Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DIfficulty levels without stat-padding

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm not sure this has been done before, but are there any non-roguelike games that build encounters from scripts or it 'buys' the enemies from a pool of points? It would make games more replayable if you can't guess what it has decided to throw at you for this encounter. This would be for non-random encounter games like DoS or PoE

Darth Canoli

Arcane
WHich CRPGs out there have the best difficulty levels without resorting to padding the stats of the enemies? I'm looking at improved AI or adding more enemies etc.

To my knowledge most game designers go the easy way and use stats and even worse HP bloat in higher difficulties.

It's a shame because i remember AI improvements was a big thing in the 90's, unfortunately, it's too difficult to handle for game developers and we can see why by assessing the low quality of AAA cRPG games nowadays.

You can talk about Dark Souls or JRPGs if you wish, but I'm asking about traditional RPGs like PoE, Divine Divinity etc

:deathclaw:

That settles it ...

Guild Wars did stat pad for hard mode but it also did a bunch of non-stat-padding stuff like giving enemies better skill bars (especially in normally low level areas), making them get out of DoT AoE faster, making them kite more effectively and stay aggro'd for longer, etc. On the player side of things, accruing too much death penalty (a stat debuff when resurrected) would lead to failing the mission or explorable area.

One of the stat buffs they gave the enemies, a skill activation speed bonus, actually did change the dynamics of the game somewhat because it meant they'd do a better and faster alpha strike at the start of combat, would be harder to interrupt, could apply defensive and restorative spells more quickly, and would in general force players to be more on their toes.

This paired with the extended skill bars and better AI made a lot of areas play quite differently than they did on normal mode.

Then nu-ArenaNet shat all over that by adding consumable buff items and going all-in on the class update power creep, but it was good while it lasted.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
If I recall correctly, Hard and PotD for both PoE games does improve AI and throws in more enemies. PotD does stat pad, like tactician mode for DOS2
Yep. PoE only adds padding on the path of the damned. For every other diccultiy they change the mobs and enemies. Its cool.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dragon Age enabled friendly fire on higher difficulties (IIRC). On lower difficulties you could just spam fireball on your melees without consequence.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm not sure this has been done before, but are there any non-roguelike games that build encounters from scripts or it 'buys' the enemies from a pool of points? It would make games more replayable if you can't guess what it has decided to throw at you for this encounter. This would be for non-random encounter games like DoS or PoE

Like a miniatures game?

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
You can see it like the tables used for random encounters in the old D&D table-top game. Would make 'trash mob' fights a lot more interesting if you're not sure what will turn up on the next play through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom