Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Last time I checked Dazzling Display does not paralyze or mind control enemies. Also it complements mind affecting spells so you can utilize both.

But you can most certainly improve it too. Take thug, and send them running from you, tails between legs. I have done this so many times to comical effects, where even bosses decided to run away from my Pala 2/ Thug 4/ Scaled Fist 1 / Magus X.

Last time I checked, fear effect is not the same as paralyze or mind control, both of which are far more powerful. And again you can have both easily and it was not the question. The question was what you guys think complements enchantment the most on the same character, a sorcerer to be specific, who by the way gets +5 to DC for enchantment spells so I can guarantee you that he will be just as good landing his spells. The question then is what to complement that with. Personally I am thinking of evocation so besides buffs, debuffs and CC you have some damage and CC which does not target will, specifically (Mass) Icy Prison and Sirocco. Both of these can also further enhanced by choosing not just evocation focus but also elemental focus. Also thinking of getting the Eldritch Arcana mod so instead of Clashing Rocks I get Wish spell which is far better than Clashing Rocks.

Icy Prison and Sirocco are good but also pretty late. Mass Ice Prison is very late.
Meanwhile Conjuration rocks from the early levels. Even more so with the EA mod and Selective Spell. If they have poor Reflex, they fall easy pray to Grease (even golems). If they have poor Fort (and can be poisoned), Stinking Cloud will make them easy pickings (nice vs Wisps!). And you can Heighten those spells and use them across many levels. Chains of Light is a killer spell for (not-to-agile) bosses.
Personally I'd... hesitate to spec in Enchantment. Way too many immune enemies. Most low and mid-level spells with big impact are single-target. A Bard's Enchantment selection is arguably better (and he's actually mostly limited to these spells as far as offensive spellcasting goes - and some sonic evocations).

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It is your choice of course, but I'd avoid Enchantment too, because all endgame is fey and they are immune. I usually build my sorcerers with heavy focus on Conjuration or Evocation and add spells I like on top, minding that my DC wont be all that good.
Haste, Improved Invis, Legendary Proportions, Greater Heroism, Stoneskin, Communal and etc is too good to pass for any sorc.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I have a Wiz that is specced in conjuration and has all the summoning spells and also an item that boosts the number of creatures that get summoned. He is pretty OP. And I also have a Sorcerer who is specced in evocation he blows shit up. Fun times. For my third dps I went with ranger which I have never done before. I always go with a druid or shaman type of character because I have a boner for spell casting and Wisdom caster tends to have a totally different set of interesting spells to the Wiz/Sorc that I usually have. But it always bugs me having uber bows always drop in these games and I never have anyone to use it, and I also feel like being able to blast shit from a mile away without ever running out of spells is pretty handy. So far it is working well, but it is so boring to play too because he has about 3 spells and mostly he is just spamming arrows. I don't normally replay games but I will replay this sometime for sure with some different classes.

My team this time:
Warrior
Warrior
Cleric
Ranger
Wiz
Sorc

Next time I would probably go with:
Warrior
Paladin
Some other healer
Druid
Wiz
Wiz (spec this one in something interesting like Necromancy)

Cael

Arcane
Last time I checked Dazzling Display does not paralyze or mind control enemies. Also it complements mind affecting spells so you can utilize both.

But you can most certainly improve it too. Take thug, and send them running from you, tails between legs. I have done this so many times to comical effects, where even bosses decided to run away from my Pala 2/ Thug 4/ Scaled Fist 1 / Magus X.

Last time I checked, fear effect is not the same as paralyze or mind control, both of which are far more powerful. And again you can have both easily and it was not the question. The question was what you guys think complements enchantment the most on the same character, a sorcerer to be specific, who by the way gets +5 to DC for enchantment spells so I can guarantee you that he will be just as good landing his spells. The question then is what to complement that with. Personally I am thinking of evocation so besides buffs, debuffs and CC you have some damage and CC which does not target will, specifically (Mass) Icy Prison and Sirocco. Both of these can also further enhanced by choosing not just evocation focus but also elemental focus. Also thinking of getting the Eldritch Arcana mod so instead of Clashing Rocks I get Wish spell which is far better than Clashing Rocks.

Icy Prison and Sirocco are good but also pretty late. Mass Ice Prison is very late.
Meanwhile Conjuration rocks from the early levels. Even more so with the EA mod and Selective Spell. If they have poor Reflex, they fall easy pray to Grease (even golems). If they have poor Fort (and can be poisoned), Stinking Cloud will make them easy pickings (nice vs Wisps!). And you can Heighten those spells and use them across many levels. Chains of Light is a killer spell for (not-to-agile) bosses.
Personally I'd... hesitate to spec in Enchantment. Way too many immune enemies. Most low and mid-level spells with big impact are single-target. A Bard's Enchantment selection is arguably better (and he's actually mostly limited to these spells as far as offensive spellcasting goes - and some sonic evocations).
Prototypical God Wizards are Conjurers or Transmuters. Evocation and Necromancy tend to be the first schools they drop.

Sykar

Arcane

You.... do realize that, again, this is beside the point, right? I am well aware of how good conjuration CC is.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I noticed enemies get really high rolls on their save d20 rolls. I think whatever rng system they are using is busted. It makes many CC spells often useless in my experience. It is why people talk about spells like Sirocco, that spell is good enough to even fuck up enemy super high rolls.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You.... do realize that, again, this is beside the point, right? I am well aware of how good conjuration CC is.
Of course it is your right to consider that my advice is beside the point.

I will only add/reiterate that:
1. Evocation arguably has first solid CC options at spell level VI.
2. Enchantment will probably serve you well in less then 1/2 of the important encounters the game throws at you.

Let's see:
Chapter 1: Enchantment is pretty good, however not in Sycamore underground.
Chapter 2: Troll Trouble Enchantment is good, Season of Bloom less so - a lot of monsters are spiders and centipedes, immune to mind effects.
Chapter 3: Major enemies are undead... enchantment is okay vs barbarians I guess.
Chapter 4: Enchantment might be good vs the barbarians, but again, but the major location is an undead tomb....
Chapter 5: Haven't played yet, but as you're mostly fighting humanoids, Enchantment should be good here.
Chapter 6: Both Fey and ghosts are immune...
Chapter 7: Both Fey and ghosts are immune...

I'll add that so far if I ever had trouble or difficulty, it was rarely with enemies that enchantment could help against...
So IMO its a "win more" luxury school, rather then a solid foundation.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

GOG: https://af.gog.com/game/pathfinder_kingmaker_varnholds_lot?as=1649904300

Just as you were claiming your first title, another hero of the Stolen Lands became a baron too: Maegar Varn, captain of the Varnling Host mercenary band and rightful ruler of Varnhold (this guy sure likes the sound of his name!). If you've played the main campaign, you already know what happened to him next... Or do you? In this DLC, you join Varn as his general, and experience Varnhold's valorous history firsthand — the whole of it, not just the outcome!

• Play a self-contained side story. Create a new character and spend 6-12 hours fighting for the future of Varnhold while your main campaign's hero establishes their barony in the Shrike Hills.

• Experience the adventure from a companion's point of view. Maegar Varn might be your liege — but what worth is a ruler without advisors, and what can a lord achieve without his host? Lead your commander to victory in combat and to prosperity in peace — and, perhaps, you'll see those who followed you in your main campaign with new eyes!

• Explore a huge new dungeon. What secrets lie in the forbidden depths, guarded by centaurs of the Nomen tribe? What monsters lurk there, and what treasures glimmer in the dark? Open the ancient doors, and fight your way through Lostlarn Keep!

• Spark a new love. Varn is your commander, an old friend and a trusted ally... But could he mean something more to you? Play as a heroine to find out!

• Import your achievements into the main campaign! After you finish the DLC, a new event will unlock in the main story: Maegar Varn will invite you to visit the dungeon once again — to witness the consequences of your decisions... and, while you're there, to pick up the loot that was left behind!

Discover the untold stories of the Stolen Lands' denizens and conquerors in our new DLC — "Varnhold's Lot"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys a question about kineticist.

The physical blasts of kineticists counts as mundane weapon right?

So what about the ghost assassin fuckers? Are they immune to all kineticist physical blasts? or does the Rare earth infusion (which gives metal i.e. earth+earth) which can make the blast as adamantium/cold iron etc.

adamantium rare earth infusion should bypass the mundane weapon immunity no?

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I noticed enemies get really high rolls on their save d20 rolls. I think whatever rng system they are using is busted. It makes many CC spells often useless in my experience. It is why people talk about spells like Sirocco, that spell is good enough to even fuck up enemy super high rolls.

Have you got evidence of this? If so, pass it onto the developers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/1819922602475509652

Hotfix 1.2.5 – February 28th, 2019
28 FEB @ 12:51PM - THEZEISONSHA

Dear Pathfinders,

As per usual, even while working on our new DLC “Varnhold’s Lot”, we kept improving the base game according to your feedback and suggestions. Most of the team are now busy with our next big patch - version 1.3, which we hope to push out in March. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy this new hotfix. The release date for our 3rd DLC will be revealed later, however, we can tell you that some of our developers have been working on it for a while now.

Please, pay attention that the size of this update is quite big because it includes the content of the DLC. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Also, please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below (in the Quest, Areas and Kingdom sections)!
Areas
  • At the Rushlight Tournament, some of the NPCs had incorrect visuals (females appearing as males, etc.). Resolution: fixed.
  • There was no fog of war in the "Goblin Fort" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • Some mischievous fey have once again stolen the body of a dead woman at the "Swamp Witch's Hut" area. Resolution: found them and convinced to put the body back where it belongs.
  • It was impossible to talk to Nyrissa once she had been in a fight at the "Everblooming Flower Cradle" area in the First World. Resolution: fixed.
  • Sometimes when moving between areas, some random point in the fog of war would become revealed. Resolution: fixed.
  • The camera no longer gets stuck outside the play zone at the "Poachers' Hideout" area.

Quests
  • The "On the Edge" quest didn't show as completed or failed in some cases. Resolution: fixed.
  • The "Go to Pitax" objective of the "War of the River Kings" quest now correctly completes after entering Pitax.
  • If saved, Nilak could disappear upon the completion of the "Flintrock Grasslands" area, making the player fail Amiri's companion quest. This happened in some cases when the player had previously completed Tristian's quest "Betrayer's Flight". Resolution: fixed.
  • In the quest finale at the "Flintrock Grasslands" area, after loading the game, Amiri could come to the player and start the wrong dialog. Resolution: fixed.
  • In some cases, the Hellknight in the quest "Feast of Nails" could interrupt the dialog and leave. Resolution: fixed.
  • Kalikke would incorrectly not terminate her romance with the player if one of the Sweet Teeth died or if the player sacrificed them to save the sisters. Resolution: fixed.
  • Members of the player's party could get stuck when walking on the walls of the Adamantine Shield Fortress. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom
  • The "Problem with Taxes" and "Letter from Brevoy" kingdom events could get stuck in an uncompleted state if they began on version 1.0.9 of the game. Resolution: fixed. For good-aligned characters, Oleg will not be taxed twice, and a project allowing to rebuild the road ro Restov will appear. For neutral-aligned characters, Oleg's Trading Post will become a part of Restov, and a project allowing to improve diplomatic relations with Restov will appear. For evil-aligned characters, the barony's army will intervene at the trading post, and a project allowing to improve local fortifications will appear.

User Interfaces
  • Quest objective status notifications wouldn't close when clicking on the "x" button. Resolution: fixed.

Classes & Mechanics
  • The Holy Lance ability from the Good Domain now works correctly.

Miscellaneous
  • Punctuation marks had disappeared from the Chinese localization of the game. Resolution: fixed.
A friendly reminder: while we deeply admire the contribution that mod authors make to our game, we would like you to remember that running custom modifications can lead to unexpected bugs and crashes. Unfortunately, if you encounter any issues while playing with mods, our team will not be able to help you. If this happens, please, report these issues to the mod's original creator. Also, remember that after each game update, there is a high probability of previously installed mods not functioning properly. If you wish to play with mods anyway, disabling auto-updates might prevent your save files from becoming corrupted.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Have you got evidence of this? If so, pass it onto the developers.
I don't feel like noting down every roll for next 1000 to 5000 rolls to send to them so they mostly likely ignore it.
But when my CC spells fail I always check rolls and so often enemies with bad modifiers get 15+ rolls that I managed to notice it. This is after 700+ h of playing this game.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I don't feel like noting down every roll for next 1000 to 5000 rolls to send to them so they mostly likely ignore it.
But when my CC spells fail I always check rolls and so often enemies with bad modifiers get 15+ rolls that I managed to notice it. This is after 700+ h of playing this game.

And this is why your sample is biased.

Even a shitty LCG like the one used by rand() has adequate properties for a computer game. It is unlikely that the developers implemented their own RNG. They probably went with a generic one. Even improperly shortening the RNG cycle by modular division does not do noticeable damage in this kind of application.

I'd probably fire on the spot a developer who wastes man hours to implement own RNG in a computer game

ArchAngel

Arcane

Even a shitty LCG like the one used by rand() has adequate properties for a computer game. It is unlikely that the developers implemented their own RNG. They probably went with a generic one. Even improperly shortening the RNG cycle by modular division does not do noticeable damage in this kind of application.

I'd probably fire on the spot a developer who wastes man hours to implement own RNG in a computer game
I would agree with you if I spent 20 to 100h playing this game. But after 700+ I don't think bias has anything to do with it anymore.

And I stopped using CC spells often after failing them too many times. So it is not like I succeed many but only check failed ones. I use them rarely now but if they are one save spell they almost always fail. Only Web, Grease and such that force enemy to save every round do something.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

It is actually quite common to do this afaik, because a lot devs like to 'cook' the rng so they can bias it in favour of being 'fair'.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Skewed perception.
Most of this is confirmation bias. You don't bat an eyelid when your roll to open the lock or disarm the trap succeeds. You certainly don't reload and roll again and again and then get mad that you successfully opened the lock 3 times in a row. But God forbid you fail 3 times in a row - then the dev coded the dice specifically to screw you over xD. If you were to track all your lock/trap rolls throughout the game you'd probably see that you're rolling high just as often as you're rolling low.
People looked up the rng code in this game and found nothing extraordinary. see here
https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/3393916911753760080/?ctp=2

Of course there's one caveat for percentages. Say concealment 50%. I could say roll d1000 and if you're 500 or higher you succeed. Technically correct, but you can roll <500 for a LONG time leaving the impression of anything but a 50% success chance.
In such case you should use the smallest possible d, i.e. d2 in this example, for better results.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Skewed perception.
Most of this is confirmation bias. You don't bat an eyelid when your roll to open the lock or disarm the trap succeeds. You certainly don't reload and roll again and again and then get mad that you successfully opened the lock 3 times in a row. But God forbid you fail 3 times in a row - then the dev coded the dice specifically to screw you over xD. If you were to track all your lock/trap rolls throughout the game you'd probably see that you're rolling high just as often as you're rolling low.
People looked up the rng code in this game and found nothing extraordinary. see here
https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/3393916911753760080/?ctp=2

Of course there's one caveat for percentages. Say concealment 50%. I could say roll d1000 and if you're 500 or higher you succeed. Technically correct, but you can roll <500 for a LONG time leaving the impression of anything but a 50% success chance.
In such case you should use the smallest possible d, i.e. d2 in this example, for better results.
They use d100 for all the 20% and 50% rolls as you can see the result of the d100 roll in the combat log.

Also I am talking about enemy rolls, not my own.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They probably just use Unity RNG as their source for RNG.

One thing I had explained to me once that some RNG systems use values generated from random events like CPU temperature. And they can get say a set of low values. Theoretically RNG can pull out some sort of generated low values and you would roll always below average. Which is both random and not random, because while random means that can indeed happen, technically you can't roll higher because RNG first has to go through all the low numbers it pulled. This can lead to a series of low rolls followed by series of high rolls. Which is also not really impossible as, while we expect fairness from randomness (meaning we feel that, if we get something like 5 10 3 15 2 20 we feel it is random, but if we get 2 4 5 4 5 3 we feel it is less random but THAT IS ALSO RANDOM IN FACT that's where our bias kicks in) it is not fair in a sense of what we feel fair is.

I am not sure I explained that correctly sorry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom