Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I will bring buttons back

Buttons

• Total voters

Generic-Giant-Spider

Life hasn't been the same ever since they took down geocities.

Rakshar

Educated
Patron
If Nano completes his task within 7 days, I shall return buttons.

If Nano fails to complete his task within the next 7 days, the buttons demand a sacrifice. If Nano fails his quest, and this post receives 150 brofists within the next 7 days, I will ban Nano and return buttons.

Which will happen first? Will Nano save the buttons and himself, will the Codex demand Nano be sacrificed, or will buttons begone forever?

Stay tuned to this exciting thread for further developments.
53 brofists total so far. Keep up the good work all! Then the button reinfestation can commence!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I probably won't quit entirely. As I said in my first post (hours ago), I'll probably get back into the mood someday. But right now, the thought that the cretins over there will get use out of my sweat and hard work just nauseates me. I'll probably keep doing it for you guys eventually (and thanks for the support) but it's going to be a while before I can enjoy anything to do with this. The assholes have pretty much destroyed my desire to work my ass off so that they can use my work while heaping abuse over trivial bullshit. I probably won't quit entirely. As I said in my first post (hours ago), I'll probably get back into the mood someday. But right now, the thought that the cretins over there will get use out of my sweat and hard work just nauseates me. I'll probably keep doing it for you guys eventually (and thanks for the support) but it's going to be a while before I can enjoy anything to do with this. The assholes have pretty much destroyed my desire to work my ass off so that they can use my work while heaping abuse over trivial bullshit. For some strange and whacky reason, it doesn't seem worth the while anymore.

What happened, hello friend? This reads like somebody hacked your account. Yeah, there are some cretins on the Codex, but also some worthwhile people from around the world.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Should've realized this place has no redeeming quality months ago. Even the lack of moderation that means you -could- get really good blowout heated arguments over interesting shit is wasted, cause you're all too busy proving how cool you are by not caring about anything - except, of course, the desperate desire that everyone think you're cool for not caring about anything. I noted that as the common defining characteristic of the typical Codexer in my last big argument on this board, actually... should've left then.
143ksky.png
Only 90s kids will remember this
hello friend,

Not all are like that
Because you're cunts. Cunts who I don't -want- to give any pleasure in life. Cunts who live to aggravate me after I've spent a fucking year fixing bugs in their favorite game.

but how are you going to participate in Codex DoW League Season II if you leave?
I probably won't quit entirely. As I said in my first post (hours ago), I'll probably get back into the mood someday. But right now, the thought that the cretins over there will get use out of my sweat and hard work just nauseates me. I'll probably keep doing it for you guys eventually (and thanks for the support) but it's going to be a while before I can enjoy anything to do with this. The assholes have pretty much destroyed my desire to work my ass off so that they can use my work while heaping abuse over trivial bullshit. I probably won't quit entirely. As I said in my first post (hours ago), I'll probably get back into the mood someday. But right now, the thought that the cretins over there will get use out of my sweat and hard work just nauseates me. I'll probably keep doing it for you guys eventually (and thanks for the support) but it's going to be a while before I can enjoy anything to do with this. The assholes have pretty much destroyed my desire to work my ass off so that they can use my work while heaping abuse over trivial bullshit. For some strange and whacky reason, it doesn't seem worth the while anymore.
COOL STORY BRO
God I neeeeeeed the buttons

Trithne

Erudite
Honestly though... isn't there any nutjob with money on this site to find out where DU lives and just see if he can get fucked for trying to coerce someone to do something irl? I bet that files under some kind of cyberbullying law somewhere...

awh, but who fucking cares...

:love: here's a picture of Annah :love:

Annah-of-the-Shadows_concept.png

That's not a picture of Annah, that's a jpeg artefact.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have a feeling that 90% of button hatred is just butthurt over negative ratings and 10% is people on potatoes, worried about performance.

It does cause bad performance, namely due to the fact that there are a large amount of animated buttons, and constantly updating them (even if they're completely invisible), kind of adds up..

There is a workaround that involves injecting this bit of CSS into the page to properly hide the ones that can't be seen, via Stylus or some other browser extension.
Code:
  /* curb the worst excesses of the ratings */
  ul.dark_postrating_inputlist[style*="opacity: 0;"] {
    visibility: hidden;
  }

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I only truly appreciate the brofist.... but there needs to be something to show someone your utter disappointment and disgust...
Maybe an: Aidsfist?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It does cause bad performance, namely due to the fact that there are a large amount of animated buttons, and constantly updating them (even if they're completely invisible), kind of adds up..
I notice no difference and I suggest you spend more on either internet, your potato or both.

The guy who designed the addon measured the difference serverside and it's minute.

h8EfxzA.png

So the problem is entirely on your end.

Frankly, the only load time issue I have is with the embed script for media embeds from twitter etc. The script constantly crashes, times out etc.

Of course no one screams about that because twitter embeds don't rate your posts shit, butthurt or retarded.
There is a workaround that involves injecting this bit of CSS into the page to properly hide the ones that can't be seen, via Stylus or some other browser extension.
eh? why not just make a block rule for ul.dark_postrating_inputlist? It would do about the same as your script, since all your script does is change the visibility. You could even block the icons individually so they don't load.

anyway, proves my point, they are perfectly removable and several users have used methods similar to this to remove them.

no need to ruin everyone else's button parade just because you're a button hating sourpuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astral Rag

Arcane
I only truly appreciate the brofist.... but there needs to be something to show someone your utter disappointment and disgust...
Maybe an: Aidsfist?

Same here and I'm very glad that the parade has finally left. That said, I think 1 (one) negative rating like that would come in handy. For example, I would use it to rate the anime and popamole garbage that keeps popping up in the screenshots and random images thread.

Quoting each and every one of those posts just to say they're decline and disgusting is too labour intensive for one man.

Bohr

Arcane
We had that dual rating system once before... except the two were parrot and agenda :M

hello friend

Arcane
Goodbye hello friend.

What happened, hello friend? This reads like somebody hacked your account. Yeah, there are some cretins on the Codex, but also some worthwhile people from around the world.
I'd like to apologize for the drama of a couple of days ago. I've got a latin temper when confronted with fools, and in that situation, it was idiot overload.

I could go on rebuking the ridiculous BS from "over there" (like repeatedly describing posts between 3-9 lines long as "walls of text" dry.gif ), but really, the vast majority over there, with very few exceptions, are beneath contempt. It can be hard to remember at the time, but their goal is to create drama, and if they have to slander to do it, they've got no problems with that. They say Imitation is the Highest Form of Flattery, but being reviled by that crowd comes a pretty close second. After thinking about it for a while, I realized that if they liked me over there, that'd be far more reason to worry. I now rightly consider their hate and mockery a badge of honor. I just sometimes have trouble remembering the first rule of the flame war: "consider the source".

HeroicBloodshed

Learned
I don't think I would mind them much if they weren't so overused
Again, you can hide it with adblock. No excuse.

You're just butthurt when people rate your posts negatively. Admit it.

The problem isn't that some people can hide buttons, it's the changes it makes to posting habits and who the site attracts. It's that the codex is less a discussion board and more some kind of social media analogue.
People are less posting to talk about shit with mates but instead trying to make every post maximise ratings. It's obvious.

Buttons have added some kind of social feedback mechanism to the site where, to varying extents, everyone is less focused on discussion and are instead trying to get more ratings to appease their fucking monkey id.

HeroicBloodshed

Learned
If someone already made the argument, I don't need to restate it myself. If what I want to say can be expressed with a button, it doesn't necessarily need a post.
If someone already made the argument I can read it myself, and respond if I disagree. Posting :retadred: isn't an argument, and enables retards to have a say without adding new arguments and putting themselves on the line.

What did lurkers ever do to you? They just want to read posts. Why are you upset over people who don't even do anything? Do you think they don't deserve to be on the Codex unless they ‘contribute’?
They negatively affect posting by enabling button-whoring and by giving positive/negative feedback to posters they don't actually engage with real reasons and arguments.

Cael

Arcane
I don't think I would mind them much if they weren't so overused
Again, you can hide it with adblock. No excuse.

You're just butthurt when people rate your posts negatively. Admit it.

The problem isn't that some people can hide buttons, it's the changes it makes to posting habits and who the site attracts. It's that the codex is less a discussion board and more some kind of social media analogue.
People are less posting to talk about shit with mates but instead trying to make every post maximise ratings. It's obvious.

Buttons have added some kind of social feedback mechanism to the site where, to varying extents, everyone is less focused on discussion and are instead trying to get more ratings to appease their fucking monkey id.
The main problem with negative buttons is that it gives assholes and butthurt children a means to harass those they deem to have somehow slighted them. Since I have been here, I have noted at least 6 campaigns by several posters against people they don't like. Lambchop or Lady Error or both were the victims of such a campaign, which only stopped when the mods "negotiated" with the prick involved and gave them their Literal Hitler title in return for the asshole stopping his campaign. Atlantico has at least two posters in his sights that he down votes religiously, actually surfing threads for posts he can down vote, regardless of what was being said.

Stalkers who harass others by following them from thread to thread and aggressively attacking them via actual posts can be shown for the idiots they are. Archangel, for example, got so butthurt that he started stalking a poster and was told to fuck off by at least one other poster for being a butthurt bitch.

Negative buttons allow for harassment without the possibility of any recourse, especially given that some of the mods here are biased as hell, as proven by my sig, and have their own little cliques that they will defend to the death. As such, these buttons are cancer to any forum that tries to foster free speech and open communication. Getting rid of them, even to the point of just brofists, is a good thing for debate and openess. If DarkUnderlord wishes to bring back buttons, I hope he will only bring back those which are positive (brofist, incline, funny, etc.) or neutral (e.g., agree, disagree, yes, no, etc.), and leave out those that can be abused (e.g., retarded, autism, shit, etc.).

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah, that abuse of negative buttons is probably the reason why other forums removed it as well. Likewise in here when only brofists exist.

One problem with only positive ratings though is: let's say someone posts shit, then another responds to him and puts a huge shit-picture into his post -> as a consequence everyone brofists him. So it causes indirect attention whore brofist harvesting. Despite it's less prone to abuse.

So yeah, there should be something for disagreement, but which buttons should remain?... brofist, disagree, funny, sad/despair, shocked/wtf? A handful would be enough probably.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Said it in shoutbox, I would be in favor of a more limited button parade of Brofists, yes/no (nice because of all the yes/no questions), citation needed (for screenshot thread alone), and prosper (great for both autistic and horrific content, also is fun to call people out for like potato faced monstrosities in the women you find attractive thread). Balanced is fun as well but I could live without it.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah, that abuse of negative buttons is probably the reason why other forums removed it as well. Likewise in here when only brofists exist.

One problem with only positive ratings though is: let's say someone posts shit, then another responds to him and puts a huge shit-picture into his post -> as a consequence everyone brofists him. So it causes indirect attention whore brofist harvesting. Despite it's less prone to abuse.

So yeah, there should be something for disagreement, but which buttons should remain?... brofist, disagree, funny, sad/despair, shocked/wtf? A handful would be enough probably.
I am not sure which should remain, but I know those that should not remain: retarded (the harasser's favourite), shit (another favourite), racist (used by the prick in the Lady Error/Lambchop campaign, hence their title), autism (a favourite of a mod)

There are probably others, but I haven't memorised the buttons list. These are memorable simply because they are favourites of harassers and so turn up most often.

Cael

Arcane
Said it in shoutbox, I would be in favor of a more limited button parade of Brofists, yes/no (nice because of all the yes/no questions), citation needed (for screenshot thread alone), and prosper (great for both autistic and horrific content, also is fun to call people out for like potato faced monstrosities in the women you find attractive thread). Balanced is fun as well but I could live without it.
Proper would be abused to hell instantly. When we have harassers rating every post of a poster racist, regardless of what was being said (it could be "the sky is blue" and the racist tag will be slammed on it), then the only way to prevent such abuse is to remove the rating itself.

muckguppy

Prophet
forget buttons, delete shoutbox.. the true cancer of rpgcodex!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom