Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Emperor of Nothing [40k CYOA]

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
E chalks up everything to these:

Golf-ball-sack.jpg

LogOS

I am most amused by the "For the Emperor!" rhetoric of some F) voters considering A) is explicitly the path the Emperor wants to take (unless I misunderstood the text)
F is/was the path of absolute faith. Manifest Destiny and conquering the universe. No wimpy guilt over what is or was, but trust the all is part of the Emerpor's plan.

In essence, it's another side of the same coin as E. Both lay all blame at the hand of some fate, be it the Emperor or "Fate™", but F has purpose and faith instead of just saying "what will be will be" like an abject cuck.

While F might get us killed down the line by putting too much faith in some guy that just happens to have conquered death itself and to be virtually omniscient, E chalks everything up to luck and hopes for the best.

We are literally playing with the same mindset as an average american single mother now. Thx. gg.

edit:
VOTE IS STILL ON!?? EVERYONE FLOP TO F REEEEEEEE!!!

While I appreciate the rhetoric, I would be remiss if I did not point out that E) is, as I said, a philosophical outlook: You accept that things are out of your hands, that there exists a Purpose to the universe which is both unknown and unaffected by you.

It says nothing about how you will deal practically with that revelation.

In fact, the same goes for F. It states that you believe things are ordered according to a pattern which is ordained by a Higher Being, that you know and agree with this pattern. It also says nothing about how you go about making it happen. A Radical Inquisitor is as much (if not more so) a Believer than is a puritan Monodominant. Both are certain the Emperor cannot be wrong and that He has ordained mankind's dominion.

Heresy is hardly objective, a Radical would call it devotion to sacrifice everything for the Emperor.

I don't mean to unduly influence anything here, I am trying for clarity. I understand now that since A) suggests a practical plan, all other choices seem to as well. This was not my intent, and is my mistake. They are all philosophical outlooks. I changed the OP (very little) again but that may only make it more confusing, so I hope this explanation makes it...clearer?

Again I apologize for this confusion, I hope to get better at this as we go along.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
If option A is what the Emperor intended, with humanity sposed to become somekind of race of psychic hyper-beings, then, I reckon ~C or ~D probably the best or at least the most heroic choices.

Option B sounds like will be lots of kerfluffle about saving as many people as possible and may incidentally be heroic but will also probably sort of like a period war drama as guilliman agonizes over every guardsmen that he has to chess around. Imagine it being like warhammer 40k crossed with A Few Good Men / Saving Private Ryan. Not that bad, but at same time I seen those movies and I dont think it has as many good possiblities for interaction with the inevitable psyker apocalypse.

Option C could be really interesting, and if Logos is root, doubly so. Poetic baroque ultraviolence as humanity faces psyker apocalypse? fuckyeah

OPtion D is like the monk version of option C which is like the viking version. Could also be interesting.

Option E is all options potentially, except, it flies straight in the face of option A, the emperors option. Interesting path. Could end with us being badass super viking psykers more than option C but could also end with us being Necrons or the creation of a new Chaos God. Dunno.

Option F also flies in the face of option A, as its the emperors intent to make humanity basically angels or something, not to have a massive physical empire where the most common features are depravity and violence. Same pitfalls as E but less exciting I reckon.

Gonna put a vote to C but if its not gonna win then E. If I cant do that then E.

Baltika9

Arcane
Flopping to B>E.

Option F is an option most pleasing to Khorne. I consider him an alright dude, but Rowboat Girlyman is batting for humanity. So, no.

@root LogOS, The '>' denote a 'succession of voting.' If B is not winning by the time you close the vote, then you should count me as voting for my second (or third, as the case may be +M) choice.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

In fact, the same goes for F. It states that you believe things are ordered according to a pattern which is ordained by a Higher Being, that you know and agree with this pattern.
Yep, two sides of the same coin. I do love my rehtoric though. And my fanatical holy wars. :M

LogOS

In fact, the same goes for F. It states that you believe things are ordered according to a pattern which is ordained by a Higher Being, that you know and agree with this pattern.
Yep, two sides of the same coin. I do love my rehtoric though. And my fanatical holy wars. :M

Apparently I can't brofist, so that's fine. We all love holy wars. The Fremen taught Mankind about the necessity of violence as a tool for renovation.

I just wanted to make sure people voting F) understand that it's not an automatic declaration of Jihad on the entire universe. It'll just be Guilliman's guiding principle. Much like voting for E) won't turn the Primarch into a gambling addict, or voting for D) turn him into Jesus.

I appreciate all the votes and responses, by the way. This has generated way more attention than I expected.

Thank you.

I'm actually somewhat particular to A. On one hand its one vision of human/Emperah victory that does not solely involve boring jihad (I love "for the empbro" memes as much as the next guy but it gets rather tiresome after a while) and as thoughts go it is rather thousandfold, but on the other hand it losing would further vex Lambchop. Now that's what I call engaging C&C.

LogOS

I must say I am quite surprised about the voting. Something in the general nature of these fora led me to believe that after adding F (which I struggled with, I thought it might end up too much like what things already are and get boring. But I had an Idea), the votes would be mostly 80-20 between F and another choice.

This is a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kayerts

Arcane
My inner troll is hoping that if the "fate" vote wins, it damns us to a hundred pages of playing as Eldar.

A > F; setting ourselves on a path of difficult choices that we may or may not have the will to faithfully see through seems like the surest way to ensure glorious clusterfucks a la the Tragic Tale of Marius Hax.

Also, hello, old friends.:love:

LogOS

My inner troll is hoping that if the "fate" vote wins, it damns us to a hundred pages of playing as Eldar.

A > F; setting ourselves on a path of difficult choices that we may or may not have the will to faithfully see through seems like the surest way to ensure glorious clusterfucks a la the Tragic Tale of Marius Hax.

Also, hello, old friends.:love:

You will play as Guilliman throughout the entire prologue. After that, your choices and my own belief about what makes a better story may change the protagonist (or not.). But if it does, it will be human. I want this story to focus on the Imperium and the choices made to arrive at its present situation, and to continue on from there.

There's plenty of interesting stories that could be told from the perspective of other races, but my focus here is on Mankind, and how too much of what it does and is has been determined by outside forces and lazy marketing directors. Hence using clean-slate Guilliman as a game changer.

Also, thank you for voting. I am quite overwhelmed this got to 5 pages in less than a week and just one post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom