Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

TheRedSnifit

Educated
For the alligator fight you literally just run left or right based on its really obvious cues. Leon runs automatically, you don't have to hold W.

It's a set pattern - left, then right, then center, then shoot the gas pipe. Kind of surprised anybody had difficulty there.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Yep, the giant croco is pretty lame, probably my biggest complain about the game besides the lack of differentiation between the campaings and the little presence of the soundtrack (Specially after hearing such good pieces like this). I liked the new bosses design in terms of gameplay, but the alligator just feels taken directly from RE6. A fucking scripted Crash bandicoot sequence

RIP Croco 1998-2019

You born and died being a lacklustre in all your appearances and wasting your potential.

TheRedSnifit

Educated
Yeah, I recall that in the original to beat the alligator you just ran in a straight line down a hallway and hit a button, more or less.

The remake improves on it but there's only so much you can do with something that wasn't very good in the first place.

sullynathan

Arcane
Yeah, I recall that in the original to beat the alligator you just ran in a straight line down a hallway and hit a button, more or less.

The remake improves on it but there's only so much you can do with something that wasn't very good in the first place.
Slight improvements are apparently worse than keeping things the same.

A horse of course

For the alligator fight you literally just run left or right based on its really obvious cues. Leon runs automatically, you don't have to hold W.

It's a set pattern - left, then right, then center, then shoot the gas pipe. Kind of surprised anybody had difficulty there.

Oh I assumed it was randomized and was trying to react to it's movements. Anyway idc

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I don't think the new crocodile is a slight improvement. On the contrary, I actually think is is worse. In the original it was a normal boss fight, you ran away from him while shooting it. If you make enough damage to him, he brokes a wall and leaves (And reappears in the B scenario to the other character). Sure, you can kill him with the drum, but usually you don't realize that in the first playthrough. But keep all this in mind, he was a boss fight. A poor one, maybe. But with options. What did we got in the remake? A scripted running sequence. Go left, go right, go left again and shoot the gas pipe. He's done, that's all. He also doesn't appears in Claire's story. It's pretty obvious that he has been included in the latest moments of the game's development, just to meet people's expectations.

He could have been something like the worm boss from Silent hill 3, with the crocodile trying to bite you from sewer openings while you avoid his instant kill bite, forcing you to move and constant reubicate yourself (The core of RE combat), or something like that. But the thing we got? Nope. Not even a game's fanboy like me can defend it.

TheRedSnifit

Educated
I think it was fairly obvious from the big glowing orange button next to the obviously explosive tank how you were supposed to go about killing the gator. The hapless gator wasn't really a true bossfight, and (for some or most players) goes down in the same as he does in the remake, minus the Crash Bandicoot sequence.

But the gator isn't really a hill I'm willing to die on lol. It was bad in the original, it's bad in the remake, "alligator chases you down narrow hallway and gets instakilled" was unfortunately one moment they decided to remain relatively faithful to instead of really expanding on.

I remember reading that when making the remake the gator was something they debated on for a long time because they couldn’t figure out how to fit him in the game without it detracting from the tone of the game. I believe they said this was one of the better options they came up with, for what that's worth.

RapineDel

Augur
Are you sure? I specifically remember dying a couple of times, then when I pressed W Leon went faster and I didn't have any trouble. Seems odd that Leon's running animation would speed up and yet it makes no difference?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Btw, on hardcore you'll have to dodge him three times instead of two (left - right - left again - then center and shoot the gas pipe).

Are you sure? I specifically remember dying a couple of times, then when I pressed W Leon went faster and I didn't have any trouble. Seems odd that Leon's running animation would speed up and yet it makes no difference?
movement speed is irrelevant during this section, cuz alligator is tied to you no matter what.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Oh, I forgot to mention the music is utter crap compared to the original and sucks all the atmosphere out of the game. The only song that even slightly moved me was the tribute to the classic save theme the first time you enter the dark room.
I've never played the original, but I switched to the classic soundtrack and stayed on it after the Ada chapter. I wish I had used it from the start. The new soundtrack is just so bland. Almost finished my first campaign, Leon's.

Machocruz

Arcane
they couldn’t figure out how to fit him in the game without it detracting from the tone of the game. I believe they said this was one of the better options they came up with, for what that's worth.

What a load of shit. And these are professional creatives. The tone of the game is monsters trying to kill you, a giant, carnivorous reptile should slot in there real easily as a non-scripted encounter. No, I think it's their level design that limits the available options they had. Even then, not hard to come up with something better than either games delivered.

Momock

Augur
I don't think the new crocodile is a slight improvement. On the contrary, I actually think is is worse. In the original it was a normal boss fight, you ran away from him while shooting it. If you make enough damage to him, he brokes a wall and leaves (And reappears in the B scenario to the other character). Sure, you can kill him with the drum, but usually you don't realize that in the first playthrough.
Well in my case I found out how to kill him immediately and didn't waste a single bullet on it (I mean... you just have to push a button... it's not rocket science). What I didn't kwow is that it reappears in the B route if you didn't understand how to kill it in the A route (it gives me a reason to replay the game I guess!). So from my point of view the new crocodile wasn't so bad (it still was because it's a scripted sequence, and it reminded me of the levels where you're chased by something in Crash Bandicoot, which is not exactly the feeling that a horror game is supposed to give me).

Kitchen Utensil

I don't think so.
Most soundtracks nowadays are bland, unimaginative crap lacking any character.

A horse of course

The original OST didn't really work for me, it felt like a mod tacked on to the game. The soundtrack was built around each room as a distinct "scene" clearly delineated by the door animation as a transition between them, so that the player felt a completely different sense of place and atmosphere depending on which room they were currently exploring. It doesn't quite fit with the remake where you can barrel through multiple "scenes" in one go.

TheRedSnifit

Educated
they couldn’t figure out how to fit him in the game without it detracting from the tone of the game. I believe they said this was one of the better options they came up with, for what that's worth.

What a load of shit. And these are professional creatives. The tone of the game is monsters trying to kill you, a giant, carnivorous reptile should slot in there real easily as a non-scripted encounter. No, I think it's their level design that limits the available options they had. Even then, not hard to come up with something better than either games delivered.

Fair enough. Here's the article on it if you want:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/resident-evil-2-remake-alligator/amp/

If nothing else it confirms the other posters' suspicions that they originally didn't have the gator and then threw it in at the last moment because of fan expectations.

For whatever it's worth most of the other "normal real-world animal but bigger! enemies like the giant moths were cut completely.

Last edited:
How does it play? Is it basically HUNK, but with new characters?
Pretty similar. The vending machines giving you a choice of one of three items is a good feature though. Especially in the soldier scenario, because his only starting gun is the SMG so he has to choose between what other weapons he wants. You get to a machine with a shotgun/magnum/grenade launcher and you actually have to think carefully about what you want, instead of just grabbing everything like in campaign or not having any pickups at all like in fourth survivor. I find that good. The other scenarios don't have choices as hard as that though, they're just stuff like ammo/different ammo/grenade.
Once you finish all the scenarios you get a horde defence mode too. It's not really that fun though, I find. You get an infinite ammo pistol so there's a lot of slowly backing up shooting zombies, which isn't thrilling gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom