hoard at least one of every weapon, armour and potion.

I get a strange and almost profound desire to jack off after playing female characters with somewhat attractive models/art.
It's honestly bizarre. Some of them include: Females in dragon age, Aela in skyrim, the Hellion from darkest dungeon and Miranda from ME2.

I can't do it anymore because I have a live-in gf but back in the good old days it be like that.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can never decide what weapons to use. It's like I suffer from a weapon identity crisis. Or autism. Daggers can't block bigger weapons, staves allow swords to slide down them to your hands, axes can be thrown but can't be used to backstab, Katana are the pinnacle of swordcrafting but I'm not Japanese so is it cultural appropriation? And if I'm roleplaying a character who can use a katana do I dual wield it with an axe like a gaijin/iteki barbarian and fail at larping...?
And then when I finally decide on something (like I'm gonna pick bastard swords or two-handed swords because I'm part Sicilian) I watch an awesome film like Blade Of The Immortal and instinctively get drawn to the superiority of the Katana again.

It makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
This is going to sound pretty odd... but I clean up the dungeons in games. That is, anything you can pick up, I pick up and dispose of or destroy. It's a pain in the ass playing FO:NV as all the fucking bent tin cans lying around, but there are a lot of garbage cans. Going to Cove in Ultima VII is a nightmare, as I have to clean up Lock Lake and it takes forever. Visiting Iolo's house there also sucks, having to hackmove all the sawdust. Its not a bad problem in PB games as they expect you to pick up everything and sell it later. Not a problem in Ultima 8, as you can destroy anything in water.

Damn, glad I got this off my chest.

Devoidless

Novice
I've done this in literally every game I've played where there are different starting classes to choose from:
  1. Start off as the class I think is going to be fun
  2. Play as that character for roughly 3 hours
  3. Delete character
  4. Rinse and repeat with every single class
  5. Re-roll same exact character as the original to beat game
Some games make this process much more time consuming than others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom