Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Gerrard

Arcane

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
Finished 4 before 3 for some reason.

4 was ok - combat was good but some of the enemies and bosses were meh. Sanctus especially was shit. Didn’t enjoy playing Nero as much as Dante but didn’t hate him either. Did hate the level design however, the areas felt banal enough the first time and reusing them didn’t do them any favours. The shitty teleporting forest level, bashing those spinning top things around the castle, trying to hit those fucking sharks as Dante...ugh.

Half way (I think) through 3 and so far it’s major incline. Combat, level, enemy and boss design are all great. I hope 5 is as good as this.

:bounce:

sullynathan

Arcane

Gameinformer has the best amount of gameplay. I'm pretty impressed by all I've seen and heard.

There were a good amount and good variety of bosses shown from the first 11 missions they played.

It's confirmed that Geryon is a demon type and there's more of that type of horse because V fights an Angelo riding a Geryon-type demon.

The double saw demon seemed to be the most aggressive enemy type with a counter after they get knocked down.

V has a cool floor sliding which I really like but as we see, it's clear that he's likely mundus or someone more important because goliath and other demons knew him.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Played the demo just now. Controls were very familiar, but I could barely do anything with the limited unlocks.

It would be nice to see a statistic of how many players actually like this chromatic abberation shit. It's in RE2 as well. And every other game this generation.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I tried the demo, and like Ezekiel said, hard to judge the combat with the very limited abilities. The level was boring and the boss pretty cool.

I don't know what to think about the devil breakers being purchasable consumables. What's people opinion on this?

I get that they are overpowered if unlimited, but is not better solution to have "fuel" to utilize them like devil trigger has always been? It seems very lame to get to the store to stock on "ammo" for these abilities.

Suicidal

Arcane
Have they said anything about the difficulty levels? Game looks cool but every video I've seen looks like it's on easy/normal with monsters barely reacting to you. Is there gonna be a Dante Must Die or equivalent difficulty? Cause in every DMC so far all the difficulties before it might as well be renamed to tutorial mode.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
It would be nice to see a statistic of how many players actually like this chromatic abberation shit
Agreed, that shit makes the game look worse than it is.

I tried the demo, and like Ezekiel said, hard to judge the combat with the very limited abilities.
You can buy more moves in the store.

Liked the demo, still don't like the "Photorealistic" graphics. Other than that it's great. Had to increase the camera distance by 3 points and turn off that points of interest look nonsense for proper camera.

Martius

Liturgist
Have they said anything about the difficulty levels? Game looks cool but every video I've seen looks like it's on easy/normal with monsters barely reacting to you. Is there gonna be a Dante Must Die or equivalent difficulty? Cause in every DMC so far all the difficulties before it might as well be renamed to tutorial mode.
So far according to psn trophy list there will be at least human, devil hunter, son of sparda, dante must die, heaven or hell and hell and hell.

sullynathan

Arcane
I get that they are overpowered if unlimited, but is not better solution to have "fuel" to utilize them like devil trigger has always been?
Unlikely they would do that since devil trigger still exists in the game and nero can possibly get one later on.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
Breakers feel like an improvement over the awesome button that was the devil bringer in 4. At least there’s some risk and resource management to using them, not just...press circle to win. Adds a bit of variety to Nero’s more limited move / weapon set too.

Suicidal

Arcane
So far according to psn trophy list there will be at least human, devil hunter, son of sparda, dante must die, heaven or hell and hell and hell.

That's good to hear. I hope Dante Must Die will be Dante Must Die and not the new normal or something.

Martius

Liturgist
I dont think DMD was shown in previews but it still should be hardest mode (beyond gimmick ones like heaven or hell and hell and hell). From what I can remember DMC3 had standard names for these (easy, normal, hard) while in 4 these were changed to human, devil hunter and son of sparda.

I tried the demo, and like Ezekiel said, hard to judge the combat with the very limited abilities. The level was boring and the boss pretty cool.

I don't know what to think about the devil breakers being purchasable consumables. What's people opinion on this?

I get that they are overpowered if unlimited, but is not better solution to have "fuel" to utilize them like devil trigger has always been? It seems very lame to get to the store to stock on "ammo" for these abilities.

I don't see any problem with them being purchasable consumables. They throw them at you in the level, and you can store them in the shop for later; so maybe outside of first getting used to the game, or just really wanting one you don't have at that moment, I'm not sure they're really something people will be spending orbs on buying. I played through a few times and after awhile had a few stored up.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Finished my 2nd playtrough of the Demo.
It was fun.
The first time I was like "It was cool". In the 2nd time I started playing a bit more with combos and the devil breakers, and it was awesome. I managed to counter the fire balls from the boss among other cool shit.

The level design itself is very linear, and the enemies are clearly the weakest ones of the game. But still the Boss makes up for it, and the Devil Breakers are excellent. They give Nero a versatility and complexity that was lacking in DMC4. Pulling a Breakage move is more difficult than it appears since you can't be damaged while charging. And you take to much damage the Arm will be destroyed so that's neat as well (there were a couple of times during the boss this happened, and I didn't notice). But having to destroy arms to swap them, is kind of lame.
And as far as I can tell they made some other rather good improvements. Movement is much faster now, the camera is less annoying and the guns are actually a worthwhile way to do some damage and not just look cool.
There has been people saying the gameplay is slower in comparasion to DMC4, but after playing it I didn't motive any difference.

Since Nero lost his arm, does this mean he's lost Devil Trigger? I hope not since his Devil Trigger was the best in series so far, because it gave him a lot of DT only moves.

Also can't complain about the visuals. I think the game looks very pretty. However they need to increase the music volume, because in the middle of the combat I sometimes can barely hear it.

All in all, I am glad I pre-ordered it - was only 30 jewros so...

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
1549744493993.jpg

There's been a large variety of enemies shown so far, even though a few of them are just super versions of normal enemies. The bosses are more interesting since there are 10 bosses revealed so far.

Within the first 11 missions you'll fight most of the bosses revealed and Urizen will be fought three times. If we assume that those 11 missions are just half the game, then that means there will be even more bosses which will be great. Hopefully all the bosses are good quality and don't heavily repeat themselves. I'm sure we'll fight Urizen even more times, but I'm gurssing a Vergil fight will also be there somewhere.

Ivan

Arcane
:shredder::yeah::takemymoney:

a purchase not only shows our love for DMC but will also steamroll the inevitable Dragon's Dogma 2

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Played the demo a 2nd time and started experimenting more with the robot hand. I got the most mileage out of the one that lets you do aerial evades, at least versus Goliath it felt really powerful. Felt like I was taking a little puppy out for a walk with that. This game is gonna be mad fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom