Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah.
Ambushes are very nasty for low level companies.

Usually it's best to avoid heavily wooded areas on early game, but if you do get ambushed then it's time to pick a direction on which you try to break out.
It will be costly and there's real risk of losses and morale collapse.

I've found that playing "ironmeme" forces player to learn art of fighting retreats.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
This simply proves that the mechanic has nothing to do with reasoned philosophy and is just a deliberate attempt to slow the game down & increase player-time in-game. Which is cynical, and that cynicism gets transposed into the player. Obviously not all players...
Well.
I can totally agree on this with the guy. It was especially visible in the release period when they slow down progression to the crawl compared to other builds.
Problem with progression is that you barely earn enough money to actually buy gear instead of being forced to cheese game with farming it(especially when it comes to armor, but farming weapons can also be a 'funny' experience with trolling RNG).
So it would be fine to have trolling RNG when it comes to drops if you actually can afford buying stuff reliable from your contracts pays. But it isn't because most of the profit and progression com e from enemy drops and selling repaired weapons.
The other thing is lack of any manual and in game pedia. Sure there is WIKI now that have info directly taken from game files but wasn't always the thing. Playing blind will lead to many frustrating moments - 'what the heck is this bullshit' type.
Then there comes power creep - the troops you can hire(even high tier/high level) can't replace high leveled losses. Meaning that you need win battles with no losses especially late game. Heck fresh recruits lack even stats to carry heavier armors.
Its all design choices that was chosen probably more by convenience that for anything else.
Yes I am looking at you - one contract at the time or scaled enemy forces.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is best in life? http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-116-the-barbarians-part-i/

DEV BLOG #116: THE BARBARIANS, PART I

The upcoming ‘Warriors of the North’ DLC will not just bring more replayability and nordic equipment, but also introduce an entirely new human faction to the game. They’ll come with their own lore, armor and weapons, enemy types and fighting styles to pose a unique challenge to any mercenary commander. Let’s delve in!

INTRODUCTION
During the development of the ‘Beasts & Explorations’ DLC we had this idea for groups of wildmen roaming the northern parts of the map. Essentially, they’d be a different flavor of bandits and use existing assets. Except, maybe we could also squeeze in one new armor if we found the time? Or maybe even two? And so we decided that if we wanted to do them, we’d do them right and dedicate the time necessary to give them equipment and mechanics of their own, their own music, as well as contracts and events to convey their lore and the part they play in the world of Battle Brothers. So here we are, with a ‘Warriors of the North’ DLC in development.

Many hundred years ago, in a different era, an empire of man spanned much of the known world. An empire, not of petty noble houses, but one of a dozen provinces, from the frozen tundra of the north to the blistering sands of the south, of a dozen peoples under one banner. As the empire spread further and further to the north, it became entangled in constant war with countless tribes of barbarians. Some were subjugated by force, some saw opportunity and swore allegiance, others faded into nothingness, but many more remained free; their constant raids and incursions a thorn in the side of the empire.

The empire, as you may know, eventually crumbled under its own weight, and feudal houses emerged from the dust to rule the lands in its stead. Yet, in the very north, the free barbarian tribes remained free still. For them, their own tribe is the beginning and the end, it is bliss in life and death, for their family is holy to them and they believe to sit with their ancestors if they meet their end in this life. They roam the harsh and infertile lands as they have been for hundreds of years, they raid to claim what they need, and they sacrifice their prisoners in bloody rituals to prove their worth to ancestors who ascended to be gods through their deeds in life. But they’re not beasts, and they’re not of alien minds like the greenskins. They’re humans; and while they speak a different tongue, they can be reasoned with, and they know the concepts of honor, and friendship, and truce and bartering. What they do, they have to do in order to survive in the unforgiving lands they inhabit. They follow their old ways to this day. They’re the warriors of the north.

FIGHTING BARBARIANS
The warriors of the north are ferocious fighters, but with scarce resources and a nomadic lifestyle, they usually don’t have access to the level of equipment that other human factions do. Many of them wear armor crafted from pelts and furs, and while some do boast metal armor, not least because it is a matter of prestige, the harsh climate of the north often has taken a toll on it over the years. Some barbarians even forego armor altogether, and instead paint their bodies with magic runes to call upon their ancestors to protect them from harm.

Their weapons are likewise often crafted from wood and bone, some of the few materials readily available to them, or have been handed down through generations and show signs of wear. Generally, all barbarian weapons have somewhat lower base damage values, but a higher percentage of damage that ignores armor than comparable weapons in the game. Of course, all their armor and weapons are lootable and equippable by you, too – and there’ll be named variants as well!

In combat, a barbarian warband doesn’t bother with formations, and they have no backline with polearms or dedicated archers. They are a horde of ferocious warriors in a constant shuffle of everyone trying to bring their weapons to bear against the enemy. They’ll shower you with throwing weapons, they run towards your line, and they make ample use of the ‘Adrenaline’ perk to overwhelm you before you can even strike back. They don’t fear death the same as other humans do, so they are not easy to break, and getting hurt will only further incite their barbarian wrath.

Because a barbarian warband is but a loose collection of individuals, unified only in their tribal bonds and their willingness to fight for their place in both life and afterlife, their unit types are quite diverse in terms of equipment and perks, as you’ll see in a future dev blog.

Murk

Arcane
Kalarion you're a good dude, but some souls cannot be saved. :hero: for trying tho.

edit: One hope I have for a lot of this new gear is that it isn't just new art with same old moves, but that they have different movesets as well (I'm thinking like the polehammer for example).

I liked the inclusion of crap-tier 2handers in the DLC, it helped allow the build you want to exist without having to pray for RNG or rush thousands of crowns for one weapon, but at the same time it was just a -1 version of the real deal. Having weapons that fit similar mods but function differently would be really good -- even if only one of the attacks was changed.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So finally someone is actually talking about the game with me instead of just being a fanboy prick? (but only after they've rated every single post of mine, of course) Ok, let's see how that works out. Are 'incliners' actually capable of 'incline' discussion? Or is the reason that discussion is so hard for these guys precisely because they are the opposite of 'incliners'...

This seems to be a constant source of anger for some people. I'm a chronic rater, and I also rate as I read. This isn't a case of specific targeting (I don't search for a user's posts and then go ham for instance). That's why all the negative ratings followed by a non-troll response... I got the feeling over the breadth of your posts (while rating them :D) that you really wanted someone to talk seriously about the game with you. Normally I try not to post at all unless someone directly asks me a question or quotes me, but I love this game so I made an exception (this is true across all games I have strong feelings about; BattleTech, Dragon Quest XI, the Avernums etc).

Response.

I think at this point it's a matter of differing tastes. We're both looking at, and agreeing on, the same set of facts about the game and coming to wildly different conclusions about all of it. So I'll just leave it at agree to disagree with a few specific exceptions as regards how you interpreted what I said.

Events are shit, detract from the game and you're a self-deluded retard for liking them. Also they're nothing like AoD!

The events did not waste any dev resources, because they were the province of a freelancing writer who spent (AFAIK) zero time developing the game proper. The devs themselves did not spend a significant portion of time or resources on them, aside from the artwork. The reference to AoD was to draw a very specific link with their believability given in-game inputs (in most cases, the backgrounds of the event-spawners). I listed the positive events as a followup to the previous sentence, where I said that negative events don't kill the game and there are a plethora of positive events. I do, of course, love me some positive events... but I also loved watching my Wildman getting punched across the map and receiving two injuries during a failed Unhold event, and I simultaneously giggled and screamed with rage when I allowed the brawling hedge knights event to progress to the point of having one of them literally brain the other with his bare hands. If that makes me a one-sided fanboy then well... guilty I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ambushes and surprise buttsex are neither interesting nor tactical

I disagree. They can be frustrating, or rage-inducing, but they're rarely boring or uninteresting. I find that being suddenly surrounded by goblins because you foolishly took on a 3-skull contract to destroy a goblin encampment and walked in expecting another day at the office to be rather invigorating :D. Sometimes the result of these unpicked fights is indeed a party wipe with no recourse. Most times I find the result is I win after my ass gets whipped across the map, or I run with my tail between my legs. And those "gotcha" fights are both rare and generally telegraphed by the text. Most of them also offer the option of walking away, with the attendant loss of a wanted/needed item and wounded pride of course.

I didn't need anyone's help I just don't like anything about the game!

C'est la vie.

I agree that the game has flaws, but I couldn't disagree more strongly with the erroneous conclusion that it renders the game shit. It's fun and interesting, the core gameplay loop is sound, and its flaws in this case just mean it has plenty of room to grow. Especially now that full modding is possible.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You still haven't clarified if we're even talking about the same thing yet. I'm talking about Ironman on Veteran difficulty all options set to the middle setting. Are you talking about the regular base savescum game?

This is a crucial point and one you don't ever address. I'm sure some people do find pleasure in a lootgrinder, path of exile is a very popular lootgrinder round here, for example, but when people discuss that game then there's a huge gulf between criticism of ironman and regular difficulty settings.

I'm personally not a fan of loot grinders generally, but i can play them for a bit. As I said, I thought BB was going to be a battle tactics game, where the hook was learning to beat gradually harder tactical scenarios. Instead its just a lolrandom roguelike on ironman and a fairly boring (IMO) lootgrinder on regular.

So are you referencing ironmam in what you say or are you speaking from the regular lootgrinding savescumming perspectuve?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So finally someone is actually talking about the game with me instead of just being a fanboy prick? (but only after they've rated every single post of mine, of course) Ok, let's see how that works out. Are 'incliners' actually capable of 'incline' discussion? Or is the reason that discussion is so hard for these guys precisely because they are the opposite of 'incliners'...

This seems to be a constant source of anger for some people. I'm a chronic rater, and I also rate as I read. This isn't a case of specific targeting (I don't search for a user's posts and then go ham for instance). That's why all the negative ratings followed by a non-troll response... I got the feeling over the breadth of your posts (while rating them :D) that you really wanted someone to talk seriously about the game with you. Normally I try not to post at all unless someone directly asks me a question or quotes me, but I love this game so I made an exception (this is true across all games I have strong feelings about; BattleTech, Dragon Quest XI, the Avernums etc).

Response.

I think at this point it's a matter of differing tastes. We're both looking at, and agreeing on, the same set of facts about the game and coming to wildly different conclusions about all of it. So I'll just leave it at agree to disagree with a few specific exceptions as regards how you interpreted what I said.

Events are shit, detract from the game and you're a self-deluded retard for liking them. Also they're nothing like AoD!

The events did not waste any dev resources, because they were the province of a freelancing writer who spent (AFAIK) zero time developing the game proper. The devs themselves did not spend a significant portion of time or resources on them, aside from the artwork. The reference to AoD was to draw a very specific link with their believability given in-game inputs (in most cases, the backgrounds of the event-spawners). I listed the positive events as a followup to the previous sentence, where I said that negative events don't kill the game and there are a plethora of positive events. I do, of course, love me some positive events... but I also loved watching my Wildman getting punched across the map and receiving two injuries during a failed Unhold event, and I simultaneously giggled and screamed with rage when I allowed the brawling hedge knights event to progress to the point of having one of them literally brain the other with his bare hands. If that makes me a one-sided fanboy then well... guilty I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ambushes and surprise buttsex are neither interesting nor tactical

I disagree. They can be frustrating, or rage-inducing, but they're rarely boring or uninteresting. I find that being suddenly surrounded by goblins because you foolishly took on a 3-skull contract to destroy a goblin encampment and walked in expecting another day at the office to be rather invigorating :D. Sometimes the result of these unpicked fights is indeed a party wipe with no recourse. Most times I find the result is I win after my ass gets whipped across the map, or I run with my tail between my legs. And those "gotcha" fights are both rare and generally telegraphed by the text. Most of them also offer the option of walking away, with the attendant loss of a wanted/needed item and wounded pride of course.

I didn't need anyone's help I just don't like anything about the game!

C'est la vie.

I agree that the game has flaws, but I couldn't disagree more strongly with the erroneous conclusion that it renders the game shit. It's fun and interesting, the core gameplay loop is sound, and its flaws in this case just mean it has plenty of room to grow. Especially now that full modding is possible.
Doesn't post often, but when he does, it's like Dos Equis.
Aye.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I thought BB was going to be a battle tactics game, where the hook was learning to beat gradually harder tactical scenarios. Instead its just a lolrandom roguelike on ironman and a fairly boring (IMO) lootgrinder on regular.

A common mistake for beginners.
lolrandom roguelike on ironman and a fairly boring (IMO) lootgrinder on regular
Yep that is all.
I mean combat system is fairly enjoyable and so grind/looting(well to the extent) but they dropped simulation for scaling and interactions with the world is limited. Devs also enjoy building enemies that are honestly unpleasant to fight(goblins, mass zombies) or demand cheese to beat them successfully(hexes/alps). Some of the annoyance come from design(like random recruitment which is essentially gold sink/roulette, shops that anyone barely buy anything instead of relaying on loot) that are to some extent fixed or bypassed thanks to some minor recent mods.
But yeah. You are right as a Darth Roxor was.
That doesn't meant that game is bad. Quite opposite. Its decent lootgrinder and pretty enjoyable if you don't expect much.
Also I personally have soft spot for graphics and music(the story and lore don't exactly sit with me).
For me this game is both great disappointment and guilty pleasure. But well I was following it from the beginning and expected much more. Still its not bad - probably the best in the genre in recent years - which is sad in its own way.
If you want blame anyone for this situation
BLAME THE KRAUTS

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started up Battle Brothers again after some time, and wtf happened to the alps? The redesign is even more tedious and dangerous. Bring back the old alps!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Apparently alps stop their summoning BS when you give general retreat order.

I wonder what would happen if hounds finish enemies off before company runs away from map?
Seriously alps still need tweaking.

tindrli

Arcane
And why can't they have ALF's? This game needs brown puppet aliens from Melmac.

Sounds like a game about modern politics.

totaly agree like 3 % chance of very special event. Devouring Melmac with 1 HP and 99,9% to miss
120809alf1.jpg

Salvo

Arcane
Quick question: is there any way to extract the art files from the game? They're really great and I would like to use them for something, giving due credit of course.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Quick question: is there any way to extract the art files from the game? They're really great and I would like to use them for something, giving due credit of course.
Just unpack them from data files. They are in gfx folder. Most are in lower res tho - for best you would be better asking Psen on their official forum.
Be wary though usage of art will make Psen send angry Kraut commando after you.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just unpack them from data files. They are in gfx folder. Most are in lower res tho - for best you would be better asking Psen on their official forum.
Be wary though usage of art will make Psen send angry Kraut commando after you.
Can you mode them assets with feet though?

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
banal fucking garbage thats beyond boring

release the fucking dlc so I can delude myself into trying to enjoy this for another dozen hours before the boredom and grind eat away at what is left of my gray matter

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom