Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Update #34: Combat Demo Update - New Screenshots

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Looks interesting, but will this take the AoD route which gates off content into separate "paths" locked by stat checks?
I wouldn't describe it as paths but yes, there will be content locked by stat- and skill-checks, otherwise stats are nothing but combat boosters.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think one should undermine things such as a gameplay videos posted by the devs. Neither should one ignore social media or w/e. You should evolve with the times. I'd rather see a good, explanatory video from you guys than watch any streamer early on. You might not have any interest in it, but your customers and customers-to-be, are probably interested. I thought science was the worst subject in school but got top grades in all categories. One can't ignore the importance of some things even if you don't like them, or you think that those that follow you already get the game.

Of course, you do what you want. I like your written updates, but I certainly wouldn't mind a video or two before the game releases. You don't care to do it? Let someone else in the team make it. In my opinion, you should do as much as you can to promote your game and actually make customers see your enthusiasm. (it doesn't have to be cringy "omg, we're the best!!! epic, wow, boom!!)

This argument isn't just for videos or social media, by the way. In my opinion, you shouldn't settle with just, "the people who like us will buy the game", you should have bigger goals than that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Of course, you do what you want. I like your written updates, but I certainly wouldn't mind a video or two before the game releases. You don't care to do it? Let someone else in the team make it.
I'm not holding anyone back, in case that wasn't clear. We don't have a strict hierarchy or marketing departments that must approve things first.

This argument isn't just for videos or social media, by the way. In my opinion, you shouldn't settle with just, "the people who like us will buy the game", you should have bigger goals than that.
Naturally. The exact quote was "people who follow us know what to expect" not "will buy the game". From the max exposure point of view, when it comes to gameplay videos we'll never match the reach of the youtubers so why waste time? Not to mention that some folks can do super cool things that we just don't have time for at all?

Deleted Member 22431

I don't think one should undermine things such as a gameplay videos posted by the devs. Neither should one ignore social media or w/e. You should evolve with the times. I'd rather see a good, explanatory video from you guys than watch any streamer early on. You might not have any interest in it, but your customers and customers-to-be, are probably interested. I thought science was the worst subject in school but got top grades in all categories. One can't ignore the importance of some things even if you don't like them, or you think that those that follow you already get the game.

Of course, you do what you want. I like your written updates, but I certainly wouldn't mind a video or two before the game releases. You don't care to do it? Let someone else in the team make it. In my opinion, you should do as much as you can to promote your game and actually make customers see your enthusiasm. (it doesn't have to be cringy "omg, we're the best!!! epic, wow, boom!!)

Of course, why ITS don't do as bigger studios with tons of promotional videos? Probably because they are small studio and don't have the time or the resources for this. They are doing the game and you want them to stop everything they are doing because you think posting gameplay videos is what someone would do if they keep up with the times. Bunch of nonsense. Ask yourself this: what was the last time you decide to buy a cRPG because of a gameplay video? Don't bother, I already know the answer: never.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ask yourself this: what was the last time you decide to buy a cRPG because of a gameplay video? Don't bother, I already know the answer: never.
I always have at least a quick look at gameplay videos before buying a game, CRPG or otherwise.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One doesn’t have to churn out videos. A combat video here, a story video there. Doesn’t have to be a mega project. Combat demo is coming up soon. Let someone in the team make a video about that. Either in-depth or not. Usually, when I watch a streamer (which is rarely), I always go to check out what the developers have on their site.

I personally don’t need a video to buy a game, but it could help interest more people. You know you have people who know what to expect, but is that all you want? Or do you want more?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ask yourself this: what was the last time you decide to buy a cRPG because of a gameplay video? Don't bother, I already know the answer: never.
I always have at least a quick look at gameplay videos before buying a game.
Sure, but whose? Developers or trusted/neutral third party?
Fair point. Still, I believe a gameplay snippet on the Steam page matters more than Politician thinks. It's pretty ridiculous to think this game will only be bought by old-school CRPG enthusiasts. Either way I don't really care, it's no skin off my back if you don't do one.

Deleted Member 22431

What is vital when buying a cRPG are descriptions about the game content, systems, etc. I only watch videos if they do the same thing: encapsulating the concept of the game, the systems, etc. LPs never do that and I avoid them as fast as I can. Trailers are good when you have a game to sell. What's the point of a video that can't present the systems? ITS already did one. Did it make any difference? I guess not. So much for videos.

Deleted Member 22431

Fair point. Still, I believe a gameplay snippet on the Steam page matters more than Politician thinks. It's pretty ridiculous to think this game will only be bought by old-school CRPG enthusiasts. Either way I don't really care, it's no skin off my back if you don't do one.
But you need to differentiate between gameplay videos in general, such as LPs, and trailers. Trailers take time and resources. What is the point of making a half backed trailer of an unfinished demo?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
It’s up to Vault Dweller and co. to do what they want, as it doesn’t hurt me if they do or not. I still think a video every now and then doesn’t hurt. Post it on your social media channels. It’ll probably get news posts on some rpg sites. I don’t see the harm, but what do I know?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sure, but whose? Developers or trusted/neutral third party?
Of course. It matters a lot on Steam but we aren't there yet (we have a placeholder Steam page but we aren't selling or actively marketing the game yet). The upcoming combat beta release doesn't require a video and once the beta is out, there will be plenty of videos for folks to look at.

hpstg

Savant
I think the audience is pretty fucking big. At least a million people, which in indie terms, is massive success. Of course, many indies sell under 100k, some 10-15k, but not because they don't post gameplay videos.
That quote was ironic and going for Lurker King, who finds any kind of promotion abhorrent. I don't think you guys won't send beta codes or steam codes to specific people with wider audiences, it would be crazy not to.

Most people are easily impressed and have no personality. That’s why they defend all kinds of pointless endeavours even when it goes against the realities of what is at stake.

The audience is shrinking because (1) most people prefer to play games that are not governed by stats, don’t require a lot of text to play or learn; and (2) new potential cRPG players want to fit in and will repeat what most people do. Elitism has nothing to do with. We could all hold our hands and make a “We are the world” clip to attract new players and the result would be the same. It’s a politically correct fantasy to think otherwise and it tells more about your political preconceptions than the facts of the matter.
What the fuck have any political preconceptions to do with anything?

You describe the majority of people as uninteresting slabs of meat who are easily impressed, yet you (and your supposed non-existent elitism) of course hold the rod of enlightenment so far up your ass that you can't see that not only more modern games have become more stat-heavy, but whole publisher quarters depend on retards buying in-game objects to boost those stats.

Popamole crap like Assassin's Creed, free to play bullshit like Dota and League, even Call of Duty, Battlefront/Battlefield, practically all of the big console single player games for at least the last three years are stat and skill heavy, to the point that I want to play a fucking pure action game with good graphics and it's almost impossible to find.

I always have at least a quick look at gameplay videos before buying a game, CRPG or otherwise.

I do this for every game.

Never gonna trust ign again.

They said the cod would be good but they keep lying

Deleted Member 22431

You describe the majority of people as uninteresting slabs of meat who are easily impressed, yet you (and your supposed non-existent elitism) of course hold the rod of enlightenment so far up your ass that you can't see that not only more modern games have become more stat-heavy, but whole publisher quarters depend on retards buying in-game objects to boost those stats.

Popamole crap like Assassin's Creed, free to play bullshit like Dota and League, even Call of Duty, Battlefront/Battlefield, practically all of the big console single player games for at least the last three years are stat and skill heavy, to the point that I want to play a fucking pure action game with good graphics and it's almost impossible to find.
Of course a game can put some character screen in it, but that doesn’t mean it will really impact gameplay and punish the player for wrong choices. Do you need to plan a build in Assassin’s Creed? Come on! First you want them to drop the game to make promotional videos. Now you talk about popamole games being heavy. What is this, popamole revolution? How dishonest one needs to be to ignore the difference between sophisticated cRPGs and this pile of crap.

hpstg

Savant
Of course a game can put some character screen in it, but that doesn’t mean it will really impact gameplay and punish the player for wrong choices. Do you need to plan a build in Assassin’s Creed? Come on! First you want them to drop the game to make promotional videos. Now you talk about popamole games being heavy. What is this, popamole revolution? How dishonest one needs to be to ignore the difference between sophisticated cRPGs and this pile of crap.
First of all, I never said that they should ignore development over meaningless promotion. But, unlike AoD, this game seems to have the looks to go with its depth. It's a pity if they don't at least send some Steam keys to some larger channels. They don't need to compromise, nor lose time over it.

I'm not ignoring the difference, of course most popular games are playable of you don't try to game their systems. That doesn't mean that the average gamer now has a mid-2000s level of cluelesness about equipment stats, skill trees, and at least a superficial level of choice.

Most people will stay satisfied on that level, others will want something more. A game like the nu-XCOM, or even some pre-Andromeda Bioware stuff, did act as gateways to much more complex games, for quite a few people I know.

Vault Dweller

Developer
First of all, I never said that they should ignore development over meaningless promotion. But, unlike AoD, this game seems to have the looks to go with its depth. It's a pity if they don't at least send some Steam keys to some larger channels.
We will send keys to anyone who covered AoD and DR and will contact all YT channels covering this type of games. My comments were strictly in regard to us making promo videos ourselves and right now, which would serve absolutely no purpose as we aren't promoting the game yet.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
the best thing lurker king could do to help promotion of the game is stop posting in defense of ITS so that people stop cringing at his dumbass posts and associate them in any way with the games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom