Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Tigranes

Arcane
City builders and regular strategy games are completely different in this regard in that they allow you to set up a stable economy that churns out resources on a regular basis. This is very different from a game where you must constantly find ways to make money.

Trust me, just playing the game is enough to earn you money after a while. You're getting scared by it before really trying it.

Murk

Arcane
I was hoping for some 'dark' origins, and the cult is a nice addition.

I really hope they add more and they all alter the game sufficiently that it may as well be a major overhaul in the experience.

Maybe... just maybe they'll add a bandit/marauder origin as well... oh dear.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-113-company-origins-part-i/
:bounce:
I never hire anyone else anyway so this is perfect deal for me.
militia.jpg
This is going to be awesome, that's how I play for 90% of the game anyway, so now I'll have 12 starting bros and 18 in later game fights. Who isn't lowborn in this game anyway? Noble, disowned noble, hedge knight? Maybe swordmaster? The only problem is: how the game is going to scale the encounters to that.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
First time I see this table, but I assume they'll change it because it looks like Militia can't join the Militia right now.

Realistically it's not going to lock you out of just "highborn backgrounds" but of more expensive ones like nobles, sellswords, witch hunters etc. Maybe also premium versions of cheaper ones, so you might get poachers but not hunters. If militia can't hire butchers or lumberjacks (or militiamen) then I don't know wtf they're doing.

There should also be a real hardcore version of that company origin where you can only get the awful city nerd backgrounds like peddlers and historians.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With the new additions and mods, I went for a new playthrough, but couldn't get myself to finish it.
By now I feel that the game is just too samey and formulaic in all playthroughs.

There is just nothing that let's you spice things up. You cannot build your mercenaries differently, you always have to equip and skill them in pretty much the same way. Every encounter of type X can be beaten with strategy Y.
It just never mixes up. New types of encounters are new only once...

And encounters never hold any surprises. Once the battle starts, you know what's going to happen. You might still die, of course, but that's just the nature of RNG.
It would be great if something unexpected could happen, and not only in a negative way (RNG fucks you enough already, IMO). For example, some prisoners breaking free and helping you when attacking a fort. Or a bunch of wolves attacking both you and your enemy. Etc.

It would also be great if you could have different styles of warbands. Like, I tried to go exclusively for 2H, no shields, no ranged. But if you try to do that early on, you just die to everything, so you have to march through the early & mid game doing the exactly same things you do in all playthroughs (to get to the point of good armor and better skills), and I just can't stomach that any more.
A class-system for your "commander" that affects your band as a whole and would allow you to take your merry men into different directions...

No amount of "new monsters" type DLCs is going to help with any of that.
Oh, well. Guess I'm just done with the game. It was fun while it lasted, though!

PS: One thing that did spice things up for me was the Battle Sisters mod. Some of them start with beards :lol:

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Dev Blog #114: Company Origins, Part II
Last week we talked about what the company origins feature of the upcoming ‘Warriors of the North’ DLC is exactly and looked at several of these origins. This week we continue with a closer look at two more origins that are part of a larger selection for you to choose from. Just keep in mind again that things are in active development and may still change – let’s go!

The Northern Raiders
With an expansion focused on bringing variety and flavor to the northern parts of the map, it’s only fitting that there’d be an origin that has you start in the north as well. Playing as northern raiders let’s you start with veteran raiders that are well-equipped with some of the new nordic and rus inspired armor and helmets which we’ll show in an upcoming blog post of its own.

raiders.jpg

However, you’ll also start as outlaws, which means that 2 out of 3 noble houses are outright hostile, while the remaining one is distrustful. It makes for a challenging start where you rely more on venturing out on your own instead of taking on contracts. And it’s up to you how to proceed: Do you want to mend relations over time and become a proper mercenary company, getting paid by the the noble houses, or do you continue with raiding and pillaging, alienating the nobles further? Fortunately, your men are quite proficient at pillaging, and you’ll have a higher chance to get any equipment dropped by your enemies in battle, so you’ll have to rely less on being able to buy equipment in cities that will most likely just send their militia after you.

The Lone Wolf
For a very different experience of playing the game, and in some way the opposite to last week’s militia origin, have your player character be present on the field of battle.

lone_wolf.jpg

You’ll start with a single well-equipped and experienced hedge knight who is, in a way, your player character. He can’t be fired and he’ll never desert the company, but if he dies, your campaign ends and you lose the game. He’ll be the strongest man in the company for quite a while, but having him in the fray is always a risk, so you’ll have to think carefully on how you want to use him. And because this origin only ever allows you to have 12 men in your roster, there’s no putting him in the backline – you go out there and fight side by side with the rest of your men, or you’ll leave them at a disadvantage and have them call you a coward. Having to defend your player character adds a different layer of strategy to each battle. Despite your character starting out strong, it’s a challenge suited best for experienced players.

There’s more origins to choose from still, but we don’t want to spoil everything, so you’ll have to find out for yourself by playing the game. Join us again next week when we take a look at a different feature of the upcoming DLC!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
You’ll start with a single well-equipped and experienced hedge knight who is, in a way, your player character. He can’t be fired and he’ll never desert the company, but if he dies, your campaign ends and you lose the game.
There, now all you immersionfags can't complain anymore. I'm just glad it's optional. Hell, it'll probably be fun, too.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
You’ll start with a single well-equipped and experienced hedge knight who is, in a way, your player character. He can’t be fired and he’ll never desert the company, but if he dies, your campaign ends and you lose the game.
There, now all you immersionfags can't complain anymore. I'm just glad it's optional. Hell, it'll probably be fun, too.
Next there will be balancefags complaining: "why would you take company background X when background Y is stronger?"

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm, funny. Stuff like those origins are exactly what I was talking about.
Not sure if that will carry a whole playthrough, but certainly one or two attempts at it :lol:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want the crippled hobo start for the ultimate challenge. Start malnourished with a stick as your only weapon and companion.

Murk

Arcane
I kind of already play the 'lone wolf' style as is, often going with only 8 bros. That may just be my new jam.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
To be honest I miss this low medieval fantasy theme.
Now we have alps hexes behind every corner plus other shit.
The 'behind every corner' part is what I don't like.

Hexen are fine, Alps (at least in theory, not necessarily as an enemy that's fun to fight...) too, but they should be rare and stay mysterious. (Ab)Using them as a source for crafting material doesn't help either: 'Oh, I still need to kill about 50 of you, to equip my whole company with necklaces!' should not be something you think of when facing a terrifying enemy.

Hopefully the new DLC puts enough non-magical stuff in the mix, to shift the setting towards 'Low Fantasy' again.

Hrymr

Educated
https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/60
Legends Mod

Tired of the same old hoggart fight? Its time to carve out your legend!

Choose from six powerful classes each with their own spells and abilities, customise the world to your liking and enter a world at war. This mod is hard,

An overhaul mod that increases replayability and variety. Provides alternate starts, magic, classes, world generation, art, effects, and AI changes.

Alternate Starts
  • Warlock: Spells to raise the dead and debuff enemies.
  • Seer: Powerful caster focused on control spells.
  • Crusader: Focus on heavy armor and righteous zeal
  • Ranger: Strong archer with footwork and pathfinder.
  • Berserker: Wildman with great AOE damage perks.
  • Officer: The ideal bannerman for a party of 27
  • Party: All of the above in a single party
  • Beggar: Start with nothing but the rags on your back.

Commander on the field
  • Commanders starts with a small company, but have perks that increase the size of roster up to 27 on the field.
  • No reserves tent, every man in every battle.
  • Create and save unit formations
  • If the Commander dies, it's game over.

Backgrounds that matter
  • Different backgrounds can have unique perk trees with entirely different abilities
  • Backgrounds can add different amounts of food, ammo, tools, and stash size (apprentices repair, caravan hands carry etc)
  • Background effect movement speed over different terrains (miners in mountains, hunters in forests etc)
  • Backgrounds can have different level caps, getting perks past level 11
  • Different Backgrounds can now improve both repair and heal rates. (monks increase heal rates etc)
  • Tryout reveals star attributes on the hiring screen
  • Female specific backgrounds with correct gender names, text, events, bodies, 12 new additional faces, and no more beards!

Enhanced Enemies
  • Low level spawns added for single character starts.
  • Increased variety of spawn options in the mid game.
  • High level scaling added for parties up to 27 mercs, End game battles now feature hundreds of opponents.
  • More blood on all damaged enemies, more particle effects

Dynamic world
  • Ingame sliders to control world size cities, factions, oceans, forrests, swamps (experimental, read the tooltips)
  • Noble houses start in civil war, with 6 new AI Noble house archetypes
  • Greenskins start in civil war
  • Bandits start in civil war
  • increased ambushes, can be ambushed closer to settlements
  • Crises happen earlier and more often
  • Increased Event spawn rate by 10%

Future plans

This is just the start, we have much more content already in development and plans to touch nearly every aspect of the game.
In development:
  • New enemies
  • Horses
  • Runic weapons
  • More starts, skills and events
  • Improved terrain generation algorithms

On roadmap:
  • More tactical maps
  • More enemies
  • More crises
  • City management
  • Faction management
:shredder:Wtf is that? Sounds too good to be true.

Barbarian

Arcane
Yeah, it does sound like that mod will throw balance out of the window.

I like the new starts but we need more info. It seems like balancing it out will be a challenge. The militia start, for instance, seems greatly overpowered. I think most players already mostly used lower tier backgrounds(specially with the new salary mechanics). From a gamey perspective I don't see how the other starts can ever top the advantage of having 50% more men on the field(and a bigger reserve to boot).

They would have to either increase the power of the higher tier backgrounds or make the lower tier ones weaker(perhaps both).

Also, the "player character" start would probably work better with a unique background. Why does it have to be a hedge knight?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom