Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Critical role ruined PnP

Matthew mercer, a prominent voiceactor of Eder, Aloth, and many many more, has created a running youtube series of DnD gameplay known as critical role.

Normally I consider the anti-sjw/incel and political opinions of the codex on the same level of a raving lunatic on drugs, but in this case I honestly consider it crossing the line.

Lately I have tried creating 'real' PnP style rpg's with people face to face and everyone I meet happen to be the most insufferable douchebags ever.

They all want to copy everything from Crit role right down to the terrible builds and lolsorandum acting.

There is a difference between role-playing and being straight up fucking retarded.

To give you guys an example, in my last session I was forced to witness two grown fucking men having gay dnd sex with each other.

Even the DM makes a point to add transsexual characters for fucks sake

I tried to tell them to knock it off but they wouldn't stop having weird orgies.

The common point is that they are all critical role fans.

SO fuck CRIT ROLE

Trymon

Educated
Happen with anything that get too popular, people will try to just emulate it, not even try to add anything, so you usually end up with something of even lesser quality. And they don't get that most of the time its more of a show than real game sessions, so most of it is kinda scripted.

Last resort, take the burden of DMing, screen the future members of your group, so that overall you all share the same idea of what the game should be.

Curratum

Get a new group. Or don't play at all. It seems everyone in the entire fucking world who wants to play D&D right now is a furry, a barely functional psychopath or an otherkin with a genderfluid persona.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Get a new group. Or don't play at all. It seems everyone in the entire fucking world who wants to play D&D right now is a furry, a barely functional psychopath or an otherkin with a genderfluid persona.

Yeah it's been my experience that the weirdest people in tabletop gaming are also those into RPGs. Not that I haven't seen incel/oddball board gamers and wargamers, but RPGers seem to be the strangest bunch. They're the ones who display sociopathic/psychopathic behavioral patterns most often.

Morkar Left

I once ended up with a group I couldn't connect to it, either. Change group till you find one that matches roughly your own play style preferences.
Or let them watch HarmonQuest. It has gays, too. But at least it's funny and doesn't take it serious.

Yeah it's been my experience that the weirdest people in tabletop gaming are also those into RPGs. Not that I haven't seen incel/oddball board gamers and wargamers, but RPGers seem to be the strangest bunch. They're the ones who display sociopathic/psychopathic behavioral patterns most often.

Yea I think the moment that thought hit me was when one member of my party was adamantly insisting on seducing a dragon instead of killing it like a normal person.

He also had furry-like tendencies.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Matthew mercer, a prominent voiceactor of Eder, Aloth, and many many more, has created a running youtube series of DnD gameplay known as critical role.
The common point is that they are all critical role fans.

SO fuck CRIT ROLE

That's not a Youtube channel's fault. it's the modern teen/twenty-something's tendency of Monkey See—Monkey Do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcKh0kctniw

(Pay close attention to the comments of the fellow who is behind the camera; this is our future here.
These are the people who will be serving and preparing food, driving buses and trains—and piloting planes, some even proposing the laws; or enforcing them with issued firearms.)
Welcome to the Harrison Bergeron/Idiocracy nightmare to come.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I play on tuesdays and on fridays. Neither campaign is very serious, but it's not very challenging to adapt to the group. The one on tuesday's can be very fun. A group of five players where no one has an edgy character, sexual topics are glossed over but I'm sure it would just be a funny moment if anyone did seduce an npc, and it would be a fade to black type situation. None of the people there are codexian at all, but they have common sense and are nice enough and there's decent chemistry in terms of roleplaying and social atmosphere. The only real issue I have is that it's very quippy, and sometimes people joke too much but it's easy for me to ignore that or just chime in with 'Anyway,' and get people back to the game. I would enjoy a serious campaign but I know it's not possible here so I adapt.

Also, people's characters and ability to roleplay is not so great. Don't really have an impression of people's characters beyond their morals, class, gender, race etc. Usually when it comes to roleplaying it's mostly me, the other decent rper playing a halfling bard and others chime in sometimes but I wonder why they don't seem to mind at all not really doing much with their character outside of combat. I just enjoy playing my character and reacting to what happens in the campaign. I guess i'd describe this campaign as an a-political critical role but low-level and more grounded setting-wise.

The friday group is two tumblrina girls, one of them is that type you all probably know. It's like they roll off an assembly line. The brown haired Zelda fan with optional glasses that has any kind of Zelda merch they can get their hands on. The other is a short haired dyke looking chick and the other guy in our group outside of the DM is one of those awkward skinny nerdy types with no charisma who is playing a homebrew mini dragonborn because it's cute or something. I just kind of assert myself and control the atmosphere of the campaign and no one seems to mind. And I play an appropriate character: An illiterate dragonborn barbarian with a slave background with 4 intelligence. I enjoy playing dumb brutes for some reason. And this one can be hilarious, not really getting etiquette or social rules at all and aching to eat any humanoid if food is otherwise lacking. Years ago I've been one of those self-appointed introvert "intellectuals" who was too good to make friends but now I just try to squeeze any inch of fun out of shit like this and I'm happy I live in a country where furries and overtly perverted people are still weirdos I guess.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why stick around at that point? Also I'd bet there'd be warning signs before that. If a group was full of awkward perverted sjw's I'd leave in a heartbeat, excuses are easily come by.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
There's an easy way to filter out the idiots that want to join your super serious group:

Upon auditioning to play for you (make no mistake, any good DM should be in high demand and should in turn demand much from his players), the player should be asked the following question:

"What is your favorite TSR/WotC, etc. D&D campaign boxed set?"

If they answer "Greyhawk", without hesitation, they're in.

If they answer "Forgotten Realms", you should sit there, silently, glaring at them, waiting for them to explain why, unbidden. If they hesitate, they're gone. If they say, however, "Ha ha I was just kidding it's Greyhawk," then with skeptical caution they should be let in.

Any other answer should result in a swift kick in the ass out your door.

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
If they answer "Forgotten Realms", you should sit there, silently, glaring at them, waiting for them to explain why, unbidden. If they hesitate, they're gone. If they say, however, "Ha ha I was just kidding it's Greyhawk," then with skeptical caution they should be let in.

:lol:

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Why stick around at that point?
Have you ever experienced loneliness ?
I mean, not finding yourself on your own between 6 & 7pm on the way back home, that's casual stuff. But talking to yourself during a moment of contemplation - that everybody finds during the day - , and being met with the most lingering & insufferable echo conveyed by your empty, deserted soul ?

It's unrelated to your question, I just wanna know.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They all want to copy everything from Crit role right down to the terrible builds and lolsorandum acting.
So, in essense, they are roleplaying some roleplayers they saw on youtube.

As kids, we used to act out cartoon characters, but with adulthood our role models become more and more specific and complex. :)

Delterius

Arcane
So, in essense, they are roleplaying some roleplayers they saw on youtube.

As kids, we used to act out cartoon characters, but with adulthood our role models become more and more specific and complex. :)
oh god

are kids roleplaying youtubers

Generic-Giant-Spider

If your D&D doesn't disintegrate into an argument on alignments or the laws of physics then you're not playing real D&D.

In fact, if your D&D night does not end in most people feeling pissed off then it was probably a really shitty session. That doesn't fly here at the Spider Compound.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom