Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Well... if they're all so greedy and don't want to back down even a tiny little bit, then I slowly start to sympathize more with the Epic Store.

"Industry standard" my ass... who says 30% is an industry standard? Developers had just no other choice than to accept these terms to get any visibility. But these distribution platforms could have also made the "standard" 20%.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Well... if they're all so greedy and don't want to back down even a tiny little bit, then I slowly start to sympathize more with the Epic Store.

"Industry standard" my ass... who says 30% is an industry standard? Developers had just no other choice than to accept these terms to get any visibility. But these distribution platforms could have also made the "standard" 20%.
On PC, these developers are free to sell their games on their own sites for 100% of the money. They're not owed anything despite what gamejournos would have you believe.

RapineDel

Augur
Fingers crossed they spend their time bribing shitty mobile developers then and keep their Fortnite money away from PC games.

Gerrard

Arcane
They did but not anymore.
http://archive.is/42pDf
IMHO Valve should still decrease their cut to 15 or 20% and they would still do fucking amazing. I don't really see why not.
They already did lower it to 20%/25% for the bigger sellers. I imagine they'll hold off on doing anything permanent until they see how that does. We're talking 10s of millions(if not hundreds of millions) of dollars in just a 10% lower cut. Not something you change lightly.
Damn this is awful. Big sellers have privileges but fuck everyone else?
Welcome to economics, retard.

ortucis

Prophet
You do realize that higher steam percentage means developers add that to the game price, right?

Not necessarily. Some devs might price their product in accordance to the market. Some might not. If a game normally goes for $30 on Steam, as a dev why would I price it lower on Epic if I’m confident it will sell?

Also, does Epic have a slew of cheaper games I’m not aware of? I’m specifically talking about the same games being overall cheaper on Epic compared to Steam.

Finally, you’re missing the point here. It’s just ONE factor of many. But sure, if I see lower overall prices at Epic I’d start to pay attention.

I never said that just because game is on Epic store, it would magically be much cheaper.

Many developers price their game keeping the store percentage in mind. Why do you think on places like Itch.io they prefer default 10% to the store? These companies take 30% for doing jack shit while gamers start whining at anything Indie priced over $10 while paying $60 for "AAA" games.

There's a reason why a lot of developers are pissed off at Valve's cut.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Speaking of distribution platforms,i am yet see one that could do updates and patches half decent. GoG is retarded,if you stop midway you can't patch it because meh installer doesn't detect the right patch version. While steam is duh you need 130 GB to install that 20 MB patch. Both of them are totally retarded systems. The GoG one could be fixed with force patch option that just copy the files where the user say it needs them.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

On PC, these developers are free to sell their games on their own sites for 100% of the money. They're not owed anything despite what gamejournos would have you believe.

Don't be ridiculous. People are overwhelmed by buying on 5 websites already, now imagine them having to buy on 1000 different websites.

Mustawd

Don't be ridiculous. People are overwhelmed by buying on 5 websites already, now imagine them having to buy on 1000 different websites.

They’re overwhelmed on having to install 5 different programs and have different libraries. Yah, that’s a bit much.

Compare that to buying it once from the devs. But I do agree it is more of a pain in the ass. I would have bought KOTC a long time ago if it was on GoG or on Steam (or even *GASP* Epic Store), but I’m simply too lazy to do all that via his website.

racofer

Thread Incliner
wF2YAFM.jpg

visions

Arcane

As long as I can get a download link to the game with no DRM, I have no problem with that (Like it was with KOTC for example. Hell, I even bought Spiderweb games from Vogel back when he didn't use Steam or GOG and used to mail the CD-s, same with Tom Proudfoot and Natuk).

The multitude of different launchers and different storefronts that require an user account is what annoys me.

Turjan

Arcane

Paradox also have their own launcher and sell their games for that one, too. Games like BATTLETECH, Surviving Mars, Stellaris or Tyranny are on there. Same price as Steam, all money for them.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Btw as Deep Silver and Koch Media are owned by THQ Nordic it could also mean that Aquanox 3 will be published on Epic Store pre-exclusive...
rating_negativeman.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Btw as Deep Silver and Koch Media are owned by THQ Nordic it could also mean that Aquanox 3 will be published on Epic Store pre-exclusive...
rating_negativeman.png
Doubt it,THQ were pretty unhappy with the whole thing. Metro must sell really well to do this shit again.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is the preload stuff really important, considering it will probably all be encrypted and you'll spend just as much time decrypting as you would downloading. Like it always happens.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Is the preload stuff really important, considering it will probably all be encrypted and you'll spend just as much time decrypting as you would downloading. Like it always happens.
That depends on what kind of internet connection you have and how fast your PC is at decrypting, though. Preloading is primarily for just having less stress on the service servers on the release day, which is why Valve only really allows it for really major releases and not any small indie game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For Ubisoft, switching from Steam to Epic is giving a great boost to their own store: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-moved-the-division-2-to-the-epic-games-store

Why Ubisoft moved The Division 2 to the Epic Games store
CEO Yves Guillemot praises Epic's terms, but says move was to "increase player exposure to our own store"

Ubisoft's financials held steady in Q3, but CEO Yves Guillemot is anticipating "record performances" in Q4 and for the full-year. If this comes true, it will be in no small part due to Tom Clancy's The Division 2's late March release, which is already looking promising for the company.

During today's earnings call, Ubisoft reported that The Division 2's beta had seen a record number of players for an Ubisoft beta. And that wasn't the only positive sign. Guillemot reported that things were going especially well on PC - a somewhat surprising sign given that Ubisoft decided to ditch Steam for this release and put the game only on its own store, UPlay, and the Epic Games store instead.

Guillemot explained the company's decision as a way to drive more people to its own store, and offered numbers to support how well the decision was working out.

"There are a growing number of distribution platforms fighting for great content," he said. "With this deal, we saw an opportunity to increase player exposure to our own store while at the same time supporting a partner that greatly values our games and provides better terms. Early indications are supportive, as PC pre-orders are higher than for the first Division, and pre-orders on the Ubisoft store are six times higher. We believe this deal is a long-term positive for Ubisoft."

The Epic Games store takes only a 12% cut of developer sales, as opposed to Steam's base 30% (and, for bigger sellers, tiered system bringing it to as low as 20%), though the looming question remains whether it can attract a large enough audience to make that higher cut profitable overall for developers.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think this whole Store Wars drama shows we have reached a point where the market is oversaturated and the audience is exhausted. Moving from a store that charges you 30% of the final price to your own store is a sign that they see increasing the audience as being in the mid-term less profitable than increasing revenue through cutting down on the store's share of the price. I.e. they are ready to lose audience in the short term, but gain a higher price per copy sold in the mid term. Itz happening, they are starting to stagnate. :)

AwesomeButton

Patron
Until they start court japanese developers i don't care about store wars. At all.

I'm pretty sure they already did.

I imagine Kingdom Hearts 3, an Unreal Engine 4 game, only on Epic Store.
Speaking of which, jeez imagine the Unreal Engine license coming with an exclusivity clause for the Epic store, or at least with some preferential terms - if you are using our engine, we give you a discount for being exclusively on our store.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom